Closed Two threads intertwine, weaving a tale together (Amael)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Two threads intertwine, weaving a tale together (Amael)

Postby Nadia Belanare on February 2nd, 2014, 2:25 am

Nadia shrugged and kept her eyes forward, "I don't need friends. All they do is ask you for stuff that you don't want to give." Except for Rowen... The thought gave her pause. It was true, Rowen never asked anything from her. Sometimes she wished he would. Nadia knew she would gladly give him anything... anything at all that he asked from her. Just him, and him alone. It wasn't a job with Rowen, it was something else... But as always she kept these thoughts locked away somewhere deep deep down. It was best that way. Rowen could never forgive her if he knew.

The trip was uneventful, if a bit chilly with the wind beginning to pick up. When Nadia walked her arms were always close to her, keeping her belongings as centered as possible. She also walked to the side, close to walls and her eyes always checked over her shoulder. Her glance came on Amael more than once, and there she saw that puzzling look, which made Nadia more uncomfortable than any lustful gaze. Pulling her coat tighter about her she took a left off of the bridge, coming around a corner and leading Amael to the Entrance and holding the door open for her.

The Pig's Foot Tavern was filled as always with rowdy, loud and obnoxious voices of men and women alike. Drunkards sang along with the mistrals songs, women showcased their wares both objects and their bodies, and everyone talked and laughed and drank away their worries for another day. Nadia lead Amael to a table a bit off to the right from the door, not exactly secluded but where the other patrons around were more interested in their own conversations than two women coming in to take shelter from the cold. Sitting down Nadia smiled and waved at a waitress as she passed, "Can I have an Ale, and whatever my friend is having please."

Once the orders were taken Nadia would remove her coat, folding it carefully, almost reverently as she lay it across her legs and not the chair back. The bulky coat removed her own curves were revealed. They were there, but her body was thin and fit like one who did a lot of rigorous exercise, and who did not eat as often as she should. There was some bruising on her arms, just past her elbows that were suspiciously shaped like a hand print, and on her wrists were the permanent scars left from bells upon bells struggling to break from bonds of rope or hemp.

Crossing her legs and folding her hands in her lap, on top of the coat, Nadia finally looked at Amael once more, "So what brings you to Sunberth? Surely not the sights. There are a lot prettier cities I am sure, and safer ones as well."
Nadia Belanare
Player

Words: 21422
Joined roleplay: January 3rd, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Amael on February 4th, 2014, 2:01 pm

Nadia must never have had any decent friends. All her own friendships had resulted in quite the opposite. Thanks to all of them being craftsmen, they had no shortage of projects to bestow on one another. In fact, it’d taken effort just to find places to put all the gifts she’d been given, once upon a time. But that was not the type of thing she was likely to say to Nadia. She didn’t want to make her feel bad.

As they sat, she maintained a tight hold on her cloak. Even being naïve as she was, Amael was a quick study. It would be foolish to relax her guard, even – no, especially in a crowd. The waitress looked at her expectantly and she coughed. ”An ale for me as well, thanks.” It seemed the woman was satisfied and so, she set off to serve other patrons.

In the meantime, she gave Nadia a quick once over. The scars around her wrists… Unable to hide her expression, Amael looked uncomprehendingly at the woman for just a moment before blinking the feeling away. What on earth would compel a woman to seek bondage? That, she could not understand. But it was not for her to understand in the first place. It wasn’t any of her business.

”No, not the sights,” she replied, a hint of amusement in her voice. ”I came here to ply my trade.” The Isur eyed the room for a moment before continuing. ”Though I’ve found not all take kindly to it. But actually being here… I want to improve the industry, make it a better place to live. I could construct better structures with my eyes closed.” And as she said it, she looked entirely serious, as if this were a fact.

”I’m a gadgeteer,” she continued. ”Though some call me a scientist. I know how things work, like say, the way the Mill should run.” There was intent behind that statement too, as if she were implying something greater.

”And what of you? What sort of work do you do?” She hesitated. [b]”If you don’t mind me asking, that is. I haven’t had anyone treat me so well, here. I don’t want to scare you away.”
Last edited by Amael on December 21st, 2015, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amael
I recreate myself; that is my only power.

Words: 49251
Joined roleplay: January 23rd, 2014, 2:25 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Nadia Belanare on February 4th, 2014, 11:26 pm

Nadia almost laughed at the idea of someone improving sunberth, but instead the girl stifled the smile and choked back the laugh as she could see the seriousness in the Isur's eyes. Instead she sighed and rested her cheek on her hand as she looked at Amael, "Good luck with that. I doubt there is much you can do in a city with no laws to change it." She paused, looking away with a bit of shame as she realized how she must have sounded, "But then... I am from here, so I probably just have a hard time imagining it being anything else."

Then it came to that awkward moment when she asked after her profession. Nadia felt herself unconsciously avoiding Amael's eyes as she considered how best to respond. Her right hand absently trailed up her forearm, lightly brushing over the scars as she lost herself in thought for a few ticks. Luckily in that time their Ale arrived and Nadia smiled broadly, accepting the drink with a bright wave and wink before letting the liquid warm her belly and sooth her nerves. Licking the foam from her lip with a bit of an exaggerated flair, she shrugged, looking at the ripples made in the drink, "I am..." A whore. The words seemed to catch in her throat, which was strange. Usually she was not embarrassed to name her trade, in fact she was proud at most times. Now though, in front of this woman who knew nothing about her, Nadia found herself wondering what she might think. Those in Sunberth knew that many women were pushed into these jobs out of necessity, but here was someone not from Sunberth. Would she think less of her? And why the petch did she even care.

Nadia almost chuckled at the concern the Isur showed, "I've faced a lot worse than a bit of idle conversation. Honestly I doubt there is much that you can do to me that would scare me anymore..."

Glancing at Amael Nadia gripped the mug with both hands, looking at the drink once more before taking a deep gulp and setting it down. Crossing and uncrossing her legs she smiled at the Isur, trailing a finger over her lips as she lightly brused a hand over her thigh and up to her hips, "I am a giver of pleasure I guess you could say. For the right price I do any and everything you can imagine, and people in this city are very imaginative." Her smile waned somewhat but she shrugged and gripped her mug once more, not looking at Amael as she said, "But its nothing like what you do. I didn't know women could do things like that. What does a... Gadgeteer?.. do exactly?"
Nadia Belanare
Player

Character sheet

Postby Amael on February 5th, 2014, 3:06 pm

She smiled, deliberately stepping over her pessimism. ”I don’t seek to make the people better,” she corrected softly. ”Just the buildings.” In that moment, she looked a bit older, the reflection of a mother who worried over her child with every passing a day. ”It’s a lot like boiling a frog,” she added nonchalantly, not bothering to elaborate on the significance.

Nadia was suddenly uncomfortable. She couldn’t understand why. In fact, she felt a fleeting wash of guilt in realizing that perhaps it was her, her presence that made the woman feel uncomfortable. Amael kept her face neutral, listening as best she could. She wanted to make sure this girl knew she was respected, in spite of whatever self-loathing she carried.

”You would think from the things you’ve seen,” she replied, ”but sometimes this city shows less than half a brain and even less imagination.” Amael felt compelled to speak her mind. ”Though I know what you mean by that.” It was merely an observation of the more brutal, hateful side of Sunberth.

”Women can do as they please, if they have a mind to. I come from a place where an entire whole clan is made up of nothing but women. They’re called the Terras clan, and their arms are like amethysts. Some of the most beautiful women I’ve ever seen come from that clan. I’m a rare breed,” she said simply, as if her beauty were a statement of fact.

”A gadgeteer is someone who puts machines together. Like that old run down watermill, for example. I understand how the water wheel works, how it generates power, and I can put it back together with a bit of elbow grease.” And it was obvious that she intended to, by how she said it. Perhaps she was naïve, thinking these things were possible. But with no one to tell her otherwise, who was to say they really weren’t?

”A girl like you Nadia, so clever and beautiful, is wasted as a prostitute. You could do anything you liked if you had the means to do it.” She wanted to offer her help, but something said it wouldn’t necessarily be appreciated. But Amael’s teal eyes were earnest, intent on the girl’s face. It was fairly evident she’d become fond of the young woman.

”But your path is yours. I think it’s respectable. I bet you have some tricks too,” she said softly. ”I haven’t really, ah, done such a thing in quite a while. I wouldn’t even know where to start if someone asked me to.”

She sighed, blushing prettily. ”Sad, isn’t it?”
Last edited by Amael on December 21st, 2015, 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amael

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Nadia Belanare on February 6th, 2014, 5:43 am

Nadia really did laugh this time, an amused giggle that tilted the corners of her mouth up and caused her eyes to close for half a tick, before she looked up at Amael to see she was speaking in earnest. Clearing her throat, Nadia shook her head, looking into her drink, "A whole clan of just women? That seems a lot more like bed time stories than anything real. I just can't imagine something like that." She took a thoughtful sip, "You keep talking and the more you do the less and less sense you make. You really aren't from around here are you." She looked at Amael with a smile, "That's not a bad thing, but around here talk of fixing up an old watermill is just a mad person's raving. No one knows how to do it, and even fewer give a petch to even try. I just can't understand it you at all."

Her words were honest, for to Nadia who had lived her whole life on the edge of starvation and walked a thin line with survival, something like spending the effort to fix a watermill of all things sounded so far fetched. Who had the time to do that kind of thing? Who had the energy? Certainly not Nadia. She could barely bring herself to rise from her bed most evenings.

Again the Isur was making her uncomfortable. Nadia wasn't beautiful, she was tainted and she knew it. The words, while nice, felt like sandpaper on her skin as they brought to bear in her mind just what made her so vile and disgusting. What made her impure, and unworth of what she wanted most.

"Just stop..." Nadia frowned into her cup, eyes growing hard as she looked away, "You don't know me, or what I do or why I do it. It may not be the best thing for me... but it is all I am good for now. Petched up whores are only good for more petching. It's got nothing to do with having the 'means' to do somethin' else." Unconciously she had set down her mug, and her hands absently circled the scars on her wrists, ringing her fingers around those wounds like they itched her. Noticing the motions Nadia abrubtly stopped, folding her hands in her lap and still not looking at Amael, "There's nothing to it. Lay on your back and let him ride till he gives out. Oh and make stupid faces and say shyke like 'your the best I've had' over and over to make him feel good."

Her mood was soured now, her mind heavy with thoughts and concerns she had banished away to the deepest corners of her psyche. This woman really wasn't any good for her. She drug up the worst parts of herself...

"Men are all bastard pigs who only want one thing from a woman. I'd gladly cut off that happy part of them and feed it to the swine." Nadia looked ready to spit, so strong were the words that were spoken.
Nadia Belanare
Player

Character sheet

Postby Amael on February 7th, 2014, 1:00 am

Her perspective made sense. She knew that there’d be no believing it until there was proof the contrary. Why should it be otherwise? Here was a girl that had spent all her life within the ramshackle walls of Sunberth. All she’d ever known was grief, loss and crushing poverty. Anything more would seem fanciful by comparison. She simply smiled, imagining the day when she’d show the girl a functioning watermill, the day where she’d weave a small thread of hope into Nadia’s life.

”You’ll see.

But what came next caught her by surprise. She instinctively leaned away from the sudden source of hostility. So that explained it. Her words were indicative of a self-image so poor, it was nearly non-existent. Amael endured the ire in silence until it’d run its course.

”As you say,” she replied with a sad expression. ”I apologize if I made you uncomfortable.” It was ironic, really; the only person with half a heart had a lower opinion of herself than those who would see her bleeding on the ground. Amael wore a look of contrition. The last thing she wanted was to make Nadia feel bad.

”We can change the subject, if you like.” She offered, moving to take a sip of her frothing brew. ”I’m sure there are kinder topics. If you want, I can tell you about my people, since it seems makes you laugh.” With a smile, she set the mug gently against the table.

She’d certainly rather see Nadia laugh than frown.
Last edited by Amael on December 21st, 2015, 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amael

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Nadia Belanare on February 12th, 2014, 2:52 am

Feeling slightly ashamed at her outburst, Nadia looked away, nursing her drink and shrugging, "Don't be, it's fine..."

Mentally Nadia shook herself, trying to shake free this feeling within. For a moment she had lost herself in the bitterness, in the feelings she had struggled so long and hard to suppress. Why was it that they were being dredged up now? She glanced at the Isur, and then away once more. Why did what this woman said affected as it did... Why did she even care what she thought? She was a whore, she sold her body to live. Nadia had believed she had lost the last shred of dignity within her long ago, along with the chance of ever being loved by that one person...

Petch it all, I am never taking an off day again. Too much time to think is shyke for you... She thought, taking a large gulp from her mug to finish off the last of the drink, "I'm a whore alright? I Petch people for money. That's what women do here, thats how we survive. I am not ashamed of what I do. I do it because I have to." The words tasted bitter in Nadia's mouth. Was it a lie? Did she HAVE to be a whore, or did she secretly... want to?

Waving at the waitress to refill her empty mug Nadia nodded at Amael, crossing her arms under her breasts and adopting the mask of indifference as she looked over the room, "Sure, I would not mind hearing about your people. Like I said I only met one, and all I can say for sure about the men of your race is that they don't last that long when it comes down to it." She winked with a half smile.
Nadia Belanare
Player

Character sheet

Postby Amael on February 12th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Mae wouldn’t challenge her. There were simply too many emotions involved. The God of Patience had instilled in her since birth that everything had its time. Even birds were born without feathers, without a sense of how to fly. In time, they would learn, just as Nadia. She was like a mournful songbird, trapped in a cage of her own design. The Isur was suddenly inspired, stirred by the idea. If she were to become more skilled, to push deeper into her craft, she would one day make Nadia something truly astonishing, if she could.

But as it stood now, she could do nothing more than wait for the day when she realized just who held the keys to her prison.

At the remark about Isur men, she giggled. ”You haven’t met the right one is all. The men back in our Kingdom would go to ridiculous lengths, just to last longer. Isur are so competitive, they're always trying to outdo one another.” She laughed at the thought. ”Once, my brother tried to design this grand lift, so he could surprise the girl of his dreams. He had this grand image of him descending from on high, like a god. So I suppose it was only fair that Izurdin knocked him down a peg or two.”

She laughed, swept up in the memory. ”Gods. Talk about a riot. The minute the lift got halfway to the ground, one of the ropes snapped and down came Iselnos, face first in front of her and all her friends. Needless to say, things didn’t work out.” Mae giggled. ”He ended up marrying a human girl. It was a big controversy at first, but our people have adapted. Gwendolyn is her name. She’d give any Isur a run for their money.” Gwen was a fiery reimancer and smith from Lhavit that Iselnos had fallen in love with, supposedly at first sight.

”When Sealie said that he wanted to marry her, our parents went into fits. But I stood up for him. So when I wanted to leave, he stood up for me.” She smiled. ”I miss him terribly. But I suspect he'll end up tracking me down eventually. I told him I was going to Zeltiva. I think if he knew I was here, he and Father would come to take me back home, kicking and screaming.”

Sighing, she took a swig of her frothing brew. Hopefully she was helping to distract Nadia from more punishing thoughts. ”Men can be such a pain in the ass,” she added with a wry smile. ”You know?”
Last edited by Amael on December 21st, 2015, 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amael

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Nadia Belanare on February 17th, 2014, 10:02 pm

The story did make her smile... just a little bit of course. Nadia kept her eyes on the table as she listened, one finger absently picking at the wood while she suppressed a smile and her own amusement at the tale. It was so strange for her to hear someone talk so lightly of 'Marriage'. That was something of a luxury here, for those who had the time and the Miza. For those who knew what love really was, or even where to begin searching for it. It wasn't something for Nadia of course, but still she could appreciate the story.

Nadia played with her mug, tilting it this way and that as she smiled with a sideways look at Amael, "Yeah I do know... but something tells me they are a different kind of pain in the ass to me than they are to you." She fell silent then, looking back at the table as she chewed her lower lip, "I never knew my parents. I think my mother gave me up when I was too young to remember. I don't really know what its like to have a Father, or a mother, but I can kinda imagine what it might be like to have a brother." Her mind fell back to Rowen once more, and her cheeks reddened somewhat, "He's not really my brother though, but he has been my only family since longer than I could remember."

Blinking Nadia shrugged, as if dismissing a passing thought, "Anyway I don't know much about love, and I don't really get what 'love at first sight' means. It just doesn't happen here I guess, or at least its never happened to me." She paused a moment before continuing, "So Isur don't approve of interracial marriages...?"
Nadia Belanare
Player

Character sheet

Postby Amael on February 18th, 2014, 2:02 am

”I see.” She stared down into the amber brew. In that moment, Amael realized how little she knew of the woman opposite her. She should have known better. Life in Sunberth was hard; thoughts of a loving family would no doubt salt the already open wound. But to her surprise, the trace of a smile lingered on Nadia’s lips. So at least she had someone then. Someone like a brother.

At the mention of love, the Isur bit down on her bottom lip. ”I don’t know about love at first sight…” She trailed, remembering the night a certain mercenary climbed in through her window. ”Love maybe.” She felt her cheeks grow hot. Which then, raised an interesting point. ”Most Isur aren’t really attracted to humans. They’re accepting when it happens – it just doesn’t happen that often.”

A rosy blush crept across her cheeks. ”My brother and I are uh… The exception. Some seek people to complement their personalities. Many of us marry within our own clan. But others look for something different, I suppose.” She reached to take a swig of her beer, hiding behind the thick glass. Gods, she was blushing like it was her first time. Where was he, anyway? Briefly, she wondered what he did when she wasn’t around.

After smacking her lips together, she set the tankard down with a thump. ”I don’t think I’m ever going to marry anyway. My life is here now. This isn’t exactly a place of happy endings… If you don’t count Brega’s, that is.” Chuckling, she shook her head. ” I’m already married to my work. I’d make a terrible wife.”

The Isur smiled weakly. ”Anyway, I think when people say ‘love at first sight’ they mean something else. I know when I looked at you, for example…” She paused, choosing her words carefully. ”I found you beautiful. But I don’t know you, as you’ve said.” There was a bit of hurt in her tone. ”I’d need more time to decide.”

She wanted more time. Not to say she wasn’t already taken, at least in that regard. But somehow, she wanted to love Nadia, love her like she deserved to be. ”I apologize if that makes you uncomfortable,” she added, shifting in her seat. ”I seem to say all the wrong things.”
Amael

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

PreviousNext