Closed Two threads intertwine, weaving a tale together (Amael)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Two threads intertwine, weaving a tale together (Amael)

Postby Nadia Belanare on January 30th, 2014, 5:31 am

63rd of Winter
Seaside Market

Winter had fallen on the city like a sack of rocks. It felt sudden even though it had been felt many days in advance. Somehow Nadia never quite got used to the cold, despite the fact that it came each and every year. She was dressed in her warmest clothes, no skin showing this day for a change. Layers were worn instead, and on top of it all was an overly large coat that belonged to her dear friend and Roomate Rowen. Maybe Winter wasn't so bad after all. Nadia loved that it gave her an excuse to wear the cumbersome bit of clothing. It was ugly and heavy yes, but it was also warm and Nadia could even catch a hint of Rowen that had sunk into the fabric itself. It was comforting in a way, like he was always right there with her.

Today was one of those rare off days. A day when Nadia did not have to flaunt it all for everyone to stare at... Though she often did so anyway. No, today was a day just for her. A day for her to simply forget it all and to go and BE whatever she wanted to be. But what was she when she wasn't petching?

Alone... Nadia thought to herself, but she shook her head to banish the morbid thoughts before they even began. Today was not a day to brood, but to enjoy herself. Rowen was sleeping late because of a late night, and since she had some time to kill she felt she might as well treat herself for all her hard work of late. Rowen and she had done well for themselves this season. Why not splurge a bit and get something for him, and while she was at it why not get something for herself?

The girl smiled at the thought, her eye suddenly getting caught by bright colors off to the side. Walking to this stall Nadia let her eyes roam over the large variety of cloths and materials for weaving and sewing there. Large canvases of complicated patterns, items for sewing, others for decorating. Nadia's eyes lit up at the sight. The shop keeper was busy with another customer at the moment, so Nadia took the time to feel some of the fabrics presented here. Her fingers paused on the display of decorative cords, like one might wear about the waist or as an accessory in an outfit. Biting her lip she ran her fingers over a cord that was an intermingling of dark blue and gold. The cord itself was about as thick as her thumb, and as she lifted it she noted it had a decent weight. Taking it in both hands she ran her fingers down its length to either end, and the feeling of the rough material made her flinch. Her wrists burned where the permanent scars remained, and she could feel the course feeling of robe that held her hands tight behind her back. She could feel once more that feeling of helplessness as she was dragged about like a sack of potatoes. The robes cut deep into her skin, drawing blood whenever she moved. The worst of it though was the taste of wool in her mouth. A hand absently raised to the corner of her mouth then, as if expecting to feel an open cut there but of course those were all gone now.

A shiver coursed down her body, and Nadia set the cord back down. Wrapping her arms firmly around herself, she eyed the items there with a measured gaze, not quite sure if she were interested or not.
Nadia Belanare
Player

Words: 21422
Joined roleplay: January 3rd, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Amael on January 30th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Amael cast a long look back at the Sunset Quarters. The ramshackle collection of tents and buildings sparked a sigh, albeit a small one, before she turned away. All her life, she’d been surrounded by the grandeur of Sultros City. It was so easy to take small luxuries for granted. She felt this acutely, passing those dejected faces. If only she could tear down some of the failing buildings to erect new ones, preferably with some sturdier construction. Her thoughts turned to crawlspaces and site preparation for a moment, before someone spat at her feet.

She eyed the toothless stranger with a cold stare. They stared back. Submitting to the teachings of Izurdin, she prudently chose to ignore them, continuing down the street toward the Seaside Market.

What disturbed her was not the irrational hatred. That was easily explained. No, it was the fear she saw in that woman’s eyes. What sort of place bred such total ignorance?

It had been a matter of luck and a few well-placed blows that she hadn’t been robbed blind, though having an impenetrable arm certainly helped. Perhaps they’d never met an Isur before. It was likely, given the small population of non-humans. She hadn’t managed to make a single friend since she’d been there, either. But that was the price she paid. Amael had left her home to build her skills and develop herself in a place where she could carve out something truly her own. Sunberth was that place and she knew it, for good or ill. And for the most part, she was indifferent to what was thought of her. She was a woman who knew her worth.

As she entered market, she drew up the hood of her cloak. It was a practical consideration, really. She wasn’t particularly looking for unsolicited attention. The Isur wandered along the stalls, maintaining a polite distance from those around her. It was only when she came upon a fabric shop that she drew to a halt.

Her eyes fell on a woman, perhaps even a girl, but regardless, she was beautiful. There was something so innocent about the oval sweep of her face and the caramel of her eyes. There was some sort of terrible remembrance in her too, a distant look altogether familiar. From a distance, she watched as this girl turned over a length of cord before setting it aside, shuddering delicately beneath the weight of her heavy coat.

She couldn’t seem to tear her eyes away from this woman. Here was a flower growing in the mud. She’d seem comparably beautiful women in Sultros and that was saying something. Some irrational part of her mind compelled her to speak. So, flying in the face of reason, she did.

”I’ll buy it for you,” she called out softly, low enough so only the girl could hear. Amael pulled down her hood, so her counterpart would know she wasn’t trying to menace her. ”If you’d like.”

What on Mizahar was she thinking? The person was as likely to spit at her as the stranger had before.
Last edited by Amael on December 21st, 2015, 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amael
I recreate myself; that is my only power.

Words: 49251
Joined roleplay: January 23rd, 2014, 2:25 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Nadia Belanare on January 30th, 2014, 3:46 pm

Nadia jumped slightly at the sudden voice that broke her quiet contemplation. As a reflex she automatically looked up, and then she blinked in confusion when she didn't see anyone. Then her eyes lowered a fraction and she suddenly found another woman, a woman who was shorter than she was. It was more often than not that Nadia was forced to tilt her gaze up to look at her clients and others, herself not being the tallest of her species, but this woman made Nadia feel as though she were a giant. This strange fact coupled with the odd tent of skin and striking veins made Nadia's mouth open in response but no words would come out. She tried once more, and with a shake of her head she tried to shake off the surprise with a smile, "O-Oh n-no no it's OK I was just looking."

Her eyes went back to the cord, both to continue assessing her want for it and to collect her thoughts at this sudden change in events. Here something she had never seen before strolled up to her and offered to buy her an object of her desires? Nadia almost laughed at the irony. Her eyes shifted sideways in a glance, looking the woman up and down before darting back to the cords, "You're not from around here are you? No one buys things for strangers. That is just asking to get a knife in the back. It's especially dangerous for someone who... stands out like you do."

Clearing her throat, Nadia pulled the coat tighter around her shoulders, flipping her hair over one shoulder more out of habit than necessity as she turned her full attention back on the Isur, "But... It's nice to have someone offer to buy something for me, and not from me. Thank you... but no thanks. The last time it happened things did not go so well for me, so I think I will pay for it myself." She reached out a hand to take the cord, but her fingers pulled back just as they were about to touch them. Her brows furrowed and she closed her eyes, pulling her hand back and looking back at the other woman, "I am Nadia. Who are you?"
Nadia Belanare
Player

Character sheet

Postby Amael on January 30th, 2014, 6:10 pm

She smiled slowly, eyes brimming with mirth. ”Is it obvious?” Her gaze was calculating but warm; she hadn’t expected such an earnest reply. Perhaps it was a happy accident that she had run into this person, after all. ”I do not understand this culture as well as I might like.” Her speech was strangely formal, as if she were translating from one language to the next. ”Maybe…” Her eyes darted away from a moment, as if contemplating whether or not to ask. ”Maybe I could ask you to teach me? About the city, I mean.”

Now what prompted that? While she need to learn just what would and would not get her killed, this could well… Get her killed. But she had a hunch, as she often did with her creations, on whether or not it’d turn out for the best. This sat well with her… Everything about the girl did. She just had to play this very carefully, lest she scare her away.

”My name is Amael Shale. I hail from Sultros, Kingdom of the Isur.” Her cloak shifted slightly, falling open to reveal her physique. Her right arm gleamed crimson in the sunlight. ”It’s nice to meet you, Nadia.” She placed a hand on her hip, shifting to one side. Even beneath her plain attire, it was obvious – her body was an hourglass, sporting an incredibly shapely pair of breasts and hips.

”I could pay you. I haven’t even been here for a full season and I’ve already been attacked.” Amael sighed. It was exhausting, always having to watch her back. She wasn’t naturally suspicious, not like say, a Pitrius. ”I’m not sure what to make of this place.”

Despite being vulnerable, the woman seemed rather at ease. She openly admired Nadia’s features, tracing the line of her delicate nose and round, full lips. Her eyes weren’t salacious, not filled with desire. They were simply searching, as if she were looking beyond the flesh and at something more.
Last edited by Amael on December 21st, 2015, 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amael

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Nadia Belanare on January 31st, 2014, 4:52 am

Nadia did not answer right away to the Woman's request, but she did look like she was considering it. She chewed on her lip thoughtfully, looking around at the crowd that milled past as she did. It had simply become natural for her to constantly look over her shoulder, to keep an eye out for any and all danger. Sunberth was a dangerous city for anyone, but especially for young women like her, and the woman before her.

Her eyes came back to find Amael's as she heard a name and a city she had never encountered before, "Sultros... I've never heard of it. Is it far from here?" As the girl was about to return the niceties the cloak was sifted, and whatever Nadia was about to say was caught in her throat at the sight of the Isur's arm. Her eyes widened, surprised and maybe a bit of wonder as well crossing her expression as well before she quickly looked around before reaching forward and using the woman's cloak to cover her arm once more, "Please... Please keep that hidden when you are in the streets. If one of the desperate thieves saw it they might try to relieve you of that arm at the shoulder..." Her voice was sincere. True concern was on her expression as she looked around quickly, making sure no one had seen.

Once satisfied that no one around had noticed the gem like arm the Isur held Nadia sighed and brushed a lock of hair behind her ear, inching closer to the woman as if she just naturally gravitated toward her. The girl's hand lingered on the woman's cloak, inching up to caress her shoulder before Nadia finally noticed the unconscious motions and let her hand fall to her side and she stepped back, a slight apology in her eyes as she looked back at the cords. It had become so natural for her, to drawn close to someone. The idea of 'personal space' was almost lost to Nadia now, and if she did not mentally check herself she often found herself standing uncomfortably close to someone, or her touches lingered too long. It seemed that she could not escape what she had become, a seductress in and out of the whorehouse. Nadia was not sure if she liked that or not.

"I met a man once who had an arm like yours. I guess he was an Isur as well? We do not get very many none human races here in Sunberth, and I know that the Slavers would love to have a few new specimens to add variety to their stocks. So... Be careful where you reveal that arm, or your skin. New things are dangerous." She ran her fingers over the colorful cords once more, lingering on the blue and gold one as she continued, "It's difficult for any girl to survive her, let alone one as unique and beautiful as you." It was a compliment, but how Nadia said beautiful sounded like that was a bad thing, "I... I can help you I guess, at least until you know the layout of the city better. But you don't have to pay me for it. This is one service I will do for free, which is rare for me." She looked sideways at Amael and smiled a small, yet sweet smile, "Where would you like to go?"
Nadia Belanare
Player

Character sheet

Postby Amael on January 31st, 2014, 4:20 pm

”Yes,” she answered softly. Thoughts of home made her melancholy. ”In the ranges of Kalea, far to the northwest. I would tell you more, perhaps later, if you’re interested.” It would be nice to share the tales of her home, but before her thoughts could continue along their path, she stiffened slightly as the girl made contact, pulling her cloak fast.

For a moment, she was taken aback. But after a moment, that teal gaze of hers turned warm, playful even. ”They can certainly try,” she said, pulling the cloak a bit tighter. ”This arm would be nothing but a lump of useless ore, were they to take it from me. But as it is now, it is my greatest defense. Still, as you say,” her eyes moved to assess Nadia’s hand on her shoulder, ”best not to tempt Lhex.”

Amael wasn’t sure what to make of her touch. It seemed to be second nature to Nadia, even as she pulled away, very obviously contrite. It didn’t seem to be driven by physical attraction – not per say. There was something else, some need lost in her honeyed eyes and that need brought her shame… Whatever it was. A very inexplicable urge to embrace this poor soul ran through her a moment, only to be ignored. Nadia was eliciting some foreign emotions from the gadgeteer.

Were she being honest, it was likely she just needed a friend. Amael was a social being, despite shutting herself in for days at a time. While work was and would always be her first love, other things came second, most notably companionship. After all, why else would she bother to create life, if she didn’t revere it? Throughout the years, she had been an extrovert, celebrated in her society as a beautiful, talented debutante. But here she was less than nothing, something to be spat at and ignored. And it made her terribly lonely.

At the compliment, she blushed rosily, the hue contrasting nicely with the metallic sheen of her flesh. Even if it was spoken like an insult, she knew Nadia to be sincere. ”I appreciate your honesty. You are the first to treat me like an equal, here.” She smiled shyly. ”I’ll go anywhere. Show me the places you like best and the places that are safest.” That’d be a start.

Was she starved for connection? Or did she truly feel a kinship to this girl? She was street smart, bold, beautiful and likely dangerous. Was she a thief?

”I’ll make you something,” she said softly, more to herself than anything. Nadia might be keen enough to hear, but she might not.
Last edited by Amael on December 21st, 2015, 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amael

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Nadia Belanare on January 31st, 2014, 5:26 pm

"No place is safe in Sunberth." Nadia's eyes now flicked between the cords at her fingertips and the shopkeeper who was still busy with some lavishly dressed pretender. The girl's eyes roamed up and down this person, taking in the rich colors that he wore, the wealth he so blatantly displayed, and while it may have fooled the shop keep (evident by his obvious attention to the man), Nadia could see it for what it was, "There are thieves and murderer's around every corner. Every shop will try to shortchange you. No one can be trusted, not even your family. There is only one thing you can really rely on."

Cupping her hands around her mouth Nadia shouted at the top of her lungs, "Thief! Pickpocket!" She felt eyes turn on her, the shop keep and the both bringing surprised, and annoyed glares in her direction. Nadia waved her hands frantically at the well dressed man, a frantic expression crossing her features as she pointed at a boy a short ways down at adjacent stall, "There he is! I saw it, he pilfered gold from this man's pockets when he wasn't looking. Thief!" The well dressed fool started, and checked his coin purse. A furious expression crossed his face as of course the purse felt lighter to him now that it was claimed he was stolen from. For the boy's part he looked just as startled as the man and the shop keep, but instinct saw him sprinting away in the opposite direction, solidifying his guilt in the eyes of those around.

"Stop that street rat!" The man shouted, turning to lumber after him while the shop keep came around the counter of his stand, using one hand to block the sunlight as he squinted off in the direction the two fled, most likely morning the loss of a customer. Nadia, however, simply scooped up the cord she had been eyeing, pocketing three more quickly while the shop keep was distracted and quickly grabbed Amael's hand with a smile, "First thing's first, lets find a new place to talk." Laughing Nadia pulled on Amael's hand, urging her to follow at a quick pace through the assembled bodies. It was not long before they heard the shop keeper shouting as well, though by this time Nadia was already leading them down a side alley, taking twists and turns here and there to put more distance between them and the seaside market. After a chime or two of adrenaline fueled fleeing Nadia pulled the Isur to the side, pressing her back against a wall as she did the same next to her. The girl's chest rose and fell with excited breaths, her smile big and bright as she closed her eyes to enjoy the rush.

"Welcome to Sunberth Amael Shale. The first thing you should learn is that you NEVER want to get caught." She giggled and slid to the ground, pulling out the cords to examine them with bright eyes. Looking up she asked brightly, "Are you hungry?"
Nadia Belanare
Player

Character sheet

Postby Amael on January 31st, 2014, 6:31 pm

”Yes,” she answered softly. Thoughts of home made her melancholy. ”In the ranges of Kalea, far to the northwest. I would tell you more, perhaps later, if you’re interested.” It would be nice to share the tales of her home, but before her thoughts could continue along their path, she stiffened slightly as the girl made contact, pulling her cloak fast.

For a moment, she was taken aback. But after a moment, that teal gaze of hers turned warm, playful even. ”They can certainly try,” she said, pulling the cloak a bit tighter. ”This arm would be nothing but a lump of useless ore, were they to take it from me. But as it is now, it is my greatest defense. Still, as you say,” her eyes moved to assess Nadia’s hand on her shoulder, ”best not to tempt Lhex.”

Amael wasn’t sure what to make of her touch. It seemed to be second nature to Nadia, even as she pulled away, very obviously contrite. It didn’t seem to be driven by physical attraction – not per say. There was something else, some need lost in her honeyed eyes and that need brought her shame… Whatever it was. A very inexplicable urge to embrace this poor soul ran through her a moment, only to be ignored. Nadia was eliciting some foreign emotions from the gadgeteer.

Were she being honest, it was likely she just needed a friend. Amael was a social being, despite shutting herself in for days at a time. While work was and would always be her first love, other things came second, most notably companionship. After all, why else would she bother to create life, if she didn’t revere it? Throughout the years, she had been an extrovert, celebrated in her society as a beautiful, talented debutante. But here she was less than nothing, something to be spat at and ignored. And it made her terribly lonely.

At the compliment, she blushed rosily, the hue contrasting nicely with the metallic sheen of her flesh. Even if it was spoken like an insult, she knew Nadia to be sincere. ”I appreciate your honesty. You are the first to treat me like an equal, here.” She smiled shyly. ”I’ll go anywhere. Show me the places you like best and the places that are safest.” That’d be a start.

Was she starved for connection? Or did she truly feel a kinship to this girl? She was street smart, bold, beautiful and likely dangerous. Was she a thief?

”I’ll make you something,” she said softly, more to herself than anything. Nadia might be keen enough to hear, but she might not.
Last edited by Amael on December 21st, 2015, 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amael

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Nadia Belanare on January 31st, 2014, 8:35 pm

"Not really." Nadia said simply, as if stating a simple fact that was undeniable. She did not seem overly concerned with it though, "But there is a place we can go where we won't be noticed. That is the best you can hope for here." She ran her thumbs over the brightly colored cords, her eyes thoughtful as she caressed them. A memory bubbled up within her, something that turned her eyes dark at the sight of these things. The feeling of the ropes that bound her sprang forth again. The feeling of being gagged and unable to move. Being helpless.

Her hands shook slightly and the look in her eyes was something close to disgust as she turned the cords over in her hands, "Its best to keep secrets as secrets. You don't want to know mine, and I don't need to know yours." Her words came harsher than she meant them, and she shot a glance at the Isur and shrugged, hand gripping the cords as she closed her eyes and rested her head back, "What I mean is... You don't know me, and I don't know you. You seem nice, but I am just here to show you around. I might be planning to mug you, you know. Or have my friends do it for me after I lure you to someplace dark and secluded... Like where we are now." She looked around the space, and smiled, "But... I don't actually have any friends so your safe from that at least."

She gave one last look at the cords, and for a tick she thought about just throwing them away. Every time she looked at them she felt that same sensation, that fear and helplessness that consumed her that season. They were a reminder of what she had gone though, so why keep them? She didn't pay for them anyway. As she stood Nadia took all the cords from her pockets, holding them over a pile of trash, on the edge of simply tossing them aside and forgetting them. Something stopped her actions though, and instead she carefully wrapped them, storing them in the bigger pockets of the large coat she borrowed from Rowen.

"Follow me. There is a place over the bridge that should be perfect." She said over her shoulder, already striding into the dense network of alleyways. Folding her arms around herself, Nadia fell silent. For a moment at a lost for what to say. She did not usually have just conversations with someone. It usually started as a pleasant meet and greet before quickly devolving into them tangled around one another, hearts beating and heavy breaths of passion. So this situation was new for her. Rowen was the only person she could simply 'talk' to. Maybe this woman would be too... Or maybe she just had not named her price yet.
Nadia Belanare
Player

Character sheet

Postby Amael on February 1st, 2014, 11:32 pm

”You’re not going to mug me,” she said simply, as if it were obvious. ”Not now, anyway. You might do it later, but not now.” Amael seemed unflapped. She simply eyed Nadia quizzically, as if she were a puzzle to be solved. ”I think I’m starting to understand,” she continued, and there seemed to be two separate meanings hidden in those words. While she didn’t comprehend the disgust in her counterpart’s eyes, she certainly saw it there.

”I think you could use a friend.” She continued. ”And since I’m not from around here, it’s obvious I don’t know any better.” With a smile, she buried her hands into her pockets. ”Lead on and I’ll follow.”

As they walked along, she noted a few things about her. First, the cords seemed to be a source of real conflict. The look in her eyes, the way she seemed ready to toss them… Her reactions were completely polarized. But why? What was the source of all the duality? Amael turned this over, biting her lip. As it was, she barely knew this person – she simply didn’t have enough information to conclude anything. But if she were to hazard a guess, she would say that logically, cords were often used to represent bondage or slavery. It could be that she felt them a symbol for something greater, perhaps being bound to the city as it was bound to her. Or she could be a runaway slave.

Eh. She dismissed these thoughts. They were nothing but conjecture anyway. For all she knew, the girl had once been involved in a terrible weaving accident. But whatever it was, it was undeniable that those simple objects held a special significance to Nadia, something that she wished to understand. And all things considered, she wore her complexity well. To Amael, the allure of that was undeniable.

Were Nadia to catch a glimpse, the Isur looked deep in thought, almost dangerously so. It was obvious she was the intellectual type.
Last edited by Amael on December 21st, 2015, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amael

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Next