Completed Spears! Axes! And...Boomerangs?

Some are for hunting, some are for defense and some are ... annoying

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Spears! Axes! And...Boomerangs?

Postby Lani Stranger on May 8th, 2014, 1:02 am

7th of Spring 514AV

It was a rather interesting list which brought her to the armoury. She needed something to hunt with, but as she stepped into the modest shop, she realized that was not the only thing she wanted. Fierce weapons and armour were arranged around the shop, on shelves and walls. The metal gleamed from the sun through the windows, and Lani found herself wanting more than just a simple hunting weapon. Immediately she was lost. She had no idea where to get what she wanted. Before Lani was given a chance to further ponder her predicament, something caught her eye. It was a small section, towards the front of the shop, with weapons in it that weren’t particularly made out of metal. Practice weapons. Lani picked up a wooden sword, switching the hilt between her hands. She remembered how she had seen some Syliran Knights with their swords. Much larger and scarier than the simple plaything she held. Turning her left ankle out and bending her knees, Lani thrust the sword forward with her left hand, bringing her right hand back. She couldn’t see herself, but assumed that she looked like one of the knights, or the squires, ready to jest with each other. Lani immediately felt silly, sure she was doing it wrong. Sliding the wooden sword back into its barrel, with the assortment of other weapons, Lani glanced behind her. Someone stood next to her, a clerk or some sort of shop owner. A small grin was suppressed on his face, and Lani let a smile of her own shine through, speaking before they could.

“I’m just looking for a hunting weapon.” The human’s face sobered a bit, looking into her black eyes.

“Well, if you need any assistance, just let me know.” He cleared his throat, placing a hand on the wooden sword Lani had just set down. Lani nodded, intertwining her fingers behind her back, and promising herself she wouldn’t play with anything. Her eyes scanned over the practice weapons one last time, she needed to look at real weapons. She couldn’t kill anything with a wooden shield. Lani turned her eyes away from the wood section, but not before her eyes caught on a rather interesting weapon. It was a simple ‘V’ carved out of wood, one side was flat and the other slightly curved. It didn’t look like any weapon she had seen before, and Lani wondered what it did, and what it was called. Picking up to object, she flipped it between her hands. It was about the size of her forearm, and not too light, nor too heavy. Lani wondered if the ends of the ‘V’ were used for bashing, or if the flat side was used for smacking. It seems odd, smacking someone with a wooden ‘V’, but then again it would likely make a very satisfying sound and an odd mark on their cheek. Shrugging, Lani turned toward the counter, where the blue eyes human sat. He was flipping through a book and writing in another, some sort of cataloging. Lani placed the item down on the counter, catching the man’s eye as he looked up.

“Boomerang?” He asked, eyebrows turning down. He probably thought it was odd that she chose that as her hunting weapon, and Lani mentally agreed with him. She couldn’t bash an animals brains in with a wooden ‘V’ or Boomerang, as the man had named it. “Will that be all, or do you need help finding a … proper weapon?”

]“Actually, I was wondering what it was. What is it used for? I’ve never seen it before.” Lani asked, hooking her index finger on one branch of the boomerang and swirling it in a circle.

“Hmm, well I don’t know exactly what it is used for, but it came from the Cyphrus region, around Eyktol I think. It’s pretty cool actually, wish I could show you, but I don’t know how to use it. Rals picked it up. What you do, is you throw it like this,” He snatched the boomerang, mid spin off the desk and held it up. All four fingers and thumb clutched around one tip, the flat side facing himself. He curled his arm back, and flicked his wrist, keeping the Boomerang verticle and not letting go of it. “And just slick it with your wrist. Then it goes about ten or fifteen feet and comes right back.”

"Comes back?” Lani questioned as he handed the wooden weapon back to her.

“Yeah, I don’t know how it works. If you get a bone one or one with denser wood, it will go farther. I don’t think Rals has managed to make metal ones, he was mostly just mimicking the one he picked up. It’s two golds, you going to get it?”

“Maybe, sounds interesting … But I want to look at some other things first as well.” Lani let her words teeter off, thinking about her decision. Lani had never really been against weapons, or having them on hand. R’hyse had never bothered to teach the mixed blood about weapons, but she had never let them become taboo. Carrying around various weapons of her own, she made it seem normal as Lani grew up. It became a necessity in life. Lani’s time in the Spires had mellowed out her thoughts on them though. The peaceful Jamoura saw no need for weapons, and after Lani lost her set of daggers to R’yse, she had never gotten new ones. She didn’t feel the need to. The crucial time of her early teenage years without weapons had kept her need for them from developing into something uncontrollable, like R’yse had. Lani furrowed her brows, as she shuffled to the ranged weapon section, deciding she was thinking way too hard on the reason for her to want to defend herself. Anyhow, she came her for a hunting weapon, for class. Lani’s eyes scanned the bows and arrows that lined the wall, none of it seemed to fit her taste. She wasn’t particularly fond of the bulky range weapons, but they seemed to be the bulk of the ranged weapons section. It wasn’t until her eyes fell on a particularly iteresting weapon that her mind was set. A spear.

PC/NPC Talking -- Common -- Kontinese -- Thoughts
Last edited by Lani Stranger on June 17th, 2014, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Words: 697231
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2014, 11:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Lani Stranger on May 8th, 2014, 9:13 pm

The idea of it seemed primitive, and she was sure the weapon would not double as defense. Well … I could whack them with the stick end of it? Lani ran a finger beside her ear, wiping the hair out of her face before reaching for the object. She didn’t have to stretch, like a shorter human would have, she lifted the spear off the hook and balanced it in both hands. Light … and short. Lani thought to herself. Her hand could easily grip the dense wood that the spear was made of. The tip was a shiny silvery metal. Could have been steel, but Lani wasn’t positive. Lani didn’t hesitate to run her finger along the sharp edge of the head of the spear, though she did it lightly. It was sharp towards the tip, she could see the marks were someone had taken off layers of metal until it reached the thin edge of the spear, that she was sure could cut through muscle with ease. Towards the base of the head, jagged indents began to appear, although small. She didn’t know what they were for, which turned her feet toward the counter again. The human looked up as she approached, his face lighting up more at her choice, clearly it was more approved than the strange boomerang she held in her other hand. She grinned at him, setting it down. “Tell me about it, I want to know what I’m getting before I do.”

“Ah, a spear. I’m quite fond of these.” He picked up the spear, grinning up at her and then back at the weapon in his hand. “It’s funny, not a lot of people like them. They think they are primitive or hard to maneuver.” Lani nodded, she had thought the first part, but didn’t really think much about how easy it would be to use. “And it is, sort of. At the beginning you will want to practice it a lot. You want to do that with any weapon. But with a spear you want to learn your balance, your aim and your power. Its those three mixed together that will make this weapon truly great. You are using it for hunting, yes? Well, I haven’t practiced much with spears myself, but I apprentice Rals you know,” So that’s what he is. Lani thought, he didn’t seem to be simply a clerk, he knew too much about the weapons to simply sell them. It made sense that he was apprenticing this Rals guy, who seemed to be the main weaponsmith by the way this man talked about him. Lani leaned down, resting her elbows on the counter as the man talked, watching him animate the spear as he talked. “But I made a few, some of the practice ones, thats all Rals will let me do for now, so I know about what I’m making before I can work with the metal, and make weapons for real. Anyways, the tip is made of steel, one of the hardest and most common materials you will get. The only one better would be Isurian steel, but we don’t have access to that, and if we did, it wouldn’t simply be in the shop. And here,” He pointed to a teal colored gemstone on the tip of the spear, embedded into the wood. Lani hadn’t noticed it before, and it was clearly for decoration. “Thats an agate, coral one. Its pretty common around Zentiva, and we pop in on a few weapons for a little extra bling. It’s a good choice, sturdy weapon and very useful, despite what people tell you. I’m not sure how it will be in a dense forest, but you will decide that, I guess. Now, are you going to keep looking or is that all for you?”

“I’m going to keep looking.” The apprentice handed her the spear back, and Lani took it, turning it over so she could look at the gem. It was rightly named, as the gem looked like coral was built into it. The stone around the coral looked textured and glittery, clearly sand. But it had been smoothed out, and the edges of the gem seemed to press into the wood. She brought a finger up to wiggle the stone, thankfully it didn’t budge. Lani decided she didn’t care too much if it fell off, it was pretty but not necessary. As she looked at the gemstone, her eyes glided past the serrated base of the spear. She turned it so that the apprentice could look at what she saw. “Whats the edge for?”

“Ah, its partially for decoration.” Lani rolled her eyes, unnoticed since they were completely black. Why was everything decorative? Was it even useful? “But it does have a use.” He contradicted her thoughts, snatching her attention back. “Because this spear is made for throwing, not thrusting, it goes deep enough to get the head in the animal, but it won’t go all the way through it, unless you are right up next to your prey. But I wouldn’t suggest thrusting with this, its not built for that. What the serration does is keep the head in, so your spear will stay in the animal, make it easy to grab and kill, if your aim wasn’t to the neck or eye. Look, if you want to keep looking, I will hold this here for you, and you can come on back when you’ve found everything.” Lani smiled gratefully, letting him take the spear and the boomerang from her, turning back towards the weapons.

Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Lani Stranger on May 8th, 2014, 9:33 pm

It didn’t take her very long to pull three more weapons off the shelf, placing them on the counter. The man picked up the great axe that, with great effort, Lani had lugged to him. He held it in both hands, looking at her doubtfully. The metal was darker, less shiny. It seemed duller even, and it seemed to add to the weight of the weapon. Lani looked at him expectantly as the man dropped glances at her, his doubt turned into amusement and he handed the weapon back to her. “Are you trying to build an army? ‘Cause I’ll go get the Sailor’s Guild …” The man joked, and a small smile nudged the edge of her lips.

“What’s it for? Do you throw it or something?” Lani’s curiosity had taken over her voice, and she turned the weapon in her hands, animated her question.

“No way. You can’t even hold the thing properly. I would not suggest this one for you.” The man stood, placing his quill in the ink and bending the spine of the book so that it would stay open. He pulled the axe from her hand, and picked up the other two weapons, a curved sword and a crossbow. “Here, what are you looking for? Are you new to weapons?” Lani nodded following the man as he placed the items back.

“Actually I’m pretty good with throwing daggers. Well no, I’m not good at them, but I know how to use them.” Lani changed her mind, the man stopped short, Lani nearly running into him. He pointed to a selection of boxes. One lay open, displaying an impressive set of daggers. The light thin blades were built so that they were easy to throw.

“Here, pick out a set. The cheaper ones are at the top, and the more expensive at the bottom. I wouldn’t suggest getting one too cheap, those ones are mainly made for practice, and won’t hold up well against much more than a tree.” He chose one off the top, turning. Lani crouched, focusing on the more expensive daggers towards the bottom. Still light and thin, as was the nature of the weapons, but more sturdy and the set came with a few varieties of shapes. Just then, Lani noticed the buzz of a dagger flying through the air. Eyes wide, she looked up. A grin lit up the apprentice’s face, as he looked off into the distance. Lani picked up the box of daggers she was looking at and stood up, turning her head so she was looking where he was. A bullseye was hung on the wall behind the counter, well used with the paint almost gone. Just outside of the center ring, a dagger was barely half an inch thick in the wood.

“Way to go!” Lani switched the box to one hand, and reached up for a high five with the other. The movement was returned, and the man picked up another dagger from the box. Lani noticed the ease with which he twirled it so that his index finger and thumb pinched the blade, handle towards her. Must be his weapon of choice. Lani thought with a grin, taking the dagger from him.

“I’m not the best, haven’t messed with these since I was a kid.” Lani switched the box between hands, holding the dagger with her right one, putting it up to the bullseye and eyeing the distance. She knew she wouldn’t be able to hit the center, but she aimed for it anyway. Arching her arm back so that the blade hovered next to her ear, Lani flung her wrist forward, the dagger with it. She threw it too soon, just before the tip pointed at the board, and the dagger clashed with the stone above the bullseye, far off from her target. She let out a breathy laugh, followed by the chuckled of the man next to her.

“Here.” This time Lani took the dagger with her left hand. She didn’t have a preference, she could use either side, but now she knew the weight of the dagger. She had a better feel of the distance and maybe she could make the board this time. Again Lani brought the blade to her ear. She tossed her wrist forward once, not letting go of the dagger, but stopping just where she would have to throw it. Arching her hand back she flicked her wrist forward again, less momentum and more focus on the aim. Her heels rose as her wrist flung the dagger, a little momentum for her throw. This time the dagger hit the outer ring of the bullseye. It embedded itself into the center of the thick red line, and Lani turned to the man, grinning. “Ah! There you go!” He returned her grin, looking down at the box in her hands. “You want that one?”

“Yes please.” Lani followed the man back towards the counter. He held out his hand for the box and she handed it to him. As he turned behind the counter, he stooped to grab the dagger that hadn’t made it. Setting the box next to the spear and the boomerang, he plucked the daggers out of the board, giving his own a greater tug than hers. “I’ll put those back for ya.” Lani offered, and he gave her a grateful smile. Again he turned the hilts towards her, keeping his fingers off the sharp edge of the blade. Lani noticed it too, deciding she would want to be able to handle the daggers with the ease he did. Making note of that, Lani figured she would be twirling a few daggers in her spare time.

“I’m just going to write this up in the ledger for you, that’s all right?” Lani nodded as she turned, walking to the other side of the shop to replace the daggers. As she passed the melee weapons again, she eyed one of the smaller axes. It looked to only be the length of her forearm, with the blade a little bigger than her hand. She actually wanted to have a defense weapon. Lani had never been found of being in fights, and even though Zeltiva seemed like a very safe and friendly city, it never hurt to be careful. R’yse had seemed very safe and friendly until she tried to toss Lani into the Void. Lani found the box that was open for display, three open slots for the daggers to rest in. Next to the daggers, leather scabbard-looking things were hanging on a hook. The only difference was that there was no place for the blade, just a hunk of leather meant to be attached to a belt. Lani didn’t know the name for the item, but she knew what they were for. If she attached them to her belt, they would hold her weapon. Lani picked up one of them on her way back. It was built for throwing daggers and looked as if it would hold a few of the thin blades. Again the iron axe caught her eye. On a last second decision, she swiped the weapon, placing it on the counter along with the leather holders. She didn’t know how to use the axe, but was sure she could figure it out.

“A frog and … Another axe? At least this one is proportionately sized.” Lani grinned at the man like a child, she really wanted to know how to use the axe. “Look, do you even know how to use an axe?”

“Well no, but-”

“Here.” He stood with a sigh, handing her the axe. Lanin looked down on it, defiance starting to build in her. So what if I didn’t know anything about it? I can teach herself for find someone who will. Who was he to say what she could and couldn’t do? “What you want to start with is a practice axe.” He walked around the counter again, eliminating the heated thoughts Lani had begun. So he is actually helping me? Lani immediately scolded herself, as he headed to the wooden section. She hung the axe back on the wall, and trotted a few steps to catch up to him. He pulled out a wooden axe, bouncing it in his hand. “Here, if you don’t want a completely wooden weapon, this one had a metal core in it.” Lani watched his finger trace the base of the blade where she could see the metal that sat behind the wood. “If you practice with this, on a tree or a dummy, you will get better. Most people don’t like this option, they prefer to go straight to the weapon, but it’s easier this way. You can scuff and dent this as you wish, you may only keep it for a season at most. It’ll give you the feel for the axe before you get the real thing, and honestly, you will gain experience quicker if you just practice it.”

“Can you show me how I’m supposed to use this?” Lani asked as he placed the wooden weapon in her hands. He shrugged heading towards the counter.

“I haven’t a clue how to use the axe. I’m more of a dagger and sword type of guy. But it doesn’t look to hard to figure out, just whack things with it until its deadly in your hands.” He sat down behind the counter again, scribbling her newest item into the ledger. Lani sighed, pulling out her money. She was somewhat surprised at the price he gave her. It wasn’t entirely cheap, but she expected to be paying a lot more than she was. Thanking the man, Lani grabbed her items, arranging them in her arms so that they weren’t bulky, and exited the store. Motivation launched her steps towards her dorm at the University, she wanted to start practicing now.

Last edited by Lani Stranger on May 10th, 2014, 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Lani Stranger on May 9th, 2014, 11:25 pm

As Lani strode through the small courtyard in front of her dorm, her arms were tired. But her motivation was still going strong. With new weapons in hand, and an open space in her day to play with them, that was what she was going to do. Setting her things down on a bench beside a tree, Lani kept her practice axe in her hand. Switching it between her hands and flipping it over until she found how exactly she wanted to hold it. It took some getting used to, but the handle wasn’t smooth so it was easier to grip. Lani let her eyes wander over to the tree. She noticed that it wasn’t terribly large, The branches started just above her head and the trunk was only a little thicker than her lean frame. As she judged her opponent, it occurred to Lani that she hadn’t really focused on her body recently. Her calf muscles and thighs had toned out nicely, walking along side the caravan. But, like her throwing dagger, she was rusty on taking care of herself. She hadn’t done much since she left the Spires, so she knew she wasn’t going to be as flexible or strong as she was used to being.

Lani decided to stretch first, the walk from West Street to the University dorms had left her muscles warm and tingling for action. She had picked up a few exercising techniques from one of Quett's wives. Lightly tossing the wood axe on the bench, separate from her other weapons, Lani took a few steps back, clearing herself a space to stretch. Lani twisted her fingers together, pulling her arms out in front of her. She could hear her shoulders pop and she groaned as she stretched a muscle she hadn’t in a while. Folding her left arm behind her neck she pressed her right hand against her opposing elbow. The stretch was familiar to her ribcage and it felt good to move her body again. She did the same with her right arm to even it out with left. Her ankles clicked together as she repositioned, bending down. She wore linen trousers, the material wasn’t the stretchiest, but it was nearly as constricting as leather or a skirt. Her hands could touch the ground easily, and she brought her elbows to her knees. Lani crossed her lanky arms behind her knees, feeling the stretch in the back of her thighs and lower back as she pulled herself in. She couldn’t touch her nose to her knees like she used to, she had to work on that. Lani knew she was more flexible than most, but that didn’t mean she had it easy. Most of her stretched she took to make her bones as loose as possible, somewhat contorting them to achieve the results she wanted. Sighing, Lani straightened her back and stood up, spreading her legs some. She reached down to one ankle, pulling the opposing arm over her head. She did the same for the other side and then swung her arms back and forth, loosening the shoulder joint. Her breathing was barely picking up, and Lani knew she could work harder now. Lani stepped back more, farther into the open grass, and turned so she was facing the bench. Sliding one foot forward, Lani slowly lowered herself into a split. She didn’t go too fast, scared she would reach the ground too quickly and hurt herself.

She was right, her torso hovered off the ground as her muscles complained, arguing that they couldn’t pull that far. A grin lit up her face as Lani found that she was close to the ground, if she kept at it, she could finally be able to finish the split. Cocking her hips to the side, Lani fell out of the split, somewhat painfully. I really need to learn to get up out of those. Lani thought to herself as she pulled her feet in to hop up. She did another split, her right foot forward this time. As Lani held the position, letting her muscles get used to the stretch, she looked down. If I put my hands here … She resting a hand on the grass on each side of her torso fingers arched. I can push myself up enough to bend my knees … Lani applied pressure, straightening her elbows and bringing the strain off her hips. She tucked her back leg in, and found herself almost in a sitting positions. She wobbled before her knee let go, making her fall to the side some and catch herself. Lani wasn’t too fond of the stretch to try it again. At least she didn’t hurt herself coming out of the second split.

Her breaths were coming in a bit faster now, and she took a big one to try and even them out. Motivation mixed with her blood and pumped through her veins, building confidence. Her joints had been lubricated now, expecting twists and pressure, her knees and elbows started on the familiar rubbery sensation that would let her go for a while. Separating her feet slightly, Lani began bending her back behind her. Her abdominal muscles strained in protest, but Lani was sure she could do it. Knees bent, she slowly pulled her arms back, preparing to rest them on the ground. The world began to turn upside down, her shirt pulling up slightly at her stomach. Her bending slowed as Lani waiting for the ground, not wanting to jam her hands into it and lose her balance. Focusing on her hands, Lani ignored the fiery protest in her abdomen, as the muscles gave up. She was too far back to straighten herself, and went crashing to the ground. She was closer than she thought and her arms were not prepared to hold her. Her head hit on the ground as her spine crumbled to follow it. Her hand flew to her forehead, rubbing the spot and grimacing. It didn’t actually hurt that bad, but her motivation as beginning to diminish. As she lay, defeated, in the grass, watching the clouds leisurely glide through the sky, Lani felt defeated. She couldn’t even complete a simply bridge. Yes, she hadn’t done anything in a long time, but it was disheartening.

Quett’s second wife was rather big on exercise and the importance of staying healthy. She was the image of a perfectly fit Jamoura and the healthy cooker of the family. Her knowledge didn’t just cover the Jamouran’s physical capabilities though, she helped Lani as well. Lani was born flexible, the motions had never been particularly hard for her lengthy limbs, but she lacked fitness and balance. Important concepts for acrobatics. Quett’s wife, Dela, had worked with her, teaching her about her body and what she could do with it. Dela had also been very active in teaching Lani to climb, making it far easier for her to navigate through the Spires. A ping of longing hit Lani’s heart, which was starting to slow down as she lay there, as she remembered Dela, Quett and the rest of her temporary Jamouran family that she had left.

Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Lani Stranger on May 10th, 2014, 3:18 am

Taking one foot and lying it flat on the grass, Lani pushed her elbows into the ground, propping up her torso up. Hey eyes were level with the bench and she could see her new weapons that had cost nearly an entire University course, strewn across it. She was stretching to try out her new weapon, not dwell on a past she couldn't change. The sudden muscle activity made her knees pop as she stood. Brushing off he behind, she looked at the weapons, placing her hands on her hips. In a quick movement, she swooped for the wooden axe, picking it up with light fingers and giving it to her other hand. She gripped the dense wood in her left hand, eying the practice weapon.

"Toy." Lani spoke aloud to herself, simply. It was like a toy to her. She couldn't take the weapon seriously with it being made out of wood, and not metal. Nor was it as decorative as her spear. Overall, it looked like a toy. Her brain seemed to stand still. Longing for better memories, and the sour emotions that filled her chest from those memories she could not keep down. Anger surged through her arm, a foot fell forward, into a wobbly stance that she used for throwing her daggers. The axe went flying, taking none of her unwarranted anger with it. At the last moment Lani quirked her hand, aiming for the tree. She doubted she would hit it, but a brief image of the wooden axe lodged in the wood sent her brief satisfaction. When the handle of the weapon hit the corner of the tree, clattering into the grass behind it, Lani's shoulders drooped. An almost animal growl fought through her teeth and she stopped her right foot, leaning into it to reach the dagger box. Forcefully flipping the latch up, she slipped a dagger out of the top. The blade was thin and the dagger very light in her right hand. Bringing it up to her ear, Lani let her entire arm go into the movement of throwing the dagger. This time a fragment of stress left her, the blade buried itself deep into the dirt just in front of the tree. She didn't hit her target, not even close, but her throw was straight and the power of the throw was certain. Again Lani stooped, yanking one of the daggers from the box.

This time, Lani changed her feet. With the dagger in her right hand, she put the left foot forward, turning her body to the side ever so slightly. Her arm curled back, keeping the dagger hovering by her ear. Lani let her grip loosed some, pinching the handle between her thumb, index and middle finger. A shaky breathe in was followed by a slow exhale. She could feel the anger difuse. It was irrational anyhow. Lani assured herself, closing her left eye. She focused on a point on the tree. Just at her head height, only a few feet below where the branches started, a knob was. It was the obvious scar of a dead limb, either infected or yanked off at a young age. The knot provided a point for Lani to aim, so aim she did. With a twist of her wrist, she let the dagger fly. It didn't hit the mark, her aim was wobbly without much power put behind it, but the dagger stuck. Just a few inched outside of the fist-sized knot, her dagger lodged itself in the tree.

The little accomplishment sent Lani's fist up, a victory display. With short powerful bounds, Lani trotted to the tree, plucking the dagger from the dirt in front of it. Wiping the blade of excess dirt, Lani examined the one in the tree. It was barely half an inch into the wood, and farther from her target than she would have liked, but she had hit the tree on her first try. Well technically its my second, but my really, its my first real try. Lani brought her fingers up to brush the handle of the dagger, seeing if it would wobble. When it stuck, she wrapped the small handle in her fist and yanked it from the tree. She ran a finger over the small slit it left in the bark, before looking at her dagger. It was unlikely that the blade would be damaged upon first throw, but Lani didn't really want to hurt her new shiny weapons on the first day. Brushing the blade off on her pants as well, even though they didn't need it, Lani stepped behind the tree. Her wooden axe lay on the ground. Lani frowned at it, her mind giving it an emotion of feeling rejection. Grinning to herself and thinking herself silly, Lani switched both daggers to her right hand and picked up the axe with her left one. Back at the bench, Lani carefully slid her daggers back into their place, and turned the axe over in her hand. "Okay. Time to figure out how in the world I am supposed to use you."

Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Lani Stranger on June 2nd, 2014, 1:08 am

It occurred to Lani that she had no idea what she was doing. If she just started whacking the tree, then she wouldn't really be fighting with the axe, just chopping a tree. Which would ultimately wear my toy down ... Again Lani referred to the practice axe as a toy as she switched hands. With little thought put into the action, Lani swung it into the air in front of her. She thought about it for a second, thinking about how she was going to go about this. She wanted to know how to use this weapon, she wanted to master the weapon. Who am I kidding? I just want to be a badass. Lani furrowed her brows thinking about how she was going to practice and actually make progress.

A thought floated to her brain, one that seemed perfectly reasonable. When she was learning to write she had always been told that all she needed to do was practice the letters. She didn't need to write actual words or sentences, but if she practiced writing the letters long enough, her muscles would remember it. Looking down at her hands, she squeezed the handle of the axe. She watched her fingers turn white then she followed her wrist down towards her forwarm, eyeing the muscle that arched under her skin. Standing there silently, Lani put two and two together. Learning a weapon would be just like learning to write. She just needed to do the motions. A grin creeped across her face as Lani felt a sliver of pride settle in her stomach. She was almost certain she was right. She could do this.

Lani took two long strides back from the tree, facing the open air of the grassy center of the courtyard, trying to envision a person standing before her. What was the simplest move that she could do? She clutched the axe in both hands, raising it above her head, intently staring into the blank space. She saw a faceless person standing before her, a dummy, waiting to be sliced with her axe. Lani likely looked incredibly silly, standing there judging how to swing with the most power, but she was too concentrated on understanding this new weapon to really care what an onlooker would think. Her muscles tightened and Lani slammed the axe down, bending her elbows as the weapon descended. The move was meant to open a gash on her invisible opponents shoulder. Lani had no way of judging accuracy, she could only guess at this point, but she could tell if she put power into her swing or not. Maybe she would have to find a dummy soon.

Again, Lani raised her axe above her head, visualized the invisible opponent and swung. And Again. And Again. It was barely five chimes before Lani's arms grew tired and her swings used less force. Her ribs expanded, letting her take in a filling breathe and she let it out slowly. Her relaxed legs brought her over to the bench where rubbery arms placed the axe down before she plopped onto the wood. She let her head tilt back, heavy breathes beginning to slow. Lani realized that she had no way of knowing whether she was doing a good job or not. She knew that practicing the motion would get her used to it, that was the basis of learning anything, what she didn't know was what she was doing. She had no direction and she would need to make it up as she went, but that didn't seem like too bad of an idea. That was how you learned right? Making mistakes, practicing until you think you are perfect? Lani continued to think about her new idea of not only pursuing scholarly subjects but hands-on ones as well. But first she would need equipment ... maybe she could get her hands on a practicing dummy ...

NaJu Word Count: 651

Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Aoren on June 24th, 2014, 10:31 pm

Riddled With Rewards
Lani

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Socialization + 3 EXP
Observation + 3 EXP
Bartering +1 EXP
Weapon: Dagger +2 EXP
Acrobatics +2 EXP
Weapon: Axe +2 EXP

Lores
Lore Earned
Boomerang: Throw It, It Comes Back
Spear: Requires Balance And Power
Dagger: Timing A Throw
Dagger: Aligning To A Target
Axe: Whack It Until It Dies!
Axe: Downward Swipe
Axe: Two-Hand Grip
Acrobatics: The Splits
Acrobatics: Warm-Up Stretches

Notes :
If you have comments, questions or concerns please approach me at your earliest convenience. Don't forget to edit/delete your request in the request thread!
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)