Completed The Hills are Alive (Black, Aoren)

With the sound of Trouble...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

The Hills are Alive (Black, Aoren)

Postby Aoren on November 11th, 2014, 8:40 pm

Aoren listened quietly as Jadlin spoke on his experiences leading up to the trial that had him vindicated. The Drykas Seer already knew some of what Jadlin was describing based on what he’d managed to gather thus far. Still, it was best to hear what he’d Seen from the mouth of the person whose eyes he’d witnessed some of the events. It helped bring into context some of the encounters and why Jadlin had been brought to trial. The way it sounded he was just a very lost, very confused young man who got wrapped up in the wrong situation at the wrong time. Aoren could understand that. Though he still had his qualms about the particular path of magic the young man deigned to practice, whether it had been forced upon him or not, he could look past that and see to the heart of the issue. If what Jadlin were saying was true Zeltiva was the young man’s first real experience with the open world. When the dark haired young man concluded his story Aoren nodded.

Thank you for telling me, Jadlin. Yes. I have been investigating the case of the Mage Silencer for much of the season. Your trial was brought to my attention for no other reason than it might yield a possible lead. Which is has. If I may? I can give meaning to some of what you spoke on. Firstly, Sagallius is indeed a very dark, terrible god. I know little of his actual realm of power but he and his followers are despised in a great many civilized cities. The Knights oppose him vehemently as I’m sure you’re well aware of.” A small smile touched Aoren’s face as he thought on the mention of Lykata. Aoren didn’t know much about the Goddess Eyris but she was a deity revered by the Knights of Sylir and indeed was a patron of the University.

Lykata is a gift from the Goddess, Eyris. She presides over knowledge and wisdom. I can’t tell you what it does specifically but those who bear her gifts are known to be very wise themselves.” Aoren contemplated the rest of the information that Jadlin had offered comparing it to things he had already learned. Some of the information would get him no further than he already was in the investigation but the mention of the supposed death of a thug at Jadlin’s hands, which must have been false given his obvious freedom, brought into light another question. If Jadlin hadn’t killed him, who had? For what reason? Aoren didn’t doubt that in finding the answer to that question he would be closer to finding the madman responsible for the murders in the city.

When the woman gave her answer Aoren studied her for a few moments. She was on edge. There was trouble written in her body language. She seemed distracted by the turmoil of her inner thoughts. The answer she gave was vague quite unlike the straightforward and lengthy explanation Jadlin had given. Never the less it was still an answer. For some reason, Aoren wasn’t quite convinced. He wasn’t a master at reading people. He was sorely tempted to probe her aura with his powers in Auristics. The urge was very strong. Almost to the point where he began reaching for his djed to make such a study a reality. It was only when his foot stumbled over a rock and he was forced to jut his quarterstaff outward to catch himself that he stopped. Aoren shook his head.

Close, Aoren. What were you thinking? You’re exhausted! No. No more magic.” Still, the urge was there. To search the planes of her aura and find answers he knew could very well be hidden there. He sighed righting himself and continuing on the road back to the city.

I see.” That was all the comment he gave her. Regardless, he was closer to finding answers than he had been before even if he’d only gained a small bit of information. He would have to meditate on what he’d learned. With a tired sigh he reached up pinching the bridge of his nose in thought. He squeezed his eyes closed feeling them water slightly before opening them back up again. He blinked a few times clearing the growing ache that was forming in the back of his head. His whole body ached if he were being honest. He came to a stop turning to face both Jadlin and Black.

I want to thank the both of you. You might not think you’ve told me anything but I did learn a few things I wasn’t aware of before.” Isikai lingered near Aoren brushing up against his leg. The dog eyed Black curiously but made no advances toward her nor did he appear threatening. He considered for a moment how he would repay them for aiding him in his investigation. However small the assistance might have been.

Is there a way that I can repay both of you?” Aoren awaited their answers. He was tired but they had been helpful and in that regard he owed them both a small debt and Aoren strove to repay his debts.
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Jadlin Hayes on November 12th, 2014, 3:21 am

Jad did a pair of double-takes over the information and situation. His double take toward Aoren was from the information regarding the evil of Sagallius, and the divine source of the Lykata. "I guess I always Knew Sagallius was the name of some evil, but I had thought it some sort of code name, or something like that. The cult members made use of a variety of magics to manipulate people to their ends. So I never attributed their agenda to a single source."

He looked down again, "Is Leeching something particularly known to be attributed to these "Sagallius types". Because Leeching was not the only ill-rumored type they used. I also learned a bit of Projection. I think they were using that to grab people and make them physically do things. I mean I saw them sometimes, concentrating on some person, and then that person would seem to be suddenly "controlled" by some outside force."

He stopped and turned to Aoren, a look of pleading in his eyes. "But you've got to know, I can't do anything like that. And I wouldn't if I could. But I can understand that when people find out I'm a Leecher, they think the worst. I told the people at the tribunal something like that, too. All I can do with Projection is maybe surprise someone with a poke in the eye, like I did on East Street. Just simple stuff for a quick distraction to gain an edge. I can't grab on to someone and make them jump off a bridge or draw their sword against their allies."

If the mage knew enough about the nature of Sagallius' foul gnosis power, he could probably have concluded easily enough that Jad knew nothing of it. Jad clearly believed that the things the villains were doing with 'Cordas', was being done with Projection. "And I want you to know too, that most of this stuff that I speak of now, is only recently coming back to me. At the trial in Syliras, it seemed all hazy and confusing, like half remembered nightmares. I didn't know what was real, so I couldn't really give it as testimony."

He stopped, a look of disgust coming across his face. "Now I understand something ...those bastards!... During the trial, I kept getting this notion running through my mind that it would be wrong of me to provide testimony I was unsure of." he looked back at Aoren, anger and betrayal in his eyes. "I bet they had another one of their members hidden at the trial, feeding me this shyke to keep me quiet." he hung his head a moment, shaking it in self-loathing at how easily he may have been duped.

He suddenly came to determined conclusion. "Well, it didn't work, thank the gods! I think those Sylirans have it right. Down with this Sagallius bastard, and praise to this ...what did you say? ...Ey-rees? Do we have a shrine to her specifically?" Or is that ...uh... "Cascading Fountain" the best we've got." he got suddenly self-conscious. "I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to suggest that folks should take their religious cues from ME. But I kind of think I need to send a few 'thank you' prayers her way. Her Lykata has totally gotten my life on track."

He looked over at Black for confirmation, and this was when he did his other double take. Black was clearly angry. It may not have been obvious to those that did not know her, but he could see it. Fortunately for her, he also knew it was the type of anger she did not want announced.

When she curbed her part of the dust-up on East Street so completely, Jad assumed it stemmed from that. He would have said right then that she needn't say anything about it, except, of course, for the fact that it would defeat the entire purpose. Honestly though, he didn't really see what more she could add to what he'd already told Aoren about the incident, so he said nothing about it either.

As they walked though, it seemed that she was still angry, rather than showing some sort of relief that he'd kept her out of it. But he made an effort to keep making comments when asked, so as to hide the fact that he was sidetracked by her attitude. 'What have I done? Or, what has Aoren done?' he asked himself silently, hoping the mage had taken no notice.
Jadlin Hayes - No Hurries, No Worries...
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Words: 187030
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2014, 6:15 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Black Onyx on November 12th, 2014, 7:10 am

The two men spoke about the goddess called Eyris and the young equine had to hold back an instant eye roll. She didn’t believe in the gods and goddesses, no she didn’t believe in them. How could she when she was constantly running for her life? When her parents had been murdered or when she had sat alone starving. It was NiNi who had picked her up, fed her, stolen some clothes for her and even taught her how to steal. It was he who had given her the tools and means to survive, not some god or goddess. Why people were so persistent about talking about them, Black didn’t know, but she did know that neither god nor goddess were interested in the struggles of those that lived upon the plains of Mizahar. In fact, she was sure that they preferred to keep their heads up in the clouds rather than help those that needed them the most. The young equine had lost her faith in the gods a long time ago, right about when she had lost her parents to their killer. Speaking of such, she should really pay their graves a visit at some point, for she had been so busy with stealing other people’s valuables that she had neglected to pay them a visit in over two years.

Aoren stopped in front of them and turned to face them, his words were words of thank you and she shook her head at them. She hated the words thank you, because it meant that people would begin to expect more from her and she just didn’t want to live up to people’s expectations. Half the time she only wanted to do what she wanted to do, but that was before she had met Jadlin. Then when she had met Jadlin, she had dedicated most of her life to keeping an eye on him, making sure that he was ok and generally making sure that he stayed smiling, even though that last bit didn’t really need much effort from her. However, it just hurt a little that he hadn’t told her about being locked up in the prison. She just couldn’t help but think about how scared that he might have been and if she had known, she would have visited him frequently while he had been there, she would have made sure that he was ok. Black just couldn’t believe that Jadlin had spent time in prison before she had, mostly because he was mostly a happy person and she a thief.

Black angled her head slightly to the right then as the man asked if he could somehow repay them. She didn’t think that he could repay her, for if they hadn’t of ran into the man, then she wouldn’t have found out that Jadlin had lied to her. However, she then knew that if this man hadn’t of come along, then she would probably be still running with Jadlin hanging on to her mane tightly as she galloped. Slowly she shook her head, her brown hues watching the man for a moment. ”I cannot speak for Jadlin, but my life is all that matters to me and you helped us out with those creatures… With the yukmen by doing your…” She paused for a moment to wave a hand around as if indicating the man’s magical moves. ”Magic thing.” She couldn’t actually really tell the man that she knew anything about magic, for she really didn’t know anything about it. The only time that she had seen magic in action was upon East Street and she had jumped in to help Jadlin face down the thugs. The very event that they were talking about.

Word Count619

Image Image Image
Active Threads: 3/5
Black Onyx
Sometimes, our scars define us

Words: 175802
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2014, 11:49 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aoren on November 16th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Aoren listening quietly, attentive to what both of them had to say. At least he was trying to be as attentive as he could with how tired he was. As they drew nearer to the city he felt that he had learned all he could from the both of them. It wasn’t as much as he would have hoped but he had gained more insight than when he’d first stumbled upon the both of them. With the outskirts of Zeltiva in sight it was time to go their separate ways. He came to a stop turning to regard the both of them.

Again, I thank both of you. To Jadlin, I leave you with this, be wary of the road that you are walking. While you might not have chosen the powers at your disposal they are now yours and yours alone. Darker purposes may have started you on this path but that does not mean you should let such beginnings define you. Define yourself, Jadlin.” Aoren studied the young man seeing something of himself in the one in front of him.

Find your own way. I can only hope that leads you to happiness.” Aoren turned to the brown eyed woman standing beside Jadlin. She was a rather difficult read. A book that would have been easier to decipher with the aid of his auristic vision but he daren’t draw upon those powers in his weakened state. However, he could see in her the same bitterness that he once saw in Ileera. A hate for the world that had so wronged her. In that moment Aoren felt the whisperings of Avalis grow stronger. The normally calm serenity brought on by the connection he shared with the Goddess of Foresight suddenly thrust itself upon him. The world before him fell away and Aoren lost himself in the earthen hues of Black’s gaze.

The world darkened and all around him Aoren heard the terrified screams of a dying woman. Before him lay the bodies of two people with a small girl desperately trying to scoop up the puddle of blood and push it back into their forms. As the vision faded all he could hear was the broken sobs of a wounded girl. No, not a physical wound. The ache of a chasm ripping open the deepest parts of a young heart. As Aoren returned to the realm of the here and now he was left with a whisper, a name to match the girl now grown woman before him.

Black Onyx.

To Black it would seem that Aoren’s cobalt blue gaze became distant and for no longer than the span of a breath he was staring not at her, but through her. After a blink of his eyes the penetrating quality of his gaze vanished but in its place came a knowing sadness. Aoren regarded Black not with pity but with understanding. For how could he not? He had lived, if only for a moment, in the life of the woman and in that moment her fears became his fears, her grief became his grief, and her agony became his agony. If possible, Aoren looked more tired than before.

There is a hate in you, Black Onyx. It burns with a terrible seething ache, a fire that refuses to be doused.” Aoren sighed closing his eyes contemplating on the meaning of what he saw. For the most part it was abundantly clear albeit it was tinged with the panic of many emotions and a young mind’s confusion. He would be spending the rest of the day in the Infirmary either asleep or in very deep meditation.

That hate will consume you if left to fester in the darkest parts of your soul. Find your peace or become lost in your anger.” Aoren offered nothing more than that. He gave each of them a bow of his head then turned taking his leave of them. It had been an exhausting day. With Isikai at his side he made his way back into Zeltiva immediately making his way toward the University and from there to the Infirmary so that he could rest. There would be time to compile everything that he’d uncovered. He was on the verge of a breakthrough. He could feel it. But such were tasks for another time.

NoteAnd with that, I thank both of you for this exciting and rather introspective thread!
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Shai on December 24th, 2014, 1:54 am

However hopeless the situation appears to be

There yet always exists the possibility of putting up a stubborn resistance

Jadlin :
Skills
Cooking 1
Planning 1
Socialization 5
Observation 5
Subterfuge 1
Land Navigation 1
Rhetoric 1
Flirting 1
Shortbow 1
Teaching 1
Riding (horse) 1
Tactics 2
Interrogation 1
Storytelling 1

Lore
A Name Cleared
Planning a Picnic
Black: How Long Can It Last
Testing Wind Strength with Grass
Aoren: A Reimancer
Fighting Yukmen
Shame of Leeching
Being Interrogated
Manipulated During the Trial!
Lykata: The Mark of Eyris

Issues
Mayo cannot be kept with the technology level available in Mizahar, it would become toxic fairly quickly.

Full word capitalizing is not an appropriate grammtical tool to emphasize a word. Try bold or italicizing instead.

Power gaming: Falling off the Horse. You cannot jump off a horse and land it with 7 in acrobatics. You need to be at least competent for falling safely off a running horse. If this thread was not ancient you would need a minimum at broken leg or arm. You received no experiance for this due to power gaming.

Power Gaming: Archery. I don’t even know where to begin. You have zero points in any bow skill, you explain advanced posture to Black which you have absolutely no knowledge of. When you have no experience in archery you would be lucky to draw the bowstring let alone fire an arrow at anything. Certainly nothing from a horse back, that is extremely difficult to do without a secure base. Nothing would hit. Please please please take into account your skill level when learning things. This kind of behavior is absolutely unacceptable. I have docked all of your experience in this skill except for 1 point to get you started.

Powergaming: ‘Close-quarters combat.’ Instinctive reactions in combat is something trained long and hard, you do not have the skills to support this level of reaction let alone the timing (see acrobatics).

Leeching: Leeching like any magic takes considerable time to accomplish, its not instantaneous. Further more a novice leecher is not able to leech djed from something to such a degree that it disintegrates. If you look at how it works on the lore page, leeching only completely removes a spell when the level difference is significant, this is not the case with Jadlin. Also dispelling the djed you have leeched from something does not mitigate the damage leeching does in any way. Expelling the edjed from your body simply means you utterly wasted it and poisoned yourself for nothing.

Shielding: Does not puddle, at-all, ever. They form to the structure they are shielding. Please read the lore pages for magics before utilizing them. Given that no effort was put into what the shield does nor what it shields it really isn’t a shield, and for that reason you have received no experiance for it.

This: "You have that 'Mage' look. Are you a caster of some sort?" Uh excuse me? No, no no no no no you cannot know this from just seeing him. No. You would need auristics, since nothing at all about Aoren's physical appearence makes him seem overtly magical, except perhaps the gnosis on his face but that doesn't make him a mage.

Black :
Skills
Interrogation 1
Socialization 5
Observation 5
Flirting 2
Rhetoric 2
Shortbow 1
Running 1
Unarmed 2
Subterfuge 1

Lores
Awkward Silences
One phrase for Sleepless Nights
Archery: Breathing Matters
Archery: ready position
Archery: rest position
Archery: anchor position
Aoren: A Mage
Fighting Yukmen
Aoren: A Seer

Aoren :
Skills
Interrogation 5
Investigation 4
Auristics 1
Animal husbandry 2
Meditation 1
Land Navigation 2
Tracking 3
Running 1
Quarter staff 1
Acrobatics 1
Reimancy 2
Intimidation 1
Leadership 1
Socialization 2
Teaching 1
Negotiation 1
Philosophy 1

Lore
Tracking Down A Witness
Following a Trail
Environmental signs of a yukmen swarm
Decimating Yukmen
Jadlin: A Leecher

Overgiving
For the next two weeks Aoren hears whispering just out of earshot, but only from his left ear. When eh's not paying attention the whispers can become louder, insisting that he could strike down miscreants with a single bolt of lightning. Wouldn't that be better for society?

Check :
If there are any concerns with my grading please feel free to toss me a PM. I am more than happy to explain my reasons or reevaluate them if you feel I've been unfair.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Words: 424135
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous