Plotnotes

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This forum is an OOC forum for PCS and Organizations to work out plans in hardcopy. Each PC or Organization gets a single thread where their players can help work out plans for their PC. Quests, mini-sagas, and Trips can all be organized here as well working out timelines and points of travel and things PCs need to do along the way. Each PC however gets only one Plotnote for their individual PC. Groups get one as well. There is no limit on individuals posting saga or trip plotnote threads. Please denote [PC Plotnotes] or [Group Plotnotes] or [Quest/Trip/Saga Plotnotes] when titling your threads.

Plotnotes

Postby Kyo on July 22nd, 2013, 7:19 am

Goal:
Figure out which city to join.

First up to bat-- Riverfall
Go to...
Door of Mysteries!
Dreamlord's Tower?
Either of the Menageries?
Inner Eye (divination)
Waterpark
The Sanctuary-- Striders (Neeka?)
Do the Seasonal Challenge and try to get the Riverfall Medal?
Also, whatever crazy plot stuff Goss has got planned!
*would Kyo know how to use stairs in coyote form? There are a lot of stairs in Riverfall...
*searches every building as if his boy might be hidden away within
*being in a city/civilization might bring distant memories that excite/upset him

Aging System:
Kyo (coyote) math
where H = # of human years and
K = # of kelvic (or animal, in this case coyote) years

Average human lifespan-- H = 60
Average human age of maturation-- H = 12 (sexual maturity, not adulthood)
Average coyote lifespan-- H = 16* (note: could possibly live longer; coyotes can live to be H = 20)
Average coyote age of maturation-- H = 2

Age equations
Before maturation--
K = m(H)
where m = 6.000 and
0 ≤ H ≤ 2

After maturation--
K = n(H - 2) + 12
where n = 24/7
2 < H ≤ 16

So...
For the first two years of his life he will age quickly, with a ratio of 1 human : 6 coyote years.
Following that, the ratio will drop, and remain steady for the rest of his life. 1 human : 24/7 [decimal approx. 3.492] coyote years.
Note: Each season after maturity will be 6/7 [decimal approx. 0.857] human years
ex--
At 1 year old, his human form will appear 6 years old.
At 2 years old, his human form will appear 12 years old.
At 3 years old, his human form will appear approx. 15 years old.
At 4 years old, his human form will appear approx. 19 years old.
At 5 years old, his human form will appear approx. 22 years old.
Etc.
Last edited by Kyo on March 19th, 2015, 6:14 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Kyo
--

Words: 328278
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2013, 6:41 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Plotnotes

Postby Kyo on August 15th, 2014, 3:09 am

Vocabulary (words he's used and any related thoughts):
*knows to add -ing to appropriate words, esp. verbs
*knows to add -s to the end of words to signify a plural
*knows some contractions (like I'll)

Note: Any names Kyo knows are spoken the same in every language, and so have no specific 'color'-- they take on the 'color' of the words surrounding/attached to them.

a & an
alive
all
allowed
and
animal
another
Amunet
any
anyone
are
arrow
auristics
Avanthal
bad
be
behind
belong
big
bird
Blackwater(s)
bow
boss
boy
brave
broken
burn
but
Caelum
can't & can
canvas
capture(d)
care
change
children
city
clean
clothes
cold
come
condition
conversation
coyote(s)
crawl
cut
danger
did
different
djed
do
dog(s)
don't
draw
Dravite
Drykas
eat
far
fear
feathers
find
fire-- *Kyo may believe that there are two types of fire, good-fire and bad-fire, though he is wary of both
fish
flint
for
form(s)
free
freeze
friend
from
gardens
gates
gear
go
good
great
had & have
happened
head
help(s) & helping
he & her
here & hear
hikes
him
hold
home
horse
how
hunt
hurt & hurts
I & I'm
if
in
interest
is
it, it's, & its
Kaie
Kaitanu & Kai
Kelvic
kick
knee
know
Kyo
lake
language
larger
live
look
Löwe
magic
make
me & my
Merevaika
more
mother
Mouse
much
Myrian
name
need
no
now
oasis
on
only
or
orphanage
other(s)
out
outside
paradise
Pearl
place(s)
people
person
privacy
pup
ram
Ramsay
ready
rest
ride
river
rib
room
rope
Ruari
rules
safe
screen
scroll
seen & see
set
Shai
shape(s)
shelter
shift
Sianya
sleep
slow
small
smile
snow
so
soon
sorry
spark
speak
stay
steel
stop
strong
Strider
Sunshadow
Tachi
Tarik
tent
the
them & they
there
thing(s)
this
Thomas
to & too
trouble
trust
try
up
Vani
Voss
walk
want
warm
was
wash
water
we
welcome
wet
what
where
why
will
with
word(s)
worry
yes
you
yvas
Zyd

Pseudo-terms (italics indicate he has not learned the words to say aloud):
bad-burn; black-flesh *a burn by a fire, red- or black-skin, hurt
bad-fire *a type of fire that will burn you, or cause forest fires, or other badness
bad-spark *makes bad-fire, the type that will burn you if you touch it
burning-man *male Synaefal
dark-eyes or dark-eyes-people or no-light-eyes *slaves
good-fire; live-fire *the other type of fire, this one is one you breathe to life, and as such it works as part of your intent, and will not burn you
good-spark; live-spark; warm-spark; not-cold spark *one of two types of sparks that Kyo believes exist: this type of spark you breathe on to give it life, and because you do that it turns into good fire, incapable of burning you
green-clothes *a member of the Dryas Emerald Clan
horse-language, hand-language or tent-speak[b] *Pavi (grassland sign)
hot-lights; burn-lights; bad-lights *fire, flames
holding-thing *a backpack or some other [cloth] container for carrying things, like a quiver for arrows
look-call *body language, communication through sight, expression, posture, etc.
make-games; not-there *pretend; imaginary
pisser *someone he doesn't like, and perhaps strangers [used for Fall 514 AV season challenge]
plain-language *Common
quick-light, gone-light; spark-light *spark, as from a flint and steel
quick-light-makers *flint and steel
scent-call *communication through scents
sharp-ended glinting stick; sharp-stick *arrow
silver-thing *a tin, or other silver container
sound-call *a name or word
sun-man or sun-girl or sun-being *Synaefal
[b]tent-city
*Endrykas
tent-people *Drykas

--- --- ---

Note: Kyo has begun remembering words in Vani, and will likely use them to supplement his Common. He knows enough to speak basic Vani. Though he began learning Common before Vani, he is more skilled at Vani and considers it his native language.

From the Lore:
The Vantha speak Vani, a musical lyrical language designed for storytelling and singing. It is said that a simple, sad song written in Common and translated to Vani can go from an interesting, moving piece to a subtle, heart-wrenching ballad. Vani is ideal for storytelling, both epic and simple. It is said that the Vantha is the only race that can take a single-syllable word and turn it into an lengthy, fluid paragraph.

I portray Vani as a highly-specific language, with many words (or combinations of words) giving each sentence an exact meaning. Likely there are multiple variations of every given word, each with its own connotation and use-- like how the Inuit add suffixes to create original compound words, phrases, sentences. I'll figure out how to RP the difference between Vani and Common IC.

Also I was going to do another dictionary, but I'm just gonna wing it with the Vani. He knows it basically, not fluently, so he won't know more complex words but probably understands sentence structure and simple vocab, that sort of thing. Maybe I could keep a list of descriptors he knows, to shorten his vocab.

EDIT: Okay, example Vani-- "I'm a friend{no-harm, safe}. I will not hurt you{you-good, friend}. I'm... don't-know-where, lost{confused}, hurting{bad}."
{ } are used to add descriptors to the end (or beginning?) of a word to add meaning and connotation. When Kyo says friend{no-harm, safe} he means to imply a sense of safety to the word 'friend', doubly enforcing his meaning. Think of the words in { } as qualifiers. They add specificity.

This is probably why Kyo tends to hyphenate related (or even unrelated) words in Common: it adds a 'Vani' feel to how he speaks, almost like an accent.

{all}
{bad}
{bonded}
{brother}
{confused}
{easy}
{ever}
{friend}
{good}
{help}
{how}
{hurt}
{much}
{no-harm}
{please}
{question}
{safe}
{small}
{things}
{you}
*for even more exactness, hyphenation within the { } can determine the subject of the descriptor (ex: you-friend, I-friend, he-friend, Kyo-friend)

--- --- ---

Note: Kyo picked up very few words in Tukant (while in Riverfall).

Tukant I'm still figuring out, but it looks like bolded words are those actually pronounced, while unbolded (and within [ ] ) are implied. The word 'hello' then could have many different meanings depending on the words within [ ]. Mostly, I think I will use [ ] to indicate recognition of status or formality (either formal or informal), and maybe family-ties (blood-ties) between individuals. I imagine Akalak to be conscious of their standing at all times, and to respect that standing within their language. [ ] Will also be used, likely, to add additional meaning to verbs, as summarized in the excerpt below.

From the Lore:
While most Akalak speak common fairly well, they do indeed have their own language. Tukant, as it is called, is an agglutinative language, in which words, especially verbs, tend to be quite complex with several morphemes strung together. It is difficult for outsiders to learn, though long-lived races that generally have the time and patience can indeed learn it. Unlike some languages, like Kontinese, that can take a large paragraph in Common and condense it down into a one-sylable word, Tukant does just the opposite. A simple phrase or sentence in Common will sound incredibly drawn out and complex in Tukant.

Hello [formal, recognition of status] *Kyo learned to say 'hello' in Tukant from watching the Akalak interact with each other; this variant was given as the most common greeting between meeting groups. Likely this version would be considered socially abnormal (even offensive?) in Riverfall if Kyo himself used it towards another person, considering the slave/pet/animal status of Kelvics there.

--- --- ---

From the Lore:
The Drykas speak a language called Pavi. Outsiders swear their animals understand this language as well. Common is not uncommon to be heard spoken throughout Drykas encampments as well. Pavi is a very visual language, having verbal portions and a great deal of vocabulary that is gestured. For that reason the non-verbal portion of Pavi is often called Grassland Sign. Outsiders find Pavi very difficult to learn because the whole of the language of Pavi includes both the gestured and spoken parts. To say something in Pavi, one often accompanies the spoken form of the language with a gesture. For example, "I love you." spoken in Pavi might be accompanied by the sign for affection or the sign for anger, worry, frustration, etc thus changing the meaning of the words spoken. Whole conversations between hunters can often take place in grassland sign, but it is definitely a shorthand emotional emphasis type of signing and can not mimic whole sentences.

The first things Kyo will be learning will be short spoken commands in Pavi (and maybe signs) used for commanding herd dogs. Also, a bit about the Drykas and various simple vocab. Ramsay's teachings will focus on simple spoken words (maybe a few emotion-oriented signs), but nothing more difficult at first.

Kyo mostly understands the words below, but may not be able to speak them yet.

big(?) *confused with strong (someone said strong, and he thought it meant big)

mean
right
tell(?)

want

horse
your(?)

Kyo understands and can speak/sign the words below. The words that Ramsay has focused on in his teaching thus far are the basics. Mainly, words/signs for etiquette (like thanks, I'm sorry, and hello), various emotions to augment his speech (happy, sad, etc.), emergency words (help, hurry), herding terms (commands like come and stay), and relationship words (family, brother, sister, etc.).

Ankal
bond
come
dogs
have
help
her
horse
hurry
I
leave
listen
look
man
me & my
more
name
pavilion
please
ride
run
scared
show
sorry
Strider
thank you
& thanks
that
to
train(?)
*confused somewhat with work
try
way
what
you

anger
brother
calm
exciting
fear
friend
go
greeting
happy
hello
help
hope
hungry
no
please
relief
sad
sister
sorry
stay
thanks
welcome
yes
you
Last edited by Kyo on January 21st, 2016, 5:11 am, edited 71 times in total.
Kyo
--

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Plotnotes

Postby Kyo on August 20th, 2014, 6:36 am

Spring 515 plotnotes--

Interested in:
Caves/spelunking (think: caves where Drykas lived underground during the Valterrian, with the glowing mushrooms and such. [Could ask about glowing Strider-- see what info that yields]).
And also just exploring in general.
Find someone to teach him some simple math (so he can use the moneys).

Archery (different than the type of 'fighting-hunting' he is accustomed to, close-up with teeth and claws. This is something you... throw? Or that is thrown for you?)

Reimancy/other magic? (like... what. What is that.)

...and pretty much any novelty that contradicts life in the wilds. Ex: riding horses (Kyo, riding a fellow animal?), human languages (so unlike animal language!), creating art (what is the point of this? to look... pretty?), etc.

Perhaps:
Get a horse (Strider?)
Work towards Divination or Dreamwalking (very very difficult challenge for Kyo, but he'll be plenty determined), though I doubt most gods would mark such a cute little simpleton, ah well. ^_^'
Last edited by Kyo on March 19th, 2015, 11:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kyo
--

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Plotnotes

Postby Kyo on August 23rd, 2014, 4:08 am

Possible memories (mentioned in posts/CS):
Traveling with caravan/separation
Finding his mate
Finding his dog-pups
Raising/Teaching his dog-pups (a hunting thread, a fishing thread, other skill threads, etc.)
Forest fire
'Scarring' threads/adventures (like with porcupine needles to the snout, close brushes with hunters, etc.)
Depression/confusion/sickness threads, possibly including memories of bond-life
Chasing mountain lion up the tree/scaling a mountain
Kyo
--

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Plotnotes

Postby Kyo on September 2nd, 2014, 12:26 am

Fall 514 RF plotnotes--
Within the city:
Amicable curiosity --> Spiteful disinterest
Natural self-confidence --> Tearing doubt
Fearlessness --> Extreme caution/nervousness (jumpy, twitchy, fearful)
Mourning, lonely sadness --> Happiness (confusing, conflicting joy)
((hugging the walls, no touching, angry words, attacking?, guilt guilt guilt
so... brusqueness, very direct and to the point, very focused, extremely unempathetic...
he won't want to leave and he'll be frustrated, so frustrated
BIG ONE HERE... others will likely repel him))

Questions:
What are the boundaries to the 'darkness'? (ex: How far out into the Suvan does it extend? How far out of the city gates? Or not at all? Will he be safe outside?)
ANSWER-- A circle with 5 miles radius on every side of the city.

Does it affect animals within the city, or only people?
ANSWER-- Yes, it affects any sentient (thinking) creature. Like his dogs. So if Kyo tried to get a horse, which he can't do now that I've cashed in his housing anyways, it would be difficult to choose an appropriately compatible one.

EDIT: Wow, the more I think about this the more things change!
Kyo will now prefer human form, rather than coyote. He will now be VERY modest, and want to keep clothed. He'll be self-conscious about his inability to communicate, and any other shortcomings which he would have typically brushed off. At the same time, he could be very cruel towards others for THEIR shortcomings. ALSO at the same time, he'll have loads more self control than usual. An interesting dynamic.

Okay, I figured that out. Combining his new dislike for others and their faults along with the timidness that he'll also receive and he should have some very nasty thoughts brewing along inside him, but he won't likely use them to put others down (afraid of a beating, he is).
So pretty much he's going to be a dick with no balls. Haha.

Other thoughts:
Hunting could be hard for him, within the city limits (hopefully not outside).

All in all, Kyo will have the same motivations/goals (finding his boy, learning new skills, earning some cash?) but a very very different approach.

EDIT: Just to summarize (and also adding this due to Goss' newest clarifying announcement), Kyo will be more civilized (modest, respectful of personal space, self-disciplined), anxious (fearful of new experiences and people, socially nervous?), and perhaps a little testy/grumpy (blaming others/self for his troubles, noticing people's faults where he usually would have simply taken an automatic shine, distrustful, etc.).

He'll retain his curiosity, but will probably be less likely to act on it. He'll continue searching for his boy and working on whatever other season goals he has, and will possibly be more direct when approaching said goals, and less likely to wander from his task or become distracted.

Sister will be more outgoing and friendly, the take-around pup, more submissive to attention and willing to cooperate. Brother will be a snarling brat, even to Kyo. He'll probably have to be kept away from other people, and will oppose living in the city. So they sorta flip-flop personalities.

Riverfall Challenge:
Kill Something or Someone [hunting in Menagerie with the sucky bow and arrow; also, just plain hunting threads]
Scream Something In Thread [as he rides the waterfall no waterfall; so in grass fire thread, he can scream for Sister]
Experience A Strong Negative Emotion (Greed/Jealously/etc) [FEAR in The Road Ahead]
Go On Vacation Before Winter [Does any trip count as a vacation? Would the Door of Mysteries count?] [Probably not... so perhaps go to Oasis when it gets approved]

Start A Fight [this could be a prelude to the waterfall thread (if doing that wouldn't kill poor Kyo); he could start the fight (try to steal something, a real bow?), get in some Hand to Hand with his sucky human fighting skills, get knocked around (and then possibly chased by the authorities), and see the waterfall as a means of daring escape hahaha-- what a nut. So this would combine the pink threads and the darker green threads into one big swoop.]
Participate In A Holiday/Festival
Get Into Hand To Hand Combat Using Unarmed or Brawl In A Thread
Kiss Someone/Something (Puppies Count) [game with Lynx?]

Build Something With Your Own Hands (Kite, Widget, Well, etc) [haha, a sucky bow and arrow!]
Do Something Daring And Contrary To Your Nature In Public [waterfall riding? maybe jump into the Oasis lake]
Have A Tangle/Run-In With Law Enforcement
Use An Annoying Phrase Or Swear Throughout Multiple Threads Obnoxiously [EDIT: settled on pisser, used in the Forivec Coup, iii: a sanctuary.]

[I needs a good swear/phrase... make one up, something Kyo would use to describe other people negatively?

Yellow-belly. Not made up, but pretty good nonetheless.
Dogs in submission sometimes roll on their backs. In this position, some of them urinate (in deference? in fear? I don't know-- whatever reason, it's negative and is meant to expose the genitals). Hence, yellowbelly could be a meaningful insult for a canine. In Kyo's case, it could refer to anyone with any fault, including himself, and how they should roll over due to their vast imperfection. A sort of "you'll never ever EVER be good enough" or "you repel me" sort of insult. Will use it towards just about anyone because of how despicable he feels the city is, and how he is convinced that somehow it (or the people?) have taken his boy away, or is otherwise stopping him from getting his boy.

Skipping through, 'dastard' is another good one and means practically the same thing and sounds cool.

Caitiff is another. Go thesaurus.com!

But might just stick with yellow-belly.
EDIT: Or, deriving from that, pissers. Yes, that's just about perfect for the coyote.
And I just read in a book the word 'nipper'. Not used derogatorily, but in this case it could be.]

Other (possible) ideas (include in threads or do research):
Getting Sister into the city before the wildfire burns off her doggy ass
Planting trees/stuff about trees (are there trees around Riverfall? Around the Bluevein?-- has to do with Phylonura if Kyo gets that)
More lore stuff OOC; ask about lake and res and do research and whatever because that would be pretty awesome [CHECK-- waiting on approval]
And on that same topic if the waterfall thing goes through, then maybe make a game/sport out of it...? DENIED.
Kyo
--

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Plotnotes

Postby Kyo on April 19th, 2015, 5:04 pm

HUNTING
Riverfall links:
The Stained Pelt
Kyloe's Butcher Shop
Zhongjie Warren (the bazaar)

CYPHRUS REGION ANIMALS (temperate grasslands, steppe)
Prong-horned antelope
Useful Info: A male antelope weighs an average of 110 lbs, while females weigh around 80.

Prairie dogs (ground squirrels)
Useful Info: One person said they come out of their burrows starting in the late morning and stay out for a few hours (9 - 12 or some similar combination), before returning out again for a while before the sun sets (depending on the time of year). Another person said they get up earlier (think 7ish).

Deer
Useful Info: Saw some videos of deer-hunting by packs of coyotes (as little as two coyotes can kill a good-sized whitetail, mainly by nipping at its back legs/rump and wearing it down until it's too weak to get away) and by humans (archery). In the archery videos, when a deer was shot it commonly bucked and ran for quite a while. The kills were not instantaneous, even when wounded with a kill shot.

P.S. Tribal listed some (or most?) of the animals typically seen in the Grass. Link.
Last edited by Kyo on December 15th, 2015, 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kyo
--

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Plotnotes

Postby Kyo on October 18th, 2015, 7:22 pm

Plots-- Edit more later?

slavers
boy and strider (veheel)-- past lives info/ideas
strider
lowe and blackwaters
growing pack of dogs (new breeds?)
animals (non-striders) and webbing
training herd animals to lead
strider daughter and morwen no longer interested
caiyha (a mother's son?)
capturing animals for sunshadow (and sunshadow's demise? or redemption?)
training for watch/become drykas
incorporate elements of vantha culture into drykas stuff?
Last edited by Kyo on January 7th, 2016, 3:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kyo
--

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Plotnotes

Postby Kyo on December 28th, 2015, 2:08 am

Plots WINTER 515 AV

learn some about Sky, begin to earn her trust
maybe the same with Merevaika, do whatever she says (chores, help hunt, help train Tachi, etc.)
get to know Löwe and the other Blackwaters? thread at least once with Kai, Dravite, Pearl
ask mods about Strider-daughter. get information/checklist no longer applicable
capture 2(?) animals for sunshadow? as job threads??? ask about that too
begin to learn herding/teach Pack herding in earnest
learn at least a few points in one 'drykas' skill (ie riding, hunting, or some sort of weapon, or some random handy skill like sewing)
get interested in fishing and maybe trapping?
do a Calendar thread or plot something relevant to Kyo for some players to do together (maybe something to help other people, an aid/favor system for those short-handed?)
learn a bit about either Morwen or Caiyha?
learn some reading, language, math, or numbers
finish Fall teach-dogs-herding-fail thread DONE
help out the struggling family
Kyo
--

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes