Solo [Job Thread] The Joker

12th Autumn 513

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

[Job Thread] The Joker

Postby Ruby Majalenka on November 27th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Of all the patients Ruby ever treated, he was the most quaint.

His name not a soul has ever blurted. Strange ! Neither sick nor cursed, no mental illness in the slightest either. Why then, would he lie on a bed colored gray, content with a pie a day, rather than out under the sun, despite his wrinkled face ?

The old man seemed to be Syliran, in his 110s, with a bodiful of scar that testified to his wild past. He had no relatives nor family, and his last wish was to spend the rest of his days here in the Whitevine healing center, simply to have people to talk to.

Ruby usually delayed checking at the old man to the evening, the period when staffs have too much time on their hands. The reason was as simple as it was apparent; she enjoyed the man’s company. Clearly he was a person of educated upbringing, but with a tinge of crude humor. Like today.

He lay there with eyes closed when Ruby came in. Worried, she put down his dinner on the side table and fixed her gaze at his chest for 10 seconds. Not moving. Then she proceeded to put her ear to his mouth and nose while also holding a finger in front of the nose. No breath.

Calm down. Deep breath…exhale. Initiate artificial respiration.

After removing the pillow, Ruby tilted his head upwards and held it in position with the base of her left hand to keep the airway secure, then with the thumb and index finger of the same hand plugged both nasal holes. Opening his mouth with her other finger, Ruby took a deep breath and blew in air as strong as she could.

Immediately the old man coughed into Ruby’s mouth, and she jumped back in response. For a while she just froze there, processing what just happened.

“That was my first kiss.” she replied with attempted humor.
“Well that wasn’t my first.” His voice was cheerful and hoarse, that of a warrior.

Ruby sighed and handed him his dinner, mashed potatoes and cooked blubber, after a brief examination. Sitting upright, he started the conversation in an unusually serious tone between mouthfuls.

“I heard you’re leaving Avanthal come winter ?”

Ruby nodded while scribbling on his status report.

“Where to ?”
“First, Kalea. Been there once, I miss the beautiful mountains and forests. Maybe I’ll catch a ship to Wind Reach, or simply travel by land to Sultros. Whichever route I take, it’s bound for Lhavit, I’d like to see the city’s famous shimmers !” She was shivering with excitement. “And let’s not forget Kalinor, the surreal Symenestran cavern city.”
Upon hearing the last city, the old man’s spoon stopped midair. “You have a death wish ?” She was stupefied and could just blink a few times. Only after a few ticks that the old man ate another mouthful. “Good choice. The purpose of life is never to slip into your coffin in one piece, instead you should come in swerving, yelling ‘Whoo ! What a ride !’.” The old man chuckled.
“You can laugh at this, but actually I’m also hoping to find someone… important along the way. Someone worthy enough.”
The old man did laugh. “Ah, even you want to be smitten, eh ?”
“Quit it !” she blushed. “How about you ?”
“Well, I did find someone…” His eyes became distant, seemingly reminiscent. “Once I dreamed of glory and riches… Full of blood and tears my journey was; but not my own. When at last I returned to Avanthal, weary and disgraced, it was too late. A woman I’d ran off from took me in, but shortly after she died of old age. Just remember… to stop and settle down if you think the time is right. Regret is the worst punishment possible.”
“There there, you’ll see her soon.” Ruby remarked casually.
It took a while for the old man to swallow Ruby’s joke. Then he burst out into laughter, again. “Still trying to get even ? So not even you fully appreciate my sense of humor ! You’ll have to get me right before I die, else I’ll always be the last one laughing.”
“We’ll see about that.” she grinned and got up.
“Hold on.”
“Yes ?”
“Could you get me a pinch of salt please ? The food’s a bit bland.”
Ruby thought for a moment. “…sure.”

A Winterflame dish ? Bland ? Impossible. However out of curiosity she asked for some salt from the kitchen. The old man lay where he was left with his plate on his lap, only he was now lounging, not sitting upright. Ruby sprinkled the salt over the whole dish.

“…now give it a taste.” the old man said. Ruby looked at him with an eyebrow raised. “Go on. It’s safe. No use poisoning you, would it ?” She reluctantly complied and ate a tiny bite.

He started grinning widely.

“What did you do to the food ?!” Naturally her mind started thinking of the worst possibilities. “Tell me !” She said in mock anger.
“You’ll never know…”

However as life receded from his eyes, Ruby’s eyes widened in horror. This time he actually closed his eyelids for the last time. Then he gave a last chuckle before his face froze in an eternal mask of laughter.

A chime went by as she pondered whether to call for help or not. She decided not to. The old man had gone the best way he could. Being a merciful judge, Ruby let the hands of Dira embrace him and prayed to Lhex that he would be claimed by his love again someday as with the other gods he had worshipped.
Ruby Majalenka
Player

Words: 50124
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2013, 4:46 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Job Thread] The Joker

Postby Una Tanta on December 19th, 2013, 9:04 pm

~CONGRATULATIONS~

Ruby :
Skills
Socialization +1
Medicine +1
Lores
Patient: Checking Breathing
Patient: Artificial Respiration
Comments:
The conversation was very well written, especially the man's lines. Usually writing speech is one of the most difficult things but it was really good. The only thing I would be careful of is that sometimes you slipped into writing both of their speech in the same way, whimsical. Other times their speech styles are very distinct.

Also a 110 year old man wouldn't exist on Miz, people live much shorter lives on Miz. Therefore 80 would be extremely old, 110 practically unheard of in humans.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade please feel free to send me PM.

[/center]
Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Words: 371301
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2013, 2:11 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)