It wasn't me! [Kelp Bar]

Black Onyx and Tyr get into trouble

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

It wasn't me! [Kelp Bar]

Postby Tyrion Moontide on June 2nd, 2014, 11:40 am

2nd of Summer 514 A.V.

The salt air was a balm to Tyr's ruffled nerves, the scent of the ocean wafting up on the breeze to meet him like a long lost lover. It was that last little bit of strength he needed to propel himself forward into the common room of the Kelp Bar, aptly named considering the immediate smell of seaweed and fish that greeted the Svefra the moment he opened the door. With his fiddle and bow tucked securely under one arm he strode in, an easy, slightly crooked, smile upon his face. He needed to make a good impression after all.

"Oi Ben, stop that racket yer louts is causin, some people want tae drink in peace!"

The place was lively, that much Tyr could say for it. The woman behind the bar was clearly the owner, and the lot he was yelling at were a group of drunken sailors, arm in arm and singing a bawdy tune. Singing it quite badly at that. A small chuckle escaped his lips as he watched their antics, right up until a mug went flying though the air to clunk against one of their heads. The barkeep had aparently had enough, and soon the commotion died down. Tyrion almost turned himself around and walked out then, too intimidated by the old woman to speak properly, but luckily the choice was taken out of his hands.

"You there! Whats it you be wantin eh? A kelp beer I would assume. Its the only thing we serve 'ere anyhow." The woman was old, but seemed to be built just as sturdily as some of the older buildings the young Svefra had marveled at upon his first sight of the city. Sparce though she was Tyr could see a certain strength to her cast, and a hint of the beauty that likely once was. Her steely gaze stopped him in his tracks and made his confidence shiver, but only for a moment.

He assumed his most charming smile and nodded to the fiddle in his arms," I was hoping I could play a while 'an see what I could make, If ya don't mind that is." He smiled at her again and shook out his hair, hoping his youthful charms would sway her. They didn't.

"Why would I want a brat like you making noise in my bar when I just got those louts to quiet down? Buy a drink or be off with ya." She waved her hand dismissively, using the unimaginably dirty rag she had, but recently, been using to wipe down the bar to wave at the door.

A frown tugged at the corneres of Tyr's mouth as she spoke, and he let it wipe away his smile. Instead he put one hand on the bar and leaned forward, looking the older woman in the eye," How bout this then, I'll sing and see if they give me a few copper for the entertainment. As I'm doin so, mayhaps the sound of an actual musician brings in a few extra louts off the docks to enjoy a good drink? I may not be the best, but I could at least manage that... Whadya say?"

In truth he was nowhere near as confident in himself as he let on, his usual easy demeanor completely shaken by his first real day in this port city of Zeltiva. Szefra were not uncommon here, in fact there were many in and around the port, but they were not members of his own pod, and due to his inexperience even they had him balked with the sheer unfamiliarity of their faces. It had become easier, when he dove into the streets, as the myriad of faces had begun to blend together, so many that the young bard could not logically keep up with them . Only now that he was standing in there, actually asking for the chance to play in front of this crowd of strangers, did it hit him that he would be doing this for the first time.

The bartender gave him a dark look, her face showing a hint of suspicion, but soon the possibility of extra coin forced her to give in. She turned and spat, then stretched out a hand," Yae better be able tae get me a few extra coustomers boy. Elsewise I'll be running you out with more 'n a few welts, ya hear?"

Tyr sighed in mild relief his smile, at least, returning in full force," Aye ma'am. You won't be dissapointed. I'll entertain as best I can." With the owners permission, all he need do is play and hope for the best.
Tyrion Moontide
Maker of beautiful music

Words: 20350
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2014, 3:19 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

It wasn't me! [Kelp Bar]

Postby Black Onyx on June 2nd, 2014, 1:27 pm

On this particular night, Black had decided to see what coin she could pull from the pockets of those at the Kelp Bar. Some nights one could be lucky and other nights one might be able to find themselves kicked out onto the street on their arses. You just had to be good enough and quick enough, as well as remember those that you had already pick-pocketed.

The young woman, was situated in the very back corner of the bar, the hood of her black cloak, pulled tightly around her facial features to avoid being spotted and recognized by the old woman too early.

She hadn't started pick-pocketing anyone just yet, why? Because the crowd, while some what drunk, was not distracted enough for her to not go un-noticed should she begin right at this second. A brawl or something entertaining would have to distract them for her to even make an attempt at snatching a purse.

Her brown gaze drifted to view the roof of the building as she just listened to the room of the bar, a sigh settling upon her lips. This was the part where the young woman had to try and exercise patience, something that wasn't her strong suit at times.

However, as she listened to the old woman begin to talk to what seemed to be a stranger, her brown hues drifted from their view of the roof, to peer through the crowd to spot a man with blonde dreadlocks and a scruffy look. Maybe he was someone that traveled the seas? Angling her head to the right, she watched as the male seem to lock horns in a verbal debate with the old woman.

Curiosity got the better of her and slowly she pushed forwards from her position by the corner and slowly began to make her way through the crowd, edging closer to get a better view of the stranger.

What she couldn't see from her original post from before, she could definitely see now as she slipped onto a stool by the bar, making sure to keep her hood down low, as she gazed at the stranger.

He had some odd thing tucked underneath his arm, it was not something she saw on a daily basis anyway. Maybe that might be because she didn't linger too often in the bars or because her lack of education. Whatever it was she didn't let it get to her, for she had a feeling that this bar might just get interesting.
Last edited by Black Onyx on September 16th, 2014, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image Image
Active Threads: 3/5
Black Onyx
Sometimes, our scars define us

Words: 175802
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2014, 11:49 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

It wasn't me! [Kelp Bar]

Postby Tyrion Moontide on June 2nd, 2014, 2:40 pm

The bar was still rather loud, and the locals were eyeing him with more than a little interest. Obviously this was the kind of place where strangers were noticed, and considering the fiddle underneath his arm Tyr was likely getting a little more than attention that was the usual. Still, he swallowed the small amount of trepidation he felt at their gazes and looked around. I'f he was going to do this he wanted to do it right, and to do that he needed a stage of sorts. Something to get him high enough to be seen by the crowd...

Eventually he noticed an empty table back against the far wall, and moved towards it, nodding and smiling as he moved through the patrons. When he arrived he climbed on top, and stamped his feet a few times. It garnered the attention of a few of the patrons but most ignored him, preferring the attention of their friends or that of the rather rank smelling concoction that many were drinking. That, he was used to. Often when he played for his family it would take a little bit of effort to gather everyone's attention, and he knew just how to do it.

After a quick inspection of the strings and a quick tuning, he raised the fiddle to his shoulder and tucked it neatly underneath his chin. And began to play. His bow slid across the strings with a resounding twang, and soon the whole bar was looking at him. Some seemed intrigued, some annoyed, but all were soon paying attention. He smiled down at them and began to play, a slow easy melody to a song that he had heard was popular with common folk.

NoteThis is a song/ditty that I wrote for another character that was a bard. Not sure if I ever used it in posts though. Just a disclaimer that yeah, this is mine lol.

"Waking every morning, he slaves away the day
He watches the strong and mighty, sees them give their lives away
With heart of hearts he watches life march by
He watches all their splendor."

As his voice joined in, Tyr noticed that many looked a little more keen, as his voice was a fair bit better than his playing. Not that it was great by any measure, unschooled as it was, but he was still better than the drunk and his friends who had been singing when Tyrion had first arrived. A few, likely those who recognized the song well, smiled as he continued.

"The lives that live, each moment
A day upon a day
Those that ride upon their steeds
Made of war and battle"

Some had begun to sing along, their drunken voices adding to his and making an awful clamor, but Tyr's smile was genuine and infectious, and soon he saw smiles on several of the patrons faces. A few stood and clapped, a few slammed their mugs along. And Tyr played on.

"And as he stands, his labors done
He wonders at their fortune
For blood and bone
May dull not hone
But its better than muck and gravel"

As the last line of the song faded away there were a few clapping and whistling, and that was all Tyr had been after. He smiled and bowed, letting himself drop down to a sitting position on the table to talk with some of the men. He got a few compliments, and a few even tossed him a coin or two. When offered a drink he turned them down... repeatedly, but the jokes and cajoling eventually got him to take a swig.

The taste was awful, and quickly set him to coughing, but it was beer, and it was strong. He took another swig for courage and stood back up, ready to play another song...

Lyrics together"Waking every morning, he slaves away the day
He watches the strong and mighty, sees them give their lives away
With heart of hearts he watches life march by
He watches all their splendor

The lives that live, each moment
A day upon a day
Those that ride upon their steeds
Made of war and battle

And as he stands, his labors done
He wonders at their fortune
For blood and bone
May dull not hone
But its better than muck and gravel"
Tyrion Moontide
Maker of beautiful music

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

It wasn't me! [Kelp Bar]

Postby Black Onyx on June 2nd, 2014, 3:15 pm

Just as Black had predicted, it did indeed get interesting, even the old woman was too preoccupied watching as the strange man made his way through the crowd, the odd thing still tucked securely under his arm. She didn't think anyone could steal that without bringing attention to themselves.

Watching the male's movements she traced him through the crowd to the back of the room where an empty table was. Watching as he climbed on top of it. Already he was gaining some of the people's attention and slowly she slipped off of the bar stool that she had been seated upon, to mingle in with the crowd. Perhaps, this stranger might just provide the distraction that she had needed the whole night.

After the man did his odd little thing with the odd looking item he had, her brown hues watched as he slid something across the item, making a twang sound that caught the attention of most of the people in the room. A smirk slipped upon her lips, oh yes, this was the moment she had been waiting for, this was indeed the distraction and excitement filled her entire being.

As the stranger began to sing, she was a little shocked that he could sing even a little bit, but she had to remind herself that she had a job to do and that, was to pick pockets. While some of the drunks began to sing and dance, she pushed her form into the fray.

She bumped into one drunk man, and her greedy fingers snatched up the purse hanging from his waist belt and continued on, not pausing to look back. Chances are he was too drunk to have noticed especially seeing as he had proceeded to stumble into another man, spilling his drink all over the floor. Quickly she pocketed the stolen purse and pressed into the crowd, blending back into them once again.

However, she seemed to have been too slow as the song slowed to the end and soon everyone was clapping and cheering for this male. Black had to admit, he didn't do too bad, she just hoped that she was quicker next time.

Although, luck seemed to have won out and some darn drunk, knocked her over just as it seemed the stranger was just about going to get back up onto the table. As she stumbled into another person, the hood of her cloak was knocked off of her head, her black hair tumbling out around her shoulders and down her back, a curse upon her lips.

"Hey!" One man cried out as a firm hand landed upon her shoulder, "Isn't this one of the common rats from around here? Must be working with that stranger!" And that was all it took for hell to break loose.
Last edited by Black Onyx on September 16th, 2014, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image Image
Black Onyx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

It wasn't me! [Kelp Bar]

Postby Tyrion Moontide on June 3rd, 2014, 7:06 am

"Huh?"

With the extremely alcoholic beverage that Tyrion had just indulged in, the situation did not entirely register to him. He had barely had enough time to climb back up onto the table for a second round of song before he spotted someone in a flowing cloak, their face hooded, slinking through the crowd. After a moment though, one of the many drunken patrons bumped her to dislodge her hood... and then all hell broke loose.

One of the sailors seemed to have recognized her, and called her a common rat... a thief perhaps? And considering the near immediate reaction of the other patrons, she had likely plied her trade here before. The jovial nature of the bar turned sour in an instant, those men who had just been smiling and laughing with him now turned hostile eyes on him. He needed to diffuse the situation quick.

"I assure you lads, I have no inklin..." Before he could even get the words out however, one man was already swiping at Tyr's legs, planted within convenient reach as they were. With a surprised yelp he jumped, his feet barely making it above the mans arm as it swished by underneath him. The Svefra lad came down hard, missing the landing and instead landing on his arse, his feet dangling over the side. The drunk who had taken a swipe at him was in front of him, arms wide and smiling a vicious smile," My good man, I ask that..." No chance of this one listening to a word he said. The burly sailor charged forward, likely planning to tackle him into the wall...

Tyr lifted his booted foot and the poor drunk charged face first into the sole, and crashed to the ground in a lump. With a shake of his head the musician got up, rubbing his sore rump and looking around dumbfounded. The bar had fallen into total chaos, the drunken rabble going bad at the first chance they got. Now people were swinging indiscriminately, and a whole brawl had started. A shrug was all he could muster in way of reaction...

"Well... This could be fun too right?" Or so he thought. That idea quickly dispersed when a chair went sailing past his head to shatter upon the near wall with a resounding crash. This was, most certainly, not his cup of tea. After a moment of gathering the small bit of money he had made, and collecting his instrument he waded into the press of people. Packed so tightly in the small bar, few were able to notice the Svefra as he slipped through them, though the few that did often sent a fist or foot his way. A bloody nose and a few bruises were far better than the beating he would get if this angry mob got a hold of him for real though, so he pressed on.

Eventually he came to a clear space, a place where the fighting had moved on a bit to other parts of the bar, and was surprised at what he found. The tall, lanky young woman who had started the whole thing was in front of him. His eyes grew wide and he pointed,"YOU!!"
Tyrion Moontide
Maker of beautiful music

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

It wasn't me! [Kelp Bar]

Postby Black Onyx on June 3rd, 2014, 10:45 am

Black had auto-matically felt bad for the stranger as the patrons of the bar decided that he was working with her. Well, she couldn't blame them, hardly a pocket had been picked by her unless they were distracted by some kind of entertainment.

Suddenly, she felt herself duck as a chair suddenly came flying towards her and instead it flew over the top of her to smack into the face of the man holding her shoulder. Not wasting any more time she began to weave through the crowd that had suddenly broke out with fists and furniture.

Welp, she told herself as she darted around drunken men slinging fists into each other's faces, at least there had been one good song before the madness had settled in, the old woman couldn't really complain about that, especially seeing as the stranger did bring in a good crowd while he was able to sing.

Well, she probably could seeing as the old woman would have to replace some furniture. She blinked as another drunk slammed a full tankard into another man's face. Maybe the old woman would also have to replace a few tankards. Eventually she reached a clear spot by a wall as the madness continued around her and a smile slipped onto her lips, ah, just another day in a thief's world.

Just as she was about to turn away and head for the door, she heard that stranger's voice again. "YOU!!" She turned back around so then her brown eyes could view this poor man. Well, it was her presence that maybe might have gotten him barred from singing at the bar ever again.

She knew the guards would be arriving soon and so she rolled her eyes, "Well, come on! I don't have all night, we have to clear out before the wave guards arrive to break it up." She called out before she turned her back to the man, praying he would just follow without argument.

She paused for one brief second before ducking once again, a glass smashing on the wall beside her and her gaze drifted towards the old woman who appeared to be slinging all kinds of curses towards her. Well, so much for not having the owner not noticing her.

Without wasting anymore time, she shoved the last of her way through the crowd of people and stumbled out into the open air, a smile curving her lips as she could finally breath clean air instead of the stank smell of the bar.

Glancing over her shoulder, she didn't see the stranger and her shoulders lifted and fell in a shrug, taking a few steps towards the Denvali Quarter. It was than that she turned back to view the door of the Kelp bar. Maybe she should make sure that the stranger makes it out ok first, before heading off into the night. However, the young woman had a feeling that she might just regret doing that.
Last edited by Black Onyx on September 16th, 2014, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image Image
Black Onyx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

It wasn't me! [Kelp Bar]

Postby Tyrion Moontide on June 3rd, 2014, 5:46 pm

"Well, come on! I don't have all night, we have to clear out before the wave guards arrive to break it up."

Tyr blinked stupidly for a moment, surprised that she didn't try and make excuses for herself. Really, the audacity of the girl was..." THE GUARDS?!" As her words registered themselves in his head Tyr went a little pale, all he had been after was a couple coins and a little fun. As he ducked another flying tankard he couldn't quite decide whether he had gotten his wish or not.

When the girl ducked away and began wading through the crowd he followed, having nothing better to do in this situation. As she sped for the door though, the singer made a small detour heading for the bar. The old woman was throwing curses and... more substantial deterrents at the patrons with nearly as much gusto as the patrons were throwing things at each other, but when she caught site of him her glower turned especially sour. He raised his hands in placation and threw the few coins he had earned singing onto the counter with a small nod.

"I got nothin to do with that brat ma'am. Sorry for yer trouble!" With that done he turned and ran, pushing his way through the last few patrons and out through the door to land on his a hand and his knees, the fiddle and bow tucked securely under the other arm. He sighed in relief and looked up, only to see the woman who had started it all standing there bold as brass. He grimaced and glowered at her, holding the look of annoyance for as long as he could...

Until he busted out in laughter. It was clear and joyful, full of mirth," Girl you know how to stir up a crowd even better than I do." He joked as he stood, brushing dirt from his clothes and wiping a bit of blood from the corner of his mouth where a punch had made him bite his lip," That was my first brawl you know. I'm surprised I didn't come out worse!"

He chuckled and nodded his head in her direction, his lips quirked up in a small smile," The names Tyrion. Nice ta meetcha." He extended a hand in greeting and waited for her to shake it.
Tyrion Moontide
Maker of beautiful music

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

It wasn't me! [Kelp Bar]

Postby Black Onyx on June 3rd, 2014, 7:02 pm

Her waiting apparently paid off as suddenly the stranger burst out the door landing on his hands and knees. She almost laughed at the sight, but thought better of it, some people just didn't like it when you laugh. Apparently, it just rubbed salt into the wounds and they really didn't like that. Her brown hues watched as the stranger seemed to look directly up at her, a glower upon his features.

It was then that he began to laugh and not one of those fake laughs that human sometimes did in order to hide their disgust, this one was a full on laugh of merriment. Well, that was unexpected, she told her self as he spoke. " Girl you know how to stir up a crowd even better than I do." Not that she really intended to stir up a crowd, it's just her kind was known to be the lowest of the low everywhere across the lands.

She couldn't help the smile that soon graced her own lips at his laughter and words while the man stood, brushing the dirt from his clothes and wiping a small amount of blood from the corner of his lips. What had he been doing in there exactly? Throwing punches of his own?

" The names Tyrion. Nice ta meetcha." He was giving her his name? He barely knew her, but then again, he seemed to be in a cheerful mood, did he drink something in there?

Black gave the man another smile, before hesitating, was she really going to shake his hand? Wouldn't he like draw her in only to punch her in the face? He probably could, but his merriment said otherwise. Slowly, she pressed her palm to his, shaking his hand firmly, "The names Black and I'd say the pleasure is all mine, can't say that I've met someone who is pleased to end up in a bar fight."

Providing that he wasn't going to do anything else, she let go of his hand, her head angling towards the Denvali Quarter behind her, "We best be getting moving if we don't want to be suspected of actually being inside that mess in there."

Turning around, she hoped he would follow as she began to walk away from the bar. "I only stir up trouble because they know when I pop my head up, it means I'm lookin' for a few coins." She paused in her speech as she began to inspect the area around them making sure that no one was watching them pass by. "I suppose I kinda owe ya for what just happened in there."
Last edited by Black Onyx on September 16th, 2014, 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image Image
Black Onyx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

It wasn't me! [Kelp Bar]

Postby Tyrion Moontide on June 3rd, 2014, 9:03 pm

Tyr shook her hand vigorously, surprised at the strength of her grip. For such a skinny girl she was strong, and as he saw back in the bar, quite fast. And despite the generally dirty and disheveled look of her, her smile was quite pretty. He couldn't help but grin as she gave him her name and introduction.

"Well, can't say I'm happy that it started, but I was looking for some fun on ma first day in a real city... Think I should be more careful what I wish for, eh?" He turned a bit and spat out some of the blood that had accumulated and laughed," Just glad ma fiddle came out of it alright." The singer watched as she gestured over her shoulder.

"We best be getting moving if we don't want to be suspected of actually being inside that mess in there."

At that Tyr became a little uneasy, and took a quick look around. So far he didn't see anyone that might look like a guard, but the sound of fighting was still coming from the bar behind him and it was sure to draw a few sooner or later. Being caught up in that, he most certainly did not want. From what he'd heard Svefra were mistrusted as is, and considering that he actually was, in some small way, involved in the start of the brawl he felt it best to be gone. Quickly.

So it was that when Black turned around and began to walk into the crowded streets, Tyr was not far behind. As they walked he listened to her talk, all the while looking at the strange spectacle of so many different people all packed together and seeming to have little care for the fact that there were so many nearby.

"I only stir up trouble because they know when I pop my head up, it means I'm lookin' for a few coins."

The singer chuckled at that and plucked a few strings on his fiddle," Aye, that's what I was there for too. Yer antics put a stop to that though, and I even gave my wages to the barkeep. Figured it might pay for a chair or two, and at least guarantee that she'll let me back in at some point." He smirked," Maybe." As she stopped talking for a bit to check their surroundings he took the chance to survey whatever injuries he might have sustained. A quick once over revealed a few bruises around his ribs and arms, likely from elbows in the press of bodies back at the bar, and the one good hit to his face still stung slightly. He might even have a black eye... The prospect was not pleasant, but if that was all he got he was lucky of it.

"I suppose I kinda owe ya for what just happened in there."

As she spoke up again Tyr actually burst out laughing again, wiping away tears of mirth at the end of the fit," Aye girl, that ya do. While making yer coins ya cost me mine. Well have to find a way to make that up." He grinned at her mischievously before continuing," But for now I'll settle with you showing me the way out of this mess, right? I'd like to avoid a stint in the dungeons if possible."
Tyrion Moontide
Maker of beautiful music

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

It wasn't me! [Kelp Bar]

Postby Black Onyx on June 4th, 2014, 4:23 am

Black couldn't help but smile as he mentioned being careful what you wished for, "Well, to be fair I generally cause bad luck among most people no matter who you are or what you wished for." Her voice had trailed off at the end of her sentence as she paused, her brown hues staring ahead of them for a moment as if she was seeing something in the distance.

Shaking her head, she continued on wards, listening to his words quietly. So the thing he held in his arms was a fiddle? It was an interesting object indeed and she listened as he plucked a few strings. "Truthfully? I've never heard a... Fid-dil?" She frowned at the strange word upon her lips, to her, the way she said it didn't sound right. "I've just never heard it before." She said quietly, being all too reminded that this man, Tyrion must have a better education than herself.

As they came to stand in front of the temple of Laviku, she spun around, making a grand gesture of her hands while giving the man a bow. "Well I am at your service, sir." Giving the male a smirk, she straightened up and turned to the left of the building to walk down a street that would head down pass the university.

"I'm actually just doing a loop around as I'm heading to the docks, I like to go there sometimes. So if there is anywhere specific you want to go to, just let me know and I'll guide you to it." She offered the man a smile, her brown hues taking note of the man's strange figure.

While she hadn't seen the man before and the stranger factor did play into it, she was still curious about him. He was different than a human, but he most definitely looked like one. So what ever it was that made him interesting, she might just find out. Even if she did have to play the tour guide of Zeltiva for a little bit.
Last edited by Black Onyx on September 16th, 2014, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image Image
Black Onyx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next