Completed Day at the Beach

Elsa explores the deeper mysteries of the Void

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Day at the Beach

Postby Elsa Marin on January 4th, 2014, 10:37 pm

Winter 9th, 513AV

Voiding was a dangerous discipline. The study of the Void did not lend itself to a cramped lab where mismanaged pull or a momentary distraction could cost you an arm, or a research partner. Elsa had made the trek from the Citadel down to Port Silence, planning to spend a day at the beach. Worst case scenario she'd Void some errant golem. Well, worst case scenario she'd Void herself, but that was the given failure scenario for every Voider of any level.

Choosing a spot fairly high on the shoreline, Elsa removed and carefully folded her cloak, putting it under her pack to keep the wind from snatching it away. She had packed warm clothing in preparation for the coming winter, but Sahova was quite pleasant, at least this early. Pleasant enough that she could wear her dancer's silks a while longer, stretching as the wind pricked at her bared hips and midriff. Magic was taxing work, and she'd be thankful for the breeze soon enough - it was positively muggy compared to the Bonesnapper.

So close to the sea, Elsa could close her eyes and imagine she was back in Zeltiva. This was her ideal laboratory; wide open spaces and lapping waves.

Sometimes she swore she could feel the closeness of the Void. The wind calmed, birds avoided flying overhead, and the world teetered on the edge of darkness. She danced. Focused on nothing but her breathing and the muscles of her body and the sound of her bells, Elsa contemplated the Void. She moved and swayed and spun, but her center never moved more than an inch. Elsa could dance through a crowded room with a cup of water on her head and not spill a drop until some cur put his hands where only his eyes could touch and received a cup to the face.

It was that sense of balance that was central to Voiding. A Void mage lived on the edge of the world, so close to the Void she could hear it screaming. It kept her up at night, sometimes. To understand the Void was to grow closer to Nothing. The closer one grew to Nothing, the easier it was to bridge the gap from one to the other.

Mizahar and the Void were linked in ways Elsa was only beginning to understand. Without one, the other could not be. Without something, there could be no nothing. Without nothing, there could be no something. As soon as there was something, there was nothing. As soon as there was nothing, there was something. Thus Something and Nothing produce each other.

To call the Void was a deed that consisted in taking no action and to practice the teaching that used no words.
Last edited by Elsa Marin on January 22nd, 2014, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
now while he stands tough
notice that this man did not have his hands up
Elsa Marin
Player

Words: 36964
Joined roleplay: December 31st, 2013, 12:20 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Day at the Beach

Postby Elsa Marin on January 5th, 2014, 1:45 pm

The first portal opened easily enough. Elsa had opened hundreds of Void portals since her initiation. She'd even found work as a Voider, learning some of the more practical tricks and secrets from the few experienced Voiders she'd met while working. Feet planted firmly on the ground, slightly apart. A grounded, balanced stance was key, especially when working with any kind of Pull.

In another concession to safety, Elsa raised her hands in front of her to aid with the opening. She made every effort to move beyond somatic casting, but there was no one around to see. She hooked her thumbs together and extended the first finger on each hand, focusing on the point just beyond her fingertips. It was another little trick that made a world of difference over a long day of casting. She would only have to push her Djed an inch away from her body, and her fingers would help define a smaller point of focus. The smaller the seed portal, the easier it opened. She practiced with grains of sand sometimes.

When the seed was planted, Elsa stepped back before allowing it to grow. The inky black dot hung in the air, barely noticeable, until Elsa picked at the edges, widening the hole in whatever separated this side from the other. She made the portal as large as she was comfortable with. It could have been larger, but Elsa was not the one being tested.

She made a full circuit of the portal. From the edge, it was barely visible. She was pleased to see that her hypothesis was correct in that, at least. With no professor looking over her shoulder or clueless civilians coming inches from Voiding themselves peering into the heart of nothingness, wondering at how their garbage had just vanished, Elsa was free to make her own observations and draw her own conclusions. She was free of prying eyes watching for the smallest slip, ready to grab her by the collar and pull her away screaming as she watched the balance she had so carefully constructed unwind.

She should probably be writing this down, she realized. Elsa stepped out of the circle just long enough to retrieve her notebook and an ink stick. Suddenly she regretted not having settled on a cypher for her notes, considering where she'd ended up. Ah well.

Winter 9th, 513AV
Sahova Beach, just west of Port Silence

My feet hurt. Scientific observation the first: Take a breather after long hikes before you start doing magic. Your feet will thank you for it. I might take an early lunch.

Observations about Void portals. From the side, the portal is almost invisible. The edge is hazy and indistinct. Edges again. Bridges, edges, This Side, Other Side. I think of it as poking a hole in cloth. I'm probably wrong. One more thing to work on, I guess.

Next, an experiment. She would need the tool of her craft for this. The one thing no mage could be caught dead without. For her next trick, Elsa would perform the most basic scientific experiment of all. She poked it with a stick. Elsa took the time to walk around the portal again, keeping the stick extended at arm´s length in the portal, until she came to its edge. She pushed at it, and felt the portal begin to waver even as the stick began to bend. She had never realized structural integrity was a concern in Voiding. Likely it had something to do with the overall stability of the portal.

When she extracted the stick to write down her second set of observations, she noticed that the Voided half of the stick was smoking. It was cold. Unbelievably cold. Interesting. She'd never considered what it might be like inside the portal. She returned to her notes.
Last edited by Elsa Marin on January 22nd, 2014, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elsa Marin
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Day at the Beach

Postby Elsa Marin on January 5th, 2014, 4:03 pm

Lunch was rations. Breakfast had been rations. Last night's dinner had been rations. Rations rations rations. Dry fish and hard bread and ship's biscuits. She missed fresh food already. She missed fresh water even more. Four days into her stay on Sahova and she was reeking of Quarters and dead people. She wrote as she ate.

I have a lot to learn before I can go to that Judgement thing. I doubt the Masters' Guild would be impressed by some dockside Voider harlot making a hole in the air. There is so much more freedom here than in Zeltiva. I can spend hours in the Gug Adjak just watching the apprentices at work. There's magic here I never even imagined. None of them have seen fit to stoop to my level and actually talk to me yet, though. Or even look at me.

If there's one thing I miss the most about Zeltiva, it's being looked at with anything other than disdain.

From what I can tell, the Void is cold. It's colder than I can even imagine. This could come in handy.

Some questions for next time
-Where does Mizahar end and the Void begin?
-How far into the portal can an object go before it becomes impossible to retrieve?
-Is the ocean here safe to swim in? I need a bath.
-When part of an object is in the Void and part of it is in Mizahar, is it one object, or two?

With a head full of questions and no answers forthcoming, Elsa packed up, brushed the sand out of her cloak, and made the hike back to the Citadel.
Last edited by Elsa Marin on January 22nd, 2014, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elsa Marin
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Day at the Beach

Postby Strange on January 23rd, 2014, 12:18 am

e
Elsa Marin

Skills

Skill Name Experience
Observation 1 XP

Lores

Voiding: Unwise at Close Quarters
Voiding: Something and Nothing are Reciprocating Producers
Voiding: A Balanced, Grounded Stance is Key
Voiding: The Void is Cold

Comments :
This is much better but you still didn't expand on the act of Voiding itself. At Competent level it is a bit harder to earn XP. You have to show me what you're doing rather than just tell me. However some of your observations were spot on so I could award you a few lores and a point in Observation.

It's fine for you to use the rations from your ship for the time being but after the 11th this will no longer fly. After all ship's, and their rations, do not stay long on Sahova one way or another.

I have awarded your grade to the best of my ability. Of course I'm not infallible so if you have any comments or queries about your grade feel free to PM me.

e
"I'm such a Silverheart fangirl"
Strange
AS of Sahova

Words: 71649
Joined roleplay: January 17th, 2014, 7:07 pm
Race: Staff account
Scrapbook