Gods and Their Minions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Gods and Their Minions

Postby Malia on October 13th, 2009, 10:35 am

Since one of my favorite ways of RPing is RPing faith in gods (and I decided to include this aspect into my NaNo-story), the question about the god's minions came to my mind some time ago ...

So what do they actually do, and what do they look like? Are they shadows, people, monsters, or something completely different? I also read about the Alvina (half-gods?) who have something to do with faith too, I believe. I'd very much like to hear some details about minions in general.

And, if you like, I'm especially interested in Qualaya, her minions and how she treats and uses them.

I hope that someone can help me here or develop said sections at the Wiki soon.
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Re: Gods and Their Minions

Postby Gossamer on October 13th, 2009, 3:22 pm

A minion can be anything - human, priest/ess, animal, mineral, or vegitable. For instance, Caiyah - the Goddess of Flora and Fauna - uses plants and animals as her minions, and of course those who have gnosis marks by her. Leviku uses fish, marine mammals, and the races that owe their existence to him in part (Konti/Charoda). Zulrav uses the winds. Ivak uses any number of odd things found in the earth. In some causes it should be obvious. In others, it might be more subtle. I have no idea about Qalaya, or even what her gnosis is. You might PM Liminal.

The Alvina are the products of Gods and mostly humans interacting. The most famous is Kova's son by Ivak. But honestly I've seen signs of them scattered throughout Mizahar. Sunberth probably houses one or two minor Alvina - especially of Chaos. They are normally deities themselves, generally in some minor sphere (meaning level 4) though they have the capability of becoming full Gods if there is a vacuum because they do have more power than most. Nyke, I believe, is a city full of them. Syliras has at least one living in its boundaries and watching over the city, and most people have met him or will, though they don't have a clue what he actually is. They rarely give gnosis marks themselves, and they always produce normal mortal (if extremely gifted) children unless they eventually ascend to a higher level of power (3 or above).

Hope that helps.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Re: Gods and Their Minions

Postby Colombina on October 13th, 2009, 3:29 pm

Also, since gods can claim souls from the cycle of life and death for service to themselves, these people may count as minions as well. They're in a spirit form, for lack of a more appropriate term and have greater capabilities. Before they fell, the Ethefael were more elaborate and powerful creatures like this.
I assume every god may have their own visual style of those harvested for service. So far I've used one of these as a messenger for a god, a river guardian, or spirit guides for individuals. My versions have taken on aspects of both the god they serve and the people they're guiding.

Hope that helps. :)
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)