Completed A Stranger in a Strange New Land

[Aventis][Ssharathassorin]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

A Stranger in a Strange New Land

Postby Autumn Wilde on November 8th, 2014, 8:13 pm

69th of Fall, 514 AV

The first thing noticeably obvious about Syliras was how busy it was. There was a constant flow of people. Some running, some briskly walking, some just milling around in small groups. Autumn also saw men in armor everywhere. Syliran Knights she recalled from the stories told by people passing through Zeltiva. Fierce protectors of Syliras. She smiled wide. I finally made it! Weeks of being on the road here from Zeltiva and the relief was so great she could hardly stand it.

But now she ran into another problem. Where do I go from here? Autumn needed to find a place where she could drop all of her belongings, a place with a bed. She turned in a full circle, scanning the crowd and walls for some sort of direction. Autumn wasn't sure who to ask for directions. Should she stop someone in the street? Should she ask a knight?

Standing right in the middle of all the commotion was obviously not the smartest thing to do, but Autumn didn't know which way would take her where she needed to go. So she stayed, walking in circles and probably gaining some unwanted attention.

Autumn Wilde
Last edited by Autumn Wilde on December 24th, 2014, 2:03 am, edited 8 times in total.
Autumn Wilde
Wayward Musician

Words: 53471
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2014, 9:47 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

A Stranger in a Strange New Land(Aventis)

Postby Aventis on November 8th, 2014, 9:34 pm

69th of Autumn, 514 AV

Bright sun shined, the light nearly reflecting off of the cobblestone streets, the well-polished city of Syliras warming Aventis' heart that day, filled with an uncharacteristically patriotic sense of joy, his heart and his smile beaming with absolute pride to be alive, to be alive in Syliras, city of peace, and to be one of the esteemed peacekeepers of said city.

Aventis walked, as he so often did, among the streets of Syliras, and among her people. His cloak loose today, his arms hidden nonetheless, and his rapier strapped gently to his waist, bouncing off of his leg with every stride. There was no purpose, today, other than to experience, to see, to live, and enjoy it. It was a worthwhile goal, and it was one Aventis strongly intended to keep.

Aventis

Credit to: Rhys for picture edit, Redd and Estellir Konrath for Boxcodes, and Fallon for Signature

Shameless self advertising. Feel free to make a request!

Aventis
Your brother in multiple arms

Words: 158586
Joined roleplay: October 22nd, 2014, 9:14 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Autumn Wilde on November 9th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Autumn decided that she should probably try asking somebody, as they would have more information. She kept turning to the people walking past, getting snippets of "Excuse me-" and "Could you-" out but nobody stopped. They brushed right past her. Bumping into her bags and gea'tar. She started to feel claustrophobic so she ran off to the side, standing against the wall where no person was. She took a deep breath and got her bearings.

When she looked up, she noticed a man off to her right walking with no sense of purpose, like he was just going for a stroll. She could see the glint of a long sword hanging off his waist, but her ignorance in weaponry left her without a name for it. He doesn't seem busy, Autumn thought. She hiked her bag and gea'tar up, which were now feeling much heavier, and headed towards the man. She was going against the crowd and there were loud objections. She apologized continuously until she was out of the main flow and walking directly at the man. She stepped into his path and feeling flustered let out a breath.

"I'm so sorry to interrupt your day, I just need some directions. Nobody here will pause for even a second!" She said this all in one breath, and ended with a smile. "Peace begins with a smile," Autumn's grandmother always told her. The man was tall, she realized. At least a foot taller than her. He wore a long cloak and looking at his face Autumn saw a scar on his jawline. He was... handsome... in a sort of rough way. Nonetheless his eyes glowed with something that made Autumn happy, or maybe it was just the sun reflecting in them. Either way Autumn took this as a sign of something good.

Autumn Wilde
Last edited by Autumn Wilde on November 10th, 2014, 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Autumn Wilde
Wayward Musician

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Aventis on November 9th, 2014, 8:35 pm

Aventis looked down on the girl, which was not an exceedingly hard task, seeing as she was a significant amount shorter than he was. The girl was oh so obviously new to Syliras. It was easy to tell. From her confused and somewhat pleasant disposition to her somewhat exotic tool that hung from her back, she was foreign girl, and the poor thing was lost.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your day," she said, not a moment ago, "I just need some directions." she pleaded. Fully understandable. More understandable when she added the part about the people refusing to slow down. Syliras was a bustling city, especially at this time of day. People had places to go, infinitely busy, infinitely affiliated exclusively with their own business.

"Yeah... You're new. I can tell." He said, taking pity on the new girl. "You do not know Syliras until you know how shyky the people are." He said, smiling. He wasn't humorous much, but if no one was to make her feel at home in this city, he might as well do it himself. "Where do you need to go, Miss? I'm certain I can help you on your way." He said, flashing a polite smile.

Aventis

Credit to: Rhys for picture edit, Redd and Estellir Konrath for Boxcodes, and Fallon for Signature

Aventis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Autumn Wilde on November 9th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Autumn didn't want to seem like a complete idiot in front of the man. He was obviously a veteran of the city, seeming so comfortable and at peace with himself. His smile came easily and his stance was relaxed.

"Where do you need to go, Miss? I'm certain I can help you on your way."

The man responded with a polite offer to help her. Autumn exhaled and nodded, trying to get her thoughts together.

"Oh thank you so much, I hope you're not busy as well. I'm so tired and I just need a place to rest. Where is the closest inn?" She paused then added: "Somewhere not too costly. I'm a little short on funds." She shrugged, which was a bad move. It upset her already poor balance, considering how much she was carrying, and her gea'tar slipped off her shoulder and dropped heavily to the ground She cursed loudly in surprise and knelt down to pick it up, but not without her other bags dropping as well.

"I'm such a klutz! I'm so sorry." She exclaimed, feeling embarrassed in front of this stranger. Although her biggest concern now was that she might have damaged her instrument. She didn't have the mizas to repair it.

Her first few minutes in the grand city of Syliras were not supposed to go like this.

Autumn Wilde
Autumn Wilde
Wayward Musician

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Aventis on November 10th, 2014, 7:47 pm

The girl took a deep breath, relaxing herself. The poor thing. Aventis could empathise with her frustration; it was very obviously her first day in this city and, although he had never been to any other, he knew that Syliras was crowded at this time of day, to say the least of it, and especially in this area.

The girl looked up at him, which she very much needed to do. She was such a short thing. “Oh thank you so much,” she said, seemingly relieved to receive assistance. “I hope you’re not busy as well. I'm so tired and I just need a place to rest. Where is the closest inn?” She asked.

Aventis shifted his weight, tilting his head upward to remember. “Well,” he said. “There is the White Swan, but I’m not sure how expensi-” He stopped. As he looked down, there was a crash, and a clatter of gear and luggage, a few curses mixed into the noise. Piled on the ground were her clothes, her toiletries, her belongings and travel things.

Aventis sighed and cursed his duty as a citizen, and moreso his duty as a squire, as he bended down, keeping his cloak covering his body by holding the flaps with the arms he hid. He began to gather the girl’s clothes with his prominent arms into a pile for her, easier to organize.

“When we’re done,” he said, focusing on refolding the clothes rather to speaking. “I could show you the way to the inn. Wouldn’t want you getting lost for the second time.”

All the clothes were now folded into a neat pile, and he offered said pile to the woman who lost it.

“Up to you.”

Aventis

Aventis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Autumn Wilde on November 10th, 2014, 9:39 pm

Autumn knew she was really being a pest now. People passing by were watching, pointing, laughing. Her cheeks heated up with embarrassment as the stranger bent down to help her put her belongings back into order. It felt weird to have someone she had only just met touching her personal things, but she didn't object.

"At least I never claimed to be graceful." She grumbled under her breath, as an almost excuse to dropping everything. She noticed the stranger was holding himself carefully, not in an obvious way, but there was definitely something a little bit too stiff about him. He probably felt uncomfortable being the one to help the newcomer, and then having to deal with all this shyke.

Autumn accepted the pile of clothes the man was handing her after his offer to guide her to the inn.

"If it doesn't bother you too much, a guide would be wonderful," She answered, putting away the last of her belongings and angrily glaring at the scratch on her gea'tar case, "Thank you for helping me pick all that up, I'm sorry for being such a bother." She thanked the stranger and stood, heaving everything back onto her shoulders in a safer, less precarious way.

"Lead on." She gestured with a dramatic sweep of her arm and a ridiculous smile.

Autumn Wilde
Autumn Wilde
Wayward Musician

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Aventis on November 11th, 2014, 8:08 pm

It took but a moment for the spill to be taken care of. The usually indifferent denizens of Syliras were a bit impolite about the affair, some children pointing to their mothers at the two picking up belongings, a few adults even chuckling about the girl’s misfortune, but for the most part it was easy and the people didn’t mind, walking around the mess instead of through it, and that is always appreciated.

At least I never claimed to be graceful…” the girl muttered, and Aventis nearly smiled. She was still in a fair mood even after what had just transpired.

The girl gingerly took the bundle of clothes, putting them back where they should be. Before she could, Aventis did his best to catch a glimpse of what was inside the case she carried. Could never be too careful. He saw but a corner of polished wood and a bit of taut wire… The strangest weapon I’ve seen if that’s what she’s carrying… he thought, keeping it in mind but not forefront in his thoughts.

If it doesn’t bother you much, a guide would be wonderful.” The girl said, glaring at the suspicious case. “Thank you for helping me pick all that up, I’m sorry for being such a bother.

Aventis stood, trying to be as polite as possible when he waved her off and said “You’re no bother. Really. I’m happy to help,”

He managed a thin smile. Not fake, just polite. He wasn’t happy, nor was he upset. He simply didn’t smile often, but this girl need a friendly face. She hadn’t had the best experience thus far. “Lead on,” she said with an exaggerated sweep of the arm and a huge smile on her face. She had an unmistakable chipper disposition, and it was one that was contagious. Aventis couldn’t help but smile himself, this time a significant amount more genuine. He stood, and to keep the game going, he made a show of bowing low, picking himself back up, checking if the girl was still there, and then heading off.

“Hey… If you don’t have any plans in this city, you could certainly apply for squireship. The knighthood is always looking for fresh blood.” He offered, happy to advertise his business. “If not… Then I need to ask your business. And then your name. Because it’s rude not to.” He said, happy to joke around with the stranger as they walked.

“Other than that, I’m curious as to where you came from. I mean no offense to you, but it’s very obvious that this is your first day within city walls.”

He stopped for a moment, turning to address the woman. “How rude of me…” He said, scanning the horizon. He locked eyes with the girl, and, still happy to joke, spread his top arms to full length in a joking manner, smiling once again, and in a booming voice announced her coming. “Welcome to Syliras!” He said, doing his best to imitate her cheerful and somewhat playful attitude, as this was the best way for him to make her feel comfortable. He wanted her to feel at home.

So he acted like family.

Aventis

Aventis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Autumn Wilde on November 12th, 2014, 1:53 am

Autumn was pleased to see the man didn't seem to mind her pestering much. She laughed when he bowed in response and when he started to walk she fell in step beside him. He took long strides, swinging his arms, while Autumn had to match with at least two steps for every one of his.

Autumn listened as the stranger suggested joining the ranks of the knights, she hadn't even considered it as an option, knowing that it was not for her. Then he asked for a name and her business and some background information. His tone was lighthearted and playful. Autumn had her answers on the tip of her tongue. She loved talking, about anything really. Listening to others' stories was even more fun though. But before she could get an answer out, the man stopped in the road next to her. She paused too and looked over at him.

"How rude of me..." He was looking ahead of him, far away at the horizon, then he turned to meet Autumn's gaze. Smiling, he lifted his arms and stretched them out to their full extant and announced in a loud voice, "Welcome to Syliras!" His voice echoed off the walls and a few passersby looked over with an annoyed expression. Autumn laughed and almost started jumping up and down, she tried to match his loud voice.

"I'm happy to be here!" She exclaimed, being careful to watch that she didn't flail her arms too much in the case of another luggage mishap. She felt more comfortable now, less of an outsider now that she had a guide with such a cheerful countenance. The sun was high in the sky, the air would be slightly chilly if not for the coat she wore, and the day was just all around good.

The two began walking again and Autumn took this as her cue to answer a few questions.

"The Knighthood, although a wonderful organization, is not the place for me," She smiled and shook her head, "Better to let others do the protecting, I wouldn't trust me with a sword." She paused and watched a few unfamiliar faces walk past. There were people of all different shapes and sizes; children racing past, old men and women hobbling along, middle aged men and women in a race to get to wherever they were going. She noticed there were other races of all kinds here too. Several blue-skinned Akalak, along with tiny Pycons, calm Konti with bright hair and eyes, and tattooed Drykas making their way through with regular business like the humans. Autumn always appreciated the difference in races, and loved getting to learn different stories and different opinions on all things.

"As for my business, I'm a musician. This here," She gestured to the gea'tar case on her back, "Is my instrument. Maybe you'll hear me playing sometime." She gave the man a quick glance, trying to assess his thought process, then continued, "My name is Autumn, yes like the current season. I'm not sure why I was named such but that's just the way it is. I traveled here from not an incredible distance, Zeltiva. A polite man with a wagon offered to take me this far for a small price." Autumn finished her official greeting, and decided it was the man's turn to answer questions.

"And what about you? What is your name and busine-" An old man with a long beard suddenly bumped into Autumn, not hard enough to knock her over, but enough to make her pause in her sentence. The man smelt strongly of ale and body odor. He didn't stop to apologize but simply kept stumbling through the streets, knocking into almost everyone coming the opposite way.

"How rude!" Autumn exclaimed, but continued her questions, "As I was saying, what do you do here in Syliras? By the looks of that impressive blade on your waist I'm guessing you aren't a simple fisherman." Autumn observed with a small smile, keeping the tone in a light, joking matter. Although she felt worn out, and her shoulders ached, Autumn automatically was friendly and knew not to think only of herself in any situation. This kind stranger could very well be having many problems of his own, despite his continuous reassurances that Autumn was not troubling him.

Autumn Wilde
Autumn Wilde
Wayward Musician

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Aventis on November 12th, 2014, 8:45 pm

I’m happy to be here!” The girl yelled, mimicking to some degree Aventis’ theatrics, instigating the pleasant attitude given once again. It was certainly a nice change, to laugh. Alien, yes, beyond alien, but it was pleasant. It was fun.
With that, the two began to walk again. There was a change in the air; the girl was smiling, she was walking, just walking, somehow with the most jubilous attitude. Other than absolutely refreshing, Aventis had lost all suspicion. She wasn’t a possible threat rather to a good-natured stranger that the squire was beyond happy to simply walk with.

The girl smiled wider than she did as she strode with Aventis. “The Knighthood, although a wonderful organization, is not the place for me.” she smiled, shaking her head. Aventis nodded, not much surprised. It was a long shot anyway. “Better to let others do the protecting, I wouldn't trust me with a sword.” she continued, gazing leisurely at the people passing by.

Aventis nodded. “Completely understandable.” he replied, and it was. The knighthood was not for everyone. Although few exceptions, not everyone in Mizahar wielded a sword or dagger. Though, this brought his attention back to the item of suspicion slinged on her shoulder. Aventis eyed it warily, hopefully without being noticed, but stopped the moment the girl spoke again.

As for my business, I’m a musician. This here,” she said, tapping the case that Aventis had been eyeing just a moment ago. “is my instrument.

Explains quite a lot, he thought.

Maybe you’ll hear me play sometime.

“Maybe.”

After a brief moment of silence, the girl, still cheery as ever, looked over at the usually stern squire and introduced herself as Autumn. Pretty name. Aventis thought, simply. It portrayed its season on the girl in the sense that she was colorful and new, a rare sight to be seen. “I'm not sure why I was named such but that's just the way it is.

Carefree and simple… Refreshing from the norm, norm being a busybody, never stopping for others, for whatever reason of their own, no one questioning. Aventis does his best to not be one of these people when he can. Of course, not everyone in Syliras is like this, but enough for it to get fairly irksome. Autumn did not need to discover this on her first day.

I traveled here not from an incredible distance, Zeltiva. A nice man with a wagon offered to take me for a small price.” She told the squire, who nodded quietly.

“Don’t believe I’ve heard much of Zeltiva… But I’m sure it’s a decent city.” The squire said, honestly half interested, focusing on trying to find the quickest path to the White Swan inn without running into a large amount of traffic, which was a challenge unto itself.

And what about you?” The happy musician asked.

Aventis crossed his brow, a tad confused. Not many people asked him this question. He was usually the wallflower, watching but not speaking. It was rare for him to be asked anything but directions by anyone less than his closest acquaintances.

“Hm?” Asked Aventis, looking down at the girl. “What do you mean?”

What’s your name and busine-” she begun, but was immediately interrupted by old drunkard, wobbling through the streets on his disgusting, fat little legs. After interrupting the pleasant little strummer, he continued on his far-too merry way, stumbling through the streets, knocking into a gaggle of others as well.

How rude!” The girl exclaimed.

“Don’t mind it. It happens a lot when you’re on a busy street, just ignore him. I doubt he’ll even remember walking down this road.”

As I was saying, what do you do here in Syliras? From that impressive blade on your waist I’m guessing you’re not a fisherman.

Aventis looked down at his blade, and chuckled for a moment. “Impressive? You’re a funny one, Ms. Autumn. Just a rapier. But, no. You’re right. Certainly not a fisherman.” He said, focusing himself on the road again. “Really, the only reason I asked you to consider the knighthood is to be an advocate of Syliras, seeing that I, myself, am a squire. Newly joined, actually. Earlier this season. The eleventh, I believe… But no matter.” He said, resting his top left arm upon the hilt of his rapier. He turned, eyeing the girl for a moment. “Would you like me to carry your bags?” He asked, figuring that as long as he’s being uncharacteristic today, he might as well lend a helping hand. But only one. “You seem to be carrying an impressive load. I wouldn’t mind helping. Really.” He smiled at the girl, trying to be reassuring. She seemed to be struggling a bit, which isn’t much fun, Aventis would know. And there would be less chance of someone bumping into her belongings if a 6”5 man with a sword strapped to his side were carrying the load. “It’s really no trouble.”

Aventis

Aventis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Next