A Meeting of Minds [Aram]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Azilis Theroulde on October 1st, 2010, 10:07 pm

15th of Fall, 510 A.V.

Abase,” Azilis muttered, squinting at the piece of wood she held clenched in her palm. “Beginning. Life. That which moves.”

With a penknife clasped in her hand, she was painstakingly attempting to scratch out the corresponding glyph upon the rough surface of the bark. Had she been more practical, she might have chosen the more obvious path of using a quill and parchment, but the idea had struck her as she was rambling through the streets of Zeltiva. After finding a small scrap of wood in between the cobbles of the street, she had searched her pockets for some sort of writing implement and came up with a penknife. Well, one had to make do with what one could find, didn't one?

At least she was innovative. Impractical, but innovative.

After a brief spat of early autumnal rain and cold, the weather in Zeltiva had turned unseasonably warm, driving her out of the house she shared with her father and brother. Heat made her fidgety and restless, and she had taken to the streets around the University, where a salt-scented breeze blown off the sea had calmed her. The capriciousness of the wind always seemed to help the cogs in her brain turn, and in this case her thoughts had drifted back to the classes on auristics she was now taking at the University. Her mind lit on one word, one of the few she knew in the Ancient Tongue: abase. Life. And wasn't that what an aura was, a manifestation of life, of being? Immediately her thoughts turned to glyphing, and whether her meager experience with it would be enough for her to draw the one glyph she held in her mind, then use it to help her with her auristics. Seized with the desire to see if her idea would come to fruition, she had immediately halted her jaunt through the city to scratch out the glyph on a bit of wood.

Without warning, the blade of the penknife slipped off the bark and bit into her finger. She yelped, more out of surprise than pain, and dropped the small scrap. It skittered over the uneven stone cobbles, driven by the temperamental wind to land on the other side of the street. “Oh, petch it all,” she muttered a bit louder than she meant to, earning her some stares from passersby. Licking off the one bright bead of scarlet on her finger, Azilis started over to the other side of the road to retrieve her errant project.
~O, wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't!~

-Miranda, The Tempest
Azilis Theroulde
Aurist in Training

Words: 57571
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2010, 2:13 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Power Fork (1)

Postby Aram on October 3rd, 2010, 4:02 am

Aram had taken to the streets today, driven by some nameless fancy. He didn't usually care to explore the streets of Zeltiva, and though he had been here for an entire season, he knew not what most of the buildings along the sides of the streets were for. He much preferred to limit himself to the confines of his own small cottage and the classrooms he studied in.

Of all days to find himself out and about, he had to have picked an uncomfortably hot one, considering he wore the same black robe, disregarding whether it were summer, fall, winter, or spring. He mentally sighed to himself. For one so studious as himself, he sure could be dense sometimes. He passed several people along the road, none who caught his attention. Even the auras around him felt a little...lacking. He was sure if he concentrated a little, each person he passed might have had some interesting quirk to them to draw his attention, but as it stood, he didn't feel like wasting the effort. That is, until he felt one. This one was a particularly seering aura. Not so much that the person seemed angry, but excited about something. They seemed more or less to be a very bright person, or at least for the time being.

To his surprise, there came a small piece of what appeared to be wood whistling toward him from across the street. He turned just in time to see it land at his feet, a dismayed looking girl standing across the street from him. He bent over to pick it up and examined it briefly. It had appeared as if she was etching something into the wood, but he couldn't tell exactly what it was.
"Is this yours miss?" he said, crossing the street toward her. She was normal enough looking, a pretty figure and equally pretty eyes. She seemed intelligent and bright.
Aram
Player

Words: 10898
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2010, 4:47 am
Character sheet

Postby Azilis Theroulde on October 11th, 2010, 11:56 am

Azilis had just begun to step out into the street when a dark stick of a man, cloaked in black, picked up her project and palmed it in his hand, surveying it. A flush of embarrassment lit her face and she tugged a lock of her hair in front of her face, hoping that the man hadn't seen her – but it was too late for that. He was already striding towards her, his abnormally long frame scissoring across the street. The glyph that she had carved was obviously magic-related, and though Zeltiva was naturally far more tolerant towards magic-users than most cities, that piece of wood was clearly not part of the normal debris one found in gutters.

Yet the man's appearance seemed to suggest he was not exactly normal either. Black robes swathed his body, and a high collar added an imposing air to his demeanor. She concentrated on him, drawing Djed to her eyes, and blinked until she could see his aura blossoming around him. It was particularly complex, filled with whorling, irregular shapes she could barely begin to make out, and it intrigued her. Perhaps this man was also a magic-user?

Whatever he was, he was looking at her intently, waiting for her response. “Er. Yes. That's mine,” she muttered, snatching it from his hand and covering the poorly-etched figure with her fingers. “I was just...experimenting. It was stupid. But thank you for picking it up.”

She looked up at his face. It was handsome enough, framed by messy dark hair, with a studious cast to it. “Are you...a student of the University?” she ventured, figuring there was a fairly good chance this man had some sort of affiliation with the University.
~O, wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't!~

-Miranda, The Tempest
Azilis Theroulde
Aurist in Training

Words: 57571
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2010, 2:13 am
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Power Fork (1)

Postby Aram on October 11th, 2010, 11:14 pm

Aram smiled at the girl, she seemed so flustered. 'Well she's cute,' he thought to himself. "Well, sort of," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I'd call myself more of, a slave. I take classes, but I also work there, as an apprentice alchemist. You know those crazy alchemists..." He trailed off, she seemed like someone he might enjoy having as company, but being that he devoted so much of his time to his studies, he had no clue as to how to ask her if she would like to talk, or something. "Would you like to, um...I mean maybe we could...err.. how about... Well, I guess I'd better be on my way then, always have to have my face in the books," he gave her a nervous smile, which was quickly replaced by a confident mask. He waved and said, "Good luck with your experiments, mage girl," followed by a quick, if not nervous wink, and he turned his back to walk off. In the wrong direction.

He turned around and walked past her again, "Heh, forgot..house is that way," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I'll just be um...on my way then." He stopped, he was tired of not having the nerve to do the things he wanted. He generally could, but for some reason, when it came to talking to girls, he just didn't have the confidence he normally did. "Look," he said, back still turned to hide his gradually reddening face. "I just thought, maybe we could get to know each other. I mean, it's obvious you're into magic, or at least interested in it. I'd say I'm fairly competent in at least two kinds of magic, maybe we could help each other out? Trade knowledge and such, maybe study together? Or maybe that's going too fast, how about we just go have lunch or something?" His eyes were closed now, for some reason or another, as if she were going to hit him. Though he could imagine, she's have to walk around him to do it, and then probably stand on her toes to do so. A small smiled came to his face, and he opened his eyes. He remained facing away though, awaiting her answer, still somewhat embarassed.
Aram
Player

Words: 10898
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2010, 4:47 am
Character sheet