Martial Arts?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Re: Martial Arts?

Postby Gossamer on November 29th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Thread hijacking! Let me just sharpen my wet noodle.....
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Nero Czan on November 29th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Not the Noodle!!! : O
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Image
Nero Czan
"Lead by Example, Protect by Force."

Words: 121734
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2009, 2:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on November 29th, 2009, 7:48 pm

Yes....the very evil wet noodle of punishment. :P Now you guys all go post something IC!
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Nero Czan on November 29th, 2009, 7:49 pm

About that... I'm waiting for him XD I'd think it'd be pretty un-rp-ish if Nero was at two places at once, so I'm on break : P
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Image
Nero Czan

Character sheet

Postby Siiri on December 1st, 2009, 4:43 am

Hi martial arts fans! (and Goss, of course!)

Mind if I share..? You have no choice anyway, haha! XD

I've had similar questions before but Goss already answered some of them in chat (thanks again btw!), and because of that I've decided to keep Unarmed Combat for my character, who specializes in grappling but has sufficient skills in striking to hold her own in a standing fight. I sort of had a problem with UC in that, while it covers all unarmed fighting skills, it doesn't tell what your character is specifically skilled at. I could make a new skill for my PC of course but what if she learns throws or wrestling later on in her adventures and incorporates it in her fighting style? I mean, if let's say I made a new skill for the particular discipline of my PC, does that mean that's the only skill she will use in unarmed combat? Probably not, or else she becomes predictable if her opponent has encountered the style before. My point is, I think the martial arts skill of a fighter evolves as she devises counters to new moves she encounters and cover up vulnerabilities she discovers in her own attack style. So I stayed with Unarmed Combat. ^_^

Btw, Taekwondo is cool, but Muay Thai kicks are the bomb! I've sparred with one I have to say the experience was... not pleasant. They use their legs like they're baseball bats! >.<
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Nero Czan on December 1st, 2009, 7:59 pm

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking of keeping the martial arts thing sort of "unofficial" (As in not a skill and what not) ^^

Muay Thai is ruthless. XD Their signature kick, where they jump on your leg and shoot themselves up to knee you in the face, is just insane when a true master does it. I still prefer my Tae though :P
Nero Czan

Character sheet

Previous