Placeholder Do As The Birds Do

Wilderness Survival Class No.1

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Do As The Birds Do

Postby Lani Stranger on May 5th, 2014, 8:18 pm

34th of Spring 514AV
Dark eyes scanned the room in front of her. Judging from her previous classes, it wasn’t standing out much. The Pre-Valterrian design on the walls have been preserved and the desks sat in rows facing the front. It wasn’t a very large class at all, which Lani liked better. Students filed into the warm classroom behind her, anticipation in the atmosphere. It was only her third class, the first two had been an introduction lecture and a rundown on what they will be doing during the course. To Lani’s relief, the entire class wasn’t out in the wilderness. There would be instruction in a classroom and they they would go out and apply the skills, testing for their competency. There were a few other students that she saw in her other classes, most likely pursuing the same certificate. Lani let herself slump into her chair in the front of the classroom, the early morning sun that shined through the windows making her want to run back to her bed and sleep the rest of the day. The classroom was warm and with the gently babble of students waiting for their professor, Lani let her eyes fall closed. Her chest sunk into her drowsy mood and her jaw began to slack as she could ignore the babble of the class. All the noise seemed to go away and Lani briefly wondered if it was her or the class. Her thoughts didn’t linger on it though and soon she was in the trees in the Spires, climbing home to Quett and her family.

“Young lady!” A deep voice pulled her out of her peaceful slumber. It was close and though it wasn’t loud, it was intimidating. Lani’s black eyes flew open, not focusing on anything in particular for a second before landing on the stern face of her professor. “If you intend to sleep through this class, you can go home and do so. You’ve already given me your money, I could care less if you attend. Would you like to pay attention now?”

“Y-Yeah. Yes Sir. I’m paying attention.” Lani stuttered her words out, straightening her spine and running a hand through her bangs, sweeping them out of her face.

“Good.” The professor said, turning on his heels to head back to the front of the class. Lani noticed that he wasn’t dressed like the other professors in the University. He wore sturdy boots and leather pants, as if he was ready to go out into the wilds. It seemed fitting, knowing that this class was for wilderness survival, but it seemed odd in the classroom setting. “Now, I’m going to review some things with you today. In about half a chime, I will bring you to the woods and we will work for real. I want you to know the basic signs of what makes a plant poisonous, edible or useful in some other matter. Then I will go over some things that you will need from plants. Keep in mind that I am teaching you for a mountainous environment. You may not be able to use these skills out in the desert or in a swamp.” Lani leaned forward, picking up a charcoal stick, and her book. She wasn’t the best writer, which turned out to be a rather large problem for her in some of her classes. She couldn’t spell very well and she could barely write with a quill. Her saving grace might be that she could read far better than she could write. Lani posed her charcoal stick to take note of what he was saying, she didn’t know if she would be able to remember it all. “In this region, I can tell you right now that finding food is going to be tough. Most of the plant food you find will not taste very good and might not be nutritious. Some pointers to look for are mushrooms, wild onions and potatoes, berries, bark and roots. These will sustain you if you need it, but I would not recommend going into the wilds without at least some sort of sustenance with you, these skills I give you are for last resorts.” Lani paused, what in Dira’s name was sustenance? But before Lani could ask the professor had keep talking.

“Lets start with the pine tree. If all else fails, pine trees are rather resourceful for your survival needs.” The professor turned to his desk. On it was a medium sized log, the trunk of a pine tree. He placed it on the desk, small flecks of dirt and bark jumped from the chunk of wood, littering the desk. As the professor continued talking, he reviewed what they would be scavenging for and what they would be avoiding. Lani listened as intently as she could, writing down a note every once in a while to remember what she was looking for.

NaJu Word Count: 851

PC/NPC Talking -- Common -- Kontinese -- Thoughts
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Words: 697231
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2014, 11:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Do As The Birds Do

Postby Lani Stranger on June 6th, 2014, 1:55 am

Just as the professor said, Lani was done scribbling down half-notes after half a chime. Much to her relief. She didn't particularly mind notes so much, but she couldn't wait to get her hands onto the actual materials. Going on what the professor had said, they would not only be scavenging today but understanding the environment surrounding them. The students needed to be able to understand what was useful to them and what could be dangerous to them when they find themselves out in the wild, forced to survive. Lani thought that one of the funnier things about it was that the professor seemed so grim. Whereas she was actually excited to throw herself out into the wilderness and travel all of Mizahar, he seemed to think that surviving in the wild was one of the last resorts in terms of living. The difference in opinion made the mixed blood begin to think of the human in a bad light. He didn't understand what it was like to adventure and go to knew places. Or maybe he did ... Lani wasn't sure. But she did know that she would have to change her attitude about him, if she wanted to enjoy this course.

"Okay, so we went over what you are looking for, but we didn't do much for what you are not looking for. I know you may think it is important, but you simply shouldn't pick up anything outside of what we discussed. And remember," Lani began to roll her eyes. The rule that followed seemed to be one of the stupidest in Lani's opinion. "Don't do as the birds do." To Lani this seemed stupid. She knew that the professor was only focusing food wise, of course humanoids could not eat everything birds can, just like birds can't eat everything humanoids can. But Lani had been thinking about the quote a little bit more. If you took it in a less literal sense, birds standing for animals in general, you could do what they do. The animals lived and breathed the wild, it was their home. They knew what to do and how to survive. Animals would know where to find water and shelter, how to weave through their habitat and where to find food. Yes, humanoids cannot eat all the food that animals did, but animals couldn't eat all the food that humanoids did. It was fact. It was still a good idea to know what you are looking for and how to survive, but animals seemed to be rather good guides for venturing off into the wild, better guides than any humanoid could offer her.

Again Lani found herself criticizing her teacher. It wasn't a good idea, he knew a lot more than she did in terms of wilderness survival, she knew nothing whereas he taught the whole course. At least she wasn't talking back to him ...

The class began to depart, going off into their own little groups, pairs or simply going by themselves. The instructor said he would be checking up on them, and no one strayed too far from each other. Lani had no idea where to go. As she looked around her she noticed that the grass below her had been trampled rather regularly. The forest that lined the hill just outside of the University if it had been stripped time and again only to be artificially replaced to look as if it was wild. It was rather convincing actually. Lani didn't mind in the least. She actually liked the fact that the course had been set up to challenge her. It would help her focus on things that she needed to focus on and understand more of what she was being taught by the professor.

NaJu Word Count: 624

PC/NPC Talking -- Common -- Kontinese -- Thoughts
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Words: 697231
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2014, 11:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Do As The Birds Do

Postby Ssezzkero on October 8th, 2018, 4:54 pm

LANI
+1 Writing, +1 Wilderness Survival, Pine Bark: Edible
Ssezzkero
Player

Words: 249053
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2014, 4:14 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)