Flashback I Can Hear As You Tap On Your Jar

Juniper's belongings are in luck--Mirko's a pitiful thief.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

I Can Hear As You Tap On Your Jar

Postby Mirko on July 16th, 2014, 1:51 am

62nd of Winter, 511

The moon threw a strip of cold light across the bed. The girl was illuminated there, and she looked the way a ghost was supposed to look, willowy and orchid-white, her hair coiling across a mattress she seemed to skim over instead of sink into. Briefly Mirko wondered if she might be like him, some vellum-thin shell struggling to remember sleep—he wouldn't blame her for it—but he could still see her breath cloud in the chill air, billowing over the surface of her pillow. No, he'd never remember to make himself breathe that way, and he doubted that other ghosts would care to. When someone like Mirko laid down, their chest never rose or fell.

He looked away. The mist churning inside him rose to his surface, filling out his form with broad, haphazard brush strokes. He walked to her bedside to turn his newly opaque hands in the light and it refracted against his skin, softening the old ink and bruising and soot—just like it would if he were alive. As Mirko stared at the way it filtered through the fox-red hair, beads, feathers and dented bells chiming at his temples, he was almost reminded of home. All these ethereal trinkets, they caught the moonlight and threw it at irregular angles, glittering red and blue and yellow against the wall... Yeah, the floors in Wind Reach were always lit up by the sun coming in through stained windows, and when I used to watch Velki shape those little globs of dyed glass I'd look at the colored shadows they cast on the walls, wow, I really don't want to be thinking about Velki, that was all horribly embarrassing, I feel a little ill now, I wonder what's happening out there, I wonder if I can just go back now, I wonder if that Endal's neck veins got punched in and filled his insides up with blood when I hit him with that rock, what are those neck veins called anyway, can you even get killed that way? I still feel sick, I wish I hadn't thought about Velki's studio, ohhh I'm stupid, what happens when people get old and there's just too much jammed up in their minds to deal with, I guess they're going to die anyway, that takes care of that and all, what'll happen to me now that I've got forever and I don't get old...

Mirko burned through half of the Midnight Rest looming over that poor melanin-challenged girl. His own color had long since fallen out, and he'd begun to hover a few inches from the floor—blood trickled from his nose, over the curve of his chin, down his neck. The beads in his hair weren't reflecting light anymore. ...and I bet everyone will be dead once I come back, so that's good in the sense that they'll forget about the whole biting people thing, I— Mirko's eyes refocused. He blinked, once, twice, and touched back to the ground. —I was here for something.

It had taken him a bell to notice, but there it was in plain sight: The pearl, sitting beatifically on the nightstand. He'd seen a man, the girl's father he assumed, palm it to her in the Lhavitian marketplace earlier that day. Although he'd barely been able to make it out at the time, Mirko knew that smooth, luminescent texture from years of turning it over in his hands, thumbing it until its luster faded and it dimmed from warm cream to gray. And oh, that pearl had grown ugly, but it never was to him. Nothing Mirko found beautiful ever, ever grew ugly to him.

He reached out, willing his meager, cloudy life force to compress at his fingertips. He just wanted to turn it over to see if it was his, if those little symbols were carved onto either side of the pearl's surface, those same symbols that he'd poked into his own face. The image of his finger brushed against the pearl, and he pushed—only for his hand to phase right through. Petch, he was tired, he'd spent so much time staring at himself in that moonbeam as if he wasn't going to watch the way light wrapped around his body for seasons and seasons and seasons to come, oh gods...

Mirko pushed again, and it rolled serenely off the side of the nightstand.

Onto the floor.

Under the bed.

"...Petch."

Mirko
clip your dirty wings.

Words: 14761
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2014, 4:59 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Scrapbook

I Can Hear As You Tap On Your Jar

Postby Juniper Frost on July 26th, 2014, 4:57 am

: : : 62nd Day of Winter, 511 AV : : :

Soft candlelight carried surreal sensations and spectres of sparkling dreams, floating them on the dying light of a dying candle's flame. The phantasmagoria of dancing half-lights and half-truths stretched along the old wooden walls and billowed about full of fleeting self importance. Quietly, so quiet that even silence would be loud, the dreams sneaked and slithered through the dimly lit room and into the mind of a child who was otherwise unaware. Children often are unaware while sleeping, or so it is said. Finding their host to be most comfortably in a state of blissful unawareness, the dreams made their home in her body and proceeded to throw a party. Fantastical journeys, half-realized states of being, and daring acts of flight and levitation were some of the events to be held in the little girl's dreams. They laughed, they danced, they ran and chased and played. The dreams entertained her as she slept, so Juniper did not overly mind her body being used as shelter for the wayward dreams. They were practically friends.

So it was, with a burst of the loudest noise in the already noisy silence, that the dreams fled abruptly and startled Juniper into a wakeful state. Like a boulder tumbling down a mountainside, the small pearl at her bedside table crashed upon the wooden floor of her bedroom with such a thunderous cacophony that as the dreams fled they applauded.

In truth, it was not much louder than the sound of a small pearl tapping against wooden beams, yet to the sleeping little girl it was enough to wake her from her pleasant sleeping show. With little effort, Juniper peeled open her eyes and beheld her darkened bedroom.

"Petch," she heard.

-- -- --

Moonlight a shade paler than her own skin shone through her only window and was the only light, as her candle had gutted itself some time earlier in the night. Silver-white beams cast through the glass and illuminated not only her room but the paler figure at her bedside as well. Juniper did not startle at the sight of him, having already undergone quite the phantasmal journey beforehand, and merely rubbed at one eye as she took stock of the boy beside her bed.

He was taller than Juniper and had a head of messy fire-red hair. He had a pretty face for a boy despite the hollow looking eyes, and had a variety of accessories about his self such as piercings, beads, and baubles that only accentuated this. Juniper soaked it in, and would have noticed more if not for the fact that she could see her door behind him. No, not behind him, Juniper realized, but through him.

This is the point in any story where the little girls screams or cries out in some other such startled fashion, backpedals out of bed into a heap, and generally makes a loud mess of things.

Juniper's face lit up with delight and she immediately stuck her hand into the boy's transparent body, wiggling her fingers along the way. Squealing silently with amusement, Juniper retracted her hand and looked up to the boy's face.

"Hello," came her small voice, "I'm Juniper. I'm sorry I stuck my hand in you."

Juniper beamed a smile of the purest, dumbest innocence afforded to only the most sickeningly sweetest children. Juniper was completely oblivious to the fact that it was not a living boy beside her bedside, or a dream of a boy, it was a ghost of a boy.

Juniper Frost
Beloved Phantom

Words: 41740
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2014, 11:00 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes