[Flashback, closed] By the old fires

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The massive stretch of desert that overwhelms Eyktol. Here, a man's water is worth more than his life, and the burying sands are the unfortunate's mute undertaker.

[Flashback, closed] By the old fires

Postby Zaira on October 20th, 2009, 11:17 pm

Summer 503 Night 56
Selfmod Training - Storytelling

The sun sett, the first chime had already echoed in the darkening skies and the fires were springing up around the tents. Today was a good day; it was one of the few days the tents of Karim met with others so deep in the heart of the desert. It was not planned, but it was good timing all the same. Today was Benvid’s parting, her eldest brother, and his wife would be leaving them soon. She was younger than Zaira herself, but already Zaira and her mother knew Benvid and her to be blessed with child.

It had been such a strange occurrence that oddly filled the women with pride, mother in her daughter, daughter, of her sister. Of course Benvid did not know yet later to night he would. But tonight, was still a special night, in celebration of their family growing, parting while saddening, was a joy, and to meet and share the sky with others as well.
Food was shared between merrymaking and music, a gentle smile was shared between Nefrit and Zaira, both women seeing the worried expression upon an unsuspecting father’s face as his young love declined much of her meal. The women danced, and the men played, and children were free to run two and fro between the moving bodies and twirling skirts. There was laughter and sweat, making skin glisten and breath quick. In the midst of it all, Zaira moved freely upon laughter and wind, steps no longer mattered before the music came to a end.

The music had ended but loud sharp beats of the drums commanded attention. <”Nefrit!”> The voice roared making many pause to turn to regard the man that spoke so loudly, those of his family smiled, Karim sat amid the musicians’ drum between his legs, the patriarch looking well use to the attention and used it well.

<”Nefrit, my soul, come to my side and show all your charm and share your words, your stories with the young ones.”>

Across the mesa gathering Nefrit sat upon brightly woven rug and looked as if she heard not a sound, not a word bellowed from her husband’s mouth but idly plucked the fabric of her dress and toyed with the strands of her hair. Soft laughter came in the silence that fell upon the pair. Finally Nefrit looked upward towards her husband, head reclined brows arched, and silver blue eyes regarded Karim with haughty expression.

<”No.”>

There was a pause in the festivals, though who knew, knew something was amiss, this was not the way the play usually went, but not much could be said for the fiery pair that by far fought as well as they loved, but always all was made right in laughter. This however was not their usual banter and bait.

Nefrit smiled lightly, sudden and free at the stunned faces <”Karim, my life, there is time for another to try her voice, be it in story or song. Zaira go, sit beside your father.”>

Eyes turned to Karim’s oldest child, and the surprise lit the girl’s face, laughter rolled from Karim’s chest and he beat his drum three time, sharply, and his voice was loud, but much less the bark, and roar from before. Gentler for his beloved daughter. Not to say his wife was any less loved by her husband, but where she would take his tone in jest and tease him back for his loud ways. Their daughters, they had yet to develop the strength of their mother, and his simple loud jests so easily became loud roars with this one, even as they loved each other so.

<”Zaira, light of my eye, come, sit beside your father, and put that old woman to shame.”> Karim smiled at his daughter who for a moment looked uncertain before.

<”Old? Says the man older than I. Soon, it will be time to leave you behind for the scavengers to feast upon.> Nefrits’ voice was soft yet loud, a false whisper they all knew and all chuckled to as Zaira sat beside her father and felt an arm circle her shoulders.

<”My new friends, this lovely creature, more beautiful than the dawn’s light, is looking for a husband, look well, then come speak with me.”> The chuckles nearly covered the girl’s gasp, and even as Karims’ arm held the girl still his wife’s voice called his name is soft admonishment.

<”Alright, alright. I am sorry. Speak to her mother.”>

<”Mother!”> The angry shout came as Karim hugged his daughter near, kissing the top of her head and releasing her. They were teasing her, but it was true, they needed to find a man for their daughter to wed, her two older brothers already had their wives, and even her younger sister was happily counting down the days to her own wedding, so why not their darling Zaira.

Perhaps she was too much like her mother, had too much fire within her that could not be released, she bore no marks but the temperament and dramatic flair. It was something; she would have to grow into, or out of.

<”Please, please, those of weak wills, do not waste your time.”> Nefrit chuckled at the shocked expression upon her daughter’s face, the young look of betrayal before she huffed and settled into her place with a scowl on her pretty features.

<”May I begin now?”> the sullen expression only called more smiles and soft laughter before again Karim beat his drum three times, sharp and loud and the gathering quieted.

Taking a breath, then a sigh, Zaira began. <”I know a few tales my mother has not told…”>
Zaira
The Wanderer

Words: 30459
Joined roleplay: August 18th, 2009, 2:14 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet