Closed Docking in Riverfall (Shaeya)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Docking in Riverfall (Shaeya)

Postby Evalin on September 24th, 2014, 6:24 pm

53rd of Fall, 514 AV

"Thisss trunk isss too heavy witch. What did you bring?" The large man said loudly. On his shoulder was rested a medium sized trunk, certainly not small but clearly not as heavy as he was making it out to be. For a man his size it was almost absurd to Evalin that he would complain. The men that surrounded them both, however, made even the Dhani in human form seem small.

Evalin was not used to this place, having only passed through briefly many seasons ago. The Akalak were too huge in her opinion, giants that looked down upon her. Perhaps if she had not worn her child body this day things would be different. Looking as she did, however, made many things easier in the long run, so for now she would abide it.

"Cease your complaints fool, and simply follow. Your voice begins to annoy me."

Gresshal hissed in annoyance but did not say anything in retort, following after the child-like Eva as she made her way to exit the Docks. When they finally stepped off the planks onto the solid ground of Riverfall itself Evalin would stop them with a raised hand, her black cloak swishing around her as she pushed back her hood to reveal straight black hair that fell over her shoulders. Blood red eyes stared out of a child's features, deathly pale and dark rings under her eyes. Leaning on her intricately carved staff Evalin looked about herself, observing the city in Syna's light as she gently brushed her fingers over the gem at her neck, "Now then... Where should we go?"

Dropping the chest on the ground Gresshal sat on its lid, running his fingers through his short hair to look around at the confusing mess of streets and bodies, "Like I know... Thisss petching place isss is too big."
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sheaya on September 25th, 2014, 10:15 pm

Sheaya still wasn't sure why she was exploring the docks today as she wondered past rough looking men who tended their ships. It was a busy area as most parts of the city were with crates were lifted and barrels rolled about. The Benshira did her best to make herself as small as possible as she didn't want to draw too much attention to herself as she searched the faces of the sea dwellers. Her hopes for making it home were still strong, and she hoped for nothing more then to find the tanned skin and bright eyes of a fellow Benshira who might be returning to their desert home by ship. It was a hopeful thought that she was holding onto as she searched the area, but as the few other times she had done this, she was finding none of her own people nor hearing a familiar tongue aside from the loud chattering of common that was a constant roar.

With a sigh of disappointment as she checked around the new ships that had docked she tugged her shawl closer around her body in hopes to block out the growing chill in the air. She still wasn't use to the weather of this region, it was far too cold for just a fall season and she was already dreading winter as it loomed around the corner. She could already feel her bones aching from just the thought as she shivered.

"I shouldn't have came here." She thought out loud to herself here as she started to turn to leave, heading back towards the exit of the dock, deciding she would just head back to the inn she was staying at and warm herself in front of the fire and find something useful to do with her hands.

She followed the boardwalk behind two figures she hardly bothered to pay attention to, as she had no reason to. One was of a taller man with a trunk and the other one was short and cloaked, but that was about as much as Shea noticed as she hurried to rejoin the bustle of the city in hopes it would be warmer. She was almost on solid ground once more when the two figures ahead of her stopped in her way and the cloaked one started to lower their hood. She almost walked around the two, but she found herself staring at what she now realized was a girl. At first she froze because of the dark hair as it reminded her of the kids from home and for a moment she wondered if they were Benshira, but it only took a flash of the pale skin to make her realize that this wasn't a fellow sun kisses desert dweller. She should have kept walking at that point, but the more she stared the more she found herself mesmerized by the appearance of the child. The dark circles under her eyes didn't seem to be as startling as the red eyes which sat her hair on edge.

What kind of child has eyes like that? Have I ever heard of a being with such red eyes? She asked herself as she hugged her shawl closer to her body as she mentally went through the short list of races she knew of that she had been taught growing up. The one big disadvantage she had learned in her time being here in Riverfall was that she was not as street savvy as she could have hoped for in knowing about all these different people that walked the land. She had only heard of a handful around the campfires of the tents, mostly stories that were meant to warn the boys to not fall for the seduction of some of the fairer female races that would lead to destruction or to terrify the girls with the savagery of the more animalistic races that were painted to kill if provoked.

She started to walk around them and past back into the throng of the city, but their voices carried and once more made her stop. She stared at the ground as she mulled over their words, realizing that they didn't know what they were doing here or what they were looking at and she could recall her own confusion when she had first entered the city. She had felt this place was so large and she felt so small in this place. She could only imagine how this felt to a child to be here with her apparent guardian having no better of an idea what they were doing there.

"Excuse me," She started as she turned around, to face the man and child, taking a cautious step towards them. "I am not trying to be rude by listening to your words, but are you lost here?" As usual her wording was unusual in common. She was getting more familiar with the tongue, but it still felt strange on her tongue and she found she could not speak the words as quickly as she did Shiber as the language just didn't have the same flow.
"If you do not know Riverfall I can help, It is a big place but I will help you if you need it." She found herself surprised by her own offer as she didn't make it a habit of approaching strangers like this, but she felt she couldn't leave a child alone in a place like this, not when it was so busy and disjointed.

Shiber - Fluent
Common - Basic knowledge/shaky at best
Arumenic - Poor/bits and pieces
Sheaya
Player

Words: 58448
Joined roleplay: September 5th, 2014, 7:12 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Power Fork (1)

Postby Evalin on September 26th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Date

"You are useless..." Evalin sighed and passed her hand before her eyes, resting fingers against her forehead as she stared between her splayed fingers, "For one such as I to be without direction or purpose is tragic to say the least..."

She tapped her staff on the ground a couple times, lost in thought as she began to decide what it was she wished to do... that is until her quiet contemplation was interrupted by someone. Lowering her hand Evailn raised an eyebrow, tilting her head to look at the woman with interest. Long hair, very long hair and a dark complexion. Someone from the more southern edges of Mizahar perhaps? And her eyes, a beautiful green color. She was young, and it made Evalin's smile slowly when she felt the craving for blood begin to surface.

Gresshal looked sideways at Evalin and rubbed the back of his neck, turning his attention to the girl, "Lissten girl...

Evalin's staff cracked against his shoulder with sudden speed, making the Dhani hiss and turn to glare at Evalin who merely raised a hand to silence him. The Immortal leaned on her staff then and smiled up at Shaeya, "You are kind to offer us your assistance child, and we do graciously accept."

"The petch did you hit me for you little ssshyke?" Gresshal grumbled, rubbing his shoulder with a not so pleased expression on his features. Evalin however completely ignored her servant, her attention fully captured by the woman, "We seek lodging here, an inn perhaps. Then, once our need for shelter is settled perhaps you would do us the honor of leading us on a tour of your fair city?"

Evalin stepped closer, looking up at the Benshira with her unblinking red eyes, and there a hunger began to stir as she absently played with the gem that hung from her neck, "Would you be so kind as to do us this service little one?"
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Sheaya on September 26th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Sheaya's eyes flicked between the man and child, having not caught on to his race and the reason for his dialog. There were Dhani in the desert she called home, but they were one of the races she had never had the pleasure of meeting as far as she was aware. His drawn out 'S' sounds were very distracting, but almost sounded like some sort of speech impediment, like a stammer which she had heard before. She didn't have to focus long on his manner of speaking long as the eery child addressed her.

There was something unusual about the red eyed girl that went beyond her facial features, it was how she spoke with authority as if she was older then she appeared. Perhaps there was a race that appeared as children but were decades older that she did not know of? She couldn't even recall hearing of any such stories around the fire about such a being, but it still seemed like some sort of possibility at this point as the girl was referring to Shea as a child.

"Think nothing of it, I don't feel I could be in Yahal's good stance if I turned by back to a child like you." she nodded, lightly throwing in the fact she viewed the black haired girl as a child to see if she would be corrected. She started rubbing her hands over her arms in hope the friction would help her chill, but it was unsure if that was all fault of the weather and her inability to adapt to it yet or the intense stare.

"I can show you to inns." She nodded, "There are even apartments that you can stay in for a good price if you are going to be here long if you don't like the inns." She went on in her disjointed Common, unsure what the girl and companion were looking for. So far from her exploration of Riverfall now that she was a little more accustom to the flow of it she had found that all of the inns were roughly of the same value and that the apartments that were for rent all appeared quite nice from the outside, so she highly doubted quality would be a problem anywhere she lead the two.

The more the girl stared at her, the more the Benshira found herself uneasy. She wasn't quite positive if she had seen her blink quite yet as it seemed that piercing red gaze had remained unbroken. Once more she shivered, making her almost positive this time that it was from how she was being looked at; it almost reminded her of the glowing red eyes sometimes seen in the dark nights in the desert that was the mark of a predator lurking. Regardless she found herself nodding in agreement to the deed, not seeing any real objectionable reason as to why she shouldn't help the strangers in need.
"Of course. I am Sheaya from the tents of Rapa, sons of Basalom and I would be happy to guide you two. I have not yet been here a season, but I will do my best." She was very casual in introducing herself as she would normally as she took a few jingling steps back before turning to lead the way.

Shiber - Fluent
Sheaya
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Evalin on September 26th, 2014, 11:18 pm

"Yahal..." Evalin chuckled, following after Sheaya, "Surely he would bear no good will toward one such as I, child form or no."

Gresshal stood and took up the chest once more upon his shoulder, following after them by a step or two. Evalin would come to try and walk abreast, edging closer to avoid the crowds as they walked, "I have met few of his followers, the latest of which found an early death on the shores of some distant island." She said this conversationally, her eyes already starting to take in the sights as they walked, "An inn for now shall be fine. Perhaps if we stay will be search for more permanent housing." In truth Evalin had little intention of staying in Riverfall, but the future was as of yet unknown.

"You may call me Evalin, and my servant you may call whatever you wish it matters not to me."

The Dhani hissed, "I am Gresshalegessh. Call me Gresshal."

"As I said call him whatever you wish." Evalin said with a dismissive wave. Looking up and sideways at Sheaya the Immortal inspected the girl further, "One such as you I have seen few of, and those that I have met were far to the south within the deserts. Tell me, what has brought you to a place such as this?"
ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Sheaya on September 29th, 2014, 5:27 am

"Child form?" She puzzled out loud in her native tongue, finding it an odd phrasing. Her eyes once more moved to the smallest of their newly formed group and found herself wondering what she was truly if this was not her true shape. Was this perhaps a ghost possessing a body? That was a thing after all from the stories she had grown up on and the first thing that had surfaced to her mind as a Nuit was still far from her mind. Regardless she had the strong understanding now that this was no ordinary child she was dealing with, this was someone that had more then met the eye; a story to their existence that left Sheaya curious, but not enough to ask and pry.

Her heart was heavy to hear of the fate of the fellow believers, wondering if they had at least died in peace with their god. It was hard to think on death of recent days as her family was still weighing on her heart, all she could hope for that those dead that this girl had met, along with her family had found Yahal's good graces in the after life.

"May Yahal look over those fallen then, it's a shame to hear that."She said softly, for a moment wondering if this eery girl had some how had a hand in that early death.
As they started walking the streets Shea lead them pass a blacksmith, staying close to that side of the street as the giant natives passed by. It was an unusual habit she passed by this side of the city, but she adored the wave of heat that seemed to radiate from the furnace it waves as it raged with life within its confines. The slight burn of the smoke that came from within that was ventilated out was well worth it to her as for at least a few moments she felt that comforting wave go through to her bones.

"It is nice to meet you Evalin and Glishhal" It had sounded like she had said. Her pronunciation of Evalin had at least sounded somewhat like it was suppose to, but her instinct to somewhat roll her tongue on top of her accent butchered the Dhani's name. Her brow furrowed after saying his name as she realized it didn't sound the same as when he said it, but she didn't dare try to repeat it again out of fear of making it sound worse.

She once again felt the hairs on the back of her neck standing up once more as she glanced to find those startling red eyes on her. As much as she hated to admit it, she found the stare unnerving and did not like to be stared at by this seemingly young girl. Even worse she was being asked about her reason for being in this city which only left her missing home even more as well as stirring up bad memories.

"Bad faith has lead me here, not choice. I am a guest in this city as I do not plan to stay here longer then I must." Her answer might have sounded cryptic, but it did best describe her feeling for the situation as she honestly felt had the tents faith had been stronger Yahal would have had mercy on them all.

Shiber - Fluent
Sheaya
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Evalin on October 2nd, 2014, 4:29 pm

Evalin's eyes looked into the smithy as they past, glancing over the glimmering bits of metal there that reflected the light of the forge from which they were created. Fire and heat radiated out from this place, much like those flames which sprung from deep within Evalin's own soul when the thoughts of the thing she hated most came to the forefront of her mind. Over time those fires had cooled somewhat, ice creeping slowly to fill her heart instead. This, of course, was thanks to the efforts of Tsenrika the previous spring. It seemed more and more her hatred did not call on heat and flame, but ice and snow.

This place is active, and larger than that which we are used to.

Waken you at last then my dear Tsenrika?

Never was I at rest.

Evalin smiled and turned her eyes forward as they past the blacksmith's shop, playing with the gem at her neck almost lost in thought. Gresshal came up closer behind them then, nodding his head at Shaeya, "It isss nice to meet you."

The Immortal tilted her head and raised an eyebrow at the Dhani, who simply shrugged and looked forward as Evalin turned her attention back to the Benshira, "Perhaps you and I are more similar than I first thought. Bad faith leads us many places, and causes so many interesting encoungers. However, do not let yourself be fooled." She smiled up at Sheaya and raised one finger to wag it at the woman, "Always is it our choice to go and do what we wish, every good and every bad action comes about because we have chosen it. Certainly your 'bad faith' could have turned you toward this direction, but it was by choice that you came here instead of staying and facing whatever evils were there."

The nuit shrugged and looked ahead, "But it matters not to me why you are here. What now is simply is and there is no changing the past. Young ones such as you make such rash decisions without thought and then ask 'why has such befallen me'. Matter it not why, matter it only that you have decided to act as you have."

You have become a proper lecturer.

Perhaps I am getting old...

"I don't give a petch either way what your ssaying. Where isss this damn inn ssso I can put thisss trunk down. It'sss sstarting to get heavy."

"Do not complain." the Dhani instantly ceased his grumbling, "This one will soon enough bring us to where we must be, as she has promised. And then we have the rest of the evening to... explore this fair city." Evalin chuckled and looked around at the city as they walked, still absently fingering the necklace as she clacked her staff against the rocks and stands and, at times, people she passed much like a child would run a stick down the side of a fence as she ran past.

OOCI leave the choice of inn to you ^.^
ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Sheaya on October 5th, 2014, 2:30 pm

Shea lead them farther into the city, heading away from the docks and towards the bridge that would lead them closer to the gate of the city. As this girl had a male companion there was no way she could take her to any of the girl only shelters even though they were helpful when in need of a place, instead she decided to take them to by far the cleanest place she had seen to date known as Arti's Place as it did at least have rooms available.
Shea glanced over to the 'girl' as she brushed her lose hair strands behind her ear. The idea that she had not been the only one lead here because of an angry god was a relief as it meant someone else understood what hardship it was even though she herself; but that relief was only there for a moment as the next moment she was being scolded like a child with words of wisdom far beyond what seemed possible from the lips that spoke them.
Evalin 's words were a clear blow and indeed held a very good point. Perhaps her family she had been traveling with had been the reason she had started this direction, but would it have been reasonable for them to turn abound the moment their numbers had dwindled once entering the Sea of Grass? Yes, it had been Sheaya's decision to stay with the family and continue on to this city, but she would do it again as she did not feel her faith was strong enough to trust Yahal to guide her back through this regions alone back to her home; not with her survival skills as she knew nothing she felt could lead her safely through the lands of this region at least or the weapon skills to protect her.

"Wise words from a mouth one would not expect them from, but I do fear what the result would have been if I had turned around and not came here. There are safety in numbers and I would have had just myself if I had not followed the others here. You are right though, that was my choice."

Shea offered the hissing man a smile as her bright eyes looked up at the trunk, glad they were crossing over the bridge now as it meant it wouldn't be much farther. Thankfully it wasn't too busy at this time of day, but it was as loud as ever as you could hear the river below and the voices that seemed to reverberate off of it.
"Not much farther now, it's just over this bridge. This is a clean place with good rooms, you can rest your belongings there." She pointed to the high walls of the arena ahead as it was the correct direction they were heading for.
"Over there, it's called Arti's Place. Lots of travelers pass by and there is a beautiful park just behind it."

As they came closer, the Benshira glanced down at the girl's form once more as she found her current companion most mysterious to see once again with her hands on a necklace. As she recalled she kept seeing this girl clutching and stroking it almost every time she glanced over. With her attention drawn to it she took the moment to admire it, momentarily wondering if there was a story attached to it as her own jewelry carried.

"Your necklace is beautiful." She commented before staring on head once more.

Shiber - Fluent
Sheaya
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Evalin on October 5th, 2014, 9:23 pm

As they crossed the bridge Evalin neared the edge of it, close to the railing, to look down at the waters below. Her reflection there was mostly obscured as the ripples in the water broke up the image into an indistinguishable blur of shape and color. Moving back from the railing then Evalin looked back at Tsenrika, "There you see? Close are we now so quite your fussing."

But of course Gresshal held his silence, not even looking at Evalin who laughed and shrugged. In truth Evalin had stopped noticing how often she played with the necklace. It had become so common place, a habit that was as natural as it was for a mortal to breath. It gave her focus, something to concentrate on when she was in thought or letting her mind wander. It did however bring a bit too much attention to the sealed familiar than she would have liked, and so she let her hand drop to her side as she said simply, "Try not to say such things overly much, or he will become far too full of himself for me to bear."

How cruel of you to say.

The truth is a cruel thing as is life. Evalin chuckled to herself, and once again absently reaching up to touch the icy gem without a second thought placed upon the action.

Rummaging in one of her pockets Evalin pulled out a small pouch that jingled with shook. Looking back over her shoulder she tossed the pouch to the Dhani, who caught it with his free hand with a frown, "We are close enough now for you to carry on yourself. Purchase a room and remain there until I return. Oh, and do feel free to purchase a meal for yourself. I am certain you need to be fed after our journey." Evalin waved a dismissive hand, ignoring the man now who simply rolled his eyes and walked around them both, pausing only a tick to nod at the Benshira, "Thank you for your assistance." before he began to make his way toward the inn.

"Now," Evalin tapped her staff on the ground and looked up at Sheaya with a smile, "Why don't we go for a stroll. Show me your favorite sites, and let us get to know one another better. I am very eager to gain a new friend in this unfamiliar city."

And my thirst grows stronger as well... though she did not say this, she could not completely hide the hunger from her eyes before she looked away as if to admire the city, indicating with another wave of her hand for Sheaya to take the lead.

"While we walk, why don't you tell me more of yourself and your 'bad faith'. Perhaps there is something I may do to repay you for your kindness thus far."

OOCI am loving this thread haha. Sorry if this post feels a little rushed. It was put up right before I had to get to work. Let me know if I need to edit anything :).
ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Sheaya on October 6th, 2014, 6:03 am

There were many mystries about this girl Sheaya found herself realizing with nearly every word she spoke. Every comment she made, Evalin seemed to complicate the Benshira's thoughts by remarking on something of phrasing it peculiarly so that Shea was left wondering what she meant. Such as she had no idea who the girl was referring to when she stopped her fiddling with her necklace at the comment on it and mentioned that some man would become full of themselves. Her natural reaction was to glance over at who she assumed was being talked about, the man carrying the trunk, but just glancing at him seemed to tell her that was wrong. Feeling just as confused about this as the whole mystery on this girl's true age she shelved the thought as something to possibly check into later as there was a time and a place for everything. Perhaps a conversation later would reveal these mysteries if she didn't later find it necessary to ask or she would catch onto the true meaning from simply observing. There was even a chance that she was just misunderstanding the language entirely or she just didn't understand the dialect she fully realized as a possibility.

Sheaya quietly observed the exchanged between Evalin and Gresshal, finding the relationship most curious. He seemed less more then ever a guardian and was clearly just a hired hand as she could see now. As it was an unusual relationship to see between what looked like a fully grown man and a child, it was clear there was more that met the eye here and she felt confident she would learn the secret behind this child who was not a child. Perhaps this was one of those races that aged much slower then her human flesh.

"Av-berkaven," She nodded to the Dhani at his words directed to her, "Think nothing of it, and may you enjoy your time in Riverfall." She went on to tell him in case she did not run into him again.

It wasn't long until it was just her and the staff wielding girl.

"I will show you anywhere you like and what ever might suit your fancy to the best of my ability, but I am not sure if my interest will strike yours." She couldn't help but chuckle as she walked on to start leading them pass her favorite park where she liked to pray to Yahal, not quite venturing into the whole friend part. Honestly she was a little leery yet of getting too close to this girl as she was still left on edge by the very presence and the piercing eyes. She honestly hoped that by spending some time with Evalin she would learn something about her true character that could dispel this feeling she had as she naturally wanted to be a friendly host.

"I am not sure what to say about the bad faith other then the fact I feel my tent angered Yahal. We were not devout enough, we did not pray as we should have, and we were punished for it. I followed my husband's cousin through the Sea of Grass here, but he did not live to see the walls of this city. I'm afraid I might be the only one of my tent who did survive as I still have not found my cousin and nearly a third of this season has passed." There was a note of sadness in her tone as she recalled the many deaths she had seen in the passing seasons. The number of bodies they had buried had been much too great, and even though she had seen many pass in her life, she had never had so many deaths in simply the span of two seasons. It had been painful to bear witness to and she would die with some peace if she never have to witness such deaths again. Life as a nomad had never been easy, but their crossing to Riverfall had proven to her how deadly leaving lands you were familiar with and knew how to navigate and survive in was a death sentence, and she knew she owed her life to her god for simply making it within these walls.

OOCHaha! I'm glad I'm not the only one ^.^ I'm finding this a very interesting interaction. Your post is fine by my book
Shiber - Fluent
Sheaya
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)