Open Daily Training.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Daily Training.

Postby Kerrigore on November 8th, 2013, 1:35 am

He had only been living in Sunberth for a few years. Every day he woke up and was thankful for being away from the wizard. When he had hiked out of the woods, he was a wreck, the whole griving proccess was taking place. The fact that his best friend and father had died, along with many "uncles, cousins, and brothers" had died at the hands of the man. It took him awhile to clear his mind, linger thoughts of the man had caused him to see him as a saint, a defenseless old man. But in reality he was lonely and looking for some one to keep him company.

It had been hard at first adapting to a knew life one of little travel. He tended to stay in his home and continue to work his body and mind. Occasionally working on his magic, though lately he felt the need to practice more magic.

He sat up slowly, his bed very uncomfortable, and rubbed his eyes. Swinging his legs from his bed he stood, moving to the thick shutters on the single windowed house. He opened them briefly checking the time of day. As usually the sun was still not up nor would it be for another hour or so. He stretched his arms above his head and raised onto his toes. He walked to side of the house that was cleared, his wooden practice dummy off to the side. And he got onto all fours, bringing his knees up. He let gravity pull him down, till his chest was almost touching the deck, his back was straight and his eyes forward. Then pushing himself up he began to do his routine pushups. His arms, and chest worked tirelessly as he warmed him. His breathing was rhythmic and his muscles began to warm slightly from the nights sleep. After he could feel the stiffness and soreness building in his arms, he began to count his repetitions aloud. "One, two, three, one. One, two, three, two, One two three, Four..." Once he reached sixty he stopped. His knees falling to catch his tired body. He panted softly, a sheen of sweat forming upon him. Catching his breath, he rolled onto his back, crossing his arms so that his finger tips rested on his collar bones. He brought his elbows up so that they touched his upper thighs then went back down. His motion was fluid and perfect as he continued to do the reps. The burning sensation filled his stomach, and once again counted his reps. "One, two three, one, one two three, two" He stopped after his sixty were done, laying down for a moment hoping the burning would subside. Then again he positioned his arms on his collar bones, now bring his opposite elbow to the opposite thigh. His stomach already cramping he didn't bother to count, but kept up a fast pace until he felt he was going to retch. Laying down once more he rested awhile before getting up. Finally he stood his body was sore, but he paid it no mind. To over come weakness was strength and pain was weakness. He walked over to his bed where his Gladius rested. He drew the blade from its scabbard and walked to the practice dummy, he pulled it out from the wall and lined up with it. Looking at it intently. He'd never been one for swords mostly brawling and even then he hadn't had much experience. For being a Merc's son he felt ashamed. Though he knew he had more experience in other things.

The practice post was retrofitted in the fact that he couldn't afford it a weapon or armor so after one of the riots they had had, which was not uncommon, he picked up a few pieces of woods, some class and bits of metal pans. Also after the riot he had scored a decent pot for cooking but also for bringing water, and it currently resided on the dummy's head. " Hello Verl, ready for our match today? You won't win as easily as last time." He spoke softly to the dummy, what he now considered his only and closet friend. He always started slowly first striking the right hand, which was the normal person's dominate hand. The left hand swung, it had a board for a hand and generally hurt when he was struck. He brought up his sword to deflect the left arm, and then the right came around he brought his left arm up taking the blow from the counter weight. Though at this speed it didn't hurt but when he built up speed it could leave bruises. Soon he was in the rhythem of things. Sword strike, Block, Block, Jab, Block, strike, catch, elbow. He built up quicker and quicker and finally he was moving quickly enough to mimic real life combat, his arms reacting out of muscle memory deflecting, jabbing, stabbing, ducking and punching. After awhile light began to show through the shutters, not much but enough to let him know it was time to eat. He caught the swinging arm and relaxed. Moving back to his bed he sheathed his weapon and took a seat at the edge of the bed. he'd left kindling in the hearth, after a moment getting up he walked back to the practice dummy pushing him to the wall and taking his helmet from his partner and threw on a shirt, and pants. Walking out side he moved to the nearest water source filling his pot and walked back to his home.

He hung the pot on a hook stepping back he took time forming res slowly in the palm of his hand, concentrating and willing the res to go where he wanted it. he slung a small ball of flame into the kindling igniting it the dried wood. He stretched out his limbs out, and eventually the water boiled he rose to his feet and moved to the wash bin dumping the boiling water into the human sized container, he left with the pot quickly filling it once more and walked back within moments. He put the kettle back on, moving to the wash bin he tested the water with his finger the water was still scolding. After a while the water had cooled enough. He stripped down and dipped into the water washing the filth from his body. Afterwards, he opened the window and dumped the washbin out of the opening, closing it quickly setting up the bin. He scrubbed his clothes down and rinsed them out thoroughly Sliding on his undergarments he set about drying his clothes, grabbing some spare lumber from the corner of his one room house. He set the chunks inside the hearth, and used his reimancy to ignite the fuel, hanging his clothes over the fire on the wire, he sat back and watched the steam rise off of them, he leaned back grabbing his waterskin, and some dried beef from his pack. He enjoyed the steam it reminded him of a time in the old camps when it would rain and he'd get to sit and relax till his clothes were dry. They were like mini holidays. He chewed on the dried beef and occasionally took a swig from the water skin. After the clothes were dried, he got to his feet taking his clothes off the wire setting them onto his bed. He got dressed and went over to his make shift cabinet and drew out one of two books he head. The one he drew he had been keeping notes in, while the other was blank. He moved over to Verl, sitting next to him, also where he kept his quills and ink. He uncorked the first bottle dipping his quill in briefly and began to write. He wrote his thoughts on The flux, and some of his theories about The Flux, He wrote about Reimancy and the initiation. He wrote about mostly magic. Drawing Diagrams, or Theories on Incantations, or hand gestures that made it easier for him to caste or use the flux. He wrote about his hypnotism experiences.

After a good half hour of writing he let his thoughts dry. He put up his ink and quill set the book aside, and got to his feet. He looked Verl up and down, then pulled the man out. HE focused bringing his hands in as if to bow, his left hand balled into a fist while his other one wrapped around it. His focus sharpened and he moved the res through his body filling his pectoral muscles and arms, he gave a sharp open palm hit to the center of the dummy the Verl rocked and as he came around to retaliate he quickly brought his other hand up. he had unnatural strength and speed each blow would rock verl he could bring his hand up deflecting the blows easily. He stood back before he could work up a sweat letting verl calm. He then sat on the ground crossing his legs, clearing his mind. He began to focus his drjed through his body shifting it to each general part working on focusing it in his limbs. He took his previous stance and used all his might to focus, slowly he began to force it to move into his left arm he could feel it creep up from his chest and towards his arm, at this point his body was shacking. Finally he let it go. Taking in a sharp breath. Getting up he moved to the window opening it, it seemed to be about noon.
Kerrigore
Player

Words: 15745
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2013, 9:01 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Daily Training.

Postby Kerrigore on November 10th, 2013, 7:19 pm

Throwing on his boots he slipped to his door, intending on bartering with the local merchant for better food. He left quietly, glancing back to make sure verl was still in his spot. He gave a small wave then disappeared from the door. He made his way down the street as he went he dipped into alley ways and scavenged wood or other burnable things. After an hour or so of gathering he had a nice sizable collection of kindling, he skipped by his house tossing in a couple of choice pieces. He moved back down the street in search of a customer. Finding a stall relatively quickly, he stepped up to where the displays were located there were a few chunks of cheese and loafs of bread. None of it very fresh, but it would make a decent lunch. He placed the tinder on the counter, the man gave him a quizzical look. " I don't need any wood thank you, I've got enough at home. " He spoke slowly slightly weary of Ker. The man smiled softly, he could feel his djed flowing, it was sluggish as he fought to focus it. But it laden his tongue and his lips.

Before he spoke the man felt slightly more at easy. He felt better now the stranger, seemed to be of good quality, he had a friendly face though his eyes were very unique and quite attractive. Then the man spoke calmly his voice was firm and strong. "I bet with a fine stall such as yours that you would be too busy to collect your own wood. So I thought I'd do the friendly thing and help you collect some." He knew from the moment the man had smiled he was a friend. He even had helped him collect wood while he worked. He remembered that back him although his pile was enough for several nights that he could still always use more. When winter came it would be very cold and wood scarce to come by. " Well thank you! That was very generous of you. You know I was just thinking that when winter comes I'll need all the wood I can get! " The friendly stranger nodded softly eyeing some of his wares. He knew his bread was slightly stale and his cheese a little old. But like fine wine he knew everything got better with age. " Say there, whats your name? I need a name to properly thank you! " The man paused as if thinking, his smile still on his lips, what a friendly smile he had." " You don't have to worry about it. It would be a good idea if we exchanged my services for maybe a chunk of cheese and some bread. I think the wood I gathered would actually be worth more but you have to run a business now don't you?" He grinned at him, this was indeed a good idea, the thought had just occurred to him before the man had even said it. He liked the cut of this guy. Seemed friendly and he was helpful. Hopefully he'd stick around so he could figure out the mans name. " Just one second, and I'll get your stuff ready. " He turned around grabbing a cloth, he tossed in the freshest loaf of bread and the best piece of cheese. He turned back to him handed him the package, and scooped the kindling into his arms. "Its time for me to go, I appreciate the help."

Kerrigore took his prize, releasing the djed flowing to his face. and made his way down the street looking for some sort of tool shop. Finally finding a small shop he entered it pushing the creaky door out of the way. It looked to be held up by a single hinge. The shop was closer to a pawn shop than an actual tool shop as advertised on the outside. The whole inside was covered in different things some from meaningless to more expensive looking tools or objects. He floated about the room, looking for a cheap axe. He finally found one, the handle was a dirty brown, from use and the head seemed to be pretty dull. He picked it up from the wall and carried it to where the merchant was he held it up for the woman to see. His djed already moved to coat his tongue, and it ebbed around his eyes and lips, he focused on being friendly, subtly suggesting that he was a friendly person some one she wanted to know. " Hello, I'd like to purchase this axe or possibly loan it for a couple days. I'll bring it back, promise I won't hurt it." She stared hard at him for a moment trying to figure him out. Maybe he'd made it too obvious, so he increased djed to his eyes. After a long stand off and a very awkward silence he finally spoke again as she studied him. "If its easier for you I could put it back, but you'd get more profit from it, if you let me borrow it, I would bring it back with some extra fire wood. You could stay warm and it would be no worse for the wear." He was trying to salvage what was left of the situation. Though now he felt more in control as she relaxed. She finally spoke "Give me half of your lunch and you've got yourself a deal. " He smiled in return giving a small nod. He leaned the axe against the wall, unwrapped his package , he carefully broke the chunk of cheese in half and then handed her the bigger half, he chose the smaller portion of bread for himself and allowed her to keep the cloth. The djed dissipated and he gave her a curtsey nod. Then the man hefted the axe up and strolled out of the door munching on his lunch once out side he smiled enjoying the beautiful autumn day it was.
Kerrigore
Player

Character sheet

Daily Training.

Postby Quint Caravel on November 14th, 2013, 6:34 am

Day 74 (OOC: You left the time open so I put in one for when I'm in Sunberth.)

Quint was walking down the street when he realized he hadn't had anything to eat for some time. Since coming to Sunberth he had been so busy dealing with the aftermath of the flood that he hadn't been paying enough attention to himself. He wasn't sleeping enough or eating enough: he was simply too busy.

But now it was time to rectify that.

Quint headed for the open market where he knew some stalls were located. He was just about to approach a man about getting some bread and cheese when he spotted another man approaching. Quint studied the man carefully, observing him for a few minutes. It was no one he recognized. The man moved as if a bit stiff, like a man who had just started to exercise after some days off. Quint knew how that felt; it was like being at sea after too many days on land.

After a moment or two, the newcomer offered to barter his wood in exchange for some food. He was surprised to see that the stall-owner agreed to the deal, considering that the wood scavenged seemed rather worthless, but then he realized that the stall-owner simply had a good heart and was giving a poor kid a break.

Curious as to what would happen next, Quint hung back and decided to quietly follow the young man to see what he was up to. It was not easy-- stealth was not yet a skill he had mastered-- but he was an average looking guy in average looking clothes, so nothing about Quint stood out from the rest of the crowd. He pretended he was simply shopping-- which he was, as he really needed some food-- and continued along, still not sure what to make of things.

He was about to turn around and forget about the young man when Quint saw that the kid walked into another place and came out with an axe. This worried Quint, as there were lots of things you could do with an axe, both good and bad. So now it was time to intervene.

He stepped forward and introduced himself to Kerrigore. "Hey there. I'm Quint Caravel. I'm just getting something to eat. May I ask who you are and what you're up to?"
Quint Caravel
Currently dreaming about you!

Words: 151579
Joined roleplay: November 5th, 2013, 5:46 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Daily Training.

Postby Kerrigore on November 16th, 2013, 9:26 pm

(Well thank you! Its been along time since I've roleplayed. I'm pretty busy so its hard for me to get down to everything.)

He cocked an eyebrow, turning to face the man. His line of questioning caused him to feel defensive. He frowned softly looking the male up and down, while thinking upon his choice of words. "My Name is Kerrigore, and I'm running an errand or two. May I ask who you are and if I have done something wrong?" His mind slowly churned his options awaiting for the mans answers. He seemed older and more salty than he. His past experiences had always been attack first ask questions later but in this town when the city was constantly near rioting he couldn't risk being hunted down by an angry mob. He felt slightly ashamed that this man had followed him, and he'd never caught onto it. Though his ability to pick up on things of that sort had always been a little weak though at this point he could have as easily walked up and plunged a blade into his back. He let his successful work today cloud his judgement. These streets were very dangerous and death wasn't a stranger to walk amongst the mortals that settled here.

He'd practiced with two both forms of incantation words and physical form, he preferred but felt that using words would be faster in case of combat. Maybe he wouldn't need to use the flux. He shifted ever so slightly so that his back was facing down the street opposite of his home. Not wanting a pursuer to follow him to his hovel. Knowing the residences out look on magic he preferred not too get too involved with showy magic. The flux would make it seem like he was incredibly strong and fast, it may give away his magic abilities.
The man seemed famished. though you couldn't always judge another on their physical state of being as he'd found out.
Kerrigore
Player

Character sheet

Daily Training.

Postby Quint Caravel on November 17th, 2013, 8:38 am

Quint looked at the man with some confusion and bafflement. He rubbed the stubble of beard on his face, glad that he had persuaded the man to stop and properly answer him, but now he had to process that answer and connect it with what he was seeing in front of him.

And so he glanced up and down, giving Kerrigore the once over and paying careful attention to his shape and his clothing. Boots, trousers and shirt: nothing expensive, and nothing padded. He wasn't wood-cutter then and he wasn't a rowdy looking to cause trouble. Whatever he was doing, he seemed all right. Not harmless: no one in Sunberth was harmless, or they would be made quick work of, easily mugged or attacked or robbed. But not overtly dangerous either. Still, based on the conversations Kerrigore had with the two merchants, he seemed on the level.

Quint reminded him that he had already told Kerrigore his name, then decided to instruct the man into the realities of Sunberth. "Yes, you have done something wrong, but it's nothing major. More of a cultural thing. And I had to learn it myself, so don't feel bad. It's just that bartering is frowned upon here."

He pointed at himself. "My sister is a sailor. On the high seas it is not easy to transport coin, so many people barter. Many sailors barter; this is a fact. But here we are in the province of Sylira, in which you can find Syliras, the city of Knights and Squires. They have the Miza mint there, and the temple of Xyna, and all the coin in this area comes from there. After the great disaster, civilization would have collapsed if not for the Syliras Knights starting up the mint and making sure we all had money."

Quint explained that his grandfather was a minter in Syliras and he grew up from birth knowing about the goddess Xyna and that bartering was not good for society and civilization. "So, try to pay for everything. And if you can't afford stuff, then let the merchants know that you are charging a few goods for your services. Even if bread and cheese cost 1 Miza, you still have to go out and get 1 Miza worth of wood, charge the merchant for it, get the coin, then immediately spend it."

Quint shrugged. "In a city that loves freedom there is no judge to go to if there's a dispute. And so you don't want to end up in a situation where you make a deal with someone and they renege or quit on you. So that's also why it's better to always buy and sell stuff: no one will disagree with you if you've got the proof in black and white in your ledger."

He bowed to Kerrigore. "I sincerely apologize if I have annoyed or upset you with this, but it's always best to follow local customs. You strike me as a good man who someday might end up an important man in this place-- perhaps in the province itself-- so I'm just giving you a head's up. And if you want to volunteer your services, several houses by the water were flooded and collapsed; they could use a man with an axe to help out."

Collapsed House

Secret :
They are very friendly and flexible here. And you're doing a great job role playing. And I don't think anyone would give you grief over scrounging up wood. Just be careful not to do it with metal or anything for your magic supplies.
Quint Caravel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Daily Training.

Postby Quint Caravel on December 17th, 2013, 8:06 am

ooc: Ending this thread as Kerrigore appears to have quit.

Quint waited a complete bell and some chimes for an answer, then realized that he would not be getting one. For whatever reason, Kerrigore had decided to abandon their conversation. Maybe he was daydreaming. Maybe he was being rude. Maybe he had taken some unknown offense to Quint. Either way, they were clearly done.

"Well, I guess we're done here. Before I go, I shall sing you a song about a female pickpocket. "La La La it's the Pickpocket song! La La La, she was picking the pocket of some random guy, La La La, She said "I just gotta try and I just gotta try." La La La, she said "I'm going to take all the mizas you have." La La La, I can't think of something that rhymes with have. La La La, the pickpocket song. La La La, she'll rob you blind and she can do no wrong! La La La It's the Pickpocket song. La La La, I can keep this up for a time that's long!"

He smiled at Kerrigore. "You know, I feel much better! This is just what I needed to take my mine off my Uncle Pondar who died 3 seasons ago. Today was his birthday, however." Quint decided to tell his captive audience a story. "Once upon a time I had an Uncle. His name was Pondar Quadro of the Quadro Pod. He was the brother of my mother, who married a minter from Syliras named Caravel. I never knew his first name, so let's just call him Quint's father, or Dad, for the sake of this story. Anyway, Pondar and his Pod used to sail all over the Suvan Seas, and he had many women in every port, and he knew every brand of alcohol, and he was a tough and strong old coot who liked watching boxing and wrestling. And now he's dead."

It wasn't a very good story, but it was his first ever attempt at telling a story.

With his tale done, he waved goodbye and went on his way.

OOC: -- Quint exits the thread--
Quint Caravel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Daily Training.

Postby Vanari on February 1st, 2014, 12:25 am

Kerrigore
? +? XP

Lores :
  • ?

Quint Caravel
Observation +2 XP
Stealth +1 XP
Interrogation +1 XP
Teaching +1 XP
Rhetoric +2 XP

Lores :
  • Kerrigore: Young Man with the Axe
  • Teaching the Cultural Limits of Bartering
  • Earth to Kerrigore

Notes :
Kerrigore, please update your ledger with Fall's living costs and I will happily post your grades :) Quint, as a small side note please include the season and year as well in your timestamp for future reference.

Please don't hesitate to PM me with questions, comments, or concerns! Also, remember to either delete your grade request or edit it as "graded."

Cheers :D

A lonely heart is better than a bored one.

"Your Speech"
"My Speech"
"Vani"
Vanari
Vantha Vagrant

Words: 372424
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2013, 12:20 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)