Steps to Manhood[Charon]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Steps to Manhood[Charon]

Postby Hatot on May 11th, 2010, 3:59 am

Hatot slowly dragged his hand across his brow once again as sweat was beginning to pour down from under those locks of hairs that hovered along his bangs. He listened carefully to Nabros’ instructions as he began hammering over a small piece of iron with a smaller hammer. He observed the subtle taps along the heated metal and sudden turns as he flipped the metal over every now and then to the other side. Hatot finally gave a nod as Nabros as he gave him final words of instruction and them let him go on with practicing on his own, but under a close supervision none the less.

Hatot grasped the light hammer, taking a couple of idle swings for a moment as he observed the weight. He then grabbed the large tongs, picking up a couple pieces of iron and steel, setting them into the furnace to heat. While he waited, he soon began thinking about what Nabros said, about how a part of an Akalak’s soul went into the Lakan they forged. He hadn’t studied the use of a Lakan as much as he did hand to hand techniques, but he did recall suddenly some of the Akalak’s discuss such from time to time. It was more than a metaphor, and he began to wonder if searching his own soul would be enough. Would he have to search Radris’ soul as well, and he his? Neither of them had been much for the philosophical, and he would have to perhaps meditate on the matter, for that is how he did his soul searching in the long run.

Hatot grabbed the tongs, slowly reaching first to a slab of iron, noticing that it had become red hot much quicker than the steel was. “A softer metal,” Hatot though to himself as he laid it casually over the anvil. “If it was softer, it’d be easier to manipulate over the anvil, easier to shape.”

Hatot then slowly began giving light taps to the iron as he started at the base. Even the subtle light taps caused a distinctive dip in the surface of the metal as it subtly rolled down the length of the iron piece like a wave with each tap, flattening the iron slightly and increasing it’s overall length. “Still, a softer metal means more easily broken in the end.” Hatot thought to himself as he found himself suddenly folding the iron over and hammering the fold together, shortening the length. “While I’m not likely to use a Lakan all that much, I wouldn’t want to have it suddenly break on me in the middle of a fight if I was using it.”

Hatot slowly slipped the piece of iron back into the furnace, this time reaching to the piece of steel. As he began tapping away at the steel, he noticed that the hits brought along it’s surface impacted with significantly less effect than with the iron. The steel was stronger, and would take more time and patience to form into something. Whether it was a weapon, tool, or even something as simple as a utensil such as an eating knife. “Steel is definitely a metal more preferable to iron in terms of strength.” Hatot said to himself as his brow knotted up slightly, finding the metal cooling off a little more rapidly. “However, it’s more difficult to manipulate. One would have to reheat it several times more than iron while forming it’s shape.”

Hatot then began to the process of reheating the steel once again, taking the iron pieces out for now and focusing more on the manipulation of steel itself. He may have been still too inexperienced for the metal itself, but such did not stop him from trying as he brought out the heated steel and began hammering over it once again, switching every now and then between the two different sized hammers that Nabros had shown him. Time seemed to move more slowly as Hatot concentrated on the steel, trying several times to make a shape similar to one Nabros had shown him earlier, but to his surprise, he noticed that the light of the sun was beginning to wane as he glanced outside for just a moment. What only seemed like minutes, staring at the heated glowing surface of metal, with the background of the anvil and small flying sparks with each hit of the hammer, hours had passed by. His time consumed by failure on served to frustrate Hatot further.

“My Gods, what are you so grumpy at?” Radris suddenly echoed in his mind. “I’m supposed to be the angry one here, but your disposition has actually woken me from my sleep.”

“Just go back to that sleep Radris.” Hatot echoed back as he raised the hammer again, letting it fall along the heated steel. His arm that swung the hammer was already tired, starting to feel like it was ready to go numb and just lay at his side. “I’m busy with something now and you would only serve to further distract me.”

“I know, hammering away at the steel.” Radris said as Hatot felt his hand which gripped the tongs twitch slightly, shifting the metal to the side as he missed the mark he was aiming for slightly. “Let me give it a try.”

“No, you would only beat and scream at the metal, hoping it would fear and submit to you.” Hatot replied as he tried to force the control that Radris tried to wrest from him back down. “You just made me miss on my swing, just leave it be.”

“Oh, and your method of pleading the metal with gentle strikes is working so well?” Radris replied once again trying to take control as the hammer suddenly fell down with great force along the metal. “Step aside you little blue woman.”

“Ape! You just mangled the steel now.” Hatot yelled, his focus on the actual hammer striking now slightly more focused on Radris.

“That steel needs to be mangled, let it know who’s boss!” Radris yelled back, letting the hammer fall again with more force while the hand the held the tongs moved slightly again.

“It’s an inanimate petching object, you barbarian!” Hatot yelled at Radris, as the strikes almost seemed to be random now to any who looked on.

“You’re an inanimate petching object, you silk covered milk maiden!” Radris yelled, as he continued to try and force himself to the surface.

“Beast!”

“Pacifist!”

“Rabid mongrel!”

“Butterfly!”

“Your soul must have been spewed forth from the pits of the dirtiest cesspool!”

“Bah! Your mother laid with leprous Zith!”

“She’s your mother too! You berserking moronic petch!”

“………………….Okay, point.”

As the hammer continued to fall, and Hatot and Radris continued to bicker, neither one seemed to notice what shape it was taking. Before long, a verbal growl escaped Hatot’s lips as his hand suddenly shot upwards, lifting the steel from the anvil as it was held in front of him. Both Hatot and Radris then fell to a calm state as the observed the mangled piece of metal. It’s shape was terribly uneven as even less balanced as the flat of it curved and waved like some abstract piece of art. However, they both still stared at it, seeing something behind it, as the cold part of the steel remained strait, signifying the hilt of the weapon, while the blade itself curved downward in front of hilt itself, instead of up above it.

“Huh.” Hatot said simply in his mind.

“I know.” Radris replied in a calm echo.

“It would be practical to our needs, rather than a blade that goes strait upward.” Hatot said curiously, tilting his head slightly.

“I can already imagine myself using it.” Radris said, an almost excited tone in his voice.

“I know, I can faintly see what your mind is picturing.” Hatot replied in an almost distasteful tone.

“We’re not going to start with the name calling again, are we?” Radris then said.

“No,” Hatot echoed back, setting the steel down to along the anvil, allowing it cool. He slowly laid his hands along the edges of the anvil, as he continued to study the ugly, but basic shape, imagining further how a finished version would eventually look.

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Words: 301214
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2010, 8:12 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Steps to Manhood[Charon]

Postby Charon on June 6th, 2010, 1:58 am

After completing some chores around the shop and taking care of another customer, the shopkeeper made a point to check on the progress of his pupil. Some time had passed and he had hoped the man would have taken it upon himself to try different things and really start to hone his skills. Through experimentation and learning, Nabros expected the learning Akalak to create something that more or less resembled a metallic cacophony of bends and points and pelted iron. As the design process unfolded beneath the hammer wielded by both Hatot and Radris, the metal itself was not too far from what the instructor had previously imagined.

The personalities contained within the body introduced as Hatot battled each other for possession of the creative process. The result was nothing less than shocking to both mindsets splitting the responsibility of creating the thing being held before their eyes. The Lakan was truly part of an Akalak from creation until long after the body dies and that means both their lighter and darker sides are represented in its being. Not a single Lakan looks or feels identical to another and that is primarily due to the process just witnessed by Hatot himself. Some are more wretched to the eyes than this initial prototype and others seem so perfect that they must have truly been created by a deity.

As Nabros approached Hatot, still starting in a curious amazement at what he, or they, had done, he squinted his eyes and cocked his head to get a better understanding of what and how this item came to be. Perhaps it was beginners luck, but in order to replicate such a design intentionally would take a masterful craftsman. In fact, to even conjure up the idea of this weapon would take a mind not completely grounded in this world. Nabros allowed his gaze to slowly shift from the metal creation to the man who created it without changing his curious look.

Shrugging his large, built shoulders as if pushing a weight off of them, Nabros spoke. "Well, I certainly was not expecting anything like that. But I suppose anything is possible. Please feel free to continue to use the resources available here as long as you want, but to be honest, what you have does not look half bad. I've seen worse, at least." It was true. Some Akalak who had spent an entire season or more trying to create their weapon had settled for objects looking less sturdy and less useful than what Hatot held currently. "The strength of the Lakan, though derived from the structure and material used during creation, comes from your spirit. If you would like to try and improve upon this, if this is even something close to what you want, then be my guest. Otherwise, be sure to spend some time alone with your creation if you have settled upon this. Just let me know what you plan on doing." The Akalak stood there, his eyes returning to land back on the unique weapon before him. There really was no other title to label to it than an Akalak Lakan.
| - Riverfall - | - Akalak - | - Starting Guide - |

Charon
Fiendish Ferryman

Words: 99186
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2010, 1:36 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Staff account
Office

Steps to Manhood[Charon]

Postby Hatot on June 9th, 2010, 2:06 am

ImageHatot continued to stare at the warped piece of metal for a moment before looking over it until Nabros’ voice drew his attention from it. “I’m thinking I’ll have to switch over to iron as it will be easier to shape in the long run,” Hatot then mention, “but this is appealing to me. I’ll need to fine tune the shape, however.”

Hatot then slowly laid the smith hammer back into it’s proper place, still occasionally gazing down over the prototype design to his lakan. It was a simple shape to start off with, but it could be better. Finally, Hatot’s gaze rose to meet Nabros’ once more. “The hour is growing late, however, and I feel I shouldn’t keep you up all night, as well as other citizens with the bang of a hammer.” Hatot then said, looking outside to the night filled sky and the slowly dying traffic of the city walkways. “If you don’t mind, I would like to come back tomorrow and work further on this, and do you mind if I take this sample with me to further contemplate on what my lakan’s shape will be in it’s final stage?”

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Steps to Manhood[Charon]

Postby Charon on June 19th, 2010, 12:37 am

Captured by the complexity and simplicity coexisting in the design of his carefully and argumentatively created prototype, the voice of the master smith almost shocked Hatot. His world, though shared by two strong and often opposing forces, somehow seemed to be contained within the awkward bends and twists of metal he held within his grasp. Though he was unaware of the exact exchanges occurring in Hatot’s mind, Nabros knew something was happening that he rarely saw in such fresh students. ”Of course you are more than welcome to return. I’ll be here and so will the tools.

Taking a longer moment to gaze at the creation for himself, Nabros allowed a slight smile to creep along his lips. Hatot certainly was experiencing the appropriate steps required to create his own Lakan, but he had reached that stage where, for the first time, the flesh and blood of his Akalak body felt something more, something hardly describable with words, toward this work of metal. It was only a sample, a prototype for things to come, but it was encouraging that Hatot was feeling this so early. Nabros replied, I don’t think you have much of a choice but to take the thing with you! He motioned toward the weapon as he spoke and let his grin expand toward the student. Go off and get some rest or whatever you young ones like to do with their playthings. Tomorrow should be a light work day so feel free to use this furnace as you wish. I’ll be around if you need any help.

Nabros allowed his gaze to linger again at the creation before nodding again and turning. Things were progressing well and, just like with most Akalak while they endure the process of creating their soul-bonded weapon, Hatot did not require much in they way of true help from the old, but hardly diminished weapon smith.

Charon
Fiendish Ferryman

Office

Steps to Manhood[Charon]

Postby Hatot on June 26th, 2010, 9:08 pm

Hatot gave a nod the Narbos, slowly lowering the mangled, yet curiously shaped piece of metal down towards a bucket of water, fully cooling the metal off as it sizzled, causing the surface of the water to jump and dance around. The tongs were placed back along the wall before he gave a final look to Nabros. “Thank you for your patience and wisdom in my lessons. I shall return tomorrow to further work on this.” Hatot then said, giving a bow to the master smith.

“I think I may be excited about this, you sure you don’t want to continue working on it tonight?” Radris echoed into Hatot’s head.

“We need to agree on a final look,” Hatot said as he moved his feet along the ground idly, still staring down at the curved piece of iron. “If we don’t agree on that, then we won’t be swinging the hammer strait tomorrow when it comes to making it.”

“Right, right.” Radris said, Hatot finding his responses to be surprisingly more civil that usual. “We’ll eventually have to make two of them. I plan to go double fisted with these things.”

“Three.” Hatot replied as he began walking towards the city exits, forgoing staying at Sanctuary tonight. He felt his time concentrating would be best spent in meditation.

“Three? Why?” Radris said, a confused tone in his voice. “You want a spare in case we lose one or something.”

“One will go to Kavala, we are honor bound to present her one for what she’s done.” Hatot replied, pulling the hood of his cloak over his head.

“That’s shyke. She didn’t save our lives.” Radris replied.

“If not for her advice, Radris,” Hatot said in a stern tone, “you would still be caged and I likely wouldn’t even be working on a lakan right now.”

“I still refuse. She has reservations about that, I can see it every time she interacts with me.” Radris said, causing Hatot to stop in his steps just outside the city. “Make your third, but until she buries her chains, everything she did in my mind was done out of a simple instinct of self preservation. She still has too much fear. If she were to take a blade for us, or brings us back from the brink of death, that’s a whole different matter. However, simply telling you something useful so she wouldn’t have to chance being next to me when I came out to vent after having been cooped up for sometimes up to a full season, that’s not enough for me.”

Hatot stood there, motionless and silent for a long moment. There were times where, as easy as it was, he couldn’t argue with Radris. With a slow exhale released, Hatot shook his head slowly, continuing to walk towards the great falls to begin meditation. “Very well, I’ll let you decide when she gets it then.” Hatot said, simply surrendering the decision to Radris this time around.

“And another thing,” Radris said before pausing for a moment. “Oh, okay. Good. Anyways, I feel there should be grooves along the top part of the curve. They could snag clothing and drag an arm to the side, as opposed to just cutting through. It’ll create other openings.”

The next day, Nabros would find Hatot waiting outside his shop before it was even opened, kneeled before it his eyes closed and his lakan sitting along his lap as he was deep in meditation. There was a sense of calm, but duality that emitted from him in this state, and as Nabros laid his hand along Hatot’s shoulder and his eyes opened, he could see a different color in the iris’ of his eyes, as swirls of red and gold mixed around, neither becoming the full color. Subtle greetings were exchanged, and Nabros would note a certain drive in Hatot that was lacking the day before, as well as a certain excitement as he began to slip on an apron and begin heating some metal.

“If you could please let me know how much I will owe you for the materials that I use?” Hatot said, his tone of voice shifting between almost calm and blunt in his speech. “I’ve a feeling I will have more than one failed attempt and don’t wish to end up loosing track of the coin involved.”

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Steps to Manhood[Charon]

Postby Charon on August 9th, 2010, 12:40 am

ApologiesI'm very sorry this has gone without moderation- I thought I had asked Puck to finish this up so that your Rite could continue even during my absence! We'll try to get this finished as soon as we can, though.

The meditation on this morning had the physical resemblance of a routine action, but the mental feelings and messages delivered were unique in one way or another. The labor he had been putting in toward the creation of the extremely important weapon that defined his passage into the Akalak society would wear a normal man down until his muscles withered away from atrophy and his mind melted from concentration. Creating a Lakan, however, empowered an Akalak and drove the individual to physical and mental capacities they never imagined they could achieve. It was a natural occurrence in every adult Akalak's life and at some point or another, each would experience the adrenaline and energy that surges through their body when the weapon finally emerges from metal and components and becomes their personal connection to a physical world unseen by mortal individuals.

No, this morning of meditation left Hatot with a unique taste remaining on his tongue. A special determination lingered within his mind when Nabros stirred him awake and the Akalak knew that this day would be different from the last. Sure, he would still be hammering and shaping metal to create the tool which he would use in his upcoming Rite, but something else would be present there that, at this moment, Hatot was unsure of the meaning. Soon, the Akalak would feel himself connect to his finished product in such a way that any other race could never quite grasp.

"Come on in," the large smith said warmly to Hatot as he opened the shop up for the day. "Lets not worry about prices and keeping up with debts. You have far too many important things to keep in mind right now to bother yourself with that. And, I can definitely tell prices of materials is not where your mind is as we speak!" The last line was delivered with a knowing grin and light heart. This was always a special moment for Nabros, when he realized the young craftsman was beginning to understand the meaning of the Lakan and was ever closer to wielding his unique weapon for the first time.

Charon
Fiendish Ferryman

Office

Steps to Manhood[Charon]

Postby Hatot on August 12th, 2010, 5:51 am

Hatot gave a bow to Narbos, “I thank you again.” Hatot then said before stepping inside as he went to work immediately.

He reached out, grabbing one of the thick vests as he slipped it over his head. The bucket of metals from the previous day still sat along the floor next to the forge. He opened the door to the oven itself, his head turning slightly as that initial wave of heat hit him again. It was something he would have to grow accustomed to in the long run. His gaze then dropped down to the bucket, as he reached out to the tongs, grabbing first a piece of Iron from the metals and slipping it into the oven. He moved over towards the tools then, grabbing the hammers he had been working with previously. “So, what do I handle?” Radris echoed, a hint of excitement in his voice.

“The swings of the hammer,” Hatot replied, “but please do not just put all of your strength into every one. There will be times where a little fineness will be called for.”

“Hey! I’m all fineness motherpetcher!” Radris suddenly echoed loudly.

“And quite the colorful way of pointing out that fact.” Hatot replied, slipping on some gloves as he waited patiently for the iron to begin heating up.

A short time passed then before Hatot reached in to the oven with the tongs, pulling out the heated iron now as Radris reached out with the smaller hammer first. He laid the hot iron over the edge of the anvil, taking a slow breath as he looked down to the iron. Radris slowly raised the hammer into the air, hesitating for a moment as he waiting for Hatot to use words of caution or feel some sort of nervousness out of him, but in the end he got nothing of the sort from Hatot save for patience and concentration. So instead of swinging it down fully, as he would have, Radris then lowered the hammer a bit more, and began striking the iron far back close to where the metal was still cool. The iron began to bend and angle as Radris tapped at it repeatedly with Hatot angling it using the tongs.

Eventually the metal began to curve around on itself as it was raised every now and then to check the angle and the curve of what would become the blade. Soon, after heating the iron a little more, Hatot laid the iron along the Anvil again, as Radris began striking the iron harder, this time with the larger hammer as he began to fold and flatten the iron itself, repeating the process as a slow frown crossed his features for a moment, spotting a flaw in the either the shape, length, width or angle. He gave a slow exhale after the fifth failed attempt, thinking for a moment. “It’s not working out quite as I had planned.” Hatot echoed to Radris then.

“It’s a pain in the ass I say. We can’t shape the blade first and then bend it back to come in front of the hilt because it will just ruin the shape of the blade then.” Radris echoed back. “And we can’t angle it in front of the hilt first and then shape the blade because hilt gets in the way of the blade for shaping.”

“How to get past this then.” Hatot echoed back as he thought for a moment. “Does the blade have to be a full tang piece of metal into the hilt? Why not have the hilt and blade be two separate pieces forged, and the fused or bolted together? Or both?”

“I think it would reduce the overall strength and integrity of the weapon, but I’m not a smith, so why you asking me?” Radris echoed back.

“Quite true.” Hatot echoed back before turning to Nabros. “Instructor Nabros, if I may? I seem to be having trouble when it comes to the shaping of the weapon itself. Is there a way to accomplish the shaping of the blade, or would it be more practical to forge the hilt and blade separate, sacrificing a full tang blade?”

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Previous