Completed Seconds Anyone?

This is both Edmund's and Ahri's second visit to the auction house, though under very different circumstances.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Seconds Anyone?

Postby Edmund Morealis on June 15th, 2014, 5:02 am

55th of Summer, 514 AV
The Kenash Auction House

It was an odd day when Edmund found himself at the auction house. Since it was on the opposite end of the city of his own business he had little reason to tread anywhere near it, and his own dislike of the people who frequented the dreaded building gave him plenty of reason to avoid it like the plague. Still, circumstances arose that led him to the house's white pillars and stone steps, the familiar building feeling all the more alien for its facade among the rest of the west bank.

It was a hot day like all days in Kenash, and Edmund was glad to find shelter from the sweltering rays of sunlight within the auction house despite his dislike for the building. Even though he was not frequent visitor, it was not difficult for him to find where he was supposed to go, for it was the house's only function for society. Indeed, it likely helped the place generate so much revenue. Letting that grim thought go, Edmund continued into the room where he had bid previously.

Edmund took his seat in one of the comfortable chairs arranged in an audience, facing the stage and keeping an eye on the entrance for the slaves. Immediately he regretted being here, but there was space for another in the kitchen and Edmund could do with as much profit as he could possibly scrape together. He was loathe to ask his cousins for help, and he did not look forward to their disappointment should he fail to pay back what he owed already. This was without mentioning the sure concern this would bring his sister. So here he was, looking for another cook for his cafe. He only hoped that there would be such an individual here today, for to return empty-handed once more to his business would be a potential loss in profit he could ill-afford.

So he waited for the auction to begin, easing into his seat and patiently watching the stage. It struck him as odd that there weren't other bidders already filing in. Wasn't it nearly noon? Unless...

A large sigh was let loose in the empty room.
How bothersome, Edmund thought, getting up from his seat and returning to the open doorway. Well, I'm here. Might as well avoid turning this into a wasted trip.Exiting the miniature auction room, he explored deeper into the building in the hopes of finding someone to point him toward Marshal Sitai, and fortune smiled in the form of one of the Freeborn hired to help in various capacities.

"Excuse me, but where may I find Mister Sitai? Edmund asked her. The Freeborn, in the middle of sweeping the hallway Edmund was walking in, answered not with words but by pointing further down the hallway. "Could you show me the way, please?

As she looked up it looked as if the Freeborn were about to tell Edmund to petch off, but her demeanor changed instantly the moment she got a good look of his clothes and, perhaps more importantly, the design sewn into his scarf. "Ah, my apologies, sir," she said at once, bowing slightly. "Yes of course I can, right this way."

She led him even deeper into the building, taking turns into parts of the auction house Edmund would never have thought to exist. So far back they went into the building that Edmund began to worry about whether he could make his way out again. He was reluctant to ask Sitai or any of his staff for assistance for worry of being a burden, but at the same time they would likely not appreciate a lost fool bumbling about their building. Eventually, the Freeborn led Edmund to a closed door and turned to face him.

"Master Sitai is in here. I hope you find what you're looking for, sir." The woman bowed respectively and Edmund answered with a thankful nod, then she disappeared back into the maze of hallways. Without wishing to delay, the young Morealis knocked twice and waited for the reply.

It came shortly thereafter.
"Come in," beckoned a surprisingly cheerful voice that Edmund recognized as Marshal Sitai. He opened the door without delay and stepped into the small office, closing the portal behind him and stepping in front of Sitai's desk. He had seen the man's talent when speaking to a crowd, a man well in control of his words in a way that Edmund admired, and he looked forward to seeing how the man handled talking to a single party.

Marshal Sitai looked up from the papers on his desk.
"What may I help you with today, sir?" he asked earnestly, his eyes falling on the design on Edmund's scarf. "Ah, a Morealis. Here to purchase a slave then?"

It was reluctant, but Edmund nodded in response. "That is what I'm here for, yes.," he said, quickly lifting his hands up in a placating gesture. "However, there is no urgent need to show me your... stock yourself. I will be happy to make my selection and come to you for the final transaction." Once finished, Edmund folded his hands behind his back, expecting to be led outside of the room.

Marshal Sitai had different plans.
"Actually," the auctioneer responded, smiling apologetically, "we prefer it that, when purchasing outside of auctions, we find the slave we think would best suit your needs. The pens are too unclean for someone of your station."

"Oh." That was twice now Edmund was wrong about some process of the auction house. It was not exactly a mark of shame, but it would be a lie to say he did not feel somewhat foolish making so many incorrect presumptions on only his second visit.

With the misunderstanding cleared, Sitai seemed to have been restored to full cheer.
"So, what may I get for you today?"

"Ah, I have no need for a very sophisticated slave, I just need someone who is capable of and willing to learn. Less expensive would be preferable." Edmund's eyes traveled around the room as he talked, eventually returning to rest on Sitai. "I'm running short on money, and this is an attempt to regain some profit. Anyone who's capable of kitchen work will do, preferably someone with a little background if cooking. If that is not asking for too much."

"Not at all, not at all," Sitai said smilingly as he crossed over to the door. "I actually have someone in mind. Feel free to have a seat while I fetch her." Satisfied his customer wasn't going anywhere, Marshal left the room and headed for the pens below the building.

Left alone, Edmund took Marshal's advice and took a seat in the wooden chair before the desk, letting out a long breath while he waited for the auctioneer to return with a slave.
I am never coming back here again, he decided.
Last edited by Edmund Morealis on August 11th, 2014, 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Edmund is currently suspended. Apologies!

"There is nothing to fear. You can trust me."
Edmund Morealis
You can trust me

Words: 113376
Joined roleplay: June 13th, 2014, 9:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Seconds Anyone? [Ahri]

Postby Ahri Czesoni on June 15th, 2014, 3:21 pm

Ahri’s latest adventure in Kenash was probably the most miserable forty days of her life, incapable of imagining such a place as the Caged Sun, Ahri now lied in her cell below the auction once again shivering. The sound of rustling hay once again gracing her ears like a choir of trumpets from the lord showing mercy upon her soul, as the physical and mental abuse she received from the owner was a type she never imagined before. Eyes sealed shut and the same outfit from last auction adorn her body she lied there till the slaves of the Hall came down.

“Hello again dear?”
The one smiled, “It looks like you have yet another buyer wonder if you will be able to please this one better than the last.” The cage door rattled open feeling herself receive the same type of groom as the countless days before. Was probably the most comforting touch she felt. It was brief, but soon enough she would find herself in chains and walked up and out to the ground level where she had been dreaming of finding another master, kind and gentler than Glen’s wife.

Today she didn’t bother to check who all was chained with her, praying that none would have to deal with the hardships of being bought buy a Ravendacke. The rustling of chains against solid ground would soon be heard from the staircase till finally they were lead up. Today there were only three slaves, probably the slowest auction they would have. In front the kevic woman, known as ahri quite tame as before but obviously frazzled from something. At the top of it strangley stood the Marshall himself.

Marshal Sitai smiled down at the woman, “Yes very good, very good. Come here I believe we have found you an owner.” Introducing the specimen today one at a time having the auction set up afterwards. Walking up quietly she was afraid of who she now would be working for hopefully someone gentle would finally come her way. As her foot step rattled with the chains she would follow Sitai slowly till they would reach the destination in the hall. It wasn’t another auction perhaps it was some buyer who specifically wanted her. Maybe it is Miss Oliver again. A cheery grin passing over her feature as she walked behind Marshal. To her disappointment it was a young man. Not recognizing she approached him with eyes looking at his shoes now.

“This here is quite the obedient slave, although I must say she seems a bit more dreary after her most recent owner not precisely sure what happened to her but I am willing to sell her to you for reasonably cheap what were you thinking?”
Marshal Sitai had already begun planning a price but he liked to figure out how much the client was willing to buy at so he didn’t make it to unreasonable a price. “Oh yes and feel free check her over as well.”

Ahri stood before the two men her shivering subdued for the most part but she still nervous to see what he thought of her condition.
Ahri Czesoni
Player

Words: 8926
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 2:40 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Seconds Anyone? [Ahri]

Postby Edmund Morealis on June 18th, 2014, 8:52 am

As soon as the door opened Edmund rose, not wishing to be seated while a slave was paraded before him. The slave Marshal brought was slightly darker skinned, probably hailing from the Eyktol region if not from there herself, and a good deal less dressed up than the ones he had seen at auction. More than that though, it wasn't just that she appeared less showy, she seemed... worn, somehow. Marshal's words put voice to that nagging sense of worry. She'd clearly gone through something that no one should have to be forced through, though the exact nature of which was a mystery to him.

"So what race is she?" Edmund asked, still keeping his respectful distance from the slave. A thought crossed his mind, and he gestured to the chair for her to have a seat. "Is she one of the human races? A Kelvic or Dhani?"

"Kelvic," Marshal answered, stepping back behind his desk and taking his seat. He returned to his work, though he was careful to pay attention to how the young Morealis was reacting to his offered product. "Her animal's a camel, though I've not seen her change into that form. It's what it says here though, and I'm sure someone's keeping track of this stuff." He smiled jokingly, humor that was totally lost on Edmund.

The young dynast regarded the woman before him, not appraising though it might have appeared that way.
"You said cheap," Edmund began, folding his arms. "I know little about the value of slaves, but I know that Kelvics are not meant to be cheap. What is your offer?"

"Four hundred mizas," Sitai said without even looking up.

Though the price fell just two hundred shy of his budget, the amount was enough to grab Edmund's attention. He looked, perplexed, at the auctioneer.
"Only four hundred for a Kelvic?" he asked. "I saw bids for Kelvics open at seven hundred and even eight hundred for some. Why is this woman so cheap?"

"Would you like to pay more?" Sitai replied. He sighed, never once looking up from his work, and stretched his neck. "If you want to know so badly, Glen said he had some problems with her. Complaining customers, some passive resistance, just being a general nuisance. She's already gained a bit of a reputation, and her lack of responsiveness won't fetch her much of a price at auction. But she can cook, if not very well, and she's cheap like you asked for."

Edmund listed attentively, regarding the slave in question for the entirety of the explanation. His original purpose nearly forgotten, he walked toward the woman and spoke quietly. "What's your name?" he asked.
Last edited by Edmund Morealis on June 24th, 2014, 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Edmund Morealis
You can trust me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Seconds Anyone? [Ahri]

Postby Ahri Czesoni on June 19th, 2014, 11:41 pm

Hearing the man before her who had seemingly put a good deal of distance between one another made it apparent to herself that she wasn’t quite as giddy as she once was. Answering his question purely in her own mine still having a gloomy expression across her. Kelvic, although now I feel more like a pregnant camel compared to human. Her body hadn’t healed from the abuse it had received by the strange radacke family at the Caged Sun. I already have a bad feeling that this might not be any better than the last group. A second after her own though she nodded as the Marshal spoke saying she was a kevlic with an animal like nature of that of a camels.

As he joked about her rumored animal form Ahri stood there a bit lost with the man’s sense of humor as well as she turned her gaze back to the floor. Looking at Edmund’s shoes now Ahri began observing them for a short period making note that he was indeed a well of man in such tailored boots.

Hearing the man wonder about her price she realized that he may have not been as well off as his apparel would let on. I guess either he isn’t a rich noble type or he knows that I am a bit worn around the edges. Perhaps I should start acting a bit chipper. Prepared for her depreciated price ahri would clench both her hands together and look up toward the man giving him a shy grimace.

As he mentioned her previous owners name she frowned not enjoying the memories that came with it. However shortly the new man spoke up asking for her name, “My name is Ahri, sir.” Bowing down quite a bit respectively trying to find her sense of obedience.
Ahri Czesoni
Player

Words: 8926
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 2:40 am
Character sheet

Seconds Anyone? [Ahri]

Postby Kaitanu on June 23rd, 2014, 1:43 am

Another place, another master. Kaitanu was used to the routine, used to the shackles, to the hot iron of the brand. He had a new brand now, but was used to pain, so it barely registered. At the moment, he was just waiting in the pens to be called forth, having not been in time for the larger auction that took place earlier. In his experience, he could be there for a few weeks, or maybe a few hours. It was hard to tell, sometimes. If someone needed a horse Kelvic, and none were available, he'd have to do. Kaitanu was under no illusions about his worth being greater than it was. Nor did he have any ideas of this master being much different than the last ones. The genteel look of the richer denizens he'd seen strolling the streets meant nothing in reality. The very well dressed could afford to be cruel and brutish.

Kai shifted slightly in his shackles, feeling the hard floor press against his bony rear, and the wall against his back. He'd managed to get a few winks in his cell, but there was no actual sleeping involved, not with the uncertainty and the noise. The most that could be said of masters was at least there was some sort of routine. Once he had their behavior patterns figured out, he usually knew when he could sleep or eat.

Or when he could sing. He never did so in earshot, if he could help it, but he would still create in his head. It was just a wordless tune he'd either made up or learned somewhere, he couldn't remember; his mind was often so fractured that such thoughts wouldn't come clearly like they should. He could remember what happened in the immediate past, so long as it stayed immediate. He could recall and follow his master's commands, but past masters, their secrets, their sins, were all vague and shadowy once he had gone to the next master. It was a coping mechanism, possibly, the mind shoving irrelevant information to the back so he had only what he needed to survive. At the moment, he just needed to focus on his inner music and send his mind away, but he was still very much on guard. The moment he heard anyone coming near him, he would be in the present again.
Common- Fluent
Pavi "spoken" and signed- Basic
Equine Language- Fluent
Kaitanu
A Shattered Vessel Holds Nothing

Words: 218710
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2014, 6:28 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Seconds Anyone? [Ahri]

Postby Edmund Morealis on June 24th, 2014, 1:41 am

"My name is Ahri, sir."

Young Edmund began to feel sympathetic toward the young slave, his earlier desire for haste all but forgotten. Once Marshal mentioned his cousin Glen Radacke, Edmund had a good idea of the nature of mistreatment that the salve - Ahri - had suffered through. Though Edmund himself was never a patron of the Caged Sun (nor did he ever intend to be), it was hard to be a dynast unaware of its reputation if not its details. To some extent, Edmund felt apologetic on behalf of his fellow dynasts for what she had gone through, though he was in no position to be outraged at their behavior. They were dynasts, and very little could be expected of them.

Excepting the Morealis of course.

"My name is Edmund Morealis," Edmund introduced himself. "I run a small but quality cafe on the East Bank, right between the toll bridge and Gold Beach. It is a modest establishment, not too popular or unknown. How would you like to help me?"

Ever so briefly Edmund's eyes darted over to Marshal Sitai, sitting at his desk and sifting through the papers there. Despite all evidence to the contrary, Edmund was not as naive as people would tend to believe. He did not think for a second that Marshal was not paying some degree of attention to Edmund's conversation; the man was too good of a businessman not to be. After all, as an auctioneer it often paid very well to be aware of the businesses of your clients. The more you knew, the better you could match slaves to their requirements, which would assist in any number of ways. Of course, Edmund benefited as well, and it was not as if his cafe were a secret in any event.

"My current cook has recently taken ill," Edmund explained "Because I have no knowledge of cooking myself, I was forced to close the cafe while he recovers. He is on the mend while I look around for a replacement. I was rather hoping you would fit the bill."

Edmund smiled in an attempt to seem reassuring. He could see that the poor girl really was trying to seem presentable and desirable as a slave, and it made him sad to think that after whatever mistreatment they subjected her to in the Caged Sun she was still so desperate to be bought by a master. "It matters not whether you have been professionally trained or not to be a cook, I will have my own teach you when he reteurns. We serve mostly simple dishes, so it should not be too difficult. Does that sound like an appealing job?"

No matter what I say, it will look as if I am pressuring her into this role, Edmund thought to himself bitterly. I suppose it comes with being a slave owner.

After Ahri's reply, no matter how lengthy or short, Marshal Sitai found it time to stand up from his seat and walk toward his office door once more. He had been looking over some recent documents and come across a list of recently bought slaves from Ravokian slavers, and after seeing the list of purchases was reminded of one in particular that he thought to bring up. Yet he did not tell either Ahri nor Edmund about the true purpose of his departure, instead just smiling as he reached the door.

"Forgive me," he asked, "but I would like to check on something. Please, continue, and perhaps when I return you will have made a decision, master Edmund."

With that, Marshal Sitai left and closed the door, leaving prospective master and slave alone in the same room. Rather than force Edmund to feel awkward, he let out a quiet but audible sigh of relief once he was sure that Marshal would be out of earshot. Leaning against one of the walls of the room, his usually impeccable posture relaxed somewhat, though he remained as upright as a wooden pole.

"I apologize for my earlier stiff spiel," Edmund said, resting his eyes as he leaned his head back against the wall. "It is always nerve-wracking to some degree to be in front of another dynasty member, for I represent my family as much as myself. Especially in front of slaves, I am expected to keep up certain appearances. My sister has already garnered a reputation for being overly kind to her slaves among the dynasties. It would not do for me to adopt that reputation as well, even though I share her sentiments entirely. As much as I wish I could, my business and goals rely on maintaining good terms with the other dynasts."

It was only after he had finished that Edmund realized just how much about himself he had shared with this random slave, thoughts that should probably have been kept private. Suppose I'll just have to buy her, then.

"So let us begin again, for the sake of colloquium. My name's Edmund, and it's a pleasure to meet you Ahri. Tell me, where do you hail from, or were you born and raised in Kenash like I was?"

~~~

Down in the pens beneath the auction house, Marshal Sitai strode intently but calmly down the central aisle, keeping an eye out for the slave he thought to mention to the young Edmund. One of the attendants was passing by him on her way to fetch some more feed for the slaves, but Marshal gestured for her to accompany him and she turned around at once. Eventually, Sitai found the pen he was looking for, which held a frail-seeming Kelvic with bleached hair and skin nearly as pale. He had arrived only recently and had yet to see an auction day, so he was still dressed in the same shoddy clothes he had worn during his entire journey. Not that it mattered much for the private transactions. Efforts of showmanship were reserved for the auctions, besides which Edmund did not seem the sort to put much stock in presentation.

"Come on, get up," Marshal said to the slave within. "I think we've found a buyer that'll take you off our hands before we have to waste effort prepping you for an auction."

The attendant entered the pen and unshackled Kaitanu from the wall, the task far too trivial for Marshal Sitai himself to do. "He won't care that you're scrawny, he's looking for a cook instead of a laborer. If I recall correctly, your seller mentioned you made meals for the other slaves during your journey? That'll be good enough. Making you suitable for the Ackina would be too much trouble."

After he was freed, he would be ushered into the upstairs area and through the corridors toward Marshal's office as Ahri had been, without even bothering to offer him a change of clothes.
Last edited by Edmund Morealis on July 13th, 2014, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edmund Morealis
You can trust me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Seconds Anyone?

Postby Kaitanu on June 24th, 2014, 2:22 am

Kaitanu obeyed without a flinch, used to worse treatment from such people as Marshal Sitai. At least the auctioneer was content with barking, and Kaitanu thought too lowly of himself to protest being belittled. He just nodded mutely at Sitai's question about being a cook. The pale, thin slave stood where he was as he was unshackled, not showing any outward interest in what was going on, or what the auctioneer said. His whole attitude was one of meek acceptance.

Inside his own mind, however, the cogs were still turning. Not too much- he was no genius in dullard's clothing- but enough to gather basic information about his surroundings, and about his new situation. Kaitanu had learned to watch without seeming to do so; it was a helpful ability when trying to avoid off-handed blows. Without looking up at his potential new master, he was still able to note his posture and bearing. The young man looked uncomfortable, which was a little odd, but that could have been for a number of reasons. Kai was not too surprised at the relative plainness of Edmund's nevertheless well-made clothing, given how little he himself was worth. This one was probably the owner of a business; they tended to buy the cheaper slaves than those in the great houses. Yet, he could see for all this that his prospective master was high-born, whatever his fortunes were now. Blood would tell, as some in Ravok said. What his personality was like remained to be seen, but Kai didn't have any expectation of a change. Masters were masters, no reason to think those outside Ravok were any less brutal. The most he could hope for was that this one was too lazy to pay much attention to him.

As for the other slave in the room, he felt only a little more interest. Mainly, he wondered where she had come from, and if she was human, or Kelvic, or something else. He hadn't ever seen someone like her before, to his knowledge. Of course, he hadn't been anywhere outside Ravok's watchtowers until the slavers brought him here, so that came as little surprise. Was she strong enough to bear her burdens? Looks weren't promising, but he knew better than to assume too much. After all, he looked rather waifish himself. If she couldn't hold her own, he would have to pick up the slack. He was used to that.

Kai also wondered what her previous masters had been like. From what he could gather with a sideways flicker of his eyes, hers had the haunted look of the brutalized. However, he noted that there was strength left somewhere, so perhaps she had been something other than a slave in her life. Those were usually the ones with some fire in them, as though their former selves still sought to push outward and reclaim them.

That was something Kaitanu couldn't ever comprehend. He felt no burning in the heart that rose up to fire the eyes, and give resistance to the soul. The same deadness of spirit still clung to him as it always had, making his movements mechanical, and his obedience absolute. Kai's fleeting glimmer of interest was faint, and disappeared after a moment as his mind disconnected again. The brief spurt of observation was only for future reference, anyway, as survival meant navigating around others. Blank eyes stared down at the floor, and the Kelvic slave waited for whatever was to come in silence.
Common- Fluent
Equine Language- Fluent
Kaitanu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Seconds Anyone?

Postby Edmund Morealis on July 17th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Before Ahri responded to Edmund's amiable introduction and opening inquiries, Marshal Sitai returned to the room with yet another slave in tow. A slight man by the looks of him, with hair as white as Edmund imagined snow to be. It did not look as if the slave could handle much heavy labor, but he looked overall healthier and not quite as despondent as Ahri.

"Before you come to a decision," Marshal interjected quickly, leading the new slave in with a presenter's vigor, "I would like to offer this one as an alternative. Fresh in off a recent caravan, able to cook fine and offering at the same price as I offered the girl."

For a quick moment, Edmund was inclined to outright dismiss the man's offer. Though he had no way of knowing, the slave Ahri seemed in much worse shape than the young man Marshal had just brought before him. The Caged Sun would do that to a slave. Yet at the same time, perhaps it was for that very reason that not purchasing Ahri would be the greater mercy. Though Edmund liked to think of himself as one of the kinder slave owners, he could not deny that, to a slave who knew him not, he was just another master. And Ahri's previous master was the very reason for her current state. Even if she were in a cage here at the Auction House, at least there would be no masters giving her orders beyond stay alive and prepare for the next auction.

"Unfortunately, Ahri - er, she seems unresponsive," Edmund told the auctioneer, sighing sadly internally. "For whatever reason I cannot fathom, but I would hope for some measure of reaction in those I'm trying to direct. Perhaps another time, for her."

The man was impossible to read. Marshal Sitai merely nodded, beckoning for the female attendant that had brought the new slave in to take Ahri away. She did so, and as the two women left they closed the door behind. It was impossible to tell whether this was an outcome Marshal found favorable, which Edmund considered a useful talent.

"So instead, I offer you this one," continued Marshal, returning to his seat behind his desk. He looked through some of his papers for further information. "His name is Kaitanu, sold by a slaver from Ravok. Allegedly cooked meals during the journey, before that I've got nothing."

Edmund walked toward Kaitanu and looked at him in what he hoped appeared analytically, for Marshal's sake. He hated this dance he had to perform for the other dynasts, but it was a necessity for himself and his family. "His selling price is four hundred mizas as well?"

Grunting from behind his desk, Marshal busily looked through the cluttered papers before him - or at least made an effort to appear busy. "As of right now, I have no idea what his capabilities are, but you're getting him cheap because of his appearance. No matter how capable a slave he is, his waif-like appearance means that, at auction, he'll have to be sold on words alone. You'll be saving me preparation and thought that would be better spent on other slaves."

After looking back to Kaitanu for a moment, Edmund returned to the seat opposite Marshal across his desk, leaning on its back. It made sense; words had to be taken on faith, but if a slave was clearly muscled or attractive then that was a form of proof. A slave with no benefits that could be seen would be difficult to accept as a capable slave, even if he were, in fact, capable. The logic was sound, though Edmund was no auctioneer himself. There was no doubt that Marshal had some method of compensation for slaves like this that came along, but Edmund had no idea what that would be, and he was not about to question a second discount. Not with his purse as light as it was.

"Well, Kaitanu," the Morealis said, turning to address the slave in question, "how would you like to cook for me? I own a small cafe on the East Bank of the city, where I cater to the wealthy of Kenash. The dishes offered are varied and fanciful but simple enough. I will have my current cook show you the ways to prepare."

Edmund Morealis
You can trust me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Seconds Anyone?

Postby Kaitanu on July 18th, 2014, 10:21 pm

Ahri was removed with little ceremony, and only the slightest hint of a look from Kaitanu, who had nothing hopeful in his nearly blank gaze. Ahri's behavior told of the newly shocked, rather than the numb acceptance of the truly broken. Oddly enough, Kaitanu's thoughts mirrored Edmund's in considering it best that she remain in the pens for awhile. For the horse kelvic, it was a matter of practicality, rather than mercy. A chance to regroup, to build the fragile shell around her psyche before the next onslaught. There were certain advantages to being buried so deeply under layers of callous; everything stopped feeling so raw.

Once out of sight, Ahri and her all-too-familiar scars disappeared from his mind, or seemed to. He could never quite remember things afterward if he hadn't designated them as useful to survival. Only her name would remain, in case he ever figured out who her previous master had been. Kaitanu would do his best to avoid them in future, if he could.

With only passing attention, Kaitanu then listened to the auctioneer and his prospective master exchange words, enough to glean what he needed and discard the rest. From what little he could tell with his eyes downcast out of habit, the dynast looking him over didn't strike him as 'master' material. Not as his other masters had been, anyway. There was something lacking in the human's way of carrying himself, an absence or apparent haughtiness or cruelty. Given that the auctioneer seemed to be the young man's social superior it might be enough explanation. Men seeking to please could mold themselves into worms if it got them anywhere. Kaitanu would have to wait and see if this one was new to the game, or merely hiding his true nature for the sake of social niceties.

At the very least, Kaitanu was being purchased ostensibly for cooking. If he'd had any real humor left, the kelvic would have laughed in himself to hear Edmund ask him if he'd 'like' to come cook for him, as though it mattered whether he did or not. The choice to even phrase it that way was one Kaitanu had rarely heard before, the point of which he didn't understand. Perhaps this new master hadn't had slaves in the past, as paid servants were likelier to be treated as though they had feelings. Better cooking, however, than other things he'd had to do in the past. Edmund's eyes hadn't given him more than a cursory scan, which meant Kaitanu either wasn't desirable to him personally, or he wasn't attracted to males in general. Kaitanu would take what he could get if it meant a little less pain.

The slave made a short bow from the waist, revealing for a moment the scars on the back of his pale neck that his thin tunic didn't hide. "I am ready and eager to obey, my master." he said, voice soft but nearly toneless, in spite of an actual effort to put feeling into it. Kaitanu knew very well that his appearance was not prepossessing to one looking for a work slave, and his time at the Institute hadn't helped his case. Yet, being a horse kelvic, he was stronger than he looked. Kaitanu had to be in order to survive the kind of life he'd had.
Common- Fluent
Equine Language- Fluent
Kaitanu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Seconds Anyone?

Postby Edmund Morealis on August 5th, 2014, 1:28 am

There was something about Kaitanu's immediate deference that reminded Edmund of the other slaves back at Blacksugar. He was ready and willing to serve, and apparently did not think much else was necessary. Though healthily skeptic, at least Kaitanu's eagerness was promising.

"He will do nicely, Mister Sitai. Have him sent to Blacksugar, I will receive him and make sure he is fit for work. Do not waste effort preparing him or anything, I will have that taken care of upon his arrival."

"Very good," said Marshal, standing up from his desk once more. He smiled and offered a hand to the Morealis, who took in and shook with mild enthusiasm. Purchasing slaves was always an awkward feeling, but he had gotten used to it at this point. After all, the family needed many. "You can expect his arrival later today, or perhaps early tomorrow. I'm still managing affairs here for the most part."

"There is no rush. Take your time, and we will receive him when he comes." Edmund nodded, smiling. Then he turned to address Kaitanu, to whom he nodded as well. "Your work will not commence immediately upon your arrival, but be prepared nonetheless."

However, it was not his intention to reassure the slave. While his back was turned to Marshal Sitai, Edmund reached up to his neck and gently pinched his throat on either side, between thumb and forefinger. His eyes shut in concentration, and he concentrated on the sensation building in his neck just above his shoulders. It was a slow build, but eventually a sufficient amount of djed pooled there for Edmund to feel confident in using his art. Walking to the door, he opened it and turned to Marshal one last time, ready to leave the Sitai quickly.

"It has been a pleasure doing business with you, Marshal Sitai. Have a good day."

With that Edmund closed the door, just in time to hide some gentle coughs into his elbow. The release still needed some work, for he could still feel the djed lingering like cheap cigar smoke. Yet even as he suppressed the urge to continue coughing, Edmund felt the warm glow in his chest that accompanied any use of Hypnotism. This time, it was just a simple emotional response that had been fed to the Sitai, a feeling of satisfaction. For what purpose, Edmund would leave for their next encounter - and there most certainly would be one.

That was all in the future, however. At the moment, Edmund pushed down the warm feeling that had swelled in his chest and retraced his steps back to the entrance of the auction house, prepared to leave for Blacksugar and return to business.

OOCJust wanted to get this wrapped up quickly, let me know if you want me to hand the thread in as is without replying.

Edmund Morealis
You can trust me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Next