[Sultros Blades] The Labor of Hands {Asher}

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Hadyn Skellig on April 25th, 2014, 4:06 am

12th of Spring
Midday
514 AV

"Take care how y'set the enamel," Hadyn murmured as she observed the apprentice's work from the other side of the table. The lad sat hunkered over the worn wood holding the hilt of a dagger still as the other hand tried to fill the tiny grooves with colored glass paste. Sweat coated his forehead, brows knit as he moved his quivering fingers along the implement holding the paste. With a frustrated groan he raised his eyes to the weaponsmith. Meeting his gaze the woman offered a smile.

"You needn't shake so," she stated with a tilt of her head, the dark braid falling over her shoulder. "This is far easier than engraving. Give it here."

She extended a hand to the boy across the table and he slowly deposited the small weapon in her palm before pushing the tin hold the colored paste. Bidding him with a nod to join her on the other side the woman held the hilt loosely between her fingers, tilting the dagger until the grooves hit the light. Filling the implement with paste she then began filling the tiny crevices with the substance, speaking as she worked.

"Liable ruin your back, hunchin' over like that, Ben." Hadyn paused to show him how she'd positioned her opposite hand before relinquishing control. As easy as it would be for her to finish the job it was his task and his lesson. With an encouraging smile the brunette vacated the seat so he might sit nearer to the flames as they danced in the forge at his side. Standing the weaponsmith dusted the slim trousers of invisible dirt before readjusting the soft leather vest over its thin grey tunic. It was empty this afternoon save for her and the apprentice. She was only mildly envious of her coworkers' day off. Hadyn was content to work on her projects and assist Ben as he needed. Though from the looks of it he'd be needing her less and less.

Crossing the floor to her own work bench the brown eyed woman stared at the two swords waiting to be finished. Neither was time consuming but they'd been sitting there for some time. Selecting the smaller of the two she picked up the whet stone as well and sat herself on a nearby stool, prepared to finish this blade and knock it off her list. The sound of footsteps in the smithy, however, roused her attention, dark eyes rising from the blade to find the owner of falling feet.

Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Words: 455862
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Asher Nightrunner on May 12th, 2014, 4:33 am

The city was a burst with life, noise field the streets of the city. Though Asher was used to the loud voices of his own people this was something new entirely, this seemed to be more of a busyness then the normal cheerful celebration and banter of his home. He had just arrived to the city this very day, directed to the Travelers Row for his stay. He was told by the innkeeper that it was best to leave his strider in the stables if he was planning on exploring the stables today. Though it hurt his heart he decide that for today at least it would be best. He pushed through the crowds, his eyes darting around taking in his surroundings. The city felt safe to him, but also like he was locked in. He began missing the freedom of his home, the ability to jump upon Karne and ride. He shook his head, he left to explore the world and strengthen his craft. He wanted to make his family proud. Along his journey in the city he had pasted by many little shops. He had come to a passage, his ears hard perked up to the sound of something being brushed against metal. He followed the sound, his pace quicken as it grew louder. He heard the faint sound of running water as he came upon an open door. He stepped inside, he saw works of metal. Dagger, and knifes of the like. His eyes danced along the well made blades. His eyes fell upon a bright counter in the darker back half of the room. He stepped towards it curious to see if there was anyone, or anything behind it. His gaze was met by that of a woman, one who was older then him.

His hands moved in a way that might look awkward to someone who is not a Drykas, he greeted her in his native way. Before his lips moved and "Hello" rolled off of his tongue. He stood before her, proud and lost though he would never admit that he was lost. "What is this place?" he asked, his hands fumbled a bit as he tried to refrain from talking in his native way. He wanted to seem like someone who knew what he was doing in this city, and not that of a lost pup. She was attractive, much like the women of his home. But there was something about her that seemed different, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. He shook it out of his mind as he waited for her answer, his mind drifted back to Karne. A small frown spread on his lips. He took in a small breath before relaxing. He would return to his horse after this, he promised himself. He could hear the faint crackling of a fire, which reminded of his home once again and again his smile reappeared across his lips, though it was more of a smirk then anything else. His eyes glanced back to the dagger he saw earlier, he wondered if she had made them herself before he turned his head back to her, meeting her dark gaze.
Asher Nightrunner
Player

Words: 21675
Joined roleplay: May 11th, 2014, 1:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Hadyn Skellig on May 14th, 2014, 10:54 pm

Brown eyes caught sight of a young man approaching, hesitant enough to suggest he was unfamiliar with his surroundings. Stepping further into view Hadyn could see he was her junior by several years though she noted he was rather attractive. A dark brow rose as the young man began salutations with a flourish of his hands before following it with spoken words. She smiled in response with a small cant of her head as she set the whetstone down again.

"Welcome,"
she replied, standing and placing the unfinished sword on the table. "You are in Sultros Blades, weapon smithy of Syliras."

The brunette studied the fellow for a moment. She wasn't sure if he intended to commission a weapon but she remained polite all the same. He carried himself in a strong, prideful way. If she was not mistaken he bore the presence of the grassland natives, many of whom were met with derision in the city for the sins of their countrymen. Their brief exchange caught Ben's attention, the lad's head raising from his labors to watch. He too noticed the foreigner, curiosity piquing in his expression. Tilting her head Hadyn decided to speak again, hoping to put her guest at ease.

"Are you in need of a weapon? or are y'just makin' yourself familiar with the city?"

Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Asher Nightrunner on May 14th, 2014, 11:16 pm

Sultros blades, what a curious name he though as the woman spoke. He could feel her eyes studying him for a moment, but paid no mind to it as a threat. He watched as she slightly tilted her head before speaking. A weapon. I have my bow, but do I need another? Maybe a blade would do me well. He paused for a moment, before nodding. He felt another pair of eyes on him, though he focused on the woman. "Both" he said abruptly, "I could use a dagger" he added. His words were rough as he tried to speak what he was thinking, "A blade to kill an animal, something that I can use along side a bow". He hoped she understood, wondering if she had ever traveled outside of the city. Hunted for her own food or if she just bought it from others. Has she ever actually experienced the thrill of that first kill of a hunt? "How long have you lived here?" he asked. "I just arrived recently, trying to learn the city" he said. He flashed a smile. He wondered what weapon crafting was like, did it share the same skills that leatherworking did? Does pride fill her with every well crafted blade or maybe from the praise of her customers? He rested back on his heels. He turned his head towards Ben. Giving him a small nod, before turning back towards Hadyn. "The names Asher" he said, "May I ask for yours?"
Asher Nightrunner
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Hadyn Skellig on May 26th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Dark straight brows rose as the man seemed to consider her questions before answering in a halting manner. Though he spoke well enough it was clear to both Hadyn and the apprentice this fellow was not entirely comfortable with the common tongue. With a smile and a cant of her head the brunette indicated with an extended hand to the display case to his immediate left. Therein sat a collection of daggers and knives.

"Are y'looking for throwin' knives or a blade that'll deliver a final blow?" she asked, stepping closer to him, her gaze on the weapons encased in glass. She nodded to one near his right. "The kopis is a popular choice for removin' meat from bone."

Glancing up at him the brunette tossed him a smile as he inquired after her habitation in the city. New to Syliras. A brow rose as she considered this information. He didn't seem like the type to linger in an enclosed city for long. His manner and accent was familiar though she couldn't place it off the top of her head. But he definitely did not fit the mold of a city-dweller.

"Since the day I was born," she answered with a grin. "I'm Hadyn. What brings you to the City of Peace, Asher?"

Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Asher Nightrunner on May 28th, 2014, 2:31 am

"The kopis sounds good" he said, he had forgotten to grab a skinning knife when he had left his home. She smiled at him, a warm smile that made him feel welcome in this strange city. She had been here since she was born? Asher sighed, remembering his home. "The city of Peace" he said curiously. He had yet to hear the walled city called that yet.

"I've come to hone my craft. I am a leather worker, I felt that I could learn a lot in a big city like Syliras." he said looking back down at the blades for a moment before returning to meet her gaze. "How ever, I haven't located a teacher." he said slightly embarrassed. "You wouldn't happen to know anyone?" he asked hopefully. This trip might turn into more then he first thought. "I haven't been here long. But I am a good student" he said with a smile.

"I am young, but I know how to use my hands" he said. His cloak fell off as he raised his hands quickly as to prove a point. His windmarks were in plain sight, before the woman. He reached down and picked the cloak back up. He threw it over her shoulder. A bit of worry spread across his face, it wasn't unknown that some of the people in Syliras didn't like the Drykas for past events. His eyes turned away from hers, was he ashamed of his homeland or just worried what she would think? She may call for the knights or just try to kill him herself. "I mean you no harm" he said.
Asher Nightrunner
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Hadyn Skellig on May 31st, 2014, 11:19 pm

"Leather, eh?" Hadyn cast a glance over her shoulder at Ben who was unable to maintain steady concentration on his work, green eyes flicking up at their guest before dutifully returning to the task at hand. Returning her gaze to Asher the brunette smiled. "Nabinu would be the chap you'll need to find. Has his shop, All Things Leather, just south along this lane. You'll smell it before y'see it, I reckon."

He displayed the tools of his craft, his hands appearing strong and well accustomed to work. As his cloak passed along the length of his arm Hadyn caught sight of markings that were only vaguely familiar, as if pulled from the memory of a tale. Tilting her head as she realized she was staring the brunette offered him a disarming smile. Although she was fairly certain she knew the origin of those marks it wasn't any of her business to go prying into the lives of her customers. But he was quick to address the matter.

Drykas. So it was. Ben made a movement suggesting he wasn't paying attention to his work but Hadyn ignored him. With a grin the weaponsmith shook her head to brush off Asher's immediate concern, hoping to put him at ease. She didn't much care what her patrons were as long as they paid for their weapons. And as far as the city housing Drykas Hadyn didn't see the point in getting riled up. Provided the Drykas minded themselves and weren't causing a row she saw no reason to be prejudiced against an entire group based on the actions of a few. Seemed like a waste of time.

"No worries, friend," she replied raising a hand to calm him. "I don't expect y'mean me any harm. Now let's talk about this kopis, hm? any particular kind of iron? embellishments an' the like? or strictly functional. A standard kopis'll run you four gold. That alright?"

Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets