Completed Healing Hands [Job Thread 2]

Enthere heals, or tries to...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Healing Hands [Job Thread 2]

Postby Enthere on November 24th, 2014, 2:03 pm

75th of Fall, 514 AV

Enthere stood outside a small wooden building, slightly ramshackle in appearance. She let out a shallow breath of air, and was surprised to see it mist in front of her face. It was getting colder. She shifted the burlap bag of medical equipment on her shoulder, loathe to go inside, or knock even. This was the only part of her job she might actually despise; house calls. Of course, even those that were to ill or injured to make it to the clinic needed healing, more than most, actually. Enthere just wasn't good in personal situations, and these events always seemed to get more personal.

The Kelvic finally summed up the nerve to knock on the door. Maybe no one's home, she thought hopefully. Though that would contradict the purpose of such a visit, and Enthere would have wasted a good deal of time. The house that she was attending was almost on the completely opposite side from the University district. Finally someone opened the door, it was an older man with a long white beard and the rough hands of a fisherman. He stared at her, looking confused."I'm from the Infirmary," Enthere said bluntly. The elderly man blinked owlishly, taking in her appearance.

"Yes...of course." He finally said, opening the door wider to admit Enthere. The interior of the house was chill and dry, barely warmer than the air outside. The furniture was stout, but well worn and smelled of dust and poverty. Enthere wondered why the Mistress had sent her here. She had told her that the patient was an old woman, who had been having a dreadful cough, but Enthere knew little else. She turned to the man, "where's the patient?" She asked, her eyes shifting to the door. She couldn't help it, the house was cold and claustrophobic and the old man made her nervous. He wasn't threatening, he was just...sad looking. Sad, and old, and weak.

Again the man's reply was slow, "she's upstairs."
Last edited by Enthere on December 30th, 2014, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere
Surviving. Fighting. Healing. Freeing.

Words: 56259
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2014, 4:32 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Enthere on December 3rd, 2014, 9:06 pm

The stairs were splintered, and creaked as they climbed. Past them was the cramped attic level of the building. Enthere followed a step behind the elderly man as he approached a bed smothered in patchwork quilts. Upon reaching the bed, Enthere moved past the man to inspect her patient. The woman, though sitting up, was barely visible in a cacoon of blankets. The old woman coughed. "Hello," she said with a frail smile. Her green eyes were lively, even in the attics darkness. "Hello...I'm Enthere." The Kelvic said. She could see fine in the darkness with her cat-like eyes, but she wasn't sure the old woman could. She turned to the old man. "Do you have a lantern or candle?" She asked. He nodded. "Good, go fetch it." Enthere was vaguely surprised when the man did as she told.

The candle was bright. It gave the cold, dim attic an almost cheery atmosphere. "There," Enthere said when it was placed on the wooden nightstand. She didn't really know where to go from there, though. She checked the old woman's temperature, here forehead felt fine. Then she made the woman open her mouth to see if there was a phlegmy coating on her tongue. There wasn't. When she had finished checking her over, the old woman coughed. "I'm afraid you can't help me." She said, her weak smile had returned.

Enthere crouched beside the low bed, bringing herself closer to the woman. "I...don't know what you mean. I can give you tea for your cough, if you mix it with honey it should help. Your cough should go away in a few days. Its a simple problem."

The old woman shook her head, "I don't know why Andrew sent for you, Its not the cough that ails me. It's age. Plain and-" she stopped to cough, "-simple." Enthere frowned. Truthfully, she hadn't thought the old woman's cough would improve much, but a few days of treatment could have done her good. The elder woman was obviously in poor condition. Maybe she should have her moved to the infirmary. The woman seemed to follow her trail of thought. "Nothing you can do," she said, "I'm dying-but don't tell Andrew. He's having a hard enough time as it is."
Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Enthere on December 4th, 2014, 1:08 am

She couldn't help. That sudden, terrible realization deepened Enthere's frown, and hardened her eyes. This wasn't how it was supposed to be. She could dislike that she had to make house calls and talk to strangers, she could hate it when a patient of the infirmary had to loose a limb, but she simply couldn't face it when a patient died. Enthere had never had one of her patients die, but she remembered a time when her bondmate lost one. She remembered what it did to him, how it depressed him and made his eyes glass-like. It would do the same to her.

Enthere broke out of her revere with a tiny shake of her head. Her gaze had dropped to the floor while she thought, and she raised it with a jerk. "What is your name?" She asked the elder woman. The woman smiled, she did that quite a lot, despite her condition. "Vera," she said, reaching a weathered hand out of her blanket cocoon to touch Enthere's shoulder. "What's your name, dear?"

"Enthere," She said, putting her own hand on top of Vera's old one. Then Enthere stood, taking a few items from her satchel. "I will be right back." She told the old woman, then proceeded back down the stairs to find the old man, Andrew. He was in the main room of the house, which was the only other room besides the attic bedroom. "I need to make tea," she said, holding up the bag. Andrew nodded gruffly, took the bag and began making tea. Enthere sat on a nearby stool. "Do you have any honey?...Andrew?" She asked carefully. There was something odd about the man, though she couldn't put her finger on it. It wasn't just that he was sad, it was that...she wasn't entirely sure why he was sad. He certainly knew that his wife was dying, but his sorrow seemed deeper, or it was possible that Enthere could be imagining things. The old man nodded again, sitting on his own stool while the tea brewed. Enthere was surprised when he spoke. "M'not Andrew." He said quietly. "Andrew's my son."

Enthere looked at the man skeptically. He noticed her look and shook his head, "she ain't right in the head, got the old sickness. I thought maybe y'could help, see'n as yer from the Infirm'ry..." Enthere didn't know how to answer that, so she didn't, and the man continued. "I dun't know how she forgot me, but she ain't right."

It all kept getting worse. There wasn't anything she could do for the senile old woman, or the heartbroken old man. Enthere felt ill. In one day she had discovered two diseases she couldn't heal.

"I'm sorry." She whispered.
Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Enthere on December 27th, 2014, 10:55 pm

If Enthere was anything, she was determined. Especially in her calling as a healer. She strove to make as much of a difference as possible in the old folks' lives while she was here. She began by taking a hot mug of tea, mixed with honey, to Vera.
Vera took the cup with trembling hands. She offered a smile to Enthere as she sipped.

The strong drink restored some of the elder woman's color, and her cough abated, barely. She instructed the old man, who's name she found was Eli, to give his wife the tea twice a day, and to only let her drink heated water, to keep her warm.

There was a tiny window in the attic wall, covered by a single curtain. Enthere opened it; the air inside was just as cold as that outdoors, and the window was facing away from the bone chilling sea winds. Vera seemed to like the fresh air, taking in big breaths of it. Enthere wondered why the window hadn't been opened before, maybe Eli had thought it would be bad for Vera's cough. Still, cough or no, everyone, even bed-ridden elders, needed fresh air. The Kelvic didn't know how anyone could do without it. She would close the window when she left.

There was nothing she could do for the old man. Heartsickness, or whatever it was he had fallen ill of, wasn't something she could heal. She also feared that there would only be more heartache to come, the elderwoman wasn't likely to last until winter. Eli would have to weather the cold season alone. It was a sad fate.

Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Enthere on December 30th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Darkness was falling when she left the little shack. Eli shut the door behind her with a solemn farewell, leaving Enthere alone in the cold. Her heart felt as cold and gray as the autumn sky. Nothing had gone as planned, and though she hadn't known what lay in store for her when she earlier approached the house, she had not imagined it to be such a wearying encounter.

She scuffed the frosty ground with a booted foot, sending ice and dirt spraying against her legs as she walked. She hunched against the wind and held her bag against her chest. She pondered the day in her head, turning over more grim details, noticing for the first time how short life was. The Kelvic wouldn't live nearly as long as most humans, and even their lives seemed much to small, much to little time to live. I guess theres a limit to how long someone can suffer, she thought bleakly. Certainly there were people who could go their whole lives without unbearable amounts of trial, but most of the world had to cope with suffering and loss on a regular basis.

There was one thing she found comfort in, and that was the fact that her elderly patient of the day wasn't alone. She had something Enthere had lost, and somehow that didn't make the lanky Kelvic bitter, it made her happy. The feeling was strange, especially considering her bleak thoughts, but she was happy that not everyone lived their lives with no one to share it with.

Enthere turned her thoughts away from the past with a sigh, continuing on her way.

Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Zandelia on February 4th, 2015, 12:08 am

Enthere :
Skills
Observation – 3
Socialization – 2
Leadership – 1
Medicine - 2

Lores
House Calls: A Necessary Evil
Medicine: Basic Cough Checks
Medicine: Tea For A Cough
Death: A Healer’s Bane
The Grim Reality Of Life’s Length
Incurable: Senility
Incurable: Heartbreak

Notes :
A nice little thread. It’s good to see some gritty negativity and reflection from a healer. Keep it up!

Any questions or concerns please PM me. As always, keep writing!
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)