Flashback A Glimpse (Kaliope)

Kaliope is introduced to an abomination with no right living within the confines of Myri's great race

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Taloba, home to the Myrians, is the thriving core of Falyndar. Inhabited by a fierce and savage tribe where blood sacrifices are normal and a way of life, they are untamed and proud of it. Warlike, and with their numbers growing, the Myrians are set on reclaiming what is rightfully theirs. [Lore]

A Glimpse (Kaliope)

Postby Tinnok on September 24th, 2014, 9:38 pm

A Glimpse
67th of Fall, 511 A.V.

She still felt like a child when she left the military barracks on a day of leave. Careful steps would bring the tall half breed down a secluded dirt path ensconced by ferns and cover, here she would stoop, finding a brackish puddle or simply dirt, scooping it into her hands and rubbing it upon her skin, focusing on her arms, shoulders and neck, though she left her Phylonura mark largely untouched, if one could glance and identify it, so much the better for the chances of them bothering her. She was a bit less careful with her legs, back and front, and then finally would use two fingertips to streak more mud or dirt beneath her eyes.

She would appear as if she had just walked out of the jungle, but better this than the stares her reflective scales caught glinting in the sunlight. At first glance it could be taken for a sheen of sweat, but in the crowded throngs of the center of the city, jostling and close to one's neighbors...

The half breed rubbed any excess grime off her hands and set off into the city, daggers lining her belt, pack in place and bow and quiver lying beneath it upon her back. She didn't have a particular aim this day, only to stretch her legs and avoid as many disgusted stares as possible, since she had plenty of that when on duty.

She did not move into the more crowded roads immediately, preferring to test out her skills on the strange winding paths, fashioned by thousands of feet and paws. She crept along as quietly as possible, a task much easier in the city than int he depths of the jungle, but one that did prove difficult when encountering other Myrians. She had always liked to play this game from a young age, a fun thing to concentrate on, keeping the mind from wandering down other avenues. She skirted the edge of one clan's longhouses, stopping in her tracks when she heard two boys snickering with each other. A furtive glance of her head revealed them to be around the next corner of the building she was edging around. Smirking, Tinnok bent and found a medium sized, worn stone, hefting it in her hand and took a couple of steps, weight focused into the balls of her feet forward, body crouched.

Peeking around she let the rock fly over the boys' heads, bouncing and clacking noisily against a few stone benches located in the midst of the houses.

Their heads snapped too like frightened Agouti, and Tinnok grinned as she bounded by, dashing past them to the safety of the next longhouse, her pace slowing to a confident jaunt as the path wound away from the clans houses and through a collection of large fruit bearing trees. So pleased with herself the half breed was staring happily up at a few immature plants high up in the canopy and did not in anyway see the being she slammed into as she turned a corner.

"Ach, S-sorry." She stammered, assessing the being she had so rudely jostled.
c

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Words: 878542
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2013, 5:27 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

A Glimpse (Kaliope)

Postby Kaliope on October 20th, 2014, 8:43 pm

OOCI am SO sorry this took so long. Life jumped up and bit me in the rear. I hope you don't mind the direction I took. If you do, just shoot me a PM.

"And don't forget that you need to take that out before it starts to stink..." Kotaika of the Changing Moons shouted as she left the room, leading a young couple behind her, and disappeared into her private reading room. Crinkling her nose, Kaliope noted the already stinking pile of food her sister had attempted to make earlier in the day sitting upon the table. With weakening senses, it was not unusual for such things to go mostly unnoticed by the old woman.

With a groan, Kali stood from the floor and wiped some dirt from her backside before sauntering across the room to stare disdainfully down at the plate, willing it to burst into flame and no longer be her problem. I didn't make this mess... Why should I clean it up?

Oh. Right. Because Taniska is out hunting with Tulavi and Sinora. They hunt... I clean.

Just as she started to bemoan the situation, Kaliope was struck with a memory of the last time she had tried to hunt and the hours she had spent making a new spear for her mother. This was not so bad.

Using the tips of her fingers, Kaliope lifted the vessel and held it out from her body, careful not to let any of the putrid, grayish gravy slosh onto her. Thin lines still creased the sides of her mahogany nose as she strode down the length of her longhouse and prepared to round the corner, heading for the midden heap at the rear.

Without a moment to process what had happened, Kali was on her rump, coated with the sticky, stinky liquid and pieces of burnt meat. The sound of a dish falling to the ground caught the young Myrian's attention and drew her eyes to the side. How on Caihya's green earth...!?

Turning her eyes back in the direction she had been heading, Kali found herself staring in a mirror... Of sorts. though she had managed to remain upright, another Myrian woman stood before her, coated in filth. Beneath the familiar muck peered two shocking golden eyes. Mesmerizing golden eyes, really. In an instant of curiosity, Kali nearly forgot to be angry. Nearly.

"First day walking or first day without eyes?" She asked, biting tone only half meant. A quick once over left this woman without any marks distinguishing her as any of the few tribes with whom Kaliope was familiar.

"Ach, S-sorry."

Kaliope faltered for a moment. Manners. After an internal groan, the young Myrian took a deep breath, forcing herself to behave civilly. "Not... only your fault..." She cringed. "I mean! My fault, too. I should have been watching where I was going, too..." Before she could embarrass herself further, she stood and scurried over to collect her now empty platter. The clay piece had a long crack running through one of the sides and looked as if it would never hold liquid again. Useless. With a shrug, Kaliope tossed the piece away frm her and watched it shatter against the side of a long house. She would probably have to go buy a new one, now... Doing that and replacing it before anyone noticed would be preferred above explaining what had happened.

"Kaliope of the Changing Moons," she offered abruptly, sticking out a grimy hand before retracting it slowly, color rising to darken her cheeks. Smooth as a Tskanna's ass... Not.

(c) Adelaide Sitai
Kaliope
Future and Flame

Words: 14572
Joined roleplay: September 9th, 2014, 2:25 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet

A Glimpse (Kaliope)

Postby Tinnok on October 24th, 2014, 6:47 pm

She was ready for a shove, curses, and immediate outrage. While a portion of this happened, Tinnok also came to the abrupt realization that at least for now...this stranger had no idea what she was, and thus she was just another full blooded Myrian female...or well she caught the way the pigment of her eyes were noticed in full and back tracked into a section of shade immediately, bending over to help the female pick up her shattered crockery only to not quite be quick enough, catching the smell of whatever had been lingering there, probably out in the sun too long.

"No that was all my fault, all mine." She insisted with an apologetic smile. She almost too quickly snatched Kaliope's hand straight out of the air in an attempt to put this blunder behind them, and realized as she did the grime coated on it. "Ach, well...I am Tinnok of the Tempered Steel, and its a pleasure. If I know my way around these back paths well enough I think there's a little brook near here that will get that off pretty quickly."

This knowledge, not surprisingly, actually relied on the half breed's knowledge of places where there were a distinct lack of paths in the semi wooded sections of the city, but she trotted down a little farther, eyes squinting and focusing on the foliage in front of her.

"Ahh, over here." She said, beckoning her still messy acquaintance. She disappeared behind a copse of massive ferns, around the base of a massive tree to find herself in a small copse, with just as she described running through it. Admittedly there was a small foot path, this spot probably utilized by the nearby clan as well, but Tinnok was still pleased with herself for remembering, simultaneously pushing down the memories that came with needing to find a bit of peace and quiet in the large Myrian city.

Taking a measured step over the side of the small brook she found a fallen tree to perch on and wait for Kaliope to wash off. Glancing at her one mud covered arm she realized it was already swiftly peeling. A low sigh escaped her and she absentmindedly brushed some off the back of her hand, trying to look casual.

"I'd wash up too..." She said, trying to formulate a convincing lie. Part of her wondered why she wasn't better at this kind of thing by now. "But I'll be back on jungle patrol soon and doing this all over again." She gave what she hoped was a relaxed chuckle and settled back.

"I know of the Changing Moons, are you in the military currently?" She seemed of age, to Tinnok's eyes, and it seemed a good question to keep discussion distinctly away from her.

c

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Words: 878542
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2013, 5:27 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)