Of Tinctures and Poisons, Part 2

Valerius works at the KRI and learns more about herbalism and poisonmaking.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on November 25th, 2013, 4:41 pm

Fall 64, 513 AV

As Valerius entered the Kelvic Research Institution that day, a book was waiting for him at his usual workplace. He was about to take a look at it when he noticed that there was a note lying next to it. It read, This is a book that covers the basics of poisonmaking. I told you that I wanted to teach you about poisons, but I don’t want to have to start completely from scratch. Pay particular attention to the different kinds of poisons. I want you to pick one or two poison families that you want to work with in the future. The note was signed with ‚G. A.‘ which Valerius assumed was ‚Gaius Alzelin‘. Since there were still a few chimes before he had to go and assistant the doctor and his aunt and do a few slightly demeaning jobs like cleaning cages, Valerius grabbed a chair and sat down to read the book.

He also took a quill, a vial of ink and his notebook. He had come to the conclusion that it would be good to summarize the most important chapters. The first chapter of the book did of course cover the equipment that was necessary to make poisons, which, as it turned out, wasn’t all that different from the equipment that Doctor Alzelin and he had used the day before to make tinctures and teas. Still, Valerius decided to summarize it nevertheless, for completion’s sake:

A level working surface is important when one wants to make poisons to reduce the likelihood of spilling something. Furthermore one needs test tubes, beakers and a few bowls to mix different substances as well as a mortar and pestle, sharp knifes and tweezers as well as a source of heat.

He turned the page and started working on the next chapter:

There are different methods of delivery for the poison. Ingestion is one of the easiest and fastest methods as the poison is introduced directly to the inside of the target’s body. Ingestion poisons are usually solid or liquid. As such creatures that do not possess digestive systems are not susceptible to ingestion poisons.

As he wrote that he frowned slightly. What kind of creatures didn’t have digestive systems? Probably none that he was interested in experimenting on. He continued to write.

Poisons can also be delivered through touch. A contact poison can take any form, even gas form. Creatures that do not possess permeable skin are not susceptible to contact poison. Another method of delivery is inhalation. The poison can only be delivered through inhalation if it’s a gas or gives off toxic fumes. Exposure to inhalation poisons can be avoided by holding one’s breath. Creatures that do not breathe are immune to inhalation poisons. That, he decided, would be important to remember if he ever dealt with a Nuit. Was there even a kind of poison that worked on undead beings?

Poison can also be delivered through an injury, in other words by attacking the target with a poisoned weapon. This is the fastest method of delivery after ingestion. Inhalation and contact poisons are more difficult to deliver and easier to defend oneself against. Lastly, there are also magical poisons. They can either be magically imbued or modified.

One most also note that there are two types of damage caused by poison, the initial damage that is caused immediately after exposure and the secondary damage that is caused a bell after exposure or later.
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Words: 470233
Joined roleplay: February 11th, 2012, 6:39 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on November 26th, 2013, 4:58 pm

There is also a difference between poison and venom. A venomous creature is a creature that has a natural poisonous attack or defense mechanism. Poisons that are crafted from the organs of an animal are not venoms, even if the animal in question is venomous. The distinction between poisons and venoms was rather unnecessary in Valerius‘ opinion. Why did you need two words when the end result – the target was being poisoned – was the same? During his time in Zeltiva he had studied foreign languages, and many languages only had one word for it. Common, he decided, was a language that had a lot of superfluous words. He turned the page and started working on the chapter on antidotes.

Antidotes combat the effects of a poison. They are made from similar ingredients as the poison, albeit using a different process. It’s easiest to create antidotes for poisons you have created yourself, but one can also craft antidotes to combat poisons that have been made by another poisoncrafter. These are obviously more difficult to make as it is necessary to break down the poison in question into its different ingredients. Even if it is possible to craft an antidote for a certain poison, it may not be able to save the victim in time as he or she has already been exposed to the poison. There are also natural antidotes, in other words naturally occuring substances that can be used to combat the effects of a poison. There are usually no natural antidotes for more complicated poisons though.

Valerius turned the page again. Poisons can be harvested through a variety of means, by picking poisonous plants or carefully extracting the venom from a venomous animal for example. Harvesting poisons carries a certain risk of becoming exposed to the poisonous substance yourself. It is also important to note that, if the plant or creature is too damage, it may not be possible to harvest anything useful. Poisons usually retain their toxicity for some time, but not forever. Once applied to a weapon for example, the poison will start decaying much faster, and thus it is important to use it as soon as possible or reapply the poison.

As he moved on to the next chapter, he heard somebody knock on the door. One of the KRI workers peaked into the room, and Valerius automatically informed him, „Tell Doctor Alzelin that I will be with him soon. I’m just reading the book he told me to read.“ The man hesitated for a moment, but left once he had realized that Valerius wouldn’t change his mind. Relieved that he was gone, the Nitrozian turned back to the book. He had finally reached what was the most interesting chapter in his opinion – a survey of the different poison families.

1. Aquatic poisons are made from aquatic animals and plants.
2. Araneia are made from various kinds of spiders.
3. Arboreal poisons are made from trees. The often have a grassy or earthy smell and last longer than other types of poisons.
4. Bestial poisons are made from different kinds of animals, usually mammals.
5. Chilopoda are made from various centipees. They usually afftect one’s agility and speed.
6. Fungus: Poisons in this family are made from mold, mildew or mushrooms. They are not very potent, but highly toxic and easy to find.
7. Roots: As the name suggests these poisons are made from roots.
8. Hymenoptera: These poisons are made of bees, wasps and hornets. They are fast and usually affect one’s speed and agility.
9. Lotus poisons are made from lotus flowers. Their effects vary, and they are highly potent. They have no natural antidotes.
10. Lumbricida are made from various species of worms. They affect one’s physical strength negatively.
11. Mineral poisons are made from various minerals and rocks. They require less refinement and are relatively easy to make.
12. Moss: These poisons are crafted from mass and usually dried and made into powder. They typically have a strong odour and are relatively common and easy to craft.
13. Non-Ferrous Metal: These poisons are usually ingestion poisons that affect one’s digestive system. They cause nausea and affect one’s physical health negatively.
14. Ooze: These poisons are made from the remnants of jellies, oozes and slimes that are usually found underground. As such the raw materials are relatively easy to harvest compared to other poisons.
15. Scorpionida: These poisons are made from scorpions and affect one’s physical strength negatively.
16. Serpente: These poisons are made from snakes and affect one’s physical health negatively.
17. Undead: These poisons are crafted from the remains of undead creatures, both corporeal and incorporeal. They affect one’s physical health negatively.
18. Vine: These poisons are made from vines that can often found in close proximity to roots. Vine poisons are usually safer to handle than other kinds of poison.

Valerius put the quill away and looked at the list he had just written again. He knew that Symenestra were venomous. He had had a Symenestra slave once. The creature had been rude, disobedient and often drunk and had eventually run away. Which poison family did Symenestra venom belong to? Araneia or bestial? And how exactly could an incorporeal undead creature leave something that you could harvest behind? Were the remains of such a creature incorporeal as well or did it suddenly turn corporeal upon death?

Furrowing his brow, he moved on to the next chapter. The matter would have to be researched further.

A signature poison is tailored to eliminate a specific target and usually takes a long time to craft due to the time that is necessary to study the target. To successfully eliminate the target it is necessary to observe the target’s working environment, its home, its daily habits, find out what it eats and even inspect its garbage. A signature poison must contain a part of the target’s body, such as a lock of hair or a drop of blood.

This, Valerius decided, was a poison that he wouldn’t make. He wasn’t sure what his associate Nolan Parnell’s view was on this, but Valerius Nitrozian was not an assassin who rummaged through a garbage container and then poisoned an unsuspecting person. If he ever needed somebody dead, he’d leave the actual dead up to others. He was a scientist, a businessman.

Besides that, he couldn’t quite decide what kind of poisons he wanted to study now. Bestial poisons were of course a given considering that he worked with various animals at the Kelvic Research Institution every day, but Araneia were also interesting. Root poisons also made sense considering that they were easy to harvest in the forest near the Kelvic Research Institution. After he had given the matter some thought, he decided on Araneia and root poisons. He would, he decided, persuade Doctor Alzelin to also let him work with mushroom poisons as they seemed like such traditional poisons to him, and he had always been something of a traditionalist.

Content that he had come to a decision, he closed the book, took his notes and made his way over to the laboratory where the doctor was without a doubt already waiting impatiently. To his surprise there was a cage with what looked like a large rabbit standing on the table. The rabbit had a collar around his neck, a sign that it was a Kelvic. „Ah, Valerius, I’m so glad that you are finally here“, the doctor greeted him somewhat sarcastically. Valerius was about to tell him which poison families he wanted to study, but the doctor raised a hand, a sign that he was supposed to be qiet and directed his gaze towards a vial that contained some kind of liquid. “Do you know what this is?“ he asked. “This is Symenestra venom. I got it from a Symenestra that was unemployed and starving and so desperate that he was selling his own venom. Of course the fact that he was starving meant that his venom was quite strong. Take the rabbit out of the cage, Valerius. I want to conduct a little experiment before I start doing something about your ignorance again.“

Valerius made a face as the doctor reminded him of his ignorance, but he opened the cage and took the rabbit that struggled a little out. Once he had done so, the doctor grabbed the helpless Kelvic. “ Take the venom, pour a little onto the rabbit’s paw and watch“, the doctor ordered him. Immediately after Valerius had poured some venom onto the rabbit, it started screaming loudly and pitifully. “Its fur and its skin are beginning to dissolve“, he observed. “And now imagine what would happen if the creature had ingested the venom“, the doctor said. “Its internal organs would dissolve. That’s why the Symenestra women all die in childbirth. Their own children poison them. You should also keep in mind that each Symenestra’s venom is different. And thus it is difficult to craft an antidote.“ He put the still screaming Kelvic back into the cage and called for a KRI worker. “I think your aunt wants to work with this creature as well. We are trying to find out, if it is possible to develop a certain kind of resistance to Symenestra venom or make an antidote if you combine the venom of several Symenestra.“ He paused and looked at his assistant. “Now then, I think that there is something you want to tell me?“
Last edited by Valerius Nitrozian on November 27th, 2013, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on November 27th, 2013, 6:00 am

“I have read most of the book you gave me“, Valerius informed the doctor. “That is why it took me a while to get here. I have come to the decision that I would like to work with Araneia and root poisons. I would also like to work with mushroom poisons, if you are willing to teach me - or with vine poisons.“ The doctor looked at him questioningly – the tone of Valerius‘ voice had been extraordinarily polite – but then he nodded curtly. “We’ll see“, he informed him. “I was worried that you would ask me to work on Lotus poisons with you – those are too complicated for a beginner like you – but mushroom or vine poisons are a possibility. For now there are still a few things that I need to tell you before we begin. Are these your notes?“ He gestured to the notebook Valerius was holding. The Nitrozian nodded. “Let me see them.“ Valerius handed the notebook to him, and the doctor spent the next couple of chimes leafing through it before he handed it back to his assistant.

“Ah, yes“, he murrmurred. “You’ve covered the most important aspects of poisonmaking, but you forget a few details. You’ve forgotten to mention doses. A dose equals a single unit of poison. It can be anything from a tablet or an ounce to a nugget. The size of the dose depends on the type of poison. I’ve seen that you’ve also written down that some poisons affect one’s overall health while others affect one’s agility. These are the elements. As you’ve probably already guessed judging by your notes, poisons have different phases of damage. There are usually two: the initial and the secondary phase.“

He paused for a moment and furrowed his brow. “Poisons come in different states“, he continued. “Each poison has a natural state. It can be solid, liquid or a gas. Some poisons may also take on different states. If you drop a certain mineral into water, it may give off poisonous fumes for example. I think that’s it. Now then, let’s begin.“ Doctor Alzelin went to his cabinet, took a couple of different vials and jars out of it and placed them on the table in front of Valerius. “We’ll start with root poisons“, he informed him and showed him a vial that contained a light blue liquid. “This is Blue Whinnis. Open the vial please, Valerius, and tell me what you smell.“

Valerius hesitated for a moment – did the doctor want to poison him on purpose? – but he opened the vial and brought it to his nose. “I don’t smell anything“, he replied, slightly confused. Apparently that had been the right answer as the doctor nodded. “Blue Whinnis is an odorless poison“, he told him. “Some poisons gave off a rather strong odour and are thus easily detected. The fact that it doesn’t smell like anything, makes Blue Whinnis rather useful. Blue Whinnis is made from concentrated whinnis root and found in the forest. In fact I think you could find some if you went for a walk outside of Ravok. It is delivered through injury and causes mild weakness followed by unconsciousness for up to three bells.“

“Here’s the recipe for it“, he told Valerius and handed him a book. “It’s on page 21. I want you to try and make Blue Whinnis now. Be careful and cover your arms. Considering that the poison is delivered through injury, you don’t need to cover your mouth and nose, although that will be necessary when you are working with other poisons. You should be able to find everything that you need in this laboratory.“ Valerius nodded and put on a lab coat and a pair of gloves before he looked through the various cabinets and chests and finally spotted a container labelled „whinnis root“. He took the whinnis root out of the container, shred it and then soaked it in vinegar. Once the mixture had turned blue like the finished poison he had just seen, he strained it. After that he started a fire in the stove and boiled the mixture for a while before he took it off the heat again. Once it had cooled down sufficiently, he filled it into a couple of vials, corked them and handed them to Doctor Alzelin for inspection. The doctor looked at the vials carefully and then uncorked one of them and smelled it. „It’s adequate“, he decided. “We won’t test it on a test subject like the Symenestra venom though. The Kelvic are too valuable to try out such simple poisons on them.“
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on November 27th, 2013, 8:01 am

After Valerius had put the Blue Whinnis poison away, Doctor Alzelin brought another vial. This one contained a syrupy red liquid. “This is Bloodroot“, he told his assistant uncorked the vial and held it under Valerius‘ nose for a moment. “As you can – or rather cannot – smell it’s odorless as well. Bloodroot is made from various roots that can be found very deep in the forest. Just like Blue Whinnis it’s delivered through injury. It causes mild confusion and physical weakness for up to three bells which makes it quite useful against mages, among other things. You should find the recipe for it on the next page. A jar with roots is in the cabinet.“

Valerius carefully studied the recipe and then retrieved the roots from the cabinet and started preparing them. Halfway through he took another look at the recipe to make sure that he wouldn’t make any mistakes. Finally he filled the finished poison into a couple of vials, corked them and presented them to the doctor. Just like before Doctor Alzelin inspected them and nodded curtly. Once Valerius had put the vials into the cabinet, the doctor informed him, “The third root poison I want to show you today is called Close Call. Don’t ask me how it got the name. It isn’t lethal. It’s an odorless yellow paste made from bump roots than can be found in the forest. Just like the other two root poisons it is delivered through injury. Close Call causes loss of motor skills, balance and agility for up to one bell.“ He retrieved a jar from the cabinet and showed it to Valerius so that he could see what the finished poison was supposed to be like before he leafed to the correct page in the recipe book.

Valerius studied the recipe and retrieved some bump roots from the cabinet. Fortunately the fire in the stove was still burning, so all he had to do was put the roots into a pot and cook them. Once the roots were sufficiently cooked, he mashed the root and put it into a distiller. He was just about to put the end result into an empty jar when he felt a hand on his shoulder. Frowing slightly – he didn’t appreciate being touched without a warning – he turned around and looked in Doctor Alzelin’s eyes. The doctor held a small vial up. “You need some of this to preserve it“, he informed him. Without a word Valerius took the vial and finished the Close Call. Once he had put it away, Doctor Alzelin handed him a surgical mask. “The next poison we are going to work on is delivered through inhalation“, he informed him. “Since I don’t want you to poison yourself, you need to cover your mouth and your nose. Please follow me. The poison in question is inert at cooller temperatures so we are going to temporarily move to another laboratory that is located below this one.“
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on November 27th, 2013, 8:01 am

The two men where in the basement now where it was considerably cooller. Apart from that fact the laboratory looked nearly the same as the other one, with tables full of equipment and cabinets that contained various vials, jars and containers filled with poisons, roots, vines and so on. “You said that you wanted to work with mushroom poisons or vine poisons“, the doctor remarked. “Vine poisons make more sense seeing as we just covered a few root poisons. Vines and roots are often found in close proximity. We can go over a few mushroom poisons later on, but for now let’s focus on a vine poison.“

He took a vial out of the cabinet and showed it to Valerius. “This poison here has been aptly named ‚Lost Tongue‘. It is odorless. As I’ve told you before it is delivered through inhalation. Fortunately it isn’t transparent though, but a green mist. Lost Tongue is made from evaporated vine oil from vines that are found in the forest. It causes a thickening of the tongue and muteness that lasts for up to two bells. You should find vines in the cupboard and the correct equipment on the tables.“

He handed the recipe book to Valerius and the young man went to work. He worked especially carefully now as he didn’t want to accidentially come in contact with the poison and end up losing his voice. While he prepared the Lost Tongue, the doctor occasionally looked over his shoulder to see what he was doing. Once he had inspected the finished poison and deemed it adequate, he spoke, “The next vine poison is Greenblood oil.“ He took the next vial out of the cabinet. Valerius could see that it contained a dark green liquid. “Unlike Lost Tongue Greenblood oil isn’t delivered through inhalation, but through injury.“ He uncorked the vial, and Valerius noticed a slight pine scent as he lifted his mask for a moment. “It is made from rogue vines that can be found in the forest and causes slight physical weakness for up to two bells.“ He put the vial away again. “Start making it now“, he told his assistant.

Once Valerius had prepared the Greenblood oil, Doctor Alzelin informed him, “We’ll move on to Araneia poisons now. The first one I’d like to show you is called Corona.“ He produced a vial that contained some kind of syrup that was the color of lemons and uncorked it for a moment so that Valerius could notice a comparatively pleasant floral scent. “Corona is made from the aged arteries of of a giant spider. It is delivered through injury and causes mild strength loss that increases to moderate strength loss over the course of six bells. You should find some prepared spider arteries in the cabinet.“ Just like before Valerius studied the recipe for a while before he started making the Corona poison. Once had finished it, Doctor Alzelin introduced the next spider poison, “This is called Lilyweb“, he told Valerius and held the vial in question up. The young man could see that it contained a thick purple liquid. Again, the doctor uncorked it for a moment so that Valerius could notice that it smelled like lilies. “Lilyweb is made from the venom of medium sized spider species. It is delivered through injury and causes mild loss of physical strength for up to two bells. Make a vial of Lilyweb for me now, Valerius.“

Once Valerius had finished making the second Araneia, the doctor gestured for him to come over to him. “We’ll go back upstairs now and take a break before we work on something else“, he informed him.
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Abstract on December 18th, 2013, 10:35 pm

Grade Awarded!

Valerius

Skills

~ Writing - 2
~ Poison - 4
~ Observation - 2

Lores

~ Poisonmaking Equipment
~ Methods of Poison Delivery
~ Difference Between Poison and Venom
~ Antidotes: Made of Similar Ingredients to Poison
~ The Different Poison Families
~ Signature Poison: Made for a Specific Victim
~ Effects of Symenestra Venom
~ Dose: A 'Unit' of Poison
~ Properties of Blue Whinnis Poison
~ Properties of Bloodroot Poison
~ Properties of Close Call Poison
~ Properties of Lost Tongue Poison
~ Properties of Greenblood Poison
~ Properties of Corona Poison
~ Properties of Lilyweb Poison

Other

N/A

Notes

Another good thread, with a lot of lores. I didn't give that last point in poison, though with a reason. You stated multiple times that you 'made' the poison. More description is needed than that... what you did in the last solo was perfect. I gave most of the points simply for the learning, rather than Val actually making the poisons.

Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)