Solo Ever Vigilant (Part Two)

Seeing a plume of smoke coming from Sanikas Pass, Turrin leaves the Look Out to go investigate it.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Ever Vigilant (Part Two)

Postby Turrin on November 26th, 2013, 3:37 am

Time Stamp: 27th of Fall, 513AV
Who:Turrin

Leaning on the wall of the rock, Turrin started to count the small clouds floating by the Lookout. Currently, the Myrian counted seventy three since the crack of dawn. It was about double the amount he saw the previous day. Nothing much had happened since the large nor’easter that hit the region about a week ago. The land around Wind Reach and Thunder Bay was blanketed in a coating of white for miles and miles, and the wind had a slight winter chill to it. Looking out at Thunder Bay, he noticed the trees were starting to change varies colors ranging from yellows to browns. It was quite a sight, so he was starting to wonder if Drusilla would like to see the fall of colors from the air for her birthday. Turrin started to walk around the enclosure of the Lookout. Turrin decided to walk in the northerly direction to get a better look at the northern peninsula of the Unforgiving. As he walked around, the Endals' view was obstructed by a large fluffy cloud. When the cloud moved out of his line of sight, it revealed a vast mountain range with a scattering of snow covered volcano’s throughout it.

It was a amazing sight, and he wished that he could share it with someone. The first person who came to mind was kindhearted glassblower named Syveris. The Myrian didn't know why she was the first person to come to mind, but she had the uncanny way of making him smile. He didn't know what it meant not being able to get her smile out of his head, but he hoped he would be able to spend time with her in the future. Gliding a hand along the wall, he noticed another female Endal who has been here just as long as him. When he got closer, the woman had the hood off her katinu up, her arms crossed, and her head resting down on her chest. The Myrian slowed and started to walk more softly on the stone when he heard the sound of snoring coming from the ginger sentinel. The large hunter started to tip-toe trying to be as stealthy as the large man could be on a giant rock. When he got next to her, he reach out and grabbed her arm. The small woman jumped two feet into the air with a loud shriek that echoed through the enclosure. The Myrian endal let go of her arm, and the woman whirled around a smacked him in the arm and yelled at him in Nari, “What is wrong with you, Turrin! You scared me half to death! You arse...”

Giving her a amused grin, Turrin said innocently, “Oh come Naime. I did you a favor. What if a flight leader made a surprise inspection and saw you snoozing away on your post. You would be hauled in front of Mother Ilish Twilirk, so fast. You would wish you were a Yasi after she was done with you.”

Rubbing her eyes, the short haired Endal said with a hint of annoyance in her voice, “Still! It isn't nice to sneak up on someone!”

Turrin shook his head and said simply, “You think that I would let you fall. There is a reason that I held you when I grabbed you.”

The red hair woman shook her head and asked with yawn, “When are you up for parole, Turrin? If I have to put with you for four more days, I might throw you off the mountain.”

Leaning on the rock face next to her, the large Endal said, “I can leave tomorrow morning. I think I might hunt the wilderness on the peninsula. I know the area by the tip is sparsely hunted, so maybe I can find something worthy to bring home.”

Shivering, Naime crossed her arms and snorted, “Honestly, it doesn't matter where you go. The hunting is shyke everywhere near Skyinarta. If it isn't the cold weather that is scaring away the game, it will be the ground quakes. I am surprised Skyinarta hasn't blown it's top yet..."

Turrin shook his head and said softly, “Don't tempt the Gods, Naime. If Skyinarta ever has a major eruption, the Inarta would just be a chapter in a history book.”

“...I have little faith in the gods Turrin. Honestly I think that they are nothing, but trouble.”

“It doesn't matter if you have faith in them or not. They are a reality on our world, and you need respect them. Otherwise, you can draw their attention to you.”

“I'll take my chances...”
Last edited by Turrin on December 20th, 2013, 5:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Myrian, Common, Nari , Aponivi, Turrin

Thank you Nyxie Nadira Draer for the posting template.
Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Words: 581340
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 1:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Ever Vigilant (Part Two)

Postby Turrin on November 26th, 2013, 3:39 am

Looking out over the snow cover peaks, Turrin was silent when he complicated what the ginger woman said about the gods. He knew the gods didn't play much of a role in the daily life of Wind Reach, and most Inarta don't really have faith in the heavenly realm. Yes there are always exceptions, but the faithful seemed to be out numbered by the faithless in the mountain city. Turrin noticed a couple wind eagles dancing in the air below them. The dance between the two wind eagles consisted of dives, barrel rolls, and flying in tantalum. The rider was envious of them because he was sure that the wind eagles could only do those maneuvers with a more experienced rider or by themselves. Turrin knew that he would one day be able to fly on Aponivi like the two wind eagles right now, but he knew it would take some time and experience flying. The Myrian noticed the sun was starting to set and said to Naime, “Well, I my shift is over, so if you need anything. I will be in the common room.”

As he walked by her, he rested a hand on her shoulder as he continued making his way around the enclosure. Turrin understood the need for the Lookout, but the duty tended to be boring, tedious, and uneventful. Luckily, he wasn't here when the nor’easter hit because he heard the winds were quite hazardous up here. When he walked across the west face, the Endal noticed the sunset was bright amber color with splash of yellow and orange mixed into the scene. It was breathtaking, so the Endal just stood there and watched the Syna as it started descend in the sky.

Eventually, Turrin made it to the spiral staircase on the south side and made his way down the narrow stairs. When he was at the bottom, he noticed Aponivi laying close to the Naime's wind eagle. He didn't know her name, but he didn't want to interrupt them, so he walked over to the bench by the fire and sat down. Taking off his katinu, he draped it over the bench and heard Aponivi's voice in his mind.

I brought you a log to practice your ax throwing on Turrin. I have on request. Please practice away from us.

You have such little faith in me, Aponivi, but thank you for getting it for me.

Standing up, Turrin walked over to the wind eagles and picked up the hulk of wood. He gave the two large birds a nod of respect before he walked away to the far wall. Setting the log down, Turrin stood the log up, so the long part of the log was perpendicular to the floor. Unstrapping his throwing ax from his belt, he walked about five feet from the log. Holding the wooden handle of the throwing ax, he lifted the ax over his shoulder, and with a quick movement of his arm moving forward, he threw the throwing ax quickly at the log. The ax soared wobbly through the air, missed the target, hit the wall behind the wall, and fell to the floor with a loud clang. The Myrian looked over his shoulders and saw the two wind eagles staring at him, so he said with a weary smile, “Sorry..” Walking over to the log, the Endal picked up the throwing ax.

Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Ever Vigilant (Part Two)

Postby Turrin on November 26th, 2013, 3:43 am

Taking his original place five feet away from the target, Turrin lifted the ax once again over his shoulder, but this time he decided to throw the throwing ax a little slower. In stead of throwing it at max velocity, Turrin brought his arm forward and threw the ax at the extended target, but this time, he let the ax go with less velocity. The Myrian watched ax go end over end, but when it struck the log, the ax bounced off the log because the ax hit the log on the flat side if the throwing ax. Swearing to himself, Turrin retrieved his ax and went back to his original spot. Turrin held the stained wood of the ax handle and pointed the blade of the throwing ax at the log. He started to do a few practice throws at the log without throwing it to try to get his form down. Slowing down the momentum seemed to work better than throwing the throwing ax as hard as he could. When he felt like he got his form down, he lifted the ax over his shoulder and lobbed it at the log.

The throwing ax soared towards the log, but as the ax turned the handle of the ax hit the thick wood, bounced off, and landed on the floor next to the log. Walking over and picking up his ax, Turrin started doing some practice swings without the ax in hand. He wasn't quite sure how to throw the ax, so he might have to try different. Walking back to his spot five feet away from the log, Turrin lined up with his left foot out, his right back, and his right arm raised with the deadly ax in hand. Taking a deep breath, Turrin decided to not use the strength in his shoulder for the throw. He was just going use his arm muscles to propel the ax at the target. Turrin moved his arm forward and let go of the ax when it was in front of the target. The ax sailed threw the air at the target, but his aim was off and hit the ground to the right of the log. Now frustrated, Turrin picked up his throwing ax and walked back to the line. He wanted to at least embed the ax in it once, but it seemed like throwing a ax was much more difficult that he originally thought. When he picked it up, Turrin walked back to his spot and took up his position once again. Lifting the ax with one hand, Turrin took a deep breath as he brought his hand holding the ax up to the side of his head. When he was ready the throw, he put his hand forward and let go of it as his hand lined up with the target. The Myrian watched it fly towards the target, and when it struck the log, the metal blade of ax stuck into the would for a few ticks, but it eventually fell to the ground with a loud clang of metal.

Suddenly, Turrin heard someone run down the stair, and he saw Naime standing at the foot of the stairs. Walking over to his weapon, he reached down, picked it up, gave a questioning look at the Endal, and asked with a look of concern on his face, “What is wrong Naime?” The curly haired ginger took a deep breath and said simply, “We might have trouble, Turrin? Follow me.” Grabbing his Katinu, Turrin put on his Katinu, quickly walked to the stairs. and followed the other Endal up the stairs. When they got to the enclosure, he followed towards the eastern side of Lookout. The female Endal pointed towards the Sakinas Pass. Turrin noticed a large plume by the river. The Endal wasn't quite sure what to make of it. It could be a raid, wildfire, or just some dumb hunters making a camp fire to big for comfort. Turrin noticed Syna was starting to set. It might be a bell or two before Leth took her spot in the heavens. Turrin looked at Naime and said with a nod, “I will go check it. My shift is over tomorrow morning anyways, so it shouldn't matter if Aponivi and I left tonight.”

Naime shook her head and ask softly, “It might be two bells from nightfall, Turrin. Do you want to be stuck out there after dark?”

Walking past her, Turrin laughed out and said simply, “I can handle myself, but thank you for worrying about me.”

The female Endal said simply, “If you don't return by noon tomorrow, I will send a Endal out to assist you, OK?”

Stopping at the doorway leading down into the interior of the Look Out, Turrin smiled and said without looking at her, “You are a good friend, Naime...” With a nod of his head, Turrin disappeared down the stairwell.

Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Ever Vigilant (Part Two)

Postby Turrin on November 26th, 2013, 3:46 am

As soon as Turrin made it down the stairwell, the Endal was contacted by Aponivi. The Endal started to communicate with the large bird of prey as he placed the saddle blanket on the bird's back.

What is the matter Turrin?

Endal Naime saw a large plume smoke in the Pass. We are going to investigate it.

You know it two bells till night fall, Turrin.

Than we will be camping for the night, Aponivi.

Great, and I was looking forward to nice warm night in the Lookout tonight.

Walking over to the large saddle, Turrin bent down with his legs and gripped both ends of the leather seat. Using his leg muscles to lift the saddle, he hoisted it to his chest, walked it slowly to Aponivi's side. Setting it down on the ground, Turrin stretched out his shoulder and back muscles for a few chimes before he knelt down placed his hands on each side of the saddle and lifted up to his chest with grunt. When the saddle was by his chest, he used his arm muscles to slowly lift it over his head. The Myrian could feel his arm muscles start to shake, ache, and burn when he was able to raise it over his head. Eventually, he set the large saddle hard on the Aponivi's back and the bird just glared at him with annoyance. The eagle stood up slightly, so the large Endal started secure the two leather straps that hold the saddle in place. When the straps were nice and tight, Turrin walked over to his backpack and grabbed his backpack full his outdoor gear, his talon sword, short bow, and his quiver full of arrows. Securing his gear to his body, the Endal his right foot in the leather stirrup of the saddle and swung his left foot over the back of the wind eagle and said out loud to his feathered friend, “Come on Aponivi. We need to fly fast to beat the sun before it sets.”

It didn't take long for Aponivi to quickly move the opening in the side of the rock. The wind eagle reared his large white head at Turrin, so the Endal gave the large bird a nod of his head to signal for him to take off. The turned his head to late afternoon sky and jumped off the side of cliff. Turrin bent forward in his saddle and held onto the side of the eagle with his legs. The wind eagle free fell for about three thousand feet before the eagle opened his wings and banked in a easterly direction around the mountain. Turrin had to hold onto the saddle for dear life to not be blown off the back of the descending bird of prey. When the eagle started to fly around the mountain, the half Myrian had to move his body towards the direction of the wind eagle was flying. Turrin looked over towards the side of the mountain and contacted Aponivi.

You are flying awfully close to the side of the mountain, Aponivi. I think the mountain goats are staring at us.

Aponivi ignored his comments as the pair flew about fifty feet away for goats. Eventually, the wind eagle came around the other side, and Turrin looked down and saw the long line of wagons from Thunder Bay waiting their turn to deliver their goods to the city. The Endal must have been about one hundred feet above the crowd as he flew over crowd at Sanikas road. Aponivi flapped his wings slightly as he road the air leading do the long valley road. Turrin contacted Aponivi and told him to fly towards the large plume of smoke. It took him about half a bell to get to the spot of the smoke, but the black smoke was obstructing his vision, so he decided to do a couple fly-byes to scout out the situation. The first fly-bye Turrin didn't see much other than a faint outline of wagon in the smoke and saw a couple of bodies laying in the shallow snow. The smell had a definite smell of odor of fat to it. The Endal was curious if the wagon could be carrying whale oil and possible vegetable oil since Thunder Bay had the Processing Center there. Turrin figured the wagon must have lost control on the slippery surface on the icy surface.

Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Ever Vigilant (Part Two)

Postby Turrin on November 26th, 2013, 3:50 am

One the second fly-bye, Turrin decided to fly towards the road, and he saw half eaten body of human lying in the road. Turrin pointed to the road and said out loud to Aponivi, “I want to check out the body of the man, OK?'

Alright hold on Turrin.

The Wind Eagle banked right to turn and turned around in the air. When the wind eagle flew over the body, the giant eagle started to flap his wings quickly, so it made slower decent down to the ground. When Aponivi touched down, Turrin jumped off the eagle onto the wet ground. He noticed the melting snow was already starting to freeze in the cool evening air. Eventually, the Endal got the body and saw the abdomen was completely torn opened and the legs arms were torn from the torso. It was a grisly site, but Turrin wasn't surprised that the predators of the Unforgiving are turning to new prey since their natural prey was dwindling around Mtn. Skyinarta, so the predators went to the next largest food source in the area the Inarta. The Endal knew that the Caiyha was sending a message to the godless Inarta. The Myrian said a soft prayer to the nature goddess and turned his attention to the different tracks around the body. Turrin noticed there was four sets of tracks in the mud. First was a three different sets of animal tracks in the mud. The Endal first noticed a large oval shaped track in the mud. The oval was split down the middle by a location slight raised from the indentation. Turrin stood up and noticed a dead oxen laying by the smoldering wagon, so he figured the oval indentation was made by the oxen.

Looking back at the other sets of tracks, he noticed the they had five indentations with triangle indentations sticking out from the front four. He looked at them for a chime and wondered where he had seen them before, but the tracks were all around body, so he figured this predator killed the Inarta. Standing up, Turrin saw long line of wagon tracks in the mud, but when it got to about this spot, The wagon tracks start turning to the edge of the road. Seeing there was no human tracks, Turrin wondered if the Inarta was ambushed by the predator. Running his hand through his hair, he look at Aponivi for a moment and contacted the large bird.

I have a feeling the wagon was ambushed by the predators on there way to Wind Reach. I am surprised that nobody stopped to see if anyone was alive...

Why would anyone stop Turrin if they came upon this scene? Human's are skittish around such things like death, so they probably just drove past it with their tail feathers between their legs.

Unfortunately, I think your right, Aponivi...

Deciding to check out the wagon, Turrin walked to the edge of the road and noticed it was a kind of a steep incline twenty feet down rocks to the valley below, so he got back onto Aponivi and both of them flew down down to the burnt out wagon. The smell around the wagon was quite pungent with the smell of burnt oil around him. He wondered if the smell of the oil could have attracted the hungry predators to the wagon. When he got to the wagon, two other men were laying besides it. The corpse of the man was completely cooked by the fire of the wagon, and the women who was a little bit away from the wagon looked like she broke her neck in the fall, and her body was once again eaten like the body on the road. He shook his head when he saw the same tracks of the predators around the wagon too. Turrin frowned when he noticed a pair of small human tracks heading into the snow covered valley. The Endal frowned deepened when he saw the predators following after the human tracks too. Looking over at the setting sun, Turrin sighed and said out loud to Aponivi, “These predators have a taste for human flesh now. I will have to kill them before they kill another Inarta. Tomorrow we will hunt my friend.” He wasn't sure if the human could survive the night being tracked by the predators, but he said a prayer to Myri that the goddess gave the human a fighting chance.

Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Ever Vigilant (Part Two)

Postby Skerry on December 15th, 2013, 8:26 pm

Grades

Turrin

Skill XP
Observation 5XP
Riding (Wind Eagle) 2XP
Socialization 2XP
Stealth 1XP
Tracking 2XP
Weapon (Throwing Axe) 4XP

LORES :
  • Stealth: Surprising others
  • Throwing axe: Don't throw too fast
  • Throwing axe: Throwing stance
  • Devoured bodies are a grisly sight
  • Tracking: Identifying tracks

Notes:
An interesting little thread, Turrin. I look forward to reading the conclusion. Just a friendly reminder to try to keep your paragraphs a reasonable size as some are still a little long.

Remember if you have any questions or problems with your grade then feel free to PM me.

Skerry
The Volatile One

Words: 121644
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2013, 10:00 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook