Frozen Fish (Aira)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Frozen Fish (Aira)

Postby Molly Barlow on January 23rd, 2015, 6:03 pm

Winter the 14th, 514AV

It was a constant twinge, like an itch you could never reach and so much a part of her that Molly had never noticed it before. Recently her stomach forced her notice it, growling and making a fuss so it dwelled on her mind relentlessly. To aggravate things the smell of the ocean was brought with the winds and reminded Molly of fish and that reminded her of her hunger.

“If I ever get my hands on the person who opened the stores…” She slammed the chest shut and sighed. It was an empty threat but it made her feel better every time she said it. They had a few pieces of dried fruit and a tiny dried fish. “Leo! I’m headed out!”

“For what?”

The beekeeper began to put on her shoes, hopping on one foot towards the hearth to add their last piece of wood. “Food, I’m hungry and—“ she leaned forward to plant a quick kiss on his cheek, “some of us can still go for walks.”

“Not cute.”

“I’ll be back!” Molly wrapped her cloak tight around her, like a blanket though it would do little to help with the Bonesnapper in full effect. Outside proved her cloak to be useless as she’d thought and precious few people walked about aimlessly. Everyone hurried, distracted, the same look of hunger and fear etched in as early wrinkles. Molly turned away from it all, too much like a mirror the season had yet to come full swing and the toll was already high. Words like starvation bounced around her mind.

She walked towards the docks, the beach, somewhere to keep her mind busy. Maybe she could find a fish. Molly sighed, recalling that the bay had frozen a few days before. Not all of it but the closer she walked she could see boats on the harbor but the sat still even in the wind, unable to unlock themselves from the still waters.

Molly said and stared out at the frozen waters and pulled her cloak tighter again but the wind tugged back as if it too wanted her cloak. It tore out of her chilled fingers, there was a quiet snap of the strings and it sailed out toward the waters. “Wait!”

But the cloak did not wait and Molly broke into an shrieking run, the cold oozed into her bones and threatened to freeze her from the inside out.
Molly Barlow
Busy Bees

Words: 32235
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2015, 12:11 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Frozen Fish (Aira)

Postby Aira Lyedan on January 23rd, 2015, 6:53 pm

It was odd when you suddenly got whipped by not just the wind while walking on the ice but by cloth. Aira jumped and ended up landing in a tangle of the cloak trying to blow away from her. She placed a piece in her mouth and went towards the direction of the shore, intent on storing it. It would be an odd sight surely to see an otter drag a cloak, but it was less a walk but more then several jumps and slides using the ice's lack of friction to sail across the ice. It was fun and Aira loved every moment of it.

Aira gave an otter chuckle which was an interesting sound surely as the wind and the cloak made her glide faster as she rode the bonesnapper into shore. She ended it with a roll as she hit the shore, the cloak and her body hitting into the body of poor Molly. Granted a small river otter was hardly something to affect your standing but startling none the less. When Aira finally came to looking up, she recognized Molly at once. She had babysat her when she was little. She would hope that Molly knew it was her.. she debated but didn't want to face the chill in her naked human form. But then again she had the cloak. She shifted at once and was now under Molly's cloak nude as the day she was born, shivering but in human form. " Miss Barlow!" She said shivering in the cloak but it was better than nothing, she was happy to see a friend. " I am cold in this form but, I don't wish to stay in it, It is too cold. I am sorry, I must change back "

Aira gave in shifting again and holding the cloak out to Molly, figuring she could communicate well enough like this. The woman didn't have one, perhaps it was hers? She offered it to the woman knowing she would benefit from it more than her. She stood up on her hind legs hoping to be picked up by the woman, then she could provide a bit of warmth to her friend and well she could do something. She had dried off from her adventure into the water, her waterproof pelt coming in handy. She had to go far away but she could get into the water the frozen parts were much greater than she ever imagined though.
Last edited by Aira Lyedan on January 27th, 2015, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aira Lyedan
Player

Words: 17158
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2015, 4:03 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Frozen Fish (Aira)

Postby Molly Barlow on January 24th, 2015, 4:54 am

The little pest ran with her clothes, racing and playing tug-o-war with the wind while Molly was halted by the end of surf. She didn't trust the frozen water to hold her weight and not surprise drop her into the water where she would surely turn into an ice sculpture. She needn't have worried or done a thing, the creature-an otter she discerned now that it came closer-was hurrying towards her at a frightening pace. Molly braced herself as the bundle of damp animal used her entire body to stop itself. "Hold it you little..."

Again, Molly needn't have said or done a thing because in the next second it was a familiar, yet more mature, face peering up at Molly through her cloak. She should have known because no other animal would be so brazen. "Aira! What are you doing?!" But, the Kelvic was back in otter form holding out the cloak in what Molly took as a peace offering. Greedily the beekeeper swathed herself in the cloak then hunched down and blew on red cold fingers. Steadily she peered at the older otter, not much different than a few seasons before. Never did have any sense, sweet as she was.

"Not cold? It's freezing out here, you know. And where is your change of clothes? What if you get stuck in human form when your tired or the ice cracks you should..." Molly flushed, her words whipped around them like a bad echo. Clearly the glimpse of woman under the cloak had been just that, woman. Old habits, as they say and she'd let her warnings to a child spill out. "Sorry." She couldn't resist. "Is the ice really safe?"

Molly reached out a frigid finger to feel the otters fur, slowly as to not startle her and give her time to pull back; there was an undercurrent of heat that spread out from the small body. At least she really was warm. As slowly as she reached out Molly pulled her hand back, blowing on them again to keep them warm. She’d only stay a bit longer, it had been a long while since she’d seen Aira. Although, it was near impossible to hold a proper conversation with her when she was like this.

“You look nice and plump. Still eating anything you can catch?”
Molly Barlow
Busy Bees

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Frozen Fish (Aira)

Postby Aira Lyedan on January 24th, 2015, 10:41 am

Aira changed back to speak, shivering and naked. "The ice is fine, very thick, I am actually having problems getting into the water, but I could get you food, too if you want." She said freezing her butt off so she could talk. "I can catch fish if I try hard enough. I could find you some Miss Barlow." Her body was curled up in a ball but she could talk this way. "Please, I know the ration house was broken into, I could get some fish for you and your mate. It wouldn't be much but I could do it... I just have to find a hole in the ice again and I can dive in. " She smiled, it was clear that she had been in the bay despite the cold. Her waterproof pelt and small body kept the heat in quite nicely.

Aira had started clinging to Molly, and slipping into the inside of her cloak with her, climbing up her leg like she was still a otter but then standing, totally violating any personal bubble the woman might have. It was warm under the cloak with Molly. She shivered and clung tightly to her." So cold..."

Aira giggled " Yes... it is much easier to eat as an otter... though it is harder with the winter. I just hope I can get good practice. I can fish for you though, Miss Barlow, as you seem hungry." She cared deeply for her friends, and her former babysitter was someone who had been nice to her. Aira was after an Kelvic, it was clear she was more than happy to be out here on the coast. Though her chattering teeth and shivering form was fighting the urge to shift so she could talk. Aira felt very comfortable around Molly.

It wasn't like with some other humans, she didn't like them they treated her oddly but with Molly, she was kind and worried about her. " I will help you..." She said looking up hoping that maybe molly would let her. She wanted to help a friend and as an otter she could go fishing for fish, though she couldn't catch enough for many but surely for a friend she could scrounge up a fish or 3.

She enjoyed helping out her family and well she didn't have any friends really, Molly was one she supposed. Otherwise she was too odd for the other children her human form being that of a young woman despite only being one. She didn't fit in. So she kept to herself. There was not much else to it. Aira just enjoyed life as she could, no use fretting over others as her mother had taught her. " Change back?" She asked wondering if maybe they could at least take it somewhere else.
Last edited by Aira Lyedan on January 27th, 2015, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aira Lyedan
Player

Character sheet

Frozen Fish (Aira)

Postby Molly Barlow on January 27th, 2015, 9:22 pm

Molly herself assaulted by a shivering body but a spark of warmth grew between them, naturally her arms wound around Aira. It would have looked like a pleasant hug between friends had Mollys face not shown equal parts ire and surprise, “Aira! How many times do I have to tell you not to change so often! And in this weather, you never think! You can nod you head or something.”

Her face blotched with embarrassment, the cold was the only thing that kept her from shoving the child away even when her stomach growled at the thought of free food. Aira looked so hopeful and earnest. Molly had never been able to deny the little animal a thing, not when she was so…so her. The chilled pulled her back and she gave Aira a gentle push.

“Hurry up and change! I’ll wait here and you’ve got ten minutes.” Or else Molly would freeze to death. “Even if you don’t catch anything, you hear? If not I’ll leave you here and you won’t be able to come visit me.”

The wind rustling as it was Molly could feel the chill now that the faint warmth of another body left. The cloak was even somewhat damp from Aira mouth or floating out along the bay. Molly settled herself into the surf to wait for Aira to finish her self-imposed task. Molly was torn between gratitude at the offer, offense and shock. The Kelvic had grown so quickly she was Molly’s age! Strange, when a few season ago Molly could have picked her up in both forms. She rested her chin in her hands and tried to lose herself in thoughts that didn’t revolve around the cool ground seeping up through her clothes. “Lucky girl!” Molly whispered to the otter and her fur.

But she doubted Aira could hear her so far out and she watched with only a bit of fear. Aira wasn’t a child for her to baby and she wasn’t her baby. Molly sighed, and shifted. It would be a long ten minutes.
Molly Barlow
Busy Bees

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Frozen Fish (Aira)

Postby Aira Lyedan on January 28th, 2015, 4:31 pm

Aira was a ball of light before she had even fully let go of Molly. She landed and made a run on the ice, sliding down it to move faster when she could using her tail as an rudder. She was a furry speed demon on a misson It took her a couple minutes to get out to where the water wasn't frozen and then she dove in. It was so much fun to be amongst the water.

She swam, the fish were sluggish in the water as she swam and detected some. It was exciting to do this for more than just her. She swam with all her might striking a big fish, It struggled and butted against her. She lost grip of it but she followed it biting it's tail and dragging it, but loosing it again. She darted at it working her way at the fish once more.

The battle continued as she clawed at it, still not very good at this whole fish catching thing. She rolled with it as she bit and clawed at it. The victory was near as the fish finally gave up and Aira was able to float to the top. It was going to be a pain to carry back to her friend but she could live with that. Aira pushed it up on to the ice and then jumped up herself. It was slow getting the fish to Molly but surely soon she would see the otter dragging a fish that was about her size across the ice by her mouth. She was going to find somewhere to curl up after this she thought, tired. It was slow, she normally would of just eaten it right at the ice but it was for molly. So she dragged the fish and was proably past the 10 minute mark by the time she got off the ice but she had been in sight surely so she wouldn't leave.

Aira waited the moment she hit the sand, hoping that Molly would take the fish from her. She didn't want to drag it against the ground. It would be harder than on the ice. as the ice had let her sort of push/drag it towards her destination. Aira breathed heavily and rested on the beach next to the fish as she was tending to her waterproof pelt. She hoped Molly liked the fish, it was hard to get.
Aira Lyedan
Player

Character sheet

Frozen Fish (Aira)

Postby Molly Barlow on January 29th, 2015, 3:53 am

Ten minutes had come and gone. Molly felt like her fingers might fall off or that her knees were so frozen in position that if she stood, they'd shatter like ice. She'd meant what she said when she'd said it but now...it was cold and the thought of Aira actually catching a fish made her stay. That and how long could she stay down? Molly pursed her lips then licked them nervously. The Kelvic had been down so long, what if something eaten her?

More than likely she'd gotten distracted by something else, Molly thought, amused despite herself. Her fingers flexed to loosen them up while she rocked to and fro to bring some feeling back into her legs. "Aira!"

The shout was whipped away from her lips and swirled around her ears but seemed much too quiet to have reached wherever Aira was. It didn't matter either way because said person was racing down the ice again, a mangled corpse dragging along with her. Mollys stomach growled at the sight even as her face scrunched up in disgust, her legs now had the sudden ability to move and rush up to meet the otter.

“Look at you! You can hunt!” Awe colored her voice until she spotted the otter cleaning herself, “I have to carry this don’t I?”

Molly made a face and whining to herself gripped the slippery fish. It was cold, slimy and there was blood on her. She had to crush it to her chest to get a good grip on it, dead or not it wiggled in her hands with its wetness. “Lovely, come Aira. I’ll cut you some to take to your folks.” As she spoke, Molly waved the Kelvic to her and leaned down to give the wet otter a kiss of thanks. It only occurred as they began walking that she had no idea how to cook fish, let alone if this thing was edible though it was heavy. The only thing keeping it in her arms was the urge to pull her limbs closer to keep them warm.

“Gross…” She said, feeling warmth drip on her fingers. Her steps quickened. The faster they got home, the faster she could drop the fish.

~~~~~~

"Leo!" The door blew open with the scent of fish and cold, and if her husband had been asleep he wasn't anymore. "Look who I've found!"

"Plenty of food?"

"Yes! Except Aira, she's not food. She's the Kelvic I sat for, you remember. Anyway, cut this fish while I get her something warm." Molly moved around with ease, tossing the fish on their table and slamming the door shut. Though she'd told Leo to cut the fish she pulled out a beaten up looking food knife herself then rummaged around for something to give Aira, when she came up empty handed she stripped her cloak and held it out.

"You're welcome to use this, unless you'd like to stay like that, cause you can. Just give me a minute to get this all rea...oh Gods!"

The beekeeper gave a little shriek as the knife bit into the fish and sent a splatter of guts onto her arm. She heard Leo roar with laughter and huffed while she tried again to no avail. Curiously she eyed the bit marks and the Kelvic, "Aira...do you think you could bit it in half?"

OOCI skipped over the whole walk home, unless you wanted to thread it and then I can edit as needed.
Molly Barlow
Busy Bees

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Frozen Fish (Aira)

Postby Aira Lyedan on January 29th, 2015, 5:04 am

Aira was rather proud and followed Molly with excitement. It was amusing to watch her carry the fish. She enjoyed the entire walk, following Molly and playing as she threw snow at Molly during at least part of the walk. When they finally arrived she was excited scurrying into the hovel and looking around. It was so neat and well she had to admit it was nice to be in a place with other people.

She had been a bit lonely of late so it was fun being with Molly. Aira giggled and changed wrapping herself with the cloak not minding at all as she wasn't very modest. The mostly nude woman took the knife and did what her mom did with fish. She cut the head off and then cut along the sides and giggled as she handed the head and bones to Molly, then she carefully cut off the scales. It was hard given the knife she had access to but she made it work.

Aira almost cut her self several times and it looked pretty good, for a beginner but any pro would laugh. She at least knew enough to know better than Molly she giggled. She had forgotten she was just wearing a cloak so hopefully Molly didn't mind the mostly nude Aira. She wondered what molly thought of her handy work. "Did I do it write? She asked as the table was covered in fish guts and scales.

Aira had learned a bit from her mother, as she was living on her own now. "I will get you more fish for you if your having problems with food..." She said looking at her with her eager wanting to please face. It was clear that Aira didn't mind at all helping her friend. She felt bad really, her parents weren't doing bad at all. Her dad being a kelvic meant he could hunt like her. She smiled and puled the cloak around her. "What is wrong with him?" hse asked noting his injury.
Aira Lyedan
Player

Character sheet

Frozen Fish (Aira)

Postby Molly Barlow on February 5th, 2015, 6:30 am

While Aira made to cut the fish Molly hummed in disapproval. She thought the girl should have stayed as a otter instead of making a mess of her house and herself, still she couldn't be ungrateful. "It looks lovely, Aira. But I'm not a cook so don't take my word, and here," Molly took the smaller portion of the fish, mangled as it was and shoved the larger carcass towards Aira, "you get the bigger half since you did the real work. And you don't have to worry about that, if everyone sees you fishing all the time you'll never be allowed to stop. We'll manage."

At Airas question Molly laughed. She laughed so hard her eyes welled up and Leo protested sleepily from their bed but Molly only laughed harder, struggling to speak between loud gulps of air, "A bar...he got in a fight and...and...he tripped! He tried to fight and...ate it!"

The mental image sent her into hysterics again until the scent of the fish choked her and her stomach hurt enough to make her glad of her hunger lest her food come back up. When she settled Molly wiped down the counter and wondered at prepping the fish, she always bought her without the...insides and sometimes even it was cooked. The gut she threw out the window for scavengers to steal away, eyes habitually checking her hive to ensure it was secure. Seeing it still standing she turned back and cocked her head at Aira.

"Would you like to stay? We can cook fish and you can sleep here, too. Tomorrow we can go out, ."

Molly waited for Aira to decide while she stared at the fish, wondering how to cook it. She had no skill in cooking, her mama cooked when Molly wanted something special. At the very least Molly knew she would never eat the rest of the guts. With a wince Molly pried opened the broken fish and hacked at the insides, using her nails to pull out whatever was inside. Then the fish was slapped haphazardly into the pan and thrown onto the hearth to be burnt and tasteless sustenance.
Molly Barlow
Busy Bees

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Frozen Fish (Aira)

Postby Aira Lyedan on February 10th, 2015, 5:08 pm

Aira cringed at what she watched being done to fish and cringed. " I will eat mine as an otter, I like it better raw. " She giggled and looked at Leo. " You fell? You should be more careful, my mom always said to watch where you step lest you hurt yourself." She said kindly as she sat at the table and played with the fish plotting to eat it as an otter, it would be tastier then. She would eat it now as a human but human teeth weren't as good at biting into the fish. She giggled and watched Molly cook. " You have cooked fish before right?" She asked as Molly seemed rather unused to cooking. She had watched her mom and this seemed rather different.

"Molly, I am suppose to get a job... but well I don't know what to do.. I would rather just swim all day as an otter. My mom made me promise to get one but I don't know what to do. " She said presenting a matter she needed advice on. " I don't know what I can do, I am not of much use outside of the water and coastline." She said playing with her bit of fish. She pulled a piece of raw meat and ate it. She smiled her kelvic stomach could handle what human stomach's couldn't.

She just sat there wondering what Molly and Leo were up to tonight. " I can spend the night! That would be fun! " She said with a giggle " That is if you will play with me... I liked when you watched me." Aira was an otter, it was obvious, she usually played with anyone she could convince to, wether that be swiming with other otter's or playing keep away from the neghborhood dog. She always could find someway to entertain herself.
Aira Lyedan
Player

Character sheet

Next