Kelvic<->animal communication ~ Bat style

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Brandon Blackwing on February 5th, 2014, 4:15 pm

So, I was working on a post when a sudden problem came up. My character in animal form has to communicate with some entirely animal bats. I have come across some of these kinds of questions a lot, and I had read some of them a while before I started this post I'm currently working on, but the ones I read were about dogs or wolves,who use a lot of non verbal communication when conversing with each other. However, bats are very verbal animals, using different kinds of screeches and all that, a bit like how humans do.

Now I am a bit at loss what to do. I don't know whether to put dialogue or something else. I can imagine that dialogue probably isn't the solution, but I don't really know how to deal with this situation.

Please help,

Bran

Credit goes to Ollic
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Gossamer on February 5th, 2014, 4:41 pm

I worked with bats a lot when I was in college. One of my profs specialized in them and he was always dragging his students out for extra hands.

Bats do communicate on a whole bunch of levels. Just holding one in your hand or observing it in a bird cage you can physically hear them as a human make soft noises and facial expressions, gestures, all sorts of things. When you hold up a device that translate's echolocation into sound waves we can physically hear the room explodes with noise often from just one tiny little bat.

So... as a kelvic bat... you don't actually speak 'bat' per say. We don't treat it like you walk up to Bat A and say 'morning bob! hows it going?' so there isn't actually a DIALOG involved in that manner. What you can do instead is watch, listen, and pick up on non-verbal and verbal cues when the bat is moving, making noise, etc. You can get a general idea of what's going on with that bat or group of bats by observing. As a human, you wouldn't hear the echolocation chatter until you were an actual bat that was equipped to hear it. That might give you even more precise info on what the bats are doing/saying/feeling... but again, its not dialog. Bat's dont have languages like we know people, marine mammals, and bees do. So please skip the dialog. But you can know in general what the bat is feeling, saying, doing... like we can know what other people are doing, feeling, saying by standing around in a mall watching mall rats interact.

Hope that helps.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Brandon Blackwing on February 5th, 2014, 5:10 pm

It did! Thanks again Goss!
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Agnusha on February 8th, 2014, 3:34 pm

OOT: Marine mammals and bees have language of their own? That sounds pretty cool :D

credit to Ollic Rimesage
Agnusha
Horizon Walker

Words: 38732
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2013, 3:31 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Plotnotes