Solo War Horse [Narvaen Stables]

Enthere goes back to the stables to settle something, and gets more than she bargained for.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

War Horse [Narvaen Stables]

Postby Enthere on February 9th, 2015, 1:23 am

80th of Winter, 514 AV

The road to the stables was long. Enthere trudged through mucky snow. The road was nearly empty, but it was obvious that it was well traveled. People and horses left a mess of mud and ice that could be fatal to the unwary. The previously green-brown fields looked different covered in snow. Much of the white snow-covered fields were pristine, sparkling in the sunlight. The usual occupants shut away for the winter. Some of the fields closer to the stables held horses, huddled together for warmth. As she approached, carefully picking her way through across the icy road, Enthere recognised one of the horses.

The stables had a strange hold upon the Kelvic. She had only been on their grounds once before, but since then a part of her wanted to return. Humans kept themselves separated from the wilderness, yet they allowed a part of the wild into their man built sanctuaries in the form of horses. Enthere wanted to know why. What was so special about these beasts?

The horse she recognised was a large one she remembered as a Tiaden. He had been sick when she was here before, now he was gamboling in the pastures. He seemed quite playful. He ran about the field, kicking up snow and turning the pure white pasture into a churned mess of brown slush. Enthere walked to the edge of the road, where it was less muddy, and leaned on the fence to watch him. He was wild. Powerful and elegant. Beautiful.

The horse arched his neck as he ran, snorting white mist from his nostrils. He kicked several large clots of soil into the air, then spun on his hind legs and ran, kicking in the opposite direction. Enthere was glad to see him with spirit, some healer had done their work for him since she'd been there before. The sight of him playing made her strangely happy. The Kelvic felt what humans must have felt when they decided to allow such unruly creatures into their midst: admiration.
Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere
Surviving. Fighting. Healing. Freeing.

Words: 56259
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2014, 4:32 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Enthere on February 17th, 2015, 12:49 am

Then, as quick as he'd been running, the horse stopped and stood still. His ears pricked in Enthere's direction, and he turned his big dark head to look at her, noticing her for the first time. He picked up his enormous hooves again and trotted towards her. Enthere waited for the inevitable flare of nostrils, the ear-flattening that signaled fear, and then the shying back away from her. Enthere was no expert on horses, but she had learned to read those signals. They clearly defined the line between predator and prey.

But the horse didn't shy away. He trotted right up to Enthere and blew hot misty air on her face. Enthere instinctually huffed back in annoyance and surprise. Why didn't the horse run away? She stood stone-still, waiting for him to high-tail it away from her The Kelvic was half afraid he would run, half afraid he wouldn't.

"Go on then,"
she said finally, fully convinced she had scared the horse so properly that it couldn't think right anymore. Maybe she had ruined it. Could you ruin a horse by scaring it? The horse didn't listen to her words, or mind her cougar smell. He pushed his broad chest against the fence and nosed her as if searching for something. A thought occurred to Enthere; this horse was a war horse. And a very large one at that. He must not be afraid of tiny little cougars, he could squish them with one stamp of his hoof.

At that thought, Enthere took a step back. He wasn't trying to crush her, was he?

His neck was long and sleek, and even after stepping a way a few paces, he could gently probe her with his nose. Thankfully, the giant was gentle, and Enthere found herself quickly warming up to him. She patted his soft black nose and felt the bristly hairs of his forehead. The horse pushed his head against her hand and rubbed back energetically.

"I don't like my forehead rubbed,"
Enthere said curiously. "But I suppose you can't reach yours, so it gets itchy?" Obviously the horse wasn't going to answer her, but Enthere liked to think he replied affirmatively in his own language.

"But what are you called? I called my last horse Friend, but that didn't work out well."
Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Enthere on February 17th, 2015, 1:01 am

A stable hand sweeping out the stables saw them out by the fence, and walked over. "Aye' Whatch'ya doin' out here?" He asked with a strong Zeltivan accent, leaning against the fence and eyeing them.

"Oh," Enthere said, frustrated that she let the man sneak up on her. "I am looking for a horse."

"Mmm," he replied, still eyeing the small Kelvic beside the enormous horse. "I don't think this is the beast for ye, 'e's a bit big fer ya."

Enthere almost had to agree with the man, it was very unlikely that she would be able to handle a war horse, and this one seemed especially bulky. However, he was the only horse she had ever made any sort of connection with, and she definitely wanted to take him if the stable was selling.

She straightened to her full height, bristling as much as she could in human form. She tried to look formidable, but it was difficult when standing in the shadow of the horse. "I can handle him. I have experience with horses. Is he for sale?"

The stableman frowned at her, unconvinced, but still willing to make a sale. "Mmm, yep, he is. He ain't good fer warin' not since he was sick." He said sick like he knew she would balk at that, but she didn't. Enthere was determined that this was the only horse for her, no matter how unwieldy. "That doesn't matter-I know he was sick. I assume he can still be ridden?"

The stableman nodded slowly, in his lazy manner. "Yep, as good as any horse for that, just not fer warin'."
Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets