Subversion (Eldritch)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Subversion (Eldritch)

Postby Ignotus Everto on November 30th, 2013, 10:17 pm

2nd of Fall, 513AV
Midnight

Ignotus loved a panic. Not like some of the simpler, crasser creatures out there, who just liked to hear nubile young women scream. No, Ignotus loved a panic because when people were frightened, you could get them to do almost anything. Like killing one's superiors.

The meeting of the Counsel Guard was an emergency one, held in the very room Adarin attempted to take. The scene was so fresh that there hadn't even been enough time to wash the blood off the floor or repair the mechanism of the door. All the better to set the tone of crisis.

The entirety of the fifty man group had gathered here, and were waiting to hear the hastily appointed regent speak.

The wizard wasted little time waiting to enter- time was of the essence here. He was on a slightly raised stair, but aside from that was effectively at their level. Directly behind him was the scene of the arrest, red pools and discarded arrows gleaming in the torchlight. "Gentlemen," he began, his features grave, "No doubt you wonder why I have gathered you at this dire hour."

"As you may know," he said after a short pause, beginning to pace slowly between the walls, "This very morning, we suffered a great and grievous terrorist attack from a sect of Denvali extremists."

The choice of words were hardly coincidental. It took more than dry descriptions to galvanize men of this caliber. Of course, a touch of Hypnotism didn't hurt either. In this case, hurt. Frustration. A faint shadow of grief. Why didn't we see it coming? How could we let this happen?

"They infiltrated the highest rungs of government, and butchered several of our fair and illustrious leaders, before being smashed by a team of courageous Trident Champions- and myself, of course." the last bit was said as an addition. A simple acknowledgement. He just wanted all the information out there. He didn't need to boast.

"While this is tragic, and much of the nation is still in grief," the Nuit said deliberately, steepling his fingers together, "One does have to wonder... How exactly did these men get the information they needed? And, once armed with it, why did they kill so few?"

Ignotus stopped walking then, his brow furrowing faintly, "Gentlemen, I suspect these two curiosities may be related. I suspect these murderers received assistance. Further, I strongly suspect I know who may be behind this 'happy coincidence.'"
Rapt attention now. The sort of fear that a starving predator searching for prey might feel draped lightly upon them now. Were there traitors in Zeltiva? But of course there were, said their suspicious minds. How else could these people slip past our defenses?

"Even now, they feign sorrow that their colleagues, people that trusted them, have been slain, leaving them with more sway in a shaken house as the populace weeps. Possibly even sway enough to take power. They sleep now, but soon, soon they will wake, and soon Zeltiva, it's way of life, our way of life, may very well be in grave danger!"

And so, urgency! They had to act now, and quickly! If they didn't who knows what could happen?! But they were directionless at the moment. In the dark... Or were they?

"My venerable friends..." Ignotus said slowly. Entreatingly. "Do you trust me?" And as he, the hero of Zeltiva, the man who routed out the Blighter like a gardener does a weed, the man who saved the city from certain doom mere bells before spoke, they felt in their hearts that they did. After all, "Has he ever been wrong?"

A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Words: 292905
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Subversion (Eldritch)

Postby Eldritch on January 5th, 2014, 4:39 am

The men and women gathered through the entrance hall watched Ignotus as he went on, a few gasps audible here or there and some murmurs being heard from the ranks. Every member of the Council Guard was sworn to protect the Lord of Council, being that there was no Lord of Council their next directive was to defend the city. In that regard it was sounding rather like they had failed, though a few wore bloodstained weapons at their sides as evidence of earlier battle.

As Ignotus finished their reactions looked rather split. On the one hand Ignotus was rather a hero to the city, but on the other hand he was still rather unknown in his interaction with the Council Guard. A throat was cleared amidst the ranks and the men parted, allowing a woman to step forth and stare down Ignotus.

She was of middle age at the most and possessed short cropped blonde hair, blue eyes piercing and even. Her face was flecked with blood and a rather distinctive scar ran down from the bridge of her nose across the right side of her face. Her hand was set on the pommel of her sword, a rather plain looking thing much like her half plate armor. The other Guards seemed to differ to her.

"Master Ignotus, you are rather well known throughout the city. Mara herself had many kind things to say of you, however I would ask what proof you have of such conspiracy. Surely if we lose our reason here and now, if we just start condemning people based on assumptions and conjecture that we lose that which makes Zeltiva what it is." She said.

There were a few murmurs of agreement from the crowd, and some who had looked swayed that were now looking a bit unsure. The woman didn't stop but rather continued.

"Our very way of life would seem to be more at risk if we started up a witch-hunt without solid proof. The Denvali we know as opponents, some of us have crossed blades with them. Should we the turn in ward and start to eat ourselves from within?" She said, raising an eyebrow at the Nuit in inquiry.

Whoever this woman was, it was clear that the other Guards respected her and indeed many were now looking to Ignotus for some response. It was clear that fear mongering was going to be enough, even for those that had seen battle in the past bells.
Eldritch
Do you feel your sanity begin to fray?

Words: 237808
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Subversion (Eldritch)

Postby Ignotus Everto on January 9th, 2014, 7:13 am

"An admirable position, Madame." Ignotus said with an approving smile. The woman herself felt a faint tinge of pleasure at the compliment. "It would be unwise to simply jump at shadows. No, you, and indeed I, need proof."
And with that, he turned his gaze back and said, "Bring him in!"

Two bells earlier...

In and out and in again. Adarin's proximity to the seat he wanted so very much seemed as variable as the weather. This time, it appeared Ignotus must have been mocking him. Here he was, ball-and-chained, his wrists in shackles, with the Nuit lounging in the seat that not too long ago was nearly his, staring at him with that inscrutable smile he always seemed to wear. The wizard seemed so confident that he hadn't even kept any guards in the room. "Oh, Adarin..." he sighed. "What a pitiful position you've found yourself in. Power stripped, Quarter captured, and awaiting an almost certain death. Such a shame, for one as talented and high-minded as yourself."

Ignotus absently plucked a pen from the desk and twirled it 'tween his fingers, examining it instead of the man in front of him as he spoke. "I have ambitions too, you know. Big ones. Your dream of a new Denval is admirable, but..." his eyes turned to Adarin, and his expression turned deadly serious as he slammed the pen down with a sharp rap. "You're thinking too small."

'You want a new Denval. I want a new empire. Zeltiva is only the beginning of a great and illustrious expansion the likes of which the world has not seen in over eight thousand years!"

The Nuit surged to his feet, a grin stretched across his face. "But who's to say this new nation, true and proper nation, need only benefit one of us? You want a new home for your people. A place to call your very own, to live the way you've always lived. I want an army. One victory can assure the other. Once Zeltiva is mine, I will see to it to that Denval will rise again" The Hypnotist darted around the room, illustrating with his hands a future so bright, Adarin could practically see it. "A Denval you are at the helm of, a Denval that will be a shining gem, grander and greater than anything a maritime city locked by mountains could hold! Sprawling, beautiful, wealthy, and yours!"

Slowly, Ignotus began to wind down, his old smile returning as he sank back into his chair.

"All this, for one small favor. Something that you wanted to do anyways. Something that will help your people. Something that will save your life. See it become mythical. That..." his expression turned dour, "Or an anonymous execution in a darkened basement."

It was not a difficult decision. Adarin could feel the will to live welling up inside him, dreams of a rebuilt and respected Denval dancing before his eyes.

Presently he found himself in front of the Counsel Guard, the key to his ambitions becoming reality standing in front of him, needing only three names named. Names of people he despised and tried to kill himself mere bells before. "Tell them what you told me." Ignotus requested.

A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Words: 292905
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Subversion (Eldritch)

Postby Eldritch on January 15th, 2014, 8:32 pm

The woman inclined her head in assent to Ignotus' compliment, pleased that she had at the very least prevented a possible incident and the passions of the Guard from getting to them. She raised a single eyebrow at his order, turning her head to gaze with widened eyes upon one she hadn't expected to see. A chorus of gasps echoed throughout the hall and as the shock wore away from the woman's face, stony silence and expressionlessness ruled her.

The former leader of the Denvali looked a defeated man, his right hand having been driven mad and control over his people having been snatched away by a man he had thought incapable of such an action. Now he had only a thin strand of hope to cling to, that he might gain something out of this after all. He was forced to his knees before Ignotus and the woman, head bowed and expression somewhat hollow.

Ignotus might indeed notice that a number of the Guard had their hands on their weapons, though their apparent leader simply crossed her arms and regarded the man who was their enemy silently. Adarin was a subject of much hostility consider the bloodbath he had unleashed upon the city. There was certainly no love lost between he and the Council Guard, who were sworn to protect the office of the Lord of Council.

"I was not acting alone in my actions. Regent Marthes Jervis, Dockmaster Fethris Idrian, and Lieutenant Borius Tecles. These men assisted me in carrying out my goals." He stated simply.

A few audible gasps were heard from the Guard and their leader's expression turned slightly ashen. Three rather high ranking members of the Sailor's Guild, University, and even the Wave Guard were the owners of those names. That meant that this conspiracy went high indeed, it was enough that the Council Guard would feel a bit uneasy.

"Petch. What were you trying to accomplish here Adarin? Were you trying to turn the city on its head? Throw it all into the fire?" The woman demanded tersely.

The former leader of the Denvali fixed his one good eye upon the woman, narrowing it slightly and spitting off to the side. He was defeated but still had some defiance left in him obviously, even betrayal couldn't steal that from him.

"What I did, I did for Denval. I don't expect you to understand the lengths I needed to go to." He stated, earning a glare from the woman.

Sullenly she turned her gaze upon the undead, conflicting emotions playing out behind her eyes. A heavy sigh escaped her lips, disgusted and even slightly exasperated. The battle was hardly over yet it would seem, though the woman looked more contemplative than anything else.

"It would seem that there are some arrests to make in this event. Normally this would be left up to the Wave Guard, but it seems like they are too compromised. I'll send out my men to handle the arrests of these three, they will be kept out of the way until such time the city calms down and an investigation into this whole affair can be held proper." The woman said, more to herself than Ignotus.

"Thank you once again Master Everto, it would seem that once again Zeltiva is in your debt." The woman said, inclining her head to the Nuit.
Eldritch
Do you feel your sanity begin to fray?

Words: 237808
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook