Placeholder [The Medicine House] Hunting of a Different Kind

Zemeia goes job hunting at the Medicine House

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Taloba, home to the Myrians, is the thriving core of Falyndar. Inhabited by a fierce and savage tribe where blood sacrifices are normal and a way of life, they are untamed and proud of it. Warlike, and with their numbers growing, the Myrians are set on reclaiming what is rightfully theirs. [Lore]

[The Medicine House] Hunting of a Different Kind

Postby Zemeia on July 7th, 2014, 1:30 am

38 Summer 514

Zemeia heaved a heavy sigh as she picked her way down the beaten path to the Medicine House. Again she counted the bikka in her hand. Eight... eight bikka was all that remained of her hard earned savings. She resented having to beg for a stable position, but the fact of the matter was, that there was no other steady work for her. For two years now she had eked out an existence through odd jobs around the city. In fact, her niece's pregnancy is all that got her through last season. But now, late into the summer season there were no births to be had in the Red Orchid clan, and the children – hearty as they all were (thankfully) – should need no special attention for several seasons.
Other clans might, perhaps, need the services of an herbalist or a midwife, but due to her recent studies few of them would allow her anywhere near their families. Some called her a witch, but the majority simply kept their distance from her keen eyes. They simply did not understand... the Sight (as she called it) was a strange and foreign magic, sure, but it had only seemed to improve every situation in which Zemeia had utilized it. Tracking prey (or enemies), monitoring her fang mates, birthing and medicinal treatment, even gathering the herbs for her medicinal tinctures. There was nothing for which her unusual talent had proven detrimental. Try as she might to explain this, however, people still seemed to shy away from her.
Traya, she hoped, would be a bit more understanding. While she did not have "the gift" as others did, she was still a talented medic. The Sight, paired with her other abilities, was a powerful combination when applied to the healing arts. And silently Zemiea prayed that Traya would see, and jump at, such a prospect. If nothing else, her years of experience should count for something... she hoped.
Still praying and juggling her last remaining bikka Zemeia mounted the stairs leading up to the stilted building and paused, peeking around for the sprightly old woman...
Zemeia
of the Red Orchid

Words: 19852
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2014, 7:20 pm
Race: Myrian
Character sheet

Postby Voodoo on July 12th, 2014, 5:23 am

There was a silence about the medicine house that was somewhat foreboding. Just inside the door, Kiyal, the judge and jury of the medicine house, stood with her arms folded. She was poised, ready to strike at any issue that needed her attention. Her cold, calculating eyes scanned the room from her position in a shadowed area. It was not easy to beat the heat in the jungle, so what little shade could be found was often filled with bodies.

The front entrance had few people in it at this time, so one lonely face was easy to spot as it peeked into the House. Kiyal watched, her eyes narrowing. This was not one of their regulars. She would have remembered that bright bit of fabric she donned on her head. Before she had the chance to step forward and intercept the lonely woman, a cool, bony hand held onto her elbow. She did not even have to look back to know that her employer wanted her to yield. Kiyal waited as a bowed woman shuffled past, making a beeline for the woman in red.

Traya was rather quick for her age and was promptly standing before Zemeia. Today she had a large stick that started at her bosom and descended to the floor. Thoughtfully, she folded her hands on the gnarled top of it, smiling.

"How can I help you today, young one?"

Voodoo
I'm known for ma graveside manner...

Words: 73986
Joined roleplay: June 3rd, 2014, 4:50 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Zemeia on July 13th, 2014, 4:48 am

Zemeia felt very uneasy as she lingered in the entryway of the Medicine House. It was odd. This was not the warm and welcoming atmosphere that she remembered from when she was younger. Still thumbing her Mizas absentmindedly, she narrowed her eyes as a steely apprehension crept up her spine. It was too quite. Too Quiet. Zemeia wasn't one for silence. It made it far too easy for her other senses to sneak up on her; made it difficult to block them out. She would have to get used to that.
As Traya addressed her, Zemeia gave a startled jerk. Stowing away her Mizas, Zemeia placed a fist over her chest, just above her heart, and gave a deep bow. “I am Zemeia of the Red Orchid. And if you would have me, I would like to offer my services. I served nine summers in the military, and was regarded as the best medic in my Fang. And am also familiar with the medicinal and recreational plants of Falyndar, and the creation of tinctures and medicines as well as pipe mixtures. Additionally, if it would interest you, I practice the sight which barbarians call 'Auristics'. It can greatly aid with diagnostics and treatment of illnesses not solely related to the external body, or to the physical body at all... as well as monitoring clients moods and emotions if that is how you choose to use it.”
Finally Zemeia paused, keenly aware of just how rushed and nervous she sounded. It was clear from her mannerisms that this woman was a bit reclusive. She gave the elder woman a sheepish smile and continued with a bit of a shrug, “I am not the most gifted or talented person out there. I know that. But I am more than willing to learn. And I think that my abilities will be best put to use in the medicine room rather than waiting for someone to have the guts to approach my home. I have overseen several births since my retirement and all have gone well, save for one – the mother sustained mortal injuries just before the child was to born. Had to cut the baby out. She is a small thing, but healthy despite it. I also handle most of the illnesses within my clan. And I have plenty of field experience...”
Zemeia trailed off for a moment, struggling to find the words to truly explain her longing. As she nudged the floor with a toe from with in her open sandals, her hands found their way to an intricately carved knuckle bone trinket at her throat. Caresseing it's smooth surface and concentric pattern seemed to immediately bolster the woman's courage and spirits.“I want to help people. Keep them from dying if I can, or ease them into Dira's arms it if not. I think the best place for me to do that is here....” The young woman stopped and met Traya's gaze, “That is, if you have room for another pair of hands...?”
Zemeia
of the Red Orchid

Character sheet

Postby Voodoo on July 18th, 2014, 2:09 am

The moment she had spoken Traya could see the anxiety rise in a great wave. Laying her chin on her folded hands, she listened as Zemeia rolled out her achievements. In her slightly dozing way, she payed attention, noting the specific mention of Auristics. Having spent many seasons in this life, this was a word she heard used infrequently in Taloba. Thankfully, the words that were being exchanged were only for the ears of the two people. Her patrons probably would not take kindly to such strange workings. Traya waited until Zemeia was completely done with her tale before cracking a small, grand-motherly smile. One that was all knowing and yet, not.

"No need to rush here, child. This is a place of tranquility, where we heal and relax others. It is our job to be calm in times when most are not," Traya said in a slow manner, lifting her head from its place on her stick. "There has been a recent issue with one of my other medicine women. Rumors have chased her away from these hallowed halls. We could surely use the help with her absence. If she were to ever return, I believe you two would be a perfect balance to one another."

Traya had already begun to turn around to go about her business before finishing what she was saying. Her stick made contact with the wood before she spoke again, that same calming tone present. "Be prompt and ready to work. There is plenty to learn and plenty to be done. Also, please mind telling people about your magic. It is not well loved here in Taloba."

OOCI know this is short and sweet, and I do apologize for it taking so long. Unless you have other questions, please feel free to use one last post and submit it for grading. At this point, you can use Traya in your job threads as a teacher or background character. If you wish to use her in a thread with another person present, please send me a PM so I am aware. I look forward to seeing you around Taloba, and in the seasonal quest. ~Voodoo

Voodoo

Office

Postby Zemeia on July 19th, 2014, 5:47 am

Zemeia seemed to visibly relax at Traya's smile, nodding along with the woman's words in enthusiastic understanding. At the mention of her predecessor Zemeia's face fell some. "It saddens me to hear this. I know how insidious rumors can be. It would be an honour to work with her, should she ever choose to return." Taking a few quick steps to keep pace with Traya's unexpected exodus, Zemeia nodded again. "I understand," she said with a genuine, warm smile. It was a great relief, and very refreshing, to have someone treat her with such understanding and acceptance. Sending a silent prayer of gratitude to Kihala for the new life she was beginning, Zemeia followed Traya into the Medicine Room and listened intently as the woman acquainted her with the space; giving her a brief over view of where things are kept, how the facility is run, and her general duties therein. Then, with a knowing smile, Traya turned and left her to feel out her new position.

Zemeia introduced herself to the occupants of those beds which were not vacant, and familiarized herself with the state and progress of those who would be staying for any length of time. Having arrived rather late in the afternoon, she found that the majority of the patients had already received whatever treatments were necessary for the time being, and were now recuperating in the calm atmosphere. Knowing how essential rest often is to the body's natural healing process, Zemeia let them be and turned, instead, to the preparation of medicine.Moving into the adjoining work room, Zemeia took stock of the facilities available inventory. Astounded by the sheer scope of tools and herbs available to work with, she allowed herself a moment to drool over the possibilities, like a child in a candy store. Quickly though that moment was over and Zemeia hastily decided what she needed and set to work.

There were many herbs which Zemeia had never even seen before. However, she was confident in her ability to, at least, make a few basic concoctions that comprised the main staple of necessary medicines. Rosemary oil is easy to make, and Zemeia was sure that both the Medicine Room and the Massage House would find plenty of use for it. However, it would take quite some time to brew. So she carefully stoked the small fire that smoldered in the far corner of the workroom, and decided to prepare that first. Filling a large glass jar about 1/4 of the way full with rosemary, she then dumped the herb into a large mortar and bruised it lightly with the pestle, just enough to release the healing essences of the plant. The heavy, sweet scent of rosemary filled the room as she poured the prepared leaves back into the jar, she topped off the remaining space with oil, and hung it carefully over the fire to infuse. In two other jars she combined, individually, Filan flowers with strong spirits, and Lillian root with water, hanging these alongside the Rosemary infusion to steep.

While the other concoctions warmed and combined, she set about making a healthy portion of Tuljia Poultice. After rinsing the mortar and pestel, she added equal measures of aquatic jelly and Tulja root, macerating the mixture until they combined into a thick, uniform paste. Testing the goop between her fingers, she found it to be a bit gritty - which could potentially irritate a wound. So she added an additional small dollop of jelly and continued to grind the mixture until it was smoothe and creamy. Scooping all that she could out of the mortar and into a small pouch she sealed it tightly and tucked it away in the medicine cabinet before moving to check the other mixtures. By the time she was finished, the whole of the work room smelled heavily of pleasant herbs and dusky roots. The Rosemary oil and Lillian tea had brewed quite nicely, so she carefully strained the materia from the liquid, corked the bottles, and put them away to cool. The Filan essence was not quite as strong as she liked. So she set it aside to steep in the cabinet for a few days.

With a smile she surveyed her work - not bad for barely half a day - and made mental note of those herbs which she would need to gather; perhaps she could even find some Vayt's Ruse or some water flower for pipe mixes while she was out. With a contented sigh she checked on the patients one last time before closing the stock cabinets and heading home for the day, content with her days work and grateful for the chance to do it.
Zemeia
of the Red Orchid

Character sheet

Postby Voodoo on July 25th, 2014, 6:21 am

Your Powers Grow

Zemeia
Experience :
    Philtering: +1
    Socialization: +2
    Observation: +3
    Herbalism: +1

Lore :
    Traya: A Kind and Patient Woman
    Medicine: The Art of Keeping Calm
    Magic: Not Well-Loved in Taloba
    Brew: Rosemary Oil
    Brew: Lillian Tea

Comments :
This is something I already said, but careful of your skill level vs. where you play. A new healer/herbalist/philtarist would not know right off the bat about the Tulja Poultice. I didn't give you the lore, but I gave you one skill point in Herbalism. These things can all be learned in lores and such as you practice the skills.

You can now play Traya as your employer in the background. If you want to learn some skills from her that are not medicine related (like acupuncture), please send a request through my office for a moderated thread.

You have a job! You will need to complete two job threads by the end of the season to get your seasonal wages. This is not one of the two you need to complete.
Voodoo

Office