Magical suspension

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Magical suspension

Postby Ayara Orin - Migrated on December 19th, 2013, 10:50 am

How would one make an item levitate on its own? The only way I can think of is to give it the ability to Project, but for large items wouldn't this require Expert-level Projection at least?

Specifically thinking in the context of a man-sized upright alchemical circle.
THIS ACCOUNT IS NOW THIS ACCOUNT
Ayara Orin - Migrated
OLD ACCOUNT

Words: 12665
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2013, 7:03 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Magical suspension

Postby Rayage on December 21st, 2013, 5:22 am

That is quite the question. One which I have pondered many times myself.

Firstly, I would NOT suggest using Projection. To hold an item in place with projection you would actually need to be holding it IN PLACE within the alchemy circle. This... would destroy your astral body, as what happens to things within the Fount and Filter when the transmutation is complete? >.> Nothing good. They are stripped of their very identity.

However, you could use Air Reimancy to levitate objects! Maybe have some glyph set-up with Air Reimancy involved and see how that goes? Of course, levitation via Air Reimancy is very djed costly, so even setting up one transmutation that uses this method is going to take some work/skill in the magic itself.

Some non-magical means of setting up an upright alchemy circle could be, as the article suggests, pedestals. OR you could suspend things on STRING and it wouldnt effect your reaction since the string/rope is present in both the Fount and Filter. For very heavy objects you want to lift, you can use a pulley system XD but I think that might take some gadgeteering and understanding of physics.

OOR just get really good with Air Reimancy :P

Im sure there are other ways, but those I do not know of.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Magical suspension

Postby Quint Caravel on December 21st, 2013, 12:49 pm

I see no reason why-- given enough time, money and resources-- a Master-level Magecrafter couldn't do this.
Quint Caravel
Currently dreaming about you!

Words: 151579
Joined roleplay: November 5th, 2013, 5:46 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2