Kelvics: Eyesight and Menstruation!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Kelvics: Eyesight and Menstruation!

Postby Kalina on January 27th, 2014, 2:47 am

[renamed]

Firstly, do the females bleed? I've never owned a bitch, but my friend said they had to let her bleed once before they took her to the vet to... do whatever they do to females. I don't know about other animals so I was thinking that it depended on what species they were in animal form, but then, they have to reproduce in human form (at least, they have to have intercourse in human form, I don't know about birthing) so their reproductive system must be similar to humans at all times, so then they would bleed?

Second, would they be colourblind in human form if their animal forms were colourblind? Seeing as some/most retain their eye make up - for example, in human form, Kalina's eyes still appear to be moss green and have slits for pupils - then it would make sense that the eye would retain the same structure in human form, making them have the same sight? I'd imagine that, because she retains marginally better vision at night time than the average human, her visualisation of colour wouldn't change.

To be honest, information of ocelots isn't readily available so I actually don't have a definitive answer on whether or not ocelots have a limited spectrum in sight, or if they bleed like canines... but it's probably the same as leopards, as they're from the same feline family.

Question is, do all Kelvics see colour/bleed the same way at "that time of the month" as humans, or does it depend on what species of animal they can morph into? In that they share the same visionary/cycle patterns (if any) as their animal counterparts...

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I looked through some threads and didn't see it.. the colour thing came up in a thread I was recently doing and... well Kalina's soon to be reaching maturity, so I wondered if she would even experience her first period, like a human would xD

Last edited by Kalina on January 27th, 2014, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kalina
Come and play.

Words: 177677
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 12:38 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Quick Question

Postby Gossamer on January 27th, 2014, 4:16 am

These are good questions.

Kelvics in their human form have human anatomy. Hence, they have menstrual cycles. Kelvics in their animal form have animal anatomy, so they have heat cycles as well. In female canines, the dogs can sometimes have nasty discharge like human females during their heat cycles. So your answer there is yes, but its not a true menstruation like in humans.

BTW you should never wait for a heat cycle to get an animal in real life spayed. Always take them in at the youngest age the vet will recommend. Why? You want their organs small, unswollen, and easy to be removed.

Cat's do not have discharges or menstruation cycles. They just spray a lot, rub things, and get very lovey.

Now.. in terms of eyes. The reasons cats and dogs and humans see differently is because there's conical receptors in their eyes (rods and cones) that detect specific spectrum's of color. When you are in your human form as a kelvic, you have your human receptors. When your in your doggie form or kitty form, you have your doggie or kitty receptors. Dog's don't actually see in black and white.

Dogs have two receptors... green and blue.

Humans have three... green blue and red. (and all the colors those combined make - our rainbow)

Birds have a ton of them... plus they can see ultraviolet because they have those receptors... so they see things like this sunflower below utterly different than we see it... I used this for a recent morphing thread for my PC... check it out. Utraviolet is cool!

Mantis Shrimp have... sixteen! (see the article below)

For your reading pleasure: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Quick Question

Postby Ruvyn on January 27th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Smart. I was wondering about the colours as well. But if a Kelvic in human form is colourblind, it'll be in doggy form too, right?
x
Normal text | Thoughts |"Speech" | "NPC speech"
Sahki | Mamusha | Eniyu
Calendar | Plot Goals | Relationships | Character Sheet | NoteSorry, but my posting speed has been limited to about half as quick as before due to school. Please bear with me if it takes a week or so. Replies are posted quicker than new posts. Thanks

"A keeper holds the lastly light,
Who heed and guard with centuries sight.
With vigil mind and steady heart,
That fend the world of eater start.
And long till youth of fading dust,
In life that scorch with crumble crust.
Towns that reap, humans be ash,
Before the age of time to stash."

x
Ruvyn
Dirt smudge

Words: 16208
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2013, 7:36 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Journal

Quick Question

Postby Gossamer on January 27th, 2014, 6:01 pm

I can't answer that if I don't know what caused the colorblindness initially. If its genetic and the person is missing say their cohort of red cone sensors... then it wouldn't effect the dog. They don't have them anyhow. If they are missing the green or blue, then maybe? Did they get the colorblindness from injury? It can be caused by things like acular degeneration, diabetes, agin etc... it just depends. So the answer technically would be...

"The answer varies on a case by case situation."
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Quick Question

Postby Ruvyn on January 27th, 2014, 6:28 pm

So..
PC A has genetic colourblindness and misses red cone sensors.
PC A will be able to see normally in doggy form.

PC B has genetic colourblindness and misses either green or blue cone sensors.
PC B will have colourblindness in both forms.

PC C has damaged all cones in an accident.
PC C will be partly colourblind, depending on how heavy the damage is.

PC D has a combination of C and A.
PC D will have the same things as PC C.

PC E has a combination of C and A.
PC E will have the same things as PC D and E.

Am I right about this? One last question, if the red cones would be damaged, it wouldn't mind in dog form, but that means in human form they won't be able to see.. Red things? Same for blue cones and green cones?
x
Normal text | Thoughts |"Speech" | "NPC speech"
Sahki | Mamusha | Eniyu
Calendar | Plot Goals | Relationships | Character Sheet | NoteSorry, but my posting speed has been limited to about half as quick as before due to school. Please bear with me if it takes a week or so. Replies are posted quicker than new posts. Thanks

"A keeper holds the lastly light,
Who heed and guard with centuries sight.
With vigil mind and steady heart,
That fend the world of eater start.
And long till youth of fading dust,
In life that scorch with crumble crust.
Towns that reap, humans be ash,
Before the age of time to stash."

x
Ruvyn
Dirt smudge

Words: 16208
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2013, 7:36 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Journal

Quick Question

Postby Gossamer on January 27th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Yep you got it. The only similar things would be damage across the board and genetic stuff.

If you don't have a way to see red, you can't see it. You also can't see things that come from red:

So magenta white and yellow would give you issues.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes