Closed Small talk and smaller rocks

Turais meets Felakal

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Small talk and smaller rocks

Postby Turais on April 18th, 2014, 7:42 pm

48th of Spring, 514 AV

It was proving to be such a nice day today, that Turais decided to sit out in one of the small courtyards outside of the University. He thought it looked more like a tiny garden, but it had a small amount of grass to sit on with a few plants starting to sprout flowers with the warm weather of spring. So far the season had proved to be an interesting one. There had been a number of magic related incidents.

Turais glanced up from a leather journal he was scribbling in and glanced around, a sense of paranoia had begun to stir in him as of late. He felt the tension towards the University was reaching an all time high and he was worried that anyone connected to magic would be a target. He wasn't exactly an open book about his magic, not to any non student anyways. He sighed as he decided there was no one giving him any odd looks and returned to his journal, rubbing his nose as he went back to scribbling and effectively smeared a bit of the ink stick across his nose.

Sensing Auras at a low skill level is hard, especially when trying to pinpoint a relatively weak aura, that is to say one without much Djed laced through it. Feeling a powerful wizards aura as they pass by you in the street is a little easier, but incredibly difficult in a different way. He rolled his shoulders and shoved the ink pen back into a small case within his bag before closing up his journal, deciding that was enough writing for today. Writing about Auristics wasn't quite as easy as Turais initially thought. He figured he could write notes down as he learned and go from there, but so much of this he was still trying to figure out and it was so hard to put into words.

What he needed now was a distraction. He chuckled to himself as he thought about that, distractions. He could study, that would have been a good thing to do, but he felt uncomfortable studying out here and it was too nice a day to leave the warmth of the sun. Perhaps he could find another student out here and try to interact. He'd made one friend by just hanging out at the University already, why not try to make it two?

Turais' Common
Turais' Shiber
Your Speech
NPC Speech
Turais
Player

Words: 23754
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2014, 3:59 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Felakal on April 20th, 2014, 5:55 pm

Felakal walked around aimlessly, exploring the University. The akalak left one of the hallways and found himself at a courtyard with new Spring flowers and a nice patch of grass.

He saw a man sitting on the grass with a journal in his lap. Well... I'm going to need to talk to the other students eventually... He walked up to the man, not quite sure what to say.

"Are you a student here? I just enrolled, and I'm pretty new around Zeltiva." It probably sounded as weird to the man as it did to Felakal. He wasn't used to talking to strangers, and being social wasn't something that hte akalak was accustomed to.
Felakal
"Death... is only the beginning."

Words: 45668
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2011, 7:20 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Turais on April 22nd, 2014, 3:37 pm

Turais snapped his gaze up as he heard the creak of a door and saw a dark blue skinned man almost as large as him walk out into the courtyard. An Akalak. He noted in his mind as he watched the man take a moment to look around. It had been a long time since he had seen an Akalak, not since he was in Syliras. He ran his fingers over the binding of his journal as he thought about what he remembered about them. They liked physical fitness and weapon training maybe? He could only assume since every one he had ever seen was well built.. and male now that he was thinking about it. He wondered if that was how it was or if they did have women...

He quickly realized the Akalak had noticed him and was speaking. Turais furrowed his brow, back tracking to figure out what had been said. "Are you a student here? I just enrolled, and I'm pretty new around Zeltiva." Turais moved his journal into his pack and leaned back on his hands as he looked up at the man and offered an awkward smile. "Yeah, I am. And Welcome to Zeltiva. It's uh... usually pretty nice around here. What classes are you in?" Turais quickly asked as he shifted uncomfortable and lifted a hand to rub a finger down one of his crystaline horns as he did when he was nervous or just feeling awkward. He really did need to make friends, and he wasn't really picky about the shape, size or creed of those friends, he just wanted to have people he could talk to, and seeing as this Akalak was just as awkward as him with the whole conversational thing, he figured maybe they could be decent friends, who better understood feeling awkward in social situations than another socially awkward guy?

"I've been in and out of the city ever since I fell here a century ago. The University is pretty good, they have a lot of great programs, especially in trade and crafts." He added. He had been in a few classes in the past after he returned to the city in 500 AV. He had only recently began thinking about taking magic classes, and now that he thought about it, it was pretty funny, the year he begins taking the intro classes for magic, is the year, or rather season, that tension between the University, primarily the College of Djed, and everyone else begins to rise. He was just a lucky guy he guessed.

Turais' Common
Turais' Shiber
Your Speech
NPC Speech
Turais
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Felakal on April 24th, 2014, 8:27 pm

Felakal cocked his head a little in confusion. What does he mean fell here? He looked around the courtyard and nodded slightly.

"You're right about it being nice around here. I've only really signed up for the leadership class..." Felakal put his hand behind his head in embarrassment. "I didn't really have the funds to sign up for more than one class. What about yourself? What classes are you in?"

The akalak knew that he wasn't very good at making friends. He never needed to. Growing up, he had his faithful eagle and his horse to keep him company. Sure, he could rely on Sulavik when he had needed to, but he abandoned him several years ago and disappeared. Now all he had were his eagle and his hawk, but they weren't much for talking.

"What do you mean... fell? If you don't mind my asking." He honestly had no idea what he meant. He didn't even know what race this man belonged to. Felakal had a lot to learn, now that he was out of his comfort zone.

Felakal knew that if he wanted to start a new life, and make new friends, that he would need to learn how to make better conversations. He felt awkward just saying anything really. He had always believed that actions spoke louder than words.
Felakal

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Turais on April 28th, 2014, 2:50 pm

Turais gave the man a nod as he tld him about taking a leadership class. He vaguely wondered what exactly he hoped to do with that sort of knowledge. Turais knew a tiny but about it, but not enough to do much with it-- other than tend a little bar and be nice enough to get some tips here and there. "What classes are you in?" He bloinked and thought for a minute before offering a slight smile, "Just the Introduction to Magic and the class on Overgiving held in the Asylum. I'm trying to get into the College of Djed to expand on my magical knowledge." He admitted with a slight amount of worry in the back of his mind. There seemed to be a lot of suspicion against magic users lately, but he only hoped this new arrival wasn't as suspicious as the Wave Guard seemed to be.

So far Turais thought that was going pretty well. He was definitely not the best at interacting with others, but this seemed to be going well. The conversation was a bit rigid and awkward, for the both of them, but at least they were keeping it going. Either of them could have gotten uncomfortable and left anytime, yet here they were. In the Ethaefal's eyes that was a small victory for him and his goal of trying to be better at socializing.

When the question about him falling came up he shifted a bit. It was not that he did not telling people who or what he was, but, it was uncomfortable to remember the fall. It had een a traumatic experience. He had fallen from the Ukalas of his patron Goddess and had been thrown back into the land of the mortals. His smile faltered and he leaned back against his hands as he looked up at the sky before he finally answered. "Do you know what the Ethaefal are?" He asked before looking at the Akalak, but without waiting to hear a yes or no he continued, "I'm an Ethaefal, a deciple of Syna, the Sun Goddess. I used to live in her domain in the Ukalas, the realm of the Gods. Somehow I leaked out and fell here, straight into Mathews Bay, actually. That's what I mean by fell." He looked back to the Akalak after staring at the sky one last time and offered a slight smile. He was clearly feeling a bit of melancholy now, remembering his unplanned expulsion from Syna's domain. He was here now, he reminded himself, and he would do what he could to do good while he was here. Maybe one day he could return to Syna, but for now, he was here.

Turais' Common
Turais' Shiber
Your Speech
NPC Speech
Last edited by Turais on May 2nd, 2014, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turais
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Felakal on April 29th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Felakal had no idea what he was talking about. It all sounded like nonsense. Living with the gods? Yeah right. At least studying magic made sense to him. Sure, he didn't quite understand magic. But magic in a way seemed normal to him.

Seeing that the Ethaefal seemed a little off when he asked the last question, Felakal changed the subject.

"Anyway, what's your name? I'm Felakal." He still felt a little awkward just talking, but he was happy he was actually able to keep the conversation going. "So what is there to do around here?"

OOCSorry these are such short posts, I'm trying to get into Felakal's mind, but like I said, it's been so long since I was on the account. Hence the plan I told you about for the end of the season. It should make it easier for me :P
Felakal

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Turais on May 2nd, 2014, 2:30 pm

It was apparent that the Akalak had never heard of or seen an Ethaefal, which Turais found odd. He knew they were not the most populous of people, but he had seen others like him in his travels, some of them had been around as long as him, some since the Valterrian! But Turais figured the man spent a lot of time wondering and probably had seen one, just never knew what it was. It did not really matter, if the blue man did not believe Turais that was not a problem. Perhaps if he ever met more of them he would figure it out.

The Ethaefal gave a strained half smile as the other man gave his name. "I'm Turais. It's a pleasure to meet you Felakal." With the second question he had to think on that. What was there to do? Well, a lot, actually, he thought. A hand lifted to rub one of his crystalline horns again as he thought. He mostly stayed at the University and studied, or went to class. "I usually just stay around the University, but there is a nice tavern around the city where a lot of other students go, especially the musicians and artists from the school." He moved his hand to his chin and scratched at his jaw line. "They sell this tea there, some people love it, others hate it, it's made from kelp." Talking about the tea reminded him of something else too, "Oh that reminds me, there's also a bar here people really like. It sells Kelp Beer. I happen to work there at nights when I'm not studying. It's usually pretty nice."

Turais' Common
Turais' Shiber
Your Speech
NPC Speech
Turais
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Felakal on May 5th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Felakal's mind flashed to the last time he was at a bar. He shuddered at what little he did remember from his drunken state. "Tea huh? I'd be willing to give it a try. Can't say that I've had any kelp products."

Felakal ran his hand through his hair. "I don't suppose you know where I could get some physical training, do you? I haven't been able to use my Lakan for a while now." It didn't even cross the akalak's mind that Turais might not know what a Lakan was. After all, he hadn't socialized very much since he left Riverfell three years ago. He was used to being around Akalak culture.
Felakal

Character sheet
Scrapbook