Open His First Rainfall

Riverfall's first summer storm opens Hirem's eyes.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

His First Rainfall

Postby Hirem on June 10th, 2014, 7:56 pm

7th of Summer, 514 AV

The sky was rumbling in the distance.

Dark clouds hung ominously above the city of Riverfall, drowning out what deep blues were usually present in favour of an oily blackness. Though it was only dusk, and the sun's fading rays should still be streaking across the horizon, no such light was found; Riverfall was completely shadowed by the harbinger of Zulrav. A great and terrible groaning could be heard from the Suvan Sea, the first echoes of thunder stretching out, like the limb of some giant creature, over the Akalak city. In the direction of Kenash, small flashes of brilliant fire exploded between the stormy clouds, illuminating the streets for one brief, awesome second. The night was dark and the winds were strong, building their eerie shrieks until they were howling past the domed buildings of Riverfall. The city was behind held captive by a tremendous storm, and only time would tell if it could weather the damage...

At least, that was what Hirem thought of the weather.

Looking about the streets, it was clear to him that the native Rivarians were not nearly as impressed by the storm as he was. True, they sometimes looked fearfully at the sky and searched for cover, but that wasn't entirely caused by this storm's menace - memories of the great Djed Storm had not slipped easily from anyone's minds. Life did not stop in Riverfall simply because the weather was ominous... in fact, many Akalak boys took to the streets because a storm was brewing on the horizon. This was the city of eternal challenge, where one was expected to meet any and all opposition with their head held high and their fists bared, be it Zith, criminals, or even Zulrav himself. As Hirem jogged up the tiers of Riverfall, he passed many Rivarians attempting the same, nodding to him jovially and commenting on the weather. "She's a beast, is she not?" They would cry, laugh, and then continue on their way.

But for the Benshiran, the storm was entirely more spectacular, fascinating, and utterly magnificent. Eyktol, the place of his birth, was no stranger to wild weather, but the desert winds that churned the sands were more horrible and dangerous than the winds that whistled through Cyphrus' plains. Just last season, Hirem had nearly perished in one of the dreaded Hikzu, and he remembered watching with fear as the Djed Storm of two years prior ravaged the Burning Lands. But the weather that beset Riverfall now was altogether more harmless, becoming more of a spectacle than anything else. He had no doubt that people would be hurt tonight, either on the Suvan or in the Sea of Grass, and his prayers were with them - but he could not help but be impressed by the intensity of the storm.

Impressed, and more than a little frightened. Storms had always served as omens of grim fortune in his past, and perhaps tonight would be no different.

Bowing his head from the swirling winds, Hirem stubbornly continued his jog up the tiers of Riverfall, determined to at least finish the run before he sought the comfort of his home. He was almost finished - one more push up the last set of stairs, and he would reach the crown of the city. His legs were aching all over and cried for release, but Hirem was not tempted to give in to their demands. The exercise routine that he had pushed himself into was enjoyable, and the shame that he felt if he abandoned it would be indescribable... therefore, his only option was to run and keep up the pace. Though his body was battered from his constant running, the Benshiran managed to keep his breathing level and the pain in his calves numbed by focusing his thoughts upon storms... both the present storm, and storms past.

Finally, he made it up the last flight of stairs and reached the top tier of Riverfall. Instantly letting out a groan of relief, Hirem continued the run for only a half-chime more, jogging down the nearby street and slowing his pace. When his heart had finally settled comfortably in his chest, the Benshiran adopted a slow walk and released control on his tightly-regulated breath. A sharp spasm of pain from his aching legs quickly interrupted his attempts to clam down. "Hik," he gasped, bending over and grasping his aching knees tightly - realizing that he desperately needed to sit down, Hirem stumbled over to the pathway he had just run up and collapsed onto the top step.

Far above his head, the storm continued to rumble and simmer with anger, the thunder becoming more terrible with every passing chime. Massaging his throbbing legs, the Benshiran glanced upwards and stared into the blackened sky, smiling a tired smile. From this vantage point, the entirety of Riverfall hung just below his feet, escalating farther and farther down until it ended in the tumultuous Suvan Sea. Usually, Hirem had a problem with heights, but tonight the escalated position he held didn't bother him, his attention consumed by the brewing storm. I'll watch for a chime or two... but then I must be getting back to the Kulkukan. My shift at the Rat Hole starts early tomorrow. Settling more comfortably on his seat, the Benshiran propped himself up with an elbow and stared, fascinated, into the tormented sky above.

And then, something strange happened: a drop of water fell upon his sweating belly.

At first, Hirem froze, unsure of what had just occurred. I felt that drop onto me from above... but where had it come from? Deciding that he probably had just imagined the sensation, he dismissed the event as an oddity and strove to ignore it - until another water droplet landed on his brow. And another, on his back. And then two more. And then three more. Realizing that this was no trick of the mind, the Benshiran pushed himself to his feet and stared up at the heavens, as even more water was striking the top of his head. What's happening? He thought, and had no ready answer. Then, all of a sudden, the sky burst apart with thunder and a torrent came down from the clouds, barraging Hirem and making his entire body come alive with sensation. Shocked, he let out a strangled gasp of surprise, his feet stumbling backwards. Gods, what is happening?!

A memory came to him then, an idle memory that surfaced with a sudden, piercing clarity. It was from when he was but a young boy, sitting beside his father at an oasis. In his mind's eye, he could very clearly see his father's leathery face creasing into a smile as his younger self pestered him with questions. I asked him, 'Is the rest of the world like this? Is there a place where you can find water everywhere?' And he told me, 'Yes, Hirem, there is... there are even places where you can find nothing but water! Those are called seas. In fact, there are places where even the heavens are so abundantly filled with water that they sometimes break open from the pressure, and let it all leak onto the earth... that is called rain. Even Eyktol once had rain, long ago... but no longer.'

Rain. He realized with a start. This is called rain.

"This is called rain!" The cry in Shiber would sound unintelligible to nearby Rivarians, but Hirem did not care; it felt as if the entirety of his soul suddenly exploded with joy. Water is raining down from the sky, it is everywhere, it is falling into my open mouth and onto my back, into the sea and onto the ground... it is rain! Laughing in pure delight, the Benshiran threw his arms wide and closed his eyes, basking himself in the chill touch of the rain. Though this cold was far more than his desert-adapted body could handle, causing him to shiver dangerously, he could not muster enough care to shield himself from the storm. I am in the rain! I am in the rain!

Word Count :

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)