Closed Exploring the Town! Where is the Dust Bed?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Exploring the Town! Where is the Dust Bed?

Postby James Haven on October 17th, 2014, 6:44 am

11th Day of Fall 514 A.V.

James woke up and took in a deep breath only to cough from the musty smell that was ever present in his room. He threw the sheets back and rose to sit on the side of the bed where he began to stretch. As he did so he groaned in ecstasy as he stretched his tense muscles. He looked around the grimy room and could not help but smile wrinkling his nose at the state of his living quarters. He had thought about trying to clean it up the night before but before he realized it he had collapsed on the bed and was out like a light.

As he canvased the room he thought about picking it up before heading out for the day but after a brief bit of thought he decided against it. The grim added a little charm to the living quarters and to the city as a whole. So instead he merely grabbed his clothes and slipped them on making for the door at a brisk pace. He stopped suddenly realizing he had left his weapons and turned back to the bed. He hoisted the mattress up to reveal his wakizashi which he promptly slide into its place on his right hip. Then proceeded to lower the mattress back to its original position and threw back the sheets even more so than he had before to reveal his bow. Reaching down he gently picked up the bow and held it out in front of him.

The bow felt at home in his hand as he took the string up with his right and tensed his left arm muscles as he pulled the string back. The tips of the bow bent ever so slightly as he proceeded to aim the bow at various objects in the room itself. From the bed frame to the chair in the corner to other random objects that littered the room. With each new object he took aim at he would increase the pace at which he transitioned between the two but his accuracy fell sharply as a result causing him to take longer and longer with each new transition not leaving the current object until he had that perfect killing blow he was searching for. He sighed as he finally stopped his exercise and gently slung the bow over his head to rest on his right shoulder.

He was still new to the bow and everything he had learned over the past season had served him well up to this point but James was the type of person that enjoyed getting better. He was not really concerned with being the best or perfect. He merely wished to do his best and hopefully one day master the bow as well as any other weapons that caught his eye. He smiled as he slung the quiver over his right shoulder and made for the door.

Outside on the streets were flooded with people as usual but today seemed a little tense compared to the day before. James cautiously made his way through the streets catching bits and pieces of the gossip that seemed to be causing such tension.

"Did you hear? Those snakes got free?"

"Are you serious!?"

"That's what I heard. Several of them managed to slip their bonds and disappear into the Dust Bed."

"Those slippery bastards!" another piped up.

James strained to hear the rest of the conversation but was promptly pushed along with the crowd leaving him curious as to why Dhani were being captured and what this Dust Bed was? Growing up in Syliras he had met and seen many of the races that dot Mizahar's landscape. He knew of the Dhani as well as what they were capable of but did they really deserve the persecution? Or were they merely innocent by standards? He tried to push the thoughts away as he began focusing on his person again. He knew that thieves tended to rob a man blind if they were distracted and he was not about to become someone's prey today.

He began to watch his surroundings in the attempts to deter the less skillful thieves looking for easy prey. The problem was that James had no idea what to look for. His sheltered life had made him complacent and that was a weakness he knew people would try to exploit if at all possible. How could he stop something that he never knew was coming in the first place? Then an idea began to formulate which caused him to slowly make his way to the outer edges where through traffic was much slower.

If you don't know what to look for then why not take the opportunity to watch the masters at work? At least it will give you some idea of what to look for, right? He thought to himself as his pace slowed to match the outer edge traffic. As he slowly walked the streets he made sure to keep an eye out for any and everyone that he felt could potentially be a thief.
James Haven
Player

Words: 8233
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2014, 5:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Aider Silander on October 17th, 2014, 7:53 pm

The day was young and the Nykian was out and about. His leather jacket hugging his body as he moved his way through the crowd. Bumping and pushing against anyone who would try to fight against him. He was used to the crowds from the markets in Nyka. His eyes drifted off to someone on the side of the streets. Both weapons showing to anyone who cared to look. Aider's eyes landed on the bow, a quizzical look on his face as he moved to the outside of the flowing street. He walked behind the guy, watching his head turn. He was obviously trying to be worried about something or someone. Maybe he was being threatened by a gang or owed money to a loan shark.

"Its wise to keep your eyes on your back when you are worried about something." he said out loud. Was it even his place to wonder what was on the dudes mind. He shrugged he was curious and had nothing planned for the day. "Also you should worry to much about getting mugged. You are heavily armed after all. Maybe if a group came at you... But a single person you should be fine" he said. A simple wave of his hand and a flash of a smile. He slid back into the crowd, standing next to the man now instead of behind him.

"The names Aider" he said with a pause. Looking over at the man, his eyes looking over him. "You new here? You seem nervous" he added as he continued walking. Matching his pace with the mans. The crowd thinning out the further they got from the market place. He waited for the mans reply. His eyes watched in front of him, looking at the faces coming against him. His bag of coins were tucked away safely in the sleeve of his jacket.

Hey all, just wanted to say I am sorry for any delays and failed promises. I am getting ready for a huge trip out of the country as well as taking on a lot of extra shifts at work. The creative side of my brain hasn't been active as of late.
Aider Silander
She has my heart on the end of her blade.

Words: 170163
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2013, 4:03 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby James Haven on October 18th, 2014, 5:09 am

Turning James saw Aider walking behind him. He was tiny a bit taller than him, James being a mere five foot eleven inches, but he lacked an imposing air about him like so many others did. He seemed nice in fact which put James more on edge than anything but he tried not to let it show. He nodded in response to Aider's advice as he turned to face the front. James tried to slow his pace to match Aider's but found out that it was not needed for a tick later Aider stood next to him. Aider mentioned a group which made James subconsciously look around suspicious of his flank.

"Well let us hope it does not come to that. I would like to live to see another day if Dira sees fit." he said cautiously turning back around to watch the people that were coming towards him. He was used to the smelly and cramped environments of Sylaris yet Sunberth seemed to hold it's own unique smell that James was not yet used to. He wrinkled his nose as a particularly smelly chap slammed into his right shoulder as they continued walking. He brought his left hand up and gently began to massage the spot. He was fairly certain there was a bruise slowly forming on his shoulder but did not press the issue any further.

"Nice to meet you Aider. The name is James." he said merely nodding in recognition. "To answer your question, yes. I am new to Sunberth. Is it that obvious?" James asked as duo walked together. James could not help but smile as they walked. He knew he would not be able to fit in on the first day and after the sights he saw the day before he did not know if he would ever truly fit in but that would not keep him from trying.

"I am actually from Sylaris. So between there and here it feels totally different. Like day and night." he said nodding at the comparison. James was not going to lie about it. Sunberth was everything he thought it would be and then some; however, that did not mean that he had been prepared for it. In fact James was still a little shaken up from violence he had witnessed yesterday. Muggings to murder and everything else in between. That was not to say that he did not like it though. Just like the grim that blanketed the city every mugging, every murder, and everything in between made the city what it was. He did not really want to change that. At least not yet. He was still to busy having fun.

"So my dashing young friend. Can you do me the honors of enlightening me as to why there are Dhani being persecuted?" James asked looking round to Aider.
Last edited by James Haven on October 19th, 2014, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Haven
Player

Character sheet

Postby Aider Silander on October 18th, 2014, 11:34 pm

The Nykian matched James step for step. His head not turning to look at him while he spoke, but his eyes continued to scan from left to right and then back again.
"Dira the goddess of death? Are you religious?" he asked glancing over to James for no more then a tick before his eyes flicked forwards again. "I know someone else who follows a Goddess. Its strange to me. I don't see their influence in my own life" he said. "Or maybe I just don't care to look for it" he shrugged as the words rolled off his tongue. "James" he said with a nod. Acknowledging the fact that he had heard him introduce himself and he now knew his name. "Its obvious as your eyes and head are darting everywhere. You act like you are expecting something to happen. When you do that things rarely do happen, and where is the fun in that? " he smiled.

"How are you to meet people if you don't take a stroll into the mist once and awhile?" he asked. He continued to walk beside him, he pushed his cloak over his shoulders. Reveling the knuckle buster that was wrapped around his knuckles. "Besides, you have to take chances in a city like this to get by" he nodded. A few chimes passed as Aider let the new comer talk. Taking in his words while keeping his eyes open. "You came from the city of justice and peace to Sunberth?" he said with an eyebrow raised. "Why? You some kind of bounty hunter?" he asked. "This city isn't safe in any means. Death, robbery and sickness are common. Though most try to ignore it, there are a few good people here" he said pausing for a few ticks before continuing. "Even rumors of a gang that is trying to bring order to the city. Unite it under one banner or something" he said with a shrug. "Its all rumors though. I haven't seen any progress".

"Young? That's a laugh, I feel twice as old since I arrived to this gods forbidden place."
he said shaking his head. "Dhani? I cant really say I know why they are being persecuted. But I've heard rumors about one in the graveyard maybe you could ask them. I'll go with you if you would like someone a little more familiar with the city." he shrugged.

Hey all, just wanted to say I am sorry for any delays and failed promises. I am getting ready for a huge trip out of the country as well as taking on a lot of extra shifts at work. The creative side of my brain hasn't been active as of late.
Aider Silander

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby James Haven on October 19th, 2014, 6:48 pm

"Religious? I would not really say that I am religious. I merely acknowledge that there is a higher power working in this world. One that I will probably never be able to understand." he said merely shrugging nonchalantly. as the duo continued walking. James started to calm down by this point. It was reassuring having someone such as Aider walking next to him. Although James could not help but burst into laughter as Aider questioned him about being a bounty hunter.

"Certainly not. I wouldn't last two ticks as a bounty hunter. I merely came to Sunberth to quill my curiosity. I grew up on tales of this city. So whenever I was old enough and had enough coin to hire a guide and here I am." he said smiling softly. James was not even sure that Sunberth existed before yesterday. It was merely a city of his dreams yet here he was. Smack dab in the middle of it.

"Oh? You say you know where one is? Interesting." he contemplated that statement for a few ticks before responding to Aider's question. "Yes I would actually like to speak with this Dhani if possible and since you're willing to be my guide then by all means lead on. I am eager to speak with this person." he said going silent as he followed Aider. Most of the time Dhani were not persecuted unless they were physically harming another person. Usually the kinghts would only punish the one that was responsible. Not innocent ones that had nothing to do with that crime in the first place. Even then there has been no rumors about why the Dhani are being persecuted. I need to know more. he thought to himself as he calmed himself and merely watched the road for signs of danger.
James Haven
Player

Character sheet

Postby Aider Silander on October 26th, 2014, 2:46 am

"Higher power. I guess you could say that. To me the gods are... Not much of a factor. They don't lead my life and I don't follow them. I don't pray to them or call to them and they don't gift me with anything." Aider said, continuing at his own pace. Knocking shoulders with another man, causing him to stumble. "Hey! You petching twit! Watch where your going" the man called out to Aider. Who simply turned around and showed the knuckleduster around his fist. The studded leather band and the look on the Nykians face made it look like he wasn't in a good mood. His eyebrows were arched and a hard snarl played across his lips. The man waved his hand in the air and turned way continuing his walk.

"Anyway like I was saying." he turned beginning his walk again. "I know people who would give their life for a goddess. And sometimes I wonder if I am wrong in not searching them out. If that makes sense" he said. He was chewing the strangers ear off. But he enjoyed conversing with anyone that would listen.

"To quill your curiosity? So you have a death wish" he said. "You grew up on tales of Sunberth? You sure it wasn't Nyka?" he said with a laugh at mentioning his home land. "This place can be deadly to anyone. A haven for thieves, drunks and murders. Nothing is as its seem and there is very little law. If any" he said. Aider rolled his neck, cracking it in several locations. "I wouldn't say know where one is. I've heard rumors of one in the graveyard. I don't know if they will talk or not. Just be ready for a fight" he said. He continued to walk. Making his way towards the Dust Bed.

Aider Silander

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes