Solo [The Asylum] Conviction

Aoren is interviewed by Bethany.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[The Asylum] Conviction

Postby Aoren on April 20th, 2014, 3:41 pm

65th of Spring, 514 AV
10th Bell

Please, sit down.” Aoren stood in the office of a woman named only Bethany. That very woman was gesturing to a plush high back chair situated directly across from an identical one. The furniture of the room was of much higher caliber than Aoren was accustomed to but he supposed when one held the status that she did it was to be expected.

Taking his seat he felt almost as if the chair enfolded him in its softness. The cushion was comfortable and the back of the chair supported his natural upright posture well. He rest his arms on the armrests looking around the room casually. The office reminded him more of a cozy apartment one might find in Syliras as opposed to the workspace of an important figure. A gentle huff drew his attention as Isikai made himself comfortable at Aoren’s feet.

That is a beautiful dog. He seems quite fond of you. What’s his name?” Aoren looked up at Bethany. She had crossed one leg over the other and had procured a book. An end table complete with a pot of tea and an inkwell were situated next to her. She smiled at Isikai who didn’t seem to be paying her much attention. Aoren leaned forward scratching behind the dog’s ear.

Isikai.” The hound perked up for a moment gazing at Aoren. When he realized that Aoren wanted nothing other than his brief attention Isikai went back to resting on the carpet at his feet. Bethany reached over dipping a quill pen into the inkwell positioning herself to begin her evaluation.

A fascinating name. Do you know what it means?” Aoren shook his head. It was a word his old mentor had once spoken to him in a lesson he now barely recalled. It had stuck out in his mind as something important but it’s meaning escaped him. He had thought about looking into it at some point in time but as he grew to know his canine companion more it seemed to be less and less or a priority. He was just happy to have Isikai’s companionship.

It is a word in the Ancient Tongue, it means faith, to believe, to trust in. It is an interesting choice for a name given the trust that exists between hound and owner.” Bethany made a note of some sort in her book before getting comfortable in her chair. She fixed Aoren with a calm stare and a pleasant smile. “Now then, shall we?”

He nodded. Aoren had just arrived in the city of Zeltiva. He had already known why he’d come to the city. The University was famed for being a center of knowledge the likes of which could not be compared to. Aoren was in Zeltiva in pursuit of knowledge. He was no longer content to be a simple man. The road to Zeltiva had shown him that more than ever. He was ready to step into a world that he had lingered on the edge of for years. He possessed knowledge of three different disciplines of magic. He wanted to learn more. He wanted to learn of the powers that, with enough knowledge and research, he could put to good use helping those who could not help themselves. He just needed to figure out how to use them that way. To that end, he needed the University.
Last edited by Aoren on May 18th, 2014, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[The Asylum] Conviction

Postby Aoren on April 20th, 2014, 3:44 pm

Before we begin I would just like to say,” Bethany gestured to Aoren vaguely. “…you are not the normal variety of student that applies to the College of Djed. May I ask what first inspired you to pursue a life as a wizard?

Aoren looked down at himself. His clothes were travel worn. His hair was shaggy. There was at least ten days-worth of scruff on his face. He reserved demeanor certainly wasn’t something one would expect for an aspiring student of ethereal knowledge. His appearance suggested he was more suited for the wilds traversing the land as a hunter or a warrior than as a scholar researching arcane mysteries. However, the mark on his face and on the back of his hand also hinted at the fact that there was more to Aoren than met the eye.

My sister. Weapons, fighting, violence, those things didn’t come easy to me. I may look the part of a warrior but I’m not suited for war. I was always more interested in the reasons behind why people fought than the fighting itself. I was never content with surface answers and I was always exploring as a child. That, and I am not very good with swords.” The remark about his swordsmanship elicited a chuckle from Bethany. She nodded motioning for Aoren to continue.

She saw that I had a mind for questioning and a strong will. She found me a teacher and he taught me the basics about magic and initiated me into my first discipline.” Bethany quietly took notes as Aoren spoke. He wasn’t certain about how he felt at being examined but he could only imagine at some of the people who came seeking the vast stores of knowledge at the University. They had to keep the crazies out somehow, right?

I see that you listed you are quite adept at reimancy and are versed in glyphing and shielding.” She looked up from the book in front of her eyeing Aoren with a glint of curiosity. “That is quite impressive for a man who has never had a formal education in magic. I’m certain you understand then that we are going to have to be a bit more thorough in your examination than what is normal. You do, after all, wield two Personal Disciplines already.

Aoren nodded. He had suspected that might be a possibility. Aoren was a budding wizard who’s experiences were mostly based off of trial and error. To a trained wizard it would be astounding that he hadn’t fallen prey to severe overgiving by this point in his life but for those that knew Aoren it would come as no surprise. He was very cautious with his gifts not because he knew the full depths of what Overgiving was but because he was cautious in nearly everything he did. Bethany shifted slightly in her seat before pressing onward.

Have you ever killed someone using your magic?” The question was point blank and straightforward. It caught Aoren a little off guard but he wasn’t deterred by it.

No. I have never killed a person using my magic. Beasts? Yes.” She nodded jotting something down in her book.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[The Asylum] Conviction

Postby Aoren on April 20th, 2014, 3:48 pm

You have obviously accomplished a great deal in terms of progress independently what makes you believe that studying at the University is a better choice?” Aoren pondered that question for a moment. He had only ever met one serious wizard in his life. That interaction hadn’t been a very pleasant one. Beyond that the only accomplished mage that he knew of was Devandil Nightshade, the Magecrafter of Syliras. When faced with individuals so masterful as that Aoren felt vastly undereducated.

I grew up in Syliras. Magic that isn’t controlled by the knights isn’t really welcomed with open arms. I couldn’t learn what it is that I wish to learn in Syliras without taking the Oath and swearing my life in service to the Order.” Bethany quirked her head.

Why not just join the Knighthood? I’m certain the Syliran Order would have accepted you easily enough. No doubt they could have provided you the education you seek without you having to risk the perils of the wilds to get to Zeltiva.” Aoren shook his head. There was too much he wanted to do and see before committing himself to a cause so beyond him he could hardly imagine it.

I am not ready for the Knighthood. I thought about it. I thought about the Mage-Knights at their command and the knowledge they could offer as well as the disciplined lifestyle they require. I could not as of yet see myself taking up the sword and devoting my life to their cause.” Bethany nodded taking down a few notes for unknown reasons. She tapped her chin lightly with the feather tip of the quill pen. There was silence between them for a moment.

For what purpose do you want to learn more magic? You don’t feel that you know enough already?” Aoren thought on his answer for a moment. That was the heart of why he was in Zeltiva already. He wasn’t satisfied with what he knew already but he wasn’t willing to swear the oaths required of him to learn more in Syliras. Zeltiva offered him a slim avenue of freedom in that regard.

I believe that magic is a tool. Like all other crafts that tool can be used to make that which can help or that which can hinder. I aim to use it to help. My powers are limited right now because I don’t know their full potential. I don’t know their full potential because I don’t know what it is that I do not know. The only way I can defeat my ignorance is by learning more.” Bethany smiled a perplexed look crossing her features.

You don’t like feeling inadequate.” Aoren blinked at her. The statement was friendly enough. It was all honeyed tones and soft smiles but the words themselves cut deep. Was it true? Did Aoren feel inadequate? Did he resent that feeling of inadequacy?
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[The Asylum] Conviction

Postby Aoren on April 20th, 2014, 3:51 pm

I…” She cut him off speaking over him.

Let me tell you what I’ve observed so far.” Bethany flipped a page in her book adjusting it so she could read her writing better. “You have praised the genius of your sister for seeing your weaknesses while tearing down your own personal achievements. You don’t want to join the Knighthood because you don’t feel you’re ready which begs the question of when will you be ready? You don’t feel you know enough in the way of the higher mysteries despite possessing skill in three of them and have no fallen prey to the mistakes most hedge wizards are prone to.” Aoren was taken aback by her harsh analysis. He opened his mouth to speak in his own defense but Bethany pressed on.

Aoren, let me be frank.” She closed her book fixing him with a stern stare. “You display a vast amount of potential and great personal drive that is hindered by feelings of inferiority. I would also point out that the mark so beautifully on display on the right side of your face denotes a more gentle soul not fit for the dark avenues magic can lead to. These things in combination with your continued belief of “not being good enough” and your tendency to glorify the achievements of others make for a volatile cocktail of emotional upheaval just waiting to explode.

Aoren was struck speechless. He had never been stripped bare so skillfully before. He wasn’t quite certain as to how to respond but it would seem there was more to what Bethany had to say.

I say these things not because you are without discipline but because this interview is about showing you where you are weak that you may grow stronger. The feelings that you foster in your own mind as of right now have a tendency to spark other feelings such as resentment, jealousy, avarice and god-complexes. That makes for a seriously dangerous combination given the kind of power the College of Djed can offer its students.” Bethany put her book aside setting the quill pen atop the cover. She folded her hands in her lap and stared at Aoren expectantly.

So, tell me why I shouldn’t mark your application into the University as denied?

Silence sat between the two. Aoren was still trying to process her assessment of him. He hadn’t seen any of those things in himself but as she pointed them out he began to wonder if there was truth in her words. He couldn’t say she was wrong but then again he couldn’t believe that she was right either. Aoren didn’t see himself as any of those things but there were memories from his past, experiences where he could fit into the puzzle she had laid out. He closed his eyes for a moment thinking. Bethany seemed content to let him do so.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[The Asylum] Conviction

Postby Aoren on April 20th, 2014, 3:54 pm

I can’t tell you.” He opened his eyes fixing Bethany with a calm stare. She matched it with one of her own a pensive look on her face. “I can’t sit here and tell you that I won’t fall victim to the temptations I imagine all wizards face. I can’t tell you that I won’t struggle with my own inner faults. I can’t tell you that I will be a shining example of the perfect scholar. Why? Because I am certain I will struggle. I am certain that I will fall victim to something in my pursuit of knowledge. What I can tell you though is that…” He took a deep breath. The words came naturally feeling right and true as they rolled off his tongue.

Our lives are a series of stories. Each day as we rise with Syna’s light we are offered a choice. We are offered the choice to continue the story as it stands or to close that chapter of our lives and begin anew. Who can say where our story will lead us? I certainly can’t. What I can say is that the key element of every journey is the element of Choice.” The woman seated across from him leaned back in her chair quirking her head to the side as she listened.

The freedom to choose. That is what I am certain of. Though those choices may not be easy they are there. I can choose to give in to my faults or I can choose to overcome them. That journey will not be without its struggles but it is one I am willing to face.” Once again silence pervaded the room. Isikai nudged Aoren’s leg with his nose prompting the Drykas to reach down and pet him fondly.

Congratulations, Aoren.” He looked up. Bethany rose from her chair. Aoren followed suit. She extended a hand to him which he took gladly receiving a firm shake from the woman. “Welcome to the College of Djed.

Aoren blinked at her in surprised but the relief at being accepted washed over his face. He shook her hand a bit more vigorously releasing it when prompted to do so.

Thank you, ma’am.” She nodded folding her hands in front of her.

All students are required to attend two courses before beginning their instruction at length. The first is a basic instruction on what magic is and is not. There you will learn the principles of Djed manipulation in a more formal setting. The second takes place simultaneously with the first and is held here at the Scholar’s Asylum. Its purpose is to show the dangers of Overgiving and impart a lesson on the responsible use of magic.” Aoren nodded taking in what she had to say with genuine interest.

Thank you. I will work hard in my studies. You can be sure of that.” Bethany tapped her chin with the tips of her fingers giving Aoren a once over from top to bottom.

Oh, I am sure.” Aoren turned to leave he was stopped when she called to him.

Aoren?” He turned slightly to face her. There was a curious look on her face as she observed him. It was as if she were staring at him from a far off place.

Yes?

Cling to your convictions.

Puzzled by Bethany’s statement but not willing to pursue anything further Aoren simply nodded and departed her office. When he was gone the woman turned to her book. She opened to the last page then grabbed the pen dipping it into the inkwell. A smile touched her lips as she made an entry into the book but whatever warmth there might have been in the smile did not touch her eyes.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[The Asylum] Conviction

Postby Fractale on May 24th, 2014, 5:25 am

Aoren :
Skills
Rhetoric +1 XP
Persuasion +2 XP
Philosophy +1 XP
Storytelling +1 XP

Lores
Ancient Tongue: Meaning of Isikai
College of Djed: Two mandatory courses
Bethany: She only has one name

Additional Comments
A well written thread and a pleasure to read.
If you could please mark your thread as graded or delete it from the Grade Request thread it would be appreciated :)

If there are any questions or concerns send a PM my way and we'll do what we can to work it out. :)

Modded Threads: 0/3

The avatar is a mixture of both the MC from the anime Fractale and a fractal as a background for those interested.
Fractale
Retired Staff

Words: 7968
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2014, 10:36 pm
Race: Staff account