[Scholar's Asylum] Is this really necessary? [Eldritch]

Amelia comes in for a psychology evaluation

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Amelia Cross on November 8th, 2013, 10:53 pm

[64th day of summer 513.a.v.]
[The University]
[Scholar's Asylum]
[Early morning]

Head held up high like always, dressed in red and her black hair gathered in a neat ponytail for a change, the Cross girl walked through the city. It has been surely ages since Amelia was last in Zeltiva, she had not thought of returning nearly as soon and defiantly not by the circumstances given at this point. Then again, most of the things she has done in her life led her towards returning, someday, someway. She just didn’t know that day would come this soon and that she’d return while being a nothing. Here, she was nothing but one of those obnoxious students coming to Zeltiva for knowledge, and usually leaving with broken dreams, but was that really who she was or was it just a safer way to blend in?

As the black haired girl found her way to the entrance of the Scholar’s Asylum, you could finally see some of her confident and prideful mask cracking. This would be the first time in her life when she would enter this building, and from the rumors, she would like it if she wouldn’t have to enter at all. But life didn’t usually give you much choice when your task was set, so she just toke a deep breath through her nose and walked in.

Needless to say, the building didn’t seem much friendlier on the inside than it was on the outside, and you could feel the presence of the sick here, sick to the mind, soul and body. Amelia had spent most of her time learning of overgiving, she was sure she didn’t need to come here to know the risk of irresponsible magic use. Everyone who had ever thought her anything of magic, always noted just how risky it was...so why this?As her mind stopped concentrating on the building as much and focused on finding the clerk, or whoever was in charge and she could just get this whole thing over with quickly.

Once the clerk was found, Amelia smiled politely and handed the slip of paper to the woman ”I have an appointment, for the psychology evaluation” her smile was fake, but her true self didn’t feel like smiling in this building, it felt like running out and far away.

Amelia Cross
I Have More Than One Mask

Words: 519985
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2012, 7:32 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Eldritch on November 9th, 2013, 1:26 am

When approached by Amelia the woman at he desk would take the offered paper, examine it for a moment and smile up at the other woman. It was a rather plastic smile, the kind of grin that spoke of one needing to be happy by necessity rather than by actual want. She gathered up a key from the side of her desk and stood, nodding slowly.

"Ah, yes. Miss Loris is expecting you, Miss Cross. Please follow me." She said, starting up a nearby staircase.

Once they reached the top of the staircase the woman would start down a hallway, not casting any glances to the sights around her. The hallway possessed five doors on either side, into each were drawn intricate arrays of glyphs. Occasionally Amelia might hear the faint sound of chanting as she passed a couple of doors, the same sounds repeated over and over as some form of incantation.

Candles were lit at regular and controlled intervals and the building seemed to possess an artificial cleanliness about it. The whole place seemed to be some kind of façade made to hide the ugliness within, the truth of what magic could really do to those not prepared for its use. It was all very uncomfortable to those who let their imaginations wander.

The woman turned down another corridor, coming to a halt at another glyphed door. If Amelia were observant she might notice small and rather intricate runes etched into the metal of the key the woman placed into the lock. She turned the key and touched the handle, taking great care to avoid touching any of the glyphs on the door's surface. She beckoned for Amelia to enter.

When the wizard entered she would find herself in a room devoid of almost furnishing, it was completely sterile and spotless. The only creature comforts to be found were a small table in the center of the room, with two chairs position opposite one another. Sitting in the chair across from her Amelia would notice was a young red haired woman, her green eyes locked upon the wizard the moment she entered the room.

The door would be closed behind her and the sound of a key turning the mechanisms of the lock would be heard. It was clear that this place was not one that took chances.

The woman stood and extended her hand for Amelia to take, a beaming and genuine smile flashed her way.

"You must be Amelia Cross, its a pleasure to meet you. I know they call me Miss Loris, but please call me Bethany, or Beth if you prefer." She said, her tone light and perky.

"Why don't you have a seat and we will get started." She suggested, gesturing to the chair across from her.
Eldritch
Do you feel your sanity begin to fray?

Words: 237808
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Amelia Cross on November 9th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Amelia didn’t really speak as she followed the woman. Her mind was not all that interested in pointless chatter at the moment. What seemed quite unnatural of her, Amelia was what so many called a chatterbox, she could chat up almost anyone and not really think twice about doing it, just because the silence between two people seemed to bother her, but not now. This time, she was silent, her hands were crossed in front of her and she was much more concentrated on the interior of the building than anything.

As she walked through the corridor, the girl kept on doing her breathing exercises to calm her mind and body. The least thing she wanted was to appear nervous in front of the woman who was to determine her sanity. But it was hard, her concentration broke as she heard the faint voices coming from behind the doors on the sides. Forcing her to look at them, and finally notice just how fake this whole place looked. So pure, while she had heard enough things about this building to know that there is nothing pure about it…her vivid imagination couldn’t help but fill her mind with the horrible thoughts of what those doors hid behind them.

Before she noticed it, they stopped and were facing yet another door. It was an interesting sight to see, as even Amelia could tell it had glhypes on them, but what burned her interest was, why where they there? To keep someone out…or in? The question bothered her enough to not give her enough time to notice much of anything else happening, except the clerks way of opening them. She was so careful not to touch the glhypes that it was hard not to notice. It made her a bit more worried, causing another small crack in her mask of a calm porcelain doll.

Once the door opened, she saw the room, and to say she expected something else was to not say anything at all. Yet, she was glad it didn’t have anything to distract her with and she would have the chance to fully concentrate on the task at hand…though she had no idea how this would actually happen.

She stepped in, still smiling in her usual fake way, but it was so artificial that it blended in with this building quite naturally. The sound of the doors being locked behind her did cause her mind to echo the question, why like this? Why are they so careful? But she wouldn’t ask it and without a second thought she decided to become a bit more friendly with the woman ”If you insist on me calling you Bethany, I must ask of you, to call me Amelia” just in case the woman had thoughts of being once-sided-formal. ”so how does this happen exactly?”

Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Eldritch on November 11th, 2013, 10:40 pm

The red haired woman didn't miss a beat when Amelia insisted against formalities in the use of her own name, her brilliant smile never dimming by a single watt. She sat down gracefully, crossing her legs in a single fluid motion and gazing intently on Amelia. If anything the lack of protocol seemed to make her that much more pleased, though why was anyone's guess.

"Of course, Amelia. Not to worry, this is just standard procedure for any and all arriving students who would study magic. Would be instructors have to sit where your sitting as well, so you aren't alone. Trust me, I don't bite." She said, laughing at the end. It was a bubbly and happy sounding laugh, speaking of one who possessed high spirits even here.

The laugh and words would evoke a feeling inside of Amelia's breast, calm, followed closely by ease. The feelings would linger only for a few ticks unless seized upon by the would be student, vanishing into her subconscious. The woman started speaking again, dispelling any chances to examine the feelings more closely.

"Once I'm confident you are of suitable mental stability I'll send my recommendation to Professor Stonemiller, Head of the Magic Department and College of Djed. Once he approves everything you can begin your studies." The woman said, leaning back slightly in her chair.

As the red haired woman spoke more feelings arose within Amelia, the first one being confidence that was timed with the speaking of the words 'Once' and 'approves'. The woman seemed to think Amelia was of sound mind already, so naturally why wouldn't she think that she could do this? Unlike before the feeling lingered, staying for a much longer time. Bethany seemed ready to get started as she produced a sheet of parchment from the side of the table and moved it closer to her, an inkwell along with it.

"Lets start simple. I think getting a base is always best in these interviews. So, where are you from and what are you hoping to study as far as the Arcane goes? Not many are inclined to enter the College of Djed straight away after all." The woman observed, leaning back in her chair again and affording Amelia her full and undivided attention.
Eldritch

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Amelia Cross on November 12th, 2013, 6:36 pm

The woman seemed to be unnaturally friendly and welcoming, her smile, it was so bright and seemingly open, that it made the perfect façade of your local-friendly therapist. But the concern in her mind lingered, she still didn’t trust the woman, she had the power to make or break her and above all, the extensive defense they had here, seemed to worry Amelia. None the less, she sat down across from Bethany, waiting for the examination to begin. If she had to be honest, quite a few of the questions she had already thought over, trying to guess what would be the possible things asked here.

But as she joked, laughed and explained that this is oh such a common examination. An unnaturally strong, yet passing feeling of ease came to her, for a moment, all worries went to the side and seemed irrelevant to the current. But just as fast as it had come, it had gone away, leaving only a lingering feeling of curiosity in the pale woman’s head. Only to be followed by the sense of confidence and that little glimpse of hope as she was sure, this was something she could do, no doubt…but wait, was it really?

Bethany’s first questions came off as no surprises, they were the ones you could see occurring naturally and so, Amelia was prepared. She smiled at the woman and began explaining ”I was actually born in Zeltiva, this city is in my blood, but at one point my family decided to move to Syliras, as its considered as a calm and safe place among these land, since I was too young to actually decided about it on my own, I had little but no choice to follow” at this point, however, she didn’t quite mention details like being a citizen of Ravok by now, that her father was an agent of the Sun who was initially in Zeltiva for a mission, that seemed to her like the type of thing you could let pass by.

Questions regarding the arcane arts, those were reasonable and there was little to no thinking needed ”I’m fascinated by the arts, and what I wish to study is ghlyping and morphing…I must admit that eventually, picking up reimancy is also a dream of mine, but that is only a plan for the future” but this made her wonder, this woman is she also a magic user? It would only make sense, as someone working here would need protection…from themselves maybe.

”could she see through me?” was a thought that somehow lingered in her mind.

Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Eldritch on November 22nd, 2013, 11:58 pm

OOCSorry about the wait, lets get this thing rolling right along. :D

Bethany raised an eyebrow when Amelia mentioned that she was originally from Zeltiva, seemingly genuinely interested in that bit of information. Other than that the evaluator simply watched the other woman as she spoke, her same friendly smile upon her face. She nodded here or there as expected, listening intently to the information presented to her as it came. Something in her eyes glinted for a moment as Amelia mentioned her subjects of interest, whatever it was it vanished a moment later.

Once the other woman was done Bethany would start writing on a sheet of parchment, her quill a blur as it worked. If one were to actually look at what she was writing closely they would recognize common lettering, however it would appear to be complete and utter gibberish. Obviously the notes she took were coded, though the implications of that fact were left up in the air for Amelia to decide.

Once the red haired woman finished she regarded her guest with her same warm expression, though her eyes were rather thoughtful.

"Its always good to have native born Zeltivans return to the city of their birth, especially after that nasty business with the plague a while back. We occasionally get immigrants from Syliras as well, including a few mages trying to find a place more... open to their talents. What did you think of Syliras during your time there?" The woman said, leaning back in her chair.

"Glyphing is a good choice for anyone trying to expand their knowledge of the Arcane, safe and a very scholarly art. Morphing is rather respectable as well, I'm certain you'll do just fine in your studies. What prompted your interest into the realm of the Arcane? Do you have any prior training or education in regards to it?" She continued, quirking an eyebrow to show her interest.

Eldritch

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Amelia Cross on November 23rd, 2013, 10:58 am

Amelia might be worried on the outside, but she still made sure to smile and look welcoming and open on the outside, as good as she could pull off. She was curios and worried of what Bethany was writing down, what were the things she had said already that were worthy of noting…but she tell apart what she was writing from the place she was sitting, and just leaning over would have been too obvious and might cause bad notes to appear, so she refrained from trying to understand. ”calm down, not like you have any control over this” she reminded herself.

The woman seemed to be happily surprised to hear that Amelia was indeed born here, but the girl herself didn’t really give it much thought. After all, it wasn’t likely that just because she was born here, the evaluator would cut her some slack, if they would do it for anyone who was native….chances were that the city would be crawling with insane mages. However one particular thing interested her, a detail she did not know before ”Plague? I never heard of such events in this area, where the consequences…notable?”

She was unsure of how she should describe Syliras, Amelia hatted the place…with a passion. She saw the city as filled with filth, hypocrites, overcrowded and knights, as over-powered…but if she would tell the woman her feelings, she was afraid that she would ask why she hadn’t left sooner, leaving to more questions that might be slippery to answer. ”Syliras is a safe city, but overly dark and crowded for my liking. I enjoy nature, fresh air, sunlight and the wind running through my hair…the citadel doesn’t expend, so you were usually in someone’s way when trying to get somewhere” Amelia realized that she was being a bit too negative, so she decided to brighten things up a bit ”but no city is without flaws, and the flaws I saw in it, didn’t overpower the desire for protection and safety it could provide, and there were no threads for your life or freedom”

Amelia was not surprised about the woman’s reaction regarding the arcane knowledge’s she had chosen, for the most part. Glyphing was supportive and without the aid of more destructive arts, such as reimancy, it couldn’t really do much harm if any, or at least she was not familiar with such stories. Now regarding Morphing, she hadn’t expected the remarks to be so pleasant, Amelia herself saw the art more like a tool of an agent, a powerful one at that if you can master it.

Saying Amelia was caught off guard with this was not saying anything at all, she had no good way to explain this…her father wanted to have her study this art in the institute, to become a skilled servant of his god, Rhysol…but she didn’t want to mention any of that. In Syliras, magic is not looked upon nicely ”except the mage’s of the knights”” I met a man who introduced me to the arts, you must know that with all the security of Syliras and defensive positions they hold towards magic, they still have mages just like in any other city…”

”I have some experience, though it’s nothing of notable worth, except the theoretical studies of the…risks magic possesses”

Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Eldritch on November 30th, 2013, 10:39 pm

For perhaps the first time since Amelia had seen the woman, Bethany lost her bright expression and adopted a grave look. The woman bit her lower lip, seeming to recall something rather disturbing or unsettling. She set her quill down and leaned forward slightly, her eyes holding a slight trace of fear in them as she recalled whatever had happened during the plague.

"It seemed as though the city itself was visited by Vayt himself for a while, people dropping left and right of the foul sickness. When the dust finally settled there were a number of dead, the odd thing was that it just suddenly stopped. It wasn't gradual, no more new cases rose, just as quickly and suddenly as it had come it ended." She said, her tone hushed when speaking the name of the dark god.

With that the woman slowly settled back into her previously masked expression, the smile returning as she jotted down her encrypted notes. Her jawline seemed to tighten somewhat at the mention of Syliras' merits, whether this was a subconscious reaction or not was up to interpretation. Nonetheless Bethany continued to write even after Amelia finished speaking, pausing here or there to ponder this or that. When she finished she seemed more at ease than she had when speaking of the plague.

"Syliras... many wizards that come here seeking magical tuition do mention its somewhat oppressive views towards magic as a whole. While University is indeed more liberal towards magic, Professor Stonemiller is rather... strict in regards to safety protocols. Though, as long as you don't violate College law you should find being surrounded by fellow students heartening. I know I did once upon a time." She said at length, chuckling slightly.

"Also, I wouldn't worry overmuch as to not having prior experience. Should you pass this examination your introductory course will go into great detail as to the nature of magic, 'The Dangers of Overgiving' is taught here for rather obvious reasons. Both are good primers for new students." The woman said, nodding slightly.

"Now then, lets go a little deeper. What was your family life like? What did they think of your interest in the Arcane? Did they travel back here with you?" The woman asked.

Amelia would feel a warm tingle grow in her chest, almost like affection. It vanished and was followed by a question in her own voice, 'can I trust her?'. The thought would linger for much longer than previous emotions, though Bethany herself simply sat and waited silently for Amelia's response.
Eldritch

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Amelia Cross on December 3rd, 2013, 6:12 pm

It was hard not to notice that the woman’s face dropped as the plague was questioned. Out of humanity, Amelia could understand the cause, but her natural curiosity didn’t really let her ignore it, or announce her question as unimportant. Sure, she should have other things on her mind now, but this was interesting…fascinating! How could such a phenomenon even happen? Not to mention, Vayt was not a god she was familiar with, she heard his name for the first time and thus, another question snuck out of her lips ”Who is Vayt?”

So Amelia’s guess what correct, the woman was in deed a mage. It only made sense, since working here forced the need of being able to protect herself, just in case. Then the glhypes on the doors came to mind once more. What where they meant for exactly? Was it some kind of trigger? Did it react to her magic or others? Or did it have a whole new way of working as a whole. ”I…I am sure that I will find the experience fulfilling, I have returned to the city just recently, but already I can see that the people here are amazing, and the ones I shall be studying with will probably be even more welcoming” a genuine smile coming over her face, but only for a brief moment until she replaced it with the masked one, the one she could control.

The family question was clearly not something Amelia wanted to answer, but she decided that she could answer it without getting into the details of Ravok and The Black Sun. ”Well, My mother is an amazing woman, talented and kind, beautiful…she is a teacher of music, was one here and now she continues the trade in Syliras., She was not happy of my interest in the arcane, but she did not bash it, I believe its due to her origins being Zeltiva” now her father…on this she had to think over a bit ”Well, my father is a serious man, who was rather found of my interest in magic, he himself is much more found of poisons, that was what he studied here during the time he met my mother...he actually wanted me to pick up my studies on it”

So far so good, but she couldn’t help but think that she ha forgotten something, ah yes, did they come with her. ”and no, my parents did not travel with me”

Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Eldritch on December 6th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Bethany grew a little uneasy again at the subject of Vayt, clearly the plague was a touchy subject in Zeltiva or at least for the woman. She shifted uncomfortably in her chair, as though thinking about how to answer but not actually wanting to. The woman regarded Amelia with deadly seriousness, her warm expression gone and her eyes as hard as granite.

"Vayt is the God of Plague and Disease. Therefore it was his influence that brought the city to the brink, naturally he's a bit of a touchy subject around the city. My advice would be to be very cautious about where you speak the name and to whom." She said, returning to her mask slowly and jotting down her encrypted notes once more.

Her face took a rather funny expression as the word poisons was mentioned and she went back over her parchment, crossing something out from earlier and adding more underneath it. She continued to listen, occasionally glancing up as she wrote quickly, placing her quill down and steppling her fingers before her. An eyebrow was quirked.

"Interesting... poisons you say? Most interesting indeed. So you are here alone? Odd, though I suppose its not the first time." She said vaguely.

"In any of your practical studies of magic have you ever faced overgiving? Strained yourself far more than was necessary and normally possible? Please be honest, lying would be very unwise." Bethany said, her tone still warm and friendly.

At the word 'unwise' Amelia would feel a trace of fear cross her mind, fading once again into her mind after a few moments if she didn't latch on to the feeling. Bethany simply watched her carefully, a slight glaze over her eyes that would send a tingle down the spine of one attuned to magic.
Eldritch

Office
Scrapbook

Next