Martial Arts?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Martial Arts?

Postby Nero Czan on November 29th, 2009, 12:03 am

While taking my first steps and following all the guides earlier this morning, I noticed in the skill guide a section about making skills. I'm curious about what progress/skills are out there concerning the field of martial arts. I picked up Unarmed Combat in the sense that it's basically the same, but I'm wondering if anyones got any tips on going about maybe making my own ^^" I already have the few pointers from the guide concerning this (Hence why I'm even posting here), and I'm just curious about the public's view on this.

EDIT: While checking out some of the relevant topics in the Lore, I noticed Flux (Which is going to be a integral part of this I'd thing) and saw it had a progression chart at the bottom... Is the control over the flux and "Djed" a skill, 'cause it wasn't in the list from earlier. I'm just curious, 'cause it has some similarities to real-world Chi, which is eternally tied to martial arts. Thanks for the help ^^
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Image
Nero Czan
"Lead by Example, Protect by Force."

Words: 121734
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2009, 2:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Re: Martial Arts?

Postby Gossamer on November 29th, 2009, 3:12 am

Martial Arts are a tricky thing. We put up unarmed combat because its a gaming staple - you must have something even if its just back alley fistacuffs. However with martial arts the danger in developing multiple styles is that they all seem to start running together. They usually in other games teach the same basic things... three stances, three punches, three blocks, three kicks. The trick in developing a new style is to make it unique... give it something that stands out.

I know my pc has already learned Ry'vata - an aerial kick boxing style of martial arts that emphasizes defense over offense. I look forward to taking her further in it. Like tons
of other things, it still needs written up.

Coatl is developing a style for the Akalak too.

Here is a little guide to help you think about progression if/when you decide to develop your own style.

Novice (1-25) -Basic stances, kicks, punches, and most importantly philosophy/history of the artform.
Competent (26-50) - Can hold their own....fighting and teaching. Can keep themselves fairly well defended.

Expert (51-75) - They know everything about this artform - live, breathe it...

Master (76-100) - Your skill is godly. You pull off shit that should not be possible. Watching you preform this skill will make people openly weap at the pure beauty and knowledge you display.

Hope this helps.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Nero Czan on November 29th, 2009, 3:22 am

Thanks ^^ That helps a lot actually. I enjoy martial arts (Currently taking yet another actually) and I think I have a somewhat rough idea.Basically, a kick-centric art, with an emphasis on fluidity and speed. Seeing as it is from a Drykan tribe, I think that resembles them a bit. Novice would have him know a couple basic forms/patterns, and his flexibility would start to increase a bit, but his ability isn't exactly battle-ready, and is basing more on the discipline side for now. Competent would be where his flexibility and reflexes are getting to the point where he's now quick enough to actually fight, as well as finally getting a grasp on the meaning behind the moves, Which would be along the lines of the natural flow of the body and fluidity behind the moves (I might try and integrate Flux into this somehow, if i can >.>"). Expert would have him know all the techniques and moves of the art, with just a slight amount of room for improvement power-wise and reach-wise. His speed is still fast, but it could be faster. He also doesn't have a full mental grasp on the art, and hasn't been able to completely integrate his mind and body into a fluid motion. Master would make him the fastest, most flexible (for Reach), and mentally conditioned that he can be.

That's a rough idea ^^" Thoughts and comments would be appreciated from any who care to.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Image
Nero Czan

Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on November 29th, 2009, 5:03 am

Ry'vata - an aerial kick boxing style of martial arts that emphasizes defense over offense...how would a kick-centric style be any different knowing you havent read a writeup on Ry'vata yet? And based on the fact that the Drykas writeup isnt in yet how are you going to make your form reflect the Drykas?
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Nero Czan on November 29th, 2009, 1:41 pm

Umm... I was just going off the little summary on the lore. In my mind a culture that idolizes the horse and with it nature would be a pretty fit and fast people. Although I guess it could go the other way since why practice running when you ride horses everywhere. I guess I do need a bit more info then ^^" And the reason I picked a kick-centric one is that's the art I'm personally the most familiar with. If it feels too much like yours I won't hesitate to mix it up a bit :P
Nero Czan

Character sheet

Postby Orion Lorgan on November 29th, 2009, 3:19 pm

Heh I've been wanting to take some sort of martial arts for some time. Probably gonna just go with karate, then move up from there... That and I want to go into fencing as I already know how to handle rifles and such. Now, need to get something to eat really quickly and back to searching the forum for other topics.
"A good defense is a good offense." -General George S. Patton

"I have a rendezvous with Death. At some disputed barricade, it may be He shall take my hand, and lead me into His dark land, and close my eyes and quench my breath. I have a rendezvous with Death. And I to my pledged word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous." Part of 'Rendezvous with Death' by Alan Seeger
Orion Lorgan
The Nighthawk

Words: 9507
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Nero Czan on November 29th, 2009, 3:27 pm

It's one of the best things you can do mate ^^ I took Karate a few years back, learned a bit of Judo, and am currently taking Taekwondo. It's great exercise and feels just awesome :P
Nero Czan

Character sheet

Postby Orion Lorgan on November 29th, 2009, 3:41 pm

Ya Ive heard its very relaxing. A couple of my cousins take it, so heard from people I know. Anyways, hoping this summer when not in the middle of the school-year to take it. I already get a good deal of excercise as I'm in JROTC and do a after-school activity called Raider Team (basically a team that does stuff we'd do in Basic Training, such as running, push-ups and sit-ups, jumping 6 foot walls, the usual), and it's a lot of fun. Anyways would love to take Karate, looking forward to getting into it. Was considering taking Wrestling in school, though thats a bit differant then what I would like. Probably will take it one of my school years though before I go to collage then the Army, when I won't have time to do all that... I got a busy many years ahead of me if all goes as planned. O_O

"I have a rendezvous with Death. At some disputed barricade, it may be He shall take my hand, and lead me into His dark land, and close my eyes and quench my breath. I have a rendezvous with Death. And I to my pledged word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous." Part of 'Rendezvous with Death' by Alan Seeger
Orion Lorgan
The Nighthawk

Character sheet

Postby Nero Czan on November 29th, 2009, 3:45 pm

^^ Well good luck with that. At least you HAVE a plan. Many pals I know don't even know what the hell they're going to do past High school. (Which I find retarded, but let them deal with it...)

PS. If anyone has any comments about the original topic of this thread, feel free to re-rail it ^^"
Nero Czan

Character sheet

Postby Orion Lorgan on November 29th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Uhh... ... .... .... *??? Brain empty. Poofs away*

I'll leave this topic alone and on-topic now heh...

Orion Lorgan
The Nighthawk

Character sheet

Next