Completed Dealing with The Bone Collector [Catastrophe]

With a Myrian captured, Xen seeks a reward...or something like that

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The unassuming den of the Constrictor Dhani, it is truly a pit of snakes. Travelers should take care, because the Dhani are always hungry... [Lore]

Dealing with The Bone Collector [Catastrophe]

Postby Xen on April 25th, 2014, 11:15 pm

Dealing with The Bone Collector

Nessorousslindyls was right; Xen’s mind was filling up with possibilities, strange ones. There were rewards also: both fictional and promising. He scratches the tip of his nose and folds his arms. This was a hard decision to make! Xen didn’t know what he desired, he knew he couldn’t just say power—that would make him look like some kind of lunatic. No, he needed something else, something that would help him…something more profound in measure.

“Making deals with the bone collector without any preparation or thought, probably the most reckless thing I have ever done.” Xen thought

Xen looks downwards, his eyes descending upon a human skull with some inscriptions on it. The designs also, they were different from the writings Xen was familiar with, so foreign and eldritch. He picks up the skull and places a thumb along its surface. He felt the deep and unerring carvings underneath his thumb and feel in love with the artwork. He began to wonder what these designs were—did they have magical properties and would he be able to do the same. Xen’s mind began to fill with thoughts of magic, magic and possibilities.

“Wait…”

Xen eyes were filled with fascination, his eyes reflecting the visage of the skull within them. He was beguiled by the inscriptions and reveals his hidden love for magic and all things magical. Xen kept the fact that he knew magic hidden, mages were used for their power often and died from overgiving or other causes. He feared being consumed by power, losing himself within its grasp and becoming a monster of its creation—without freewill or control. That’s why Xen was being so careful and indecisive; he didn’t want to lose to the temptation of power or to the powers of others.

“In the chimes I’ve been here—I haven’t been able to make a decision. And I believe that telling you that what I desired, was money, was wrong and a lie. The objects, no, the thing of my focus has been these inscriptions on the various bones in this room. What are they? The knowledge of how to make use of them is what I truly wish to know.”

Xen believes he had been indecisive for too long and a person, who couldn’t make their desires known, was looked upon as deceitful and untrustworthy—that is if said desires were truly good. He did not wish to appear as such person and was firm in his decision. The strangeness of this room was what he desired to learn, if not, he would try to understand the name of the art of death enveloping and surrounding him in this place.
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Words: 390077
Joined roleplay: July 28th, 2012, 12:02 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Catastrophe on April 27th, 2014, 2:07 am

The boy’s correcting response was expected, yet completely and utterly surprising. It was compelling to listen to his desires after hearing for the most commonly fathomed gift to man. Money was the initial reply, but now his request stimulated many different possibilities in Lindyls’s mind.

“Decisions are a power and a curse gifted to every individual on this earth,” said the constrictor. “To admit that there was hesitance in your choosing is a feat in itself.”

He didn’t know where he was going with his philosophical explanation. All he knew was that this boy was intriguing to him. He was full of awe-inspiring technicalities, much of the unlikeness of other humans and Dhani alike.

He watched as Xen picked up the creature’s skull. He couldn’t recall when he had last set that bone fragment in the place of find, but this did not worry him. Only things without true worth were kept out in his establishment for display. All those more formidable and without inept were presented in the back such as those with the essence of strength or pure will.

But when Xen spoke of wishing to hold the knowledge of what the inscriptions were on the skull he held, it sent a shiver down Lindyls’s spine. However, it was not one of worry or concern or fear for that matter, but one of curiosity and excitement.

He was stuck in a soft spot; restrained in the middle of two halves, waiting pleasantly for the more accurate answer to have bestowed upon him.

“What are they?” he said, mimicking the boy’s inquiry. “What are they indeed.”

He knew exactly what they were, for he had crafted them with his own personal Djed, the foundation of his creation. His own will had been formulated into those inanimate objects by his striving passion to create and store power and strength. Malediction was his treasury, what he held close to his heart. To some it would be described a hobby, but to him, it was something that kept his heart beating and his lungs accentuating the air around him.

“What do you think they are?” he asked, his tone darker, deeper as riddle continued to spew out from his mouth.

What did they do, indeed?
Catastrophe
I'm Your Biggest Nightmare!

Words: 112948
Joined roleplay: March 25th, 2014, 10:42 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Xen on May 2nd, 2014, 5:00 am

Xen moves his fingers all around the skull, it felt normal to him: aside from the strange inscriptions on its forehead. He couldn’t quite understand how these inscriptions could benefit someone—they were carved into the object for Siku’s sake! Xen places his thumb onto the inscriptions again, his mind trying to discover the reason behind their existence. That’s when an idea hits him! Maybe the inscriptions were able to transform a rather dull or weird object into a weapon.

“Ha! I’m a geniusss, geniusss I tell you” Xen thought triumphantly

Xen raises the skull into the air with one hand: as one would do with a sword and stands like this for awhile—he had the power! He was expecting the skull to turn into a grand and gleaming sword but nothing happened. Xen lowers the skull in shame, as his cheeks aglow a color of red. He was sure that the skull would transform, or maybe he was just a victim of his wistful thinking? Xen observes the object of bone within his hand: its cool white surface graced with a pale hue. He bathes in a state of quietude, trying to solve the epic puzzle that was before him.

“That wasss awkward…would it resspond to resss?” Xen thought

Xen concentrates on his inner djed: the very essence of his being. He could sense the energy flowing through his muscles and veins, it sustaining and giving power to his physical and spiritual being. Xen then directs the djed to his hands but only allows a small portion of it to travel there. The flesh of Xen’s palms was alive with sensations akin to static! This was a good sign to Xen, as he furthers his concentration and allows the djed to rise from his palms as res. A droplet of sweat cascades over his right eye and onto his cheek, revealing the strain his effort had upon his body.

The miniscule amount clear res flows into the empty cavity of the skull and disappears. A look of disbelief appears on Xen’s face—his res did nothing, nor did it cause any form of change. He could not trigger the magical properties he believed the skull had—however, refused to admit defeat! There had to be something missing, something he overlooked or an idea he had not called to the surface of his mind. Xen looks at the way the inscriptions were placed onto the skull and tilts his head to the side.

“Thiss sskull was a piece of a living creature but now belongsss to thisss conssstrictor. The conssstrictor hass entire room of boness with inscriptionss on them. He probably treasure thiss collection like how a boy would treasure a family heirloom.” Xen thought

Xen looks at the weapon on his side: the weapon his father once used to protect him from danger. This weapon now belonged to him and served as a small memento…a kind of legacy from his father. He puts the pieces together and clears his mind of questions that would surely obscure his thoughts. Xen then looks at Nessorousslindyls, who had a weird grin and darker tone to his voice. He couldn’t help but feel the odd interest the constrictor held towards him—the way a scientist would have towards a rare specimen.

“Thesse boness and inscriptionsss, they’re like legaciess of ssortss: sssomething left behind to be remembered by sssomeone. I thought they’d react to a touch or ssomething but as I took the time to think. I realized that like all legaciess, they tend to have or give ssspecial meaning or memoriesss to their holder. Do thessse inscriptionsss or bonesss give their holder sspecial meaning or memoriesss? ”
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Catastrophe on May 16th, 2014, 12:48 am

Lindyls was adamant about his possessions. His passion stretched far beyond the reaches of some individual’s perceptions. He held high standards for what he crafted and only chose those worthy to possess the powers each and every one owned.

As he was watching the boy pose and strike different postures, he couldn’t help but chuckle inwardly. However, a latent field of somber and serious energy synthesized with the surroundings prior to the dramatic disposition change.

“Simply striking a pose will not bring the essence of the magic out,” he announced somewhat cynically.

One half of him admired Xen’s hope, reinforced with a positive inspiration, but the other half of him looked down upon the action with contempt. He could almost feel some sort of taunt whether the boy meant to show it or not. This made the dormant scales on him human body quake with a slim amount of rage.

Impatience was slowly bubbling to the surface, but his mind calmed as he watched Xen’s mind work. He observed the gears and chains clicking into place and churning as a mechanical examination was being initiated. It made Lindyls feel some pity, yet he did not show it.

With a glint in his eye, he stole a few feet before planting himself closer to the viper. He straightened his back and began to lace his words with philosophical poison.

“The power of sssomething doesss not easssily transsssmute when in the handsssss of a foreign individual,” he mentioned stoically. “Have you ever heard of the term, the power liessss in the handssss of the beholder? What causes, reflects.”

The constrictor wasn’t certain on whether or not Xen was understanding his insinuations. His riddled tongue could get carried away every now and again; however, something inside the depths of the cavern in his stomach sensed he knew what was being spoken to him.

Suddenly he noticed the strain the boy was procuring from out of the corner of his eye. He was trying to dismantle the essential being of the bone to his usage. He was testing his strength, trying to manipulate the magic of the maledicted piece to his commands.

“A bone isss like a piece of art work, boy,” he spoke calmingly and slowly, drawing out each letter as if it held individual meaning. “I’m not sssure thissss particular one sssspeaks to you like it should.”

Instead of continuing with his lecture, Xen chose to speak up right then, his voice carrying over the hollow marrow of the bones scattered throughout the room.

“Do thessse inscriptionsss or bonesss give their holder sspecial meaning or memoriesss?”

Lindyls did not speak; instead he took the simplicity of motion and nodded his head. “You could put it that way if you desire to. Although, some can be crafted for someone else if wished to. Instead of monetary gain or you looking for something of magical property as a reward?”

He arched an eyebrow and leant back, propping his elbow on the counter behind him. He shuffled his feet out to support his caving back and then licked his lips insidiously.

oocI apologize for the delay! ;)
Catastrophe

Office

Postby Xen on June 3rd, 2014, 11:44 pm

Xen, in his single minded pursuit of knowledge, absorbs very word Nessorousslindyls uttered. He could also sense that the big constrictor was annoyed by his childish actions to a small degree. Nessorousslindyls made his emotions clear to him: through artful and philosophical words. Yet, despite how helpful Nessorousslindyls's words were at times. Xen couldn't help but feel a tinge of hesitation from him—Nessorousslindyls was growing impatient with him.

“That old saying. I have heard it before from somewhere.”

Xen squints in suspicion. The way Nessorousslindyls postured himself and lipped his lips—creepy. Xen resists the urge to scratch his skin as the sensation of insects crawling upon his body manifests. This fades once Xen hears the last of Nessorousslindyls’s explanations—they could be crafted. These bones had to be crafted? Wait, that didn’t make since at all! How were these bones crafted unless there was more to be done than just writing intricate inscriptions?

“Yes, I’am seeking something of magical property. However, I want to create it with my own hands or try to. I feel this is how I should repay you for my half-baked appearance here and for spending so much of your time.”

Xen wanted to be subtle but dealing with the bone collector wasn’t something one could take lightly or too slowly. There needed to be something to break the ice but what if he struck to hard? There was a chance he could fall into the freezing depths and drown. He would fall victim to his own impetuosity and disappear into the depths. Xen was willing to pay but he’d need to be careful, constrictors took advantage of promises and bargains, especially those from a young and slightly impatient viper.

oocGah! I actually had forgotten about this thread. :paranoid: Don't maledict me! I'm sorry!
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Catastrophe on June 21st, 2014, 6:22 pm

An odd silence decided to spread over both Dhani as if it were a blanket feeling the necessity to shroud cold patrons.

Lindyls eyed the boy with passion. There was something about him that deemed him more worthy than others. He wasn’t skeptical about anything. He believed in something as long as it held meaning and purpose.

Sometimes could this attribute pose danger to the possessor, but in this particular situation, it was something that made Lindyls feel warm inside. It was as if that ghost of a blanket manifested into a physical being and coated him in its warmth.

He fidgeted slightly before finding a more comfortable position.

He licked his lips again, something he did when he found someone he liked. Xen was someone of useful properties.

The constrictor himself wouldn’t do anything about him, but that didn’t mean the boy couldn’t do something for himself. He would grow into something special someday and Lindyls would be there to watch it happen.

However, he would make him work. He wouldn’t just give him something on a silver platter, for he was more philosophical and authoritative than that. He liked to see people strive for something and work for that which they desired instead of witnessing those get what they want just out of inheritance or because they pleaded for it.

“You’re capable,” he whispered almost inaudibly. He wasn’t sure he could hear his own voice although he knew he pronounced the words with infallible accuracy.

Striking down any possible awkwardness, the constrictor tentatively reached behind him and picked up a specific piece of artwork. It was the mandible of a boar, something he had sent an apprentice to scrounge about finding.

He had come back with only this portion of its skeleton, but it was enough to earn a pat on the back. Lindyls gave it voluntarily if not a bit hesitantly.

He wasn’t all that cold, now was he?

“Boy, I ssssee ssssomething in you,” he stated before turning the tables for the second time today. “But I won’t give things for free.”

He stuck out his hand and held out the mandible so that Xen could take it. Once he did, he constrictor continued speaking.

“There comesss a time when ssssomeone needs to ssstrive to attain ssssomething they desire with the utmost essssssence of their being. I can’t just teach you and I won’t teach you. That is something you must do for yourself. Go home tonight and open your mind. Meditate over our converssssation and reach into the pit of your exissssstence. Extract whatever it isss that issss there and polish it until it shines. You can masssster this disssscipline if you want it and that is ssssomething I believe you do. Once you figure out what this mandible is capable of, come back to me and prove it.”

And with that, the Dhani turned on his heel and disappeared into the back of his establishment.

oocSorry, I too forgot about this thread, but no worries. I found that it was a decent time to stop if that was alright with you. I left it with Xen now being the owner of a mandible and with some knowledge in the concept of malediction.

I feel that if you take some time you make some threads meditating and dwelling on all that Lindyls said that you can initiate yourself into malediction if that is the course you wish to take. :P
Catastrophe

Office

Postby Xen on June 24th, 2014, 1:02 am

A bead of sweat escaping the pores of Xen’s skin, cascades over his brow and falls to the floor with a splat. Xen didn’t know what was going on and assumed his words may have offended Nessorousslindyls. He hoped not because he did not want to end up in Nessorousslindyls’s collection and become one of the many beautiful and finely polished bones of malediction. The silence was beginning to eat away at Xen’s composure as beads of sweat, like soldiers, were diploid in waves from his flesh. Xen was expecting a good, philosophical scolding for his impatience but instead he receives commendation.

Really!? Why, thank you!” Xen thought!

Xen leapt forward with his arms wide-open and embraces Nessorousslindyls. And like a waterfall, his tears flowed from his eyes and cascade over his cheeks. He spoke inaudible gibberish from his mouth as he held onto the large constrictors waist while expressing his thanks. Xen grins but only slightly for this did not actually happen: it was merely a daydream. He nods gently and closes his eyes briefly before opening them and raising his head to Nessorousslindyls, his teacher. Xen drags the unconscious myrian to Nessorousslindyls, hoping that the warrior wasn’t dead as he had been unconscious the entire time.

“I understand and thank you, teacher.”

Xen extends his hand and receives the mandible with a bow. He wasn’t sure if Nessorousslindyls would appreciate being called teacher since some of the constrictors were a weird bunch at times. Xen then wraps his fingers around the mandible to get a feel for the item within his grasp—he felt nothing. This was to be expected as he hadn’t spent enough time with the thing, it had just been given to him a few ticks ago! Before he could utter another word, his teacher Nessorousslindyls had disappeared into his studies—to do what things a master of his trade did.

Xen went on his way as well, leaving his myrian prey with Nessorousslindyls as he turns, exits through the cavern entrance and disappears into the tunnels.
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Catastrophe on June 28th, 2014, 7:25 pm

Xen :
Skills

• Socialisation: 5 XP
  • Observation: 3 XP
  • Philosophy: 3 XP

Lores

• Zinrah: Easily Lost in the Tunnels
  • Nessorousslindlys: A Riddled Maledictor
  • Nessorousslindlys: A Philosophical Teacher
  • The Marrow: A Place Littered with Bones
  • Reward: Knowledge is Better than Money
  • Res: Using it to Experiment
  • Inspiration: Starting to Recognize Maledicion

Loot

• - Myrian captive
  • + mandible from a wild boar

Notes :
This was super thrilling to both read and write with you! I loved how the two conversed all the while sharing philosophical reason and insight. During certain parts of the thread I had to think. You put me in tight spots every now and then, but in the end I fed in some more riddles and gave you a mandible! You're free to do whatever you chose with that by the way. You don't necessarily need to initiate yourself and then practice maledicting, but I sure hope you do! Again, it was a joy to read and write with you and I can't wait to see what becomes of Xen next! :)

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, don't hesitate to send me a private message!

c
Catastrophe

Office

Previous