Closed An Unexpected Guest (Mercy)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

An Unexpected Guest (Mercy)

Postby Zamira on January 28th, 2014, 6:33 pm

She quickly puffed up at the unexpected verbal lashings, an indignant frown on her lips as she waited for him to stop speaking. Her posture relaxed as he finished speaking, her head cocked to the side in curiosity as she rolled his words over in her mind. There really was no reason for her to be taking this so personally, was there. If anything she was the rude one. With that thought a blush swept over her checks, her eyes quickly dropping to the fire as she thought over her next words carefully.

"My father says that I can act like a cat caught out in storm, convinced that the rain was being spiteful instead of falling where Makutsi wished it" She rested her chin on her knees and gave the bag of meat another look "Would you mind if I had a piece of jerky? The hard tack would go well with it if you would like some." She tossed another log on the fire as she thought over his words some more. Another blush stole across her cheeks as she thought over her actions once more. She was acting like a petulant child. Mercy was right, she had assumed that he was treating her to his silence out of annoyance at her uninvited presence. It wasn't like she had been the one squealing loud enough to wake the dead.

Shaking her head in exasperation at her actions, she shoved her hair away from her face and looked over at the armored man again. Her father would laugh at her for days if he knew how many times she had stuck her foot in her mouth this morning. "So... You like to dance? Or just like dancers?" It was a question asked of partial curiosity and a topic of conversation she felt she could at least not make a fool of herself with
Zamira
May my heart beat in tune with Rhaus's song

Words: 10713
Joined roleplay: January 17th, 2014, 8:36 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Bartholomew Mercy on January 29th, 2014, 6:06 am

Every now and then his eyes would flick over towards her. The way she frowned and blushed was another cute feature, it reminded him of a child who realized she had just lost an argument. His lips twitched and curled into a small smile. IT revealed yellow teeth; though they seemed in line and untouched by rot or cavity, simple tooth pastes could not fight against the staining of smoke.

Then she asked for a piece of meat. The smile faded at her ignorance. "Do you think I handed to you so that you could just look at it?" Not only had he given it to her, but he had opened it for her and given it back. "Eat your fill, I can always trade for more."As a hunter, he made a habit of trading raw meat for equal value of cooked meat then make profits on the fur. IF there was one thing he had in abundance, it was meat.

He made no comment on taking anything for himself, he just took another draw from that pipe of his and stared off into the fire. After a moment of that silence, she had asked another question, one about his dancers comment. Mercy had the sudden thought questioning her innocence... [b]"If a dancer had been in need of my help, I would have attempted to have them misplace their clothing."[b] With his words, his eyes flick back to her.

They seemed to almost shine and shimmer in the reflection of the fire. Djed pooled and flowed into those green orbs so that his gaze upon her transmitted a subconscious message. "He is only joking" The glint in his eye could be seen as a lively sheen. To one without knowledge of Hypnotism, she may succumb to following that thought, to believe the subliminal suggestion that he was indeed trying at humor. He was not, but it was all about perception. Then again, she may see through such a novice attempt to direct her mind. It was all about perception.
Bartholomew Mercy
Merciful, not weak...

Words: 29667
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 3:52 am
Character sheet

Postby Zamira on January 29th, 2014, 12:59 pm

He smiles... She returned his yellowed smile, her grin growing as she noticed how at odds his expression was with his frightening armor.Her smile disappeared at his rebuke, though. Once more she puffed up like an angry cat. "I have no idea what you wanted me to do. For all I know you were expecting me to heat up your breakfast. It's not like you gave me a lot of clues to go on"

She huffed and reached for a piece of smoked meat, her hand freezing halfway to her mouth at his next set of words. I... Don't know if he's joking or not. Her mouth opened and closed before she decided to take a bite of the smoked meat, chewing thoughtfully as she thought about some of the dancers she had met before. "Knowing some dancers, you probably wouldn't have to do much attempting. Though I would have paid a gold Mizah to see one try to climb the rope." She didn't think dancers were weak things, but muscles for dancing and muscles for climbing weren't the same thing

Another bite, another moment of thinking his words over. He's only joking She froze as those words whispered softly to her, a smile curling over her lips. The thought was inviting, the subtle persuasion to laugh tickling her throat and stomach like nervous butterflies. A quick glance up at Mercy had her smile fading and her eyes narrowing in suspicion. Was joking? For some reason, she didn't think he was joking. After all, just a few moments ago he had told her that things would be different if she was a dancer. He definitely wasn't joking then.

After a couple heart beats, she let out an unlady like snort that turned into a laugh filled with nerves and mirth. It wasn't the thought of him joking about having a dancer strip. That was something every man she had ever met thought about. No... It was the thought of Mercy in a dancer's flowing skirt and tight top, pirouetting away from a confused, and naked, dancer. Another look at Mercy, dressed in his intimidating armor, had her eyes glowing as she let out another laugh. No, Mercy was not the kind of man to steal a dancers' clothes for that purpose, but the thought of that had her relaxed enough to reach for another piece of meat.
Zamira

Character sheet

Postby Bartholomew Mercy on January 29th, 2014, 2:58 pm

He made no comment on her retaliation. Would someone really have a stranger heat up their food for them? That was a strange thought Mercy mulled over. The idea of such laziness was beyond him though, so the thought was dropped soon enough. In response, his lips closed around the stem of his pipe again. Though he did not take another puff, it should be clear by now the indication.

Then she was commenting on dancers climbing the rope. His cold yet somehow lively green orbs focused on her with such intensity they could have bore holes through her skull. It was not the snide comment, but that touch of ignorance in it. Most aerial dancers could climb better than he could, and they were definitely lumped in with his statement.

She froze then, her smile fading... It was obviously in response to his Hypnosis. Perhaps the message and his physical expression made it too difficult to believe. Or perhaps not? The way she started laughing baffled Mercy. For a moment he knew not whether to smile in response or reach across the distance and cover her mouth for a moment of silence. The sound was not an unpleasant one, but it was just too early in the morning.

"Stop laughing," he finally stated. That cold, harsh voice added force to the demand and the way his gaze leered over her only sought to intensify his words. "Or I may just add musicians to that list along side dancers." Building on that, the leer lowered over her frame for a moment before snapping back to eye level. "That is, if something else doesn't hear you first."
Bartholomew Mercy
Merciful, not weak...

Character sheet

Postby Zamira on January 29th, 2014, 7:10 pm

She stopped laughing.

Bright eyes widened at his leering gaze, her body tensing like a rabbit caught in a wolf's gaze. As Mercy's eyes traveled down her body, she slowly reached towards her pack closer. Shifting to a crouching position, she twined the ribbons of her dagger around her fingers and tucked the blade into her sleeve. What was it with this man? First he casually invites her to breakfast then gives her the silent treatment, then offers you food. Was he unbalanced? Bad at social skills? Maybe it was time for her to move on...

"What's going to hear me out here?" There was no way to hide the unease in her voice or the way her body was primed to run. Please don't say nothing, please don't say nothing... Gods above, Mira. What did you think was going to happen if you sat down to breakfast with a man who sleeps in a tree and wears armor in the shape of a beast?

"You know... I think it's time for me to move on. Thank you, Mr. Mercy, for the food." Forcing herself to be calm, she gently tucked the music case back into her pack and gave the bundle of hard tack a wary look. Did she want to get that close to him? No, but she also didn't want to leave behind any of her food. Shuffling just close enough to grab the cloth bundle, she flashed Mercy a nervous look before forcing herself to reach her hand out calmly and grab the pack of hard tack.
Zamira

Character sheet

Postby Bartholomew Mercy on January 29th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Her question earned a rather blank look. He almost asked if SHE was the one unbalanced. "If you have not noticed, we are in earshot of the Pass, but still out of the way. If I must name what can hear you, I shall start with a thug just brave enough to walk the little distance to my camp." He then lifted his free hand to point behind him. "Not to mention that bore was not exactly the top of the food chain around here."

Almost before he finished she was getting ready to depart. Mercy watched this woman pack up her things. She seemed calm, but her body language seemed a bit more rigid, as it had since he had put on his armor. Then she glanced to that bundle with hesitation. She fears me, he thought with amusement. It was rare he could scare someone quite so easily...

"Sit down," he demanded of her again. That gnarled voice came with a sensation, that taxing flow of Djed. Obey me, he suggested. This was more basic before, like a suggested urge instead of her own voice. If he had been right, and she harbored fear of being hunted by this animal Mercy impersonated. The whole situation had become much more amusing now, keeping this woman on the fringes between unease and fear.
Bartholomew Mercy
Merciful, not weak...

Character sheet

Postby Zamira on January 29th, 2014, 10:04 pm

She paused as he listed just a few of the things that were in ear shot of them, her shoulders slumping in defeat as she thought of all the things that could go wrong if she stayed near Mercy and all of the things that could go wrong if she left the camp. Grabbing the parcel, she tied the four corners of the cloth together and made her way back over to her backpack.

Blue eyes lifted to stare into green. Fear and disbelief braided together as she watched him, her expression slowly shifting towards anger as she shoved the hard tack into her back pack. He was enjoying her fear! Had he been purposely goading her? Putting on that armor, staring at her in silence, even leering at her had been sneaky tools to keep her off balanced. And she had played right into her hand like a stupid rabbit. Running madly about trying to escape one trap only to land in the jaws of a wolf.

"Sit down"

She straightened to her full height and turned to glare at him, knees locking to keep herself from following his instructions. The urge to listen struck her like an off-key cord, the sensation setting her teeth on edge as she focused on the queerness of his eyes. Was he trying to manipulate her through some form of magic? Had he been doing it this whole time or was that just paranoia spinning tales? It didn't matter at the moment, right now her anger was making her brave.

"You know what? You're just a big bully. You dress up in like a creature from nightmares, then you act jump from silent to nasty like a damn frog jumps from lilly pad to lilly pad!" she crossed her arms over her chest, wincing as the blade in her shirt sleeve nicked her forearm. "It's obvious that I pose no threat to you, and yet here you are dressed for battle! Are you afraid that one gawky musician is going to hurt you? Or are you trying to prove that you're something to be feared?" She threw her hands up in the air and kicked a nearby pebble, smirking with misplaced pride as she watched it ricochet off of Mercy's tree. I hope it hits him in the head!

Hands braced on her hips, she shook her hair away from her face and glared down at him. "Seriously, do you get off on scaring people? No wonder you live in a tree! You probably just wait for someone to walk by and jump out at them like some... Shadow creature! Did you ever think that conversations would be more enjoyable if you didn't act like some angry bear?" A little voice in the back of Zamira's head began babbling as her voice grew louder, begging her to just shut up and get the hell out of there before she pushed Mercy into following through on some of his actions.

Zamira

Character sheet

Postby Bartholomew Mercy on January 29th, 2014, 11:01 pm

Her sudden bold streak had surprised him, and such was shown with an arch of his brows in unison. Lifting his chin as if to regard her in a new respective, he inhaled her words and absorbed her defiance. He had enjoyed the fright he caused without intending, but now he found interest in her challenge. The frail woman challenging the wild man, what an interesting story that would make.

"You aren't as weak willed as I thought," he commented idly. Though the use of his djed had left him drained, he put on an act of perfect health. It was not hard to do, considering he just sat there and toked on his pipe to look 'Healthy." Mercy exhaled the smoke in a sigh. "I do enjoy frightening the simpletons who fall for such a trick." Though his voice was still rough, his demeanor was more... passive. It felt human at least.

His free hand rose with a single finger extended. "So yes, I enjoy frightening others." A second finger rose. "I actually live in the tree because it is slightly safer than the ground." A third rose. "An angry bear would have just eaten you. In retrospect I remind you, I am the one who fed you."

He allowed that to sink in for a moment, before he finally added the finishing touch to his statement. "Bandits and seductresses are not uncommon to find around here wearing the guises of innocence and beauty. A bandit would have fled or attacked already and a seductress would have fled or sat as I demanded in order to gain my trust." By that deduction she was neither.

Mercy then sat his pipe on his knee again and with both hands he removes his helm. The leather object is dropped to his side casually. "Sit and be welcome." His expression seemed to soften even more, he almost smiled it seemed. It was right on the corners of his lips. "I won't invade your mind anymore, Zamira, you have my word."
Bartholomew Mercy
Merciful, not weak...

Character sheet

Postby Zamira on January 30th, 2014, 11:20 pm

She blinked a couple of times at his calm response, her frustration fizzling away to giddy relief when she realized he wasn't going to kill her. As he explained his reasonings for all of his actions, she slowly dropped into a crouch and watched him with wary interest. Each statement was answered with a nod, a smile accompanied the nod when he pointed out the difference between himself an an angry bear.

As he explained to her about the bandits and seductresses, she let out a little snort. The idea that he thought her potential of either category was laughable! Though he did have a good way to deduce that, but he was going to be the last person to hear it.

When Mercy lifted his hands, she took a small shuffle back and shifted to be able to spring away at a moments notice. Blue eyes followed the leather help as it fell to his side, her head tilted once again in curiosity as she dropped gracelessly onto the ground at his request to sit.

He was actually a rather nice man, when he wasn't acting like an ass. Her own expression softened, lips curling into a soft smile as she made herself comfortable. As he promised not to intrude on her thoughts, she gave him surly look before letting it drop. Tossing more wood onto the fire, Zamira raked her fingers through her hair and began braiding the thick mass. Practiced movements had the locks bound, though it took a moment of searching through an exterior pocket of her backpack to pull out a length of twine to wrap around the end.

With that done, she turned her attention back to Mercy, one leg bending to provide a bent knee as a resting spot for her chin. "How long have you lived out here? From the looks of it I doubt you've only stayed in this tree for a night or two" It was a slightly strange question, especially since it came out of no where, but she wanted to keep any silence at bay for the next few minutes. Besides, she was curious about Mercy, especially since the persona he presented to the world didn't seem to match his true character
Zamira

Character sheet

Postby Bartholomew Mercy on January 31st, 2014, 12:04 pm

ImageThe way she reacted to his reveal was comforting and honestly a relief. He has known a few to become angry, sometimes furious. Other times they would not believe him and still run. Either way he knew his method of sniffing out possible threats had its flaws. Though it may sort out some of the darker folk, it also removed a few of the more "delicate" ones emotionally...

As she sat and braided her hair, he watched casually. His gaze was no longer a leer, though it still lacked a full interest. Her questions were regarded with neither the harshness or silence they had been previously; instead, he seemed much more open to discussion. "Three years now. Technically five, but the first two were experimental, training I suppose."[b] He was still lacking in finesse and specifics, and that harsh voice still sound as if he were being cruel. Still, it was much easier to listen to than before.

[b]"As for my tree, it's been three days since I've moved camp. I usually stay five before moving. With the cold though, I sometimes stay the night in an inn and sleep when the sun is out."
It was the middle of winter, after all. He was strange, not stupid. "What about you? You have an air of intelligence and beauty, yet you wander around the forest alone. Beautiful women are prime targets and intelligent women know this... So why?" She had asked questions and Mercy had answered. It seems with the friendship he extended came a more open dialogue between the pair.
Bartholomew Mercy
Merciful, not weak...

Character sheet

PreviousNext