OOC Info [OOC Thread] Moving with the Herd

This is Endrykas' OOC thread. Feel free to use it for any sort of chatter

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Endrykas' Development Forum. Any and all OOC discussions, development projects, and silliness are contained within.

[OOC thread] Moving with the Herd

Postby Tribal on October 27th, 2015, 6:33 pm

For navigating the lore you sometimes need to have the spelling perfect to get a hit. Go ahead and type 'Spearback' into the lore exactly like that and at the top of the page it will have a link to the monster directory. You mentioned Grass Bears and Nightlions though which can only be found in the Riverfall fauna list. If you type Riverfall into the lore and scroll right down to the bottom it will show you the link. I think you'll get a real kick out of the house cats with wings.

The webbing is invisible, which I believe you already know. It's just lines of tightly spun djed and like a spiders web, think of the web Mage as a spider, he knows when someone is touching his handy work.

Dogs and cats are probably the best bet for rats and mice, I would say there is a mix of storage methods depending on how they want to keep the food. The ground works as too does simple tent storage or maybe even trees in summer. They have drying racks, etc. I will check the Drykas lore and see if food needs its own section.

A resin is rubbed into the fabric of the tents that keeps them water tight and protects them from the wind. I'd say there are also a number of types used, but feel like this is mention somewhere. Tents don't last forever and it's safe to say they spend the summer making repairs or replacements when they need to, but for the most part they're hardy and a new one will go a couple of summers without issue.

Of anything I'd say the wind isn't so much an issue as the design of the tents will fight that (for a large pavilion tent, the ones that cost 50gm, think of the Arabian desert people whose tents are large enough to house even their animals. Drykas have whole areas of their tents dedicated to keeping their animals from the weather.

If anything is goin to be an issue I'd say it would be a lot of heavy snow fall. If the Drykas aren't keeping on top of removing the snow from the tops and maybe even sides of the tent they will start to see structure problems.

Yes the Drykas move during the season, just like a farmer moves his cattle to different pastures, the Drykas have to keep their large herds on the move so that they can graze down the tall grass but not stay anywhere long enough that it scars the land to the point where the earth would struggle to recover. If you look at the map of the fall grounds for example, there are two small cities near the coast. They might start camping closer to one at the beginning of the season and end up closer to the season by the end of it. Is would say there are at least two or three shifts that take place; people don't really tend to mention this, some of the smaller pavilions might only make one shot, but for the clans who all own a lot of Zibri and Striders, they need to move to survive and a lot of people follow them for security.

If I missed anything just give me a poke.
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Words: 242363
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2015, 11:43 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes

Postby Tribal on October 27th, 2015, 9:00 pm

Lian and I had a long chat in PM about animal morphs and he came up with a really cool idea for a mountain lion that had a chameleon-like ability to change the colour of its coat to match its surroundings and that the coat could be skinned and preserved only by a master tanner to keep the qualities of the pelt intact.

So I went away and had a little think about it, I knew I liked the idea but there had to be something more, otherwise every hunter and his dog would be out after these things for their coats. So I was watching Animal Planet last night while I was eating dinner (as you do) and it had a little doco on a bird I've never seen before called the lammergeier whose stomach acid is so powerful it can break down bone (and I'm talking big bones here!).

I couldn't help but feel inspired after what Lian and I had spoken about and thought, why not combined the three, a mountain lion with a chameleon coat, who can glide (but not fly as its body is too heavy), and spits acid that melts skin, breaks down flesh, and corrodes bone; that way, even though it's not a massive threat (unlike a Glassbeak, this would rather run away from you than run after you), but gives you almost zero reason to want to get close to it (other than the kick-ass pelt you would have to pay far too much money to get tanned).

I had a play in PhotoShop (and a good laugh), and came up with this. I challenge anyone (sitewide, not just my Endrykas players) to do a far better job than me at a morph because I am terrible at them, but for a giggle, here is my best go of it.

And for the whole picture click here.

Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Office
Plotnotes

Postby Tribal on October 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

U P D A T E
L O C A T I O N

Namak Springs

Been working on this location for a while in my head and finally put pen to paper. As all of my work this is a work in progress and subject to change, but feel free to check it out and give me some feedback or if you have anything you might like to see added I would love to hear that too!
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Office
Plotnotes

Postby Kyo on October 27th, 2015, 11:08 pm

Since we're on the topic of animals or whatever, I was just thinking it would be cool to have animals that have more to do with magic, since that's the big difference between our world and Miz.

Anyways, I know there are large animals that can use leeching (some monsters and even Striders to an extent) so I was wondering... what about like a 'plague' of small critters (maybe even locusts) that can gnaw at the web and the landscape and generally mess things up?

Because I mean I think the Drykas have it way too easy already. |:)

Maybe the 'plague' comes once every certain number of years, or has dormant periods or something.

Kyo
--

Words: 328278
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2013, 6:41 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tribal on October 27th, 2015, 11:26 pm

I actually really like that idea. That idea is exciting and fresh, I wouldn't mind using it this winter as a set up for a huge plot I already have planned and hinted at in Caiyha's Tears. Thank you, Kyo!
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Office
Plotnotes

Postby Amunet on October 28th, 2015, 12:23 am

its like a little gryphon. Its cute.
Amunet
**The Healer** There has to be a better way!

Words: 565239
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2015, 3:30 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Pearl on October 28th, 2015, 12:34 am

Life is just a little hectic at the moment. I have a huge fundraiser coming up the first 2 weeks in November, that takes up a large amount of my time (i.e. from 8am until midnight every night) so writing may be sporadic through this time.

Please bear with me, during this time and I promise I will work hard to get my posts in as timely as possible. I have a lot of catching up to do, so I'll be working on that between now and the first week of November. And hopefully, I'll be able to sneak in a few grades as well.

I'm truly sorry for any inconvenience this may cause any of you and I promise I will try and get back on track as soon as I am able.
Pearl
Doctor at The River Flower

Words: 219351
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2015, 5:29 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Zephari on October 28th, 2015, 1:10 am

I second Kyo's idea, because there does seem to be a lack of love for the small invertebrates within mizahar.

If the sea of grass really is closer to the american midwest, then there is one insect that should absolutely be present: Ants. If there is any similarity between the sea of grass and Idaho/Montana/Colorado(the flat part) then red ants would be a real problem. You step one of of their mounds, and you spend half a week in bed itching your skin off.
Zephari
The Collector

Words: 107646
Joined roleplay: February 22nd, 2015, 7:27 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Lian Windrunner on October 28th, 2015, 2:08 am

I like the mountain lion morphs you came up with. They are very gryphony...but I love gryphons. XD

The ant/locust plague idea sounds intriguing, too!
Lian Windrunner
Player

Words: 434725
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2013, 12:58 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kaitanu on October 28th, 2015, 3:34 am

I am so loving everyone's ideas for animal morphs! I love the spitting acid bird lion thing...gryphon? And the plague of web-eating locusts. Plus, how to explain what they're doing to non-webbers who don't know about the Web? If they're only eating the Web itself it might look like they're just flying around doing no harm, but all the Ankals and those in the know are panicking. Anyway, I am loving all these wonderful ideas! If my vote counts for anything I say they should be included in the fauna section, once they've had the proper development. (I'll try to think of some as well, if I can.)

Also, thanks Tribal for answering my questions! I really appreciate it :D
Common- Fluent
Pavi "spoken" and signed- Basic
Equine Language- Fluent
Kaitanu
A Shattered Vessel Holds Nothing

Words: 218710
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2014, 6:28 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook