Completed The Falcon's First Flight

The early bird gets the worm, or in this case, the paying job!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

The Falcon's First Flight

Postby Enthere on July 19th, 2014, 1:41 am

The male Kelvic made it to the door. Enthere slowed her pace to a brisk walk, she didn't want to barrel into him if he came to a sudden stop-which he might if Black reappeared. The man stopped, but not for Black, there was a very old human wandering by the door blocking his path. Enthere thought about calling out to him again, but something stopped her, pride maybe. Or perhaps simple shyness, she still had no idea who he was. Or frankly what he was up to. She kept walking after him as he disappeared out the door a second after the old man passed. Enthere ran the remaining distance in three strides, ducking once for a large woman carrying a tray laden with brimming tankards. And then she was free, in the open air. She felt a momentary rush. Breathing in the fresh ocean breeze. She didn't know what it was about being a Kelvic that made here long for both the wild rush of freedom, and the equal rush of being surrounded by the press of people. It awed her and frightened and irritated her all at the same time.

She gave a tiny sigh before sweeping her gaze around the immediate surroundings. The two Kelvics weren't hard to spot, the male was approaching Black, loosing his shirt as he went. Enthere's first thought to this was that he was about to transform to his animal self, but when he didn't she noticed his clothing-and himself-were soaked with ale. Enthere had escaped relatively unscathed. Most of the beer had already been spilt by the time she passed, but her boots were wet on the soles and her trousers had a damp look to them as well. She watched quietly as the male Kelvic dropped his sword at Blacks feet, a stupid thing to do, she thought. She would never give up a weapon. Maybe she would have once, when she had someone she trusted, but she didn't have many friends these days. Let alone anyone she really trusted..
"I think we had a misunderstanding, I should have made my intentions clearer." He said, leaning against one of the horse posts. There were two horses tethered there, Black was scratching one. She seemed to like the horses, but there was something about the way she looked at them, she was comfortable with them, but there was something else too, maybe a little melancholy.
The male Kelvic continued talking, Enthere listened quietly, she could just butt in while he was talking, but she knew that would be rude. And they might find it aggressive. She had stopped listening for a moment, and when she refocused on the Kelvic he seemed to be...confessing? From what she gathered he hadn't known Black was a Kelvic, it was mere coincidence that they were together. And he has unanswered questions about his nature, just like me. She felt a little better about approaching him now. Black still seemed a bit threatening, but she seemed satisfied by playing games with them, why else would she run off, then wait for them?

"I apologize for any fright I may have caused you, I just need a little help."
There was a long pause, Enthere stepped forward so she was now a part of the little group. Her expression was stoic, impassive as any cats. But she inwardly fumbled for words, she didn't know what to say, she should introduce herself, but she should state her intentions first, so they'd know why she was following them. It all felt a bit pathetic now, running after complete strangers, but it had been instinct. She needed answers, she need someone to talk to, and they could hopefully give these. Now she knew the other Kelvic was just as confused as she was, there was a chance they could answer each others questions, it was a small chance. And there was Black, Enthere didn't expect to get many straight answers from her.

Then the other Kelvic was talking again, of flight, the sky and stars. It was strange to her, talking like this. Like life was a dream and you could wake up in the heavens. Finally she said, "I'm not here to hurt anyone, and I'm not with anyone else. I'm here for myself. I have questions too." She watched them both with an iron-steady gaze, ready for their responses.
Last edited by Enthere on July 25th, 2014, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere
Surviving. Fighting. Healing. Freeing.

Words: 56259
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2014, 4:32 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Black Onyx on July 20th, 2014, 3:52 pm

Black heard the male's approach the moment he exited 'the Grotto' and she remained silent as she gently stroked the dun's face before she moved to turn and face the approaching male. The first thing that she noticed was the grin that had settled upon those lips and she briefly wondered if she had made a grave error in lingering behind to let them catch up to her. After all, she couldn't recognize the animal scent that clung to him. The second thing she noticed, was that he had ditched his shirt and a brow lifted, was she supposed to be impressed? Men leered all the time in Zeltiva, a woman, or one such as her who frequented East Street, grew used to such wicked grins. Stupidly, he threw his sword at her feet and she lifted a booted foot to pin the sword underneath it and she watched with silent amusement as he bowed. Right... She thought to herself, was this supposed to sweeten her up? "I think we had a misunderstanding, I should have made my intentions clearer." Came his excuse as her gaze flickered over to the female kelvic that had come to the door. Well, at least she couldn't say that this was indeed turning out to be a boring day.

Her brown-eyed gaze returned back to the male as he continued speaking and she listened, but she was indeed flickering over possible ideas and events that she could or could not put into action right at this moment. After-all, a thief had to be prepared for anything that could potentially be a risk. However, he had only just said that he needed her help, when a smirk fell onto her lips. Black didn't help anyone for free, in fact if he wanted help, there was only one way he was going to get it and he would have to strike a deal with this here thief. He had already said that he was pretty useless with a sword, something that he probably shouldn't have told to someone that he didn't know. Looks were deceiving, they always were and if someone was carrying a weapon, such as a sword, people would be less likely to pick fights. "Black, I can fly. I can fly higher than the tallest of mountains, and right now I think I'd rather be with the stars than the people down here." It was then that he slumped to the ground and her gaze flickered to view the female kelvic for a moment. What would she be inclined to do?

The strange woman spoke instead. "I'm not here to hurt anyone, and I'm not with anyone else. I'm here for myself. I have questions too." So it seemed that they both didn't know each other and were both chasing answers to questions, questions that she may, or may not know. It was a perfect opportunity of her to exploit their situations. She didn't know them, yet, so she was guilt free for probably taking advantage of their situation. Slowly, she slid her booted foot off of the sheathed sword and bent down to pick it up. After she had straightened up from picking up the sword, words found their way to her red lips, "Tisk, tisk, tisk. Your father should have taught you better than to just throw away your sword." She said as another smirk found its way to her lips and she turned away from him, taking a couple of steps away. "If you're seeking sympathy, then you are talking to the wrong person, the both of you." She allowed that to simmer between the two. Indeed, Black wasn't one to sympathize with anyone, she tried not to, for it created emotional ties, emotional ties that she tried to avoid.

She then turned, her gaze flickering first to the female kelvic and then to Seran as he sat there upon the ground. A bird huh? She hadn't met a bird before. "However, I may or may not be able to help you with your questions, but seeing as I am a thief, I don't do anything for free. I am willing to help and or give you information to your questions on one condition." She paused for a moment as she looked towards the sky before looking back at the two. "Become my informants and I will be more that happy to assist in any possible way that I can in regards to your questions." A mischief glimmer seemed to settled into her brown hues as her smirk seemed to widen upon her lips. She held the only defensive weapon that the male had, or so she concluded. Should he decline, she wouldn't exactly be inclined to give it back. For he did just throw it to her, so technically it wasn't called stealing and he couldn't call her out on it. The female kelvic on the other hand, Black didn't have anything that she could hold over her, for now though, she would just take her chances with that woman with a roll of the dice. Verbally speaking of course.

Image Image Image
Active Threads: 3/5
Black Onyx
Sometimes, our scars define us

Words: 175802
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2014, 11:49 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Seran on July 21st, 2014, 2:40 am

"I'm not here to hurt anyone, and I'm not with anyone else. I'm here for myself. I have questions too." Came a voice from Seran's right. He looked up to see the tall eavesdropper looking back, her face as stony ever. Apparently however, she was like him. This intrigued him, but his main focus was on what Black's reaction would be. He noticed that almost instantly, she had put her boot on his weapon. Maybe I shouldn't have given that away...

The knotting dread in Seran's stomach intensified as she removed her boot to pick up the sword. "Tisk, tisk, tisk. Your father should have taught you better than to just throw away your sword." Black's expression seemed almost condescending as she noted this fact, but he shook his head sadly. His father had told him this and it had only been in a gesture of good faith that he had done so, hoping to earn even a small thread of trust. "If you're seeking sympathy, then you are talking to the wrong person, the both of you." Seran nodded slowly, chewing his cheek as he reflected on her statement. Expression hardening, he got to his feet and met her now unattractive smirk. "However, I may or may not be able to help you with your questions, but seeing as I am a thief, I don't do anything for free. I am willing to help and or give you information to your questions on one condition."

Black glanced at the sky and Seran's mood curdled into a roiling undercurrent of bitterness. A thief, that explains everything. The easy slinking through crowds and your almost paranoid fear of people, not to mention that from what I've seen, we kelvics aren't a friendly folk. Of course, there was that bizarre need that dogged him, making him itch to go search for something, but he shoved that aside. It's time to leave. Seran had lurched forward when she continued her thought, "Become my informants and I will be more that happy to assist in any possible way that I can in regards to your questions." Seran's heart stopped, then it fell making him slightly dizzy and nauseous. His expression hardened as in his mind's eye, his heart crashed into the ground and shattered.

"Informants eh?" Seran walked forward and brushed Black away. He'd meant to make the motion casual, as though she were an afterthought but inevitably his brush had been more of a shove. "That's my horse you've been coddling, and I'd be damned if you didn't poison him as well!" Sol tossed his head, sensing his master's distress. Rearing him back, Seran sighed and dismounted. Standing tall and with his head held high, he untied the knot in his horse's lead and stuffed the rope into the saddlebag. Remounted and with a sense of failure looming in his mind, he steered Sol away towards the mountains. Turning his head to look back he called, "Keep that sword safe, it was my father's! Don't you dare sell it you wretch!" He turned away, a half-sob making him shudder. A voice inside him made him turn to look at the sun in the sky. It wouldn't be so hard, to just shift and fly away. I could abandon the ways of men and just be the falcon I really am. But then I'd have let father down. He set Sol off at a trot, not daring to look back. The tears flowing on his cheeks fell to the ground quite like the answers which he knew he'd never find.
Last edited by Seran on September 13th, 2014, 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seran
Only in dying life; bright the hawk's flight.

Words: 38664
Joined roleplay: July 8th, 2014, 4:18 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Enthere on July 21st, 2014, 3:40 pm

"Become my informants and I will be more than happy to assist in any possible way that I can in regards to your questions."

So that was her game, she was looking to add them to her tool belt. The thought made her seethe inwardly. Enthere was normally a passive person by nature, she had the fight of a cat in her, but like the cat, she was often too aloof to engage in battles, especially verbal ones. This was an interesting predicament, yes, but not one she enjoyed as this wasn't a battle of words or actions, but a battle of truth. Black was a thief, which was far less surprising than the fact she was a Kelvic. And the thief wanted information. Enthere did not want to become an informant for anyone, and she wouldn't likely be a useful tool to the thief anyways. Enthere moved around too much, she didn't have any ties to Zeltiva, there was nothing keeping her here. And certainly no petty thief would make her stay. She considered these things while Seran swatted words at Black and got up on his horse to leave. Enthere was done with the thief, but the rather rash young man was a different story. Even though he was as confused as she was, he obviously didn't have a hidden agenda, and Enthere did not want this day to be as fruitless as it threatened to become.

She wished she could return his sword to him, then perhaps he would speak to her. But she was completely lacking of anything to trade for it, the thief wanted information, but she didn't have any for her....did she? What sort of information would a thief be looking for? Something to hold over others, or something she could gain from. Enthere thought quickly, she might have just what she needed. She could make a bargain with the thief, as much as she hated the idea, maybe they could both walk away happy.

Enthere smiled blandly at Black, her eyes a cool blue, she eyed the sword, it was a fine piece of metal as far as she could tell. "You want information? I'm an honest Kelvic, but I'll trade you a secret for that." She indicated the sword with a tilt of her head, Seran was already riding away. She would have to make the trade quickly to be able to catch him.
"I know you want an informant, but as you have noticed I'm not good at fitting into a crowd." She paused, the more information she gave the thief, the deeper she drew herself into the situation, but she needed Black to understand that she wouldn't become a full-time informant, but that she did have a valuable piece of knowledge. "Anyways, I'm only passing through here. So is it a deal?"
Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Black Onyx on August 3rd, 2014, 8:33 am

Black allowed the male to brush passed her as the expression upon his facial features hardened. She didn’t take offense to the simple factor that his brushed had been a shove, in fact, she took a couple of steps back in order to make sure that she didn’t loose her balance. The young female knew at that point as he shouted words back at her, claiming that she might have poisoned his horse, that he was not interested in becoming her informant. Her shoulders lifted and fell in a simple shrug, horses was probably the only creature upon these plains that she would not harm. They were a smart creature and maybe it was just because she was just as much a horse as she was a human, that she felt that way. Seran, also said something about the sword once being his father’s and she could feel an eye-roll was close to happening. The man, or boy, she didn't know which reference to call him, was being a little over-dramatic. He could have stayed and she would have more than likely given the sword back, for she had no use for such a large and bulky item. They got in the way more often than not. Now if the weapon had been a dagger, it would most certainly be an item that she would be more interested in keeping.

After she had watched Seran begin to trot off on his horse, her gaze flickered back to the female kelvic as she began to talk. “You want information? I’m an honest kelvic, but I’ll trade you a secret for that.” And she indicated to the sheathed blade that Black had gently resting upon her shoulder. A smirk slipped onto her lips as she quietly listened to the rest of what the other kelvic had to talk about. Sometimes she wondered whether people thought her to be stupid. While the two strangers might not have known who the other was, the young equine, had certainly taken note of the way that the kelvic female had watched the male trot away on his horse. The blade that she was holding, might be worth a lot, could she be bothered be track down an actual blacksmith that would be interested. However, the blade would probably sit inside her secure room till she had a purpose for it. Or… her own brown gaze flickered over towards the back of the retreating male, he might actually re-think the decisions that he had made upon this morning and be back in order to become her informant. No way would she be losing that opportune moment just to gain an informant that wouldn’t be staying within Zeltiva. The male had been chasing work, so chances were, he was looking to stay in Zeltiva.

The young woman angled her head slightly to the right as the smirk upon her lips widened just a little, “I don’t think so. For you see, I might be able to get a pretty price for this blade and only having an informant for a short time does not really work in my favour. I could simply walk away right now and have more than I would if I hand this over to you. You who would probably only give it back to the original owner.” Her gaze flickered back to the female kelvic, before she would turn upon her heels and began to walk away from ‘the Grotto.’ Her direction? Nowhere really, she was just interested in walking away from the scene that had been presented. Did she get anything out of it? Not really, she only got a weapon that she could very well sell, or hang onto for leverage. She just didn't get what she was originally chasing and that was informants, the young woman wanted, no needed, as many as she could get.

Image Image Image
Active Threads: 3/5
Black Onyx
Sometimes, our scars define us

Words: 175802
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2014, 11:49 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Seran on August 5th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Seran bit his lip, and wiped his sodden cheeks. He was at the entrance to Zeltiva, he could just leave and the mountains beckoned but... There was that other woman who had made herself known. She hadn't been quite so abrasive and unfeeling as Black. In fact, he hadn't even acknowledged her existence. She had said she also had questions and it seemed as though perhaps they might just be able to seek them out together. And, a darker thought tore through him, we could perhaps use Black to our advantage! Of course she's extremely wary, we'd have to be the picture of perfect cooperation. Hmm yes. He glanced down at Sol and his possessions and he sat there for a few moments. Galvanized into action, he leapt off Sol and tied him to a tree just outside the city and stripped. He shivered slightly at the breeze, I really hope I have better luck with this one.

Several moments later, Seran was flapping hard back towards the Grotto, a bundle of clothes in his talons. He was suitably high that nobody would suspect he was any different from your average bird of prey. When he closed in though, he saw the dark form of Black stalking off, sword in hand. He screeched in irritation and dove. Breaking his dive only a dozen feet from the ground, he dropped his bundle at the foot of the pole he's tied Sol to, then perched upon it. He nodded to the woman, and then hopped to the ground. Awkwardly enough, he dragged the bundle back into the the stables. Knowing the telltale flash of light would even more indicate his identity, he peeked his avian head out to watch Black. Once he determined she was a safe distance away. He shifted and changed.

Stepping out from the stables, he sighed heavily. Relax, and be reasonable. "Sorry about that whole scene back well, here. I should have known not to place my faith in someone who is so obviously untrustworthy." He straightened his shirt which still reeked of ale. "We haven't been properly introduced. My name's Seran and as I'm sure you noticed, I have a penchant for falling hundreds of feet for fun." Good, you're doing fine. Don't pull anything foolish. "If you're of the same mind, I thought we could probably make the acquaintance of Ms. Black as I'm sure she will prove to be extremely useful to us, whether she wants to or not!" With that last phrase, Seran unwittingly adopted a faux evil grin and raised his fist in excitement. Now you've gone and done it you damned fool!
Last edited by Seran on September 13th, 2014, 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seran

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Enthere on August 5th, 2014, 11:16 pm

Enthere didn't even give a shrug when Black turned down her offer. It didn't make any difference to her in the long run, and she might still get a word with the male Kelvic, If she hurried. She was about to start off after him-he looked to be headed out of Zeltiva-when she heard a loud shriek and a brown and black falcon with white-tipped feathers dropped out of the sky to perch neatly on a nearby post, dropping a pile of fabrics on the way. It took Enthere a moment to realize that the pile was actually clothing, and that this must be the male Kelvic, or at least a Kelvic, though it would be surprising to find not two but three Kelvics in the same day, at the same pub no less.

The bird nodded smartly to her and shuffled the clothes into the horse stalls. It was an almost comic presentation, but moments later the male Kelvic-as she had thought it was-stepped out. He still smelled strongly of beer, and Enthere thought he could have at least stopped for a change of clothes if he was going to the bother of running off, only to come back. She noticed for the first time that he was several inches shorter than her, and that his hair, like his feathers, was white-tipped. "Sorry about that whole scene back well, here. I should have known not to place my faith in someone who is so obviously untrustworthy." He said. Enthere gave him a questioning look, was he talking about her or Black? Black was the thief, so he was probably talking about her. In hindsight Enthere thought it seemed foolish of the girl to say she was a thief, no one trusted thieves.

"I'm Enthere,"
she said in reply to his next statement. She had already given her name, but decided there was no harm in giving it again. His next sentence was unexpected, "If you're of the same mind, I thought we could probably make the acquaintance of Ms. Black as I'm sure she will prove to be extremely useful to us, whether she wants to or not!" Enthere frowned. "You want to use her in the same way she was going to use you?" She wasn't quite sure she understood what Seran meant, she also wasn't sure she liked his proposal, but she knew that both Seran and Black were two of the few people that could possibly answer her questions. "I just want answers." She said finally. It wasn't exactly a 'no' or a 'yes that's a good idea' but it was the closest she'd come to either for now. She turned to look after Black's disappearing form, "how do you intend to make her...help you?"
Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Seran on August 10th, 2014, 2:47 am

"Oh I don't intend to make her do anything! No Enthere, she's going to give us all the answers we need." He chuckled heartily, replying to her question. Seran noticed that she did seem somewhat reticent to his proposal though and he calmed down somewhat. "I just think that if we cooperate with her enough that she trusts us, then we can get the answers we need and then leave her for good. After all, keeping the company of thieves is not a healthy pastime." He stretched lazily, and his stomach growled loudly. "Enthere, I've just realized. She's hardly going to be challenging to find is she? Why not go back inside, grab a bite and relax for a moment." Seran knew that most kelvics were fairly cautious of others but he knew his next statement could tip the scales in his metaphorical favor. "Food's on me." He winked.

Nodding cheerily to her, Seran made to go back to the inn. Then a thought crossed his mind, and he turned his head. Gathering the spit in his mouth, he glowered at the direction Black had departed to and spat. The door was still hanging open and as if it was an afterthought, he bowed his head discreetly. I wonder just who I bumped into in my rush to the door.
Last edited by Seran on September 13th, 2014, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seran

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Enthere on August 12th, 2014, 8:13 pm

That was it, Seran was right. It wasn't healthy to spend time around thieves, and she was starting to have doubts about Seran too. There was nothing to be gained here. She waited as Seran invited her to eat, she shook her head. "No, thank you. You can talk to Black on your own. I will have no part in this." She turned, going down a street opposite of what Black had chosen. These Kelvics were not what she'd thought they would be, Black was a city thief, not seeming to do her free roots justice. And Seran was to wild and unruly, and did he really think he could find Black again? Especially if he went and took a meal first? Enthere shook her head quietly, she needed fresh air. Real fresh mountain air. It was time for a nice long hunt, maybe she would leave Zeltiva altogether, who knew?

OOC :
Sorry guys but I'm out, this just seems to be going off course, but it was fun while it lasted :)
Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Seran on August 17th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Enthere stalked off and Seran paused. Why was she leaving? He shook his head and returned to The Grotto. He saw a couple sympathetic looks from around and wondered why more people weren't mad. Then he realized he had chased one woman out of the inn while being chased by another. He shook his head and thumped back down in the chair he'd left not long ago. My father's sword, I will get it back. But I think I need to take stock of my situation. Seran ordered some food and chewed both literally and metaphorically on how he carried himself. Of course, Kelvics tend to be different from most people.

Seran also remembered vividly his pang of longing for something. More than the reason why, he recalled the strength of the emotion. Perhaps he should try to find out what it was he wanted. His father had once told him of Wind Reach, a place in Kalea filled with giant falcons who were ridden by red-haired folk. Since that day his father had told him of Wind Reach, he had always wanted to go. With a new sense of purpose, Seran set down his utensils and and paid for his meal. His first encounter with his kind had been a very rocky start, but the whole world was before him. Wind Reach, one day I will fly with your falcons!

Seran dropped his bundle of clothing by Sol and shifted. As he dressed, he recognized he wouldn't quite leave for Kalea just yet. After all, he had spotted Black on the way back who still had his sword. He decided he would need to get it back one way or another. The road to Kalea won't be safe, not entirely. "Black, I'm coming for you."
Last edited by Seran on September 13th, 2014, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seran

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

PreviousNext