Closed A Different Kind of Fishing (Dust)

Nothing like practicing a rusty skill with a new friend

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

A Different Kind of Fishing (Dust)

Postby Rinya on November 22nd, 2013, 4:37 am

Day 25, Season Summer, 513 AV

Rinya honestly had to think about it for a long moment. How would she manage to pick up a crab without getting her feathers snagged in the pinchers? Grabbing the pinchers would be a difficult task in itself. She could always try to latch onto the critter from behind first, but the little legs of the crab were not made for carrying. Shrugging slightly, Rinya pursed her lips. ”Well I guess it would depend on how squirmy it was. I think the pinchers are quite sturdy though.” Rinya replied with a sheepish grin. She had no way of knowing—perhaps it was worth a try just for the hai of it.

Rinya cocked her head to the side when Dust mentioned the Sanctuary. She had heard whispers among the people of Riverfall, but she was never able to glean anything from them. ”I’ve heard of it, but uhh… not a whole lot about it. I mean… it has something to do with animals?” Rinya raised a brow. ”I only just arrived in Riverfall myself. Not even ten days ago. I’m still trying to get a feel for the city… especially their view of us.” She hummed lightly as she pulled several more oysters off the rocks and tossed them onto the sand behind them. The fact Kelvics were pets wasn’t entirely new to her due to her father, but Syliras itself never viewed her as anything but her own person.

Rinya glanced behind her as Dust pointed out they probably had more than enough oysters. ”Yeah that should be plenty. We’ll want to get started anyway if we want to beat the incoming tide. I’m not sure how much longer it will be low.” Shifting across the top of the rock to hold a better balance, Rinya grinned slightly before shrugging at Dust. ”Maybe if we have time I’ll give the crab experiment a try too.” With a steady breath, Rinya let the change come across her body. She much rather enjoyed the feeling of wings and feathers to hands and skin.

Streching out her wings, careful to avoid Dust, Rinya pushed off the rock with a gentle beat of her wings and sailed the short distance between them and their small but substantial pile of Oysters. She knew that they wouldn’t be able to pick up too many of them at a time, but she hoped with maybe three or four trips, they could break them all—if they wanted to even do that many.
Rinya
Socially Awkward Sea Hawk

Words: 658547
Joined roleplay: June 30th, 2013, 1:33 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Dust on November 28th, 2013, 1:03 pm

"Animals and Kelvics," Dust supplied. "Kavala keeps horses and dogs and hawks, and she does medicine stuff for other people's animals, and for Kelvics if they need it. She welcomes Kelvics if they need a place to stay, too -- you just help out with stuff. I help Chalce with the mews and the birds," she added, stopping in her prying to rub at where the salt and shell-edges had irritated her skin. Nothing serious, but it definitely wasn't fun to pull the shellfish off anymore.

Fortunately, Rinya agreed with her assessment of enough. The other Kelvic shifted to osprey and flew back to shore; Dust followed suit, realizing only when she wasn't braced against the rock anymore just how uncomfortable the stone had been. Her feathers were damp now, the raven noticed as she launched herself from the boulder; but she didn't need to do any fancy flying anyway, so that didn't pose a real concern.

Keeping out of the worst of the spray from the waves, Dust glided down to the sand near one of the thrown oysters. She tipped her head and studied it for a moment, along with the rest of their scattered gleanings; most were around three inches long, and a bit bigger around than the sort of branches she liked to perch on. She quickly decided not to be greedy, and focus on carrying one at a time -- at least for starting with. It took a few tries for Dust to find a grip on the shell which she quite liked, at which point the raven launched herself from the sand and flew up in the direction of the cliff behind; there were more rocks and less sand to be had at its base. She picked out a boulder with a large top, where she wouldn't be trying to drop it on a point; flew up another few feet for extra height; and let the mollusk drop.

It struck the rock with a very loud crack, one which echoed off the cliff wall. The oyster then rolled down the side and plopped on the sand; Dust watched its progress, and only when it had come to a stop did she dive down after it. Landing, the raven examined the shell, rolling it with nudges of her beak until she found the spiderweb of cracks created by the impact. Chortling with glee at her success, Dust took it up again and fluttered away from the rock, leaving Rinya ample room to drop another while she picked hers apart to get at the tasty flesh within.
Dust
Player

Words: 160562
Joined roleplay: October 21st, 2012, 7:31 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Kel Tempest on May 20th, 2014, 9:25 pm

Rinya :
Skills

• Observation +1
  • Socialization +4

Lores

• Boredom Is Not Easily Cured
  • Dust: White Raven Kelvic
  • Dust: Living At The Sanctuary
  • Starfish: Not The Most Appetizing Looking Of Meals
  • Sanctuary: Home of Animals and Kelvics
  • Sanctuary: Owned by Kavala

Loot

• N/A

Note: Happy Birthday! (ish) Your PC is 4 years of age so if you could change that in your CS that would be awesome! Thanks!

Dust :
Skills

• Observation +3
  • Socialization +5
  • Foraging +3

Lores

• Oysters: One Good Crack Is All It Takes
  • Troublesome Oysters Taste The Best
  • Rinya: Naked As The Day She Was Born
  • Rinya: Osprey Kelvic
  • Rinya: New Arrival In Riverfall

Loot

• N/A

Notes: If you could note in your CS that you had no Winter Threads in 513 AV, it will make it easier for future graders to see why you have no Winter Expenses. Also, seeing as it is Spring of 514 AV, your PC is now 7 years of age so make sure to change that as well. Thanks!

Notes :
Great thread guys! I was cracking up when I realized most of their conversation was about food. Anyways, well done, this was my first graded thread so go easy on me if you think I did something wrong. Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments you may have!

Kel Tempest
Alleged Criminal // Racketeer

Words: 268903
Joined roleplay: February 14th, 2014, 8:50 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Previous