Solo Of lands far away

Pjeil replys to a letter

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The fortified mountain city of the Isur. [Lore]

Of lands far away

Postby Pjeil on December 20th, 2013, 6:07 am

Winter 41st, 513 AV
A Reply to this correspondence.

Compared to his uncle's and Niall's, Pjeil's writing was clunky and scrawlish. Maxas had a way with making the isurian script flow across the page with graceful and artful form. Yet it was a matter of pride to write his own letter back to his dearest friend. He was no human who would have others write while he dictated. No, he needed to do this. Niall needed to hear from him, not someone else.

"Dear Big Brother,
You have no idea how much joy it gives me to hear from you. Uncle told me that the world is a hard place and that we might not hear from you ever again, but I didn't believe him. I knew I would get back to us. I just wish it were in person.

When I see the date you sent this, I can hardly believe it. It took less than a season for your letter to make it to us. A man on foot would be hard pressed to get it here under a year. Mother says that it must be a messenger bird that sent it, there could be no there way. I really feel bad for the poor bird, I wonder why it doesn't just fly away and be free.

Terril, mother, worries for you. She is as hard as ever on the surface, but whenever we talk about you she gets distant and quiet. She is like that when she gets worried. She won't say it because she thinks it might affect your fate and safe return, but she misses you and hopes for you find what you are looking for. I do too, but I know you can do it. I have no doubt you will make it back to us.

When I read your letter for the first time, I simply couldn't imagine a lake so big. Maxas says that the sea is like an enormous flat, plane of water that stretches to either side and out for as far as one can see. I believe that you are telling the truth, but its so hard to see it in my mind. And ships! If you didn't send this drawing I would know you were pulling my arm. It is beautiful, I just wish that I could see them in person. At some point I would like to make its likeness in wood at the Holy Forge, just to show the exotic marvels from Zeltiva.

Pjeil lifted his quill from the paper and rubbed the eagle's feather under his chin in thought. He tried to imagine the what Niall had described, he tried to imagine great ships floating over the waves of a massive lake. Niall's letter was next to the now drying sheet of vellum, the design of the ship visible. He wondered what he should tell his dear friend next. He was like the older brother that Carnos and Jerier never were. Granted, those two were a bit older than Niall and had been out of the house by the time Pjeil was born, but still. The young Isur had really enjoyed his time around the Pitrius, when those moments had been good of course.

Ah. Pitrius.

"Trouble brews here at home. Your attitude towards Vernadel is far different than how your clansmans as of right now. The king has started to open up trade relations with the Humans and the Pitrius and the Terras clans have grown angry at this. The sentinels have pulled out of the city and anyone that goes to their citadel goes missing. If time goes on, we could be looking at a civil war. It is really scary and whenever I try talk to my father about it he just looks at me intently. I hate to tell you this bad news Niall, but like my uncle always tells me, "Not telling the whole truth is just as bad as telling a lie".

All is not bad though. I am starting my apprenticeship now. I am to tend the Honored dead and the Restless dead. I know it sounds morbid, but it is a great honor and few get the chance. I get to do my part at serving Izurdin's will and help those who have unfinished business to move on into His embrace. I think I will also learn to perform funeral rites and such but I have not progressed that far yet.

Please write back as soon as you can big brother, we all miss you. You still have a home with us and when you return you will be welcome with wide arms. Come back to us safe.

Your friend, always,

Pjeil CobaltAnvil

The letter was probably the most words he had ever put to paper. Thus the more he looked at the work, the more he despised it. But destroying all those true words would be like destroying a hammer forged with a flaw. It is against the very nature of Izurdin's will. No, he intended to learn from his terrible handwriting and letterwriting, and maybe Niall would appreciate that he would get better.

Maxas ended up taking care of the particulars of sending the letter off. Pjeil figured it would be a messenger bird, and wondered if it would be the same poor creature that took the letter.

"Please, Father," he prayed to Izurdin, "Grant me the patience to endure Niall's absence. I miss him so."
Note: The avatar is what he is projected to look like when Pjeil grows up! He is not an adult, he is a child of about 11-15 in terms of body structure. Isur physically develop rapidly. He has the mentality of a 11 year old.
Pjeil
Patientia Infinitus

Words: 35180
Joined roleplay: August 11th, 2013, 1:18 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets