Closed Interview at Alements. ( Evalin )

Tristann goes looking for a job at Alements.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Interview at Alements. ( Evalin )

Postby Tristann on March 3rd, 2015, 1:17 am

Timestamp: 15th day of Spring 515AV, Evening.

As it darkened on the evening of the 15th day of spring Tristann approached Alements drawing looks from the non Akalak denizens he passed due to his choice of clothing.

He had a cloak pulled down over his face and walked in full armour, Tristann however was unaware of the looks following him as he considered how to go about enquiring after a job.
He'd never been in Alements before but it had a good reputation and he'd heard it payed well drawing Tristann interest because money was something he would need a lot of if he was ever to explore beyond Riverfall.

Shrugging his shoulders Tristann slipped inside for once greatful for his deficiency in size as it made the room feel bigger, something he was greatful for dislking being in enclosed spaces, he'd barely been inside for a minute but already longed to return to the darkness and open skies visible through the windows.

Approaching the bar Tristann hesitated for a moment unsure of what to do before squaring his shoulder.
" I didn't spend year's dreaming of the world beyond Riverfall to be defeated by nerves damnit. " He thought to himself as he motioned towards a bartender.

As he approached Tristann realized somewhat belatedly that for once both halves of his personality seemed to be in balance, something that he struggled to accomplish on his best day after years of trying to supress his darker halves more violent impulses.

" Greeting sir, I'd like to enquire about a job here, is somebody around that I could speak with? "
“I am also, well… I’m in awe. He’s killed people, and saved people. He’s fought monsters, and he’s fought men who became monsters. He’s saved kingdoms and toppled empires. Now he has set himself against the gods to save a universe… and I used to change his diapers. I used to yell at him to make his bed.”
Tristann
For her, I'd burn the world.

Words: 8972
Joined roleplay: February 15th, 2015, 2:21 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Postby Evalin on March 4th, 2015, 10:11 pm

it was like Evalin could breath again, and her mind was free of the fog that had crowded her skull and dulled her wits. The more Evalin moved, and thought, the more she smiled within her soul for the freedom she had lost seemed to have been regained once more. Who had she been during Fall and Winter? Surely not her true self, for looking back those thoughts and actions belonged only to a weak and foolish creature who could not, nor ever would be, Evalin.

Up until now Evalin had remained away from the Alements when the sun still hung in the sky, but with the release of the curse upon her mind the Immortal realized... what care she what the pathetic worms of this city thought of her? Let them be as frightened and cowed as they like, for in truth they should be! Know they not that a greater being than they walked in the presence? In any case the nuit had casts aside that strange fear that kept her away during the times of active business to the establishment, and so she was near when Tristann first walked through the door.

At first Evalin paid him no mind as she leaned against the counter, eyes scanning the crowed with a look of disinterest, but when she heard him inquire as to a job those eyes of red quickly glanced his way, lingering as she looked him up and down. He was an Akalak... or at least the Immortal thought he was, but he was small. Pathetically so in fact, and it made the Immortal sneer. Still it was rare that something of interest walked through those doors, and it just so happened that Evalin was indeed up for a game.

"Come child, bother not this man and let him work. If you wish to know of work here then come speak with me." Evalin raised her hand to wave at Tristann, smiling a thin lipped smile as she ushered him closer to stand before her on the other side of the bar. This day the Nuit wore a simple cotton dress, black as her own hair, that was of a modest cut at the neck and shoulders. Her skin was pale, like it had never seen the light even a day in her life, and when she smiled a full smile when he approached she revealed her slightly pointed teeth and elongated canines.

"Who are you, and why do you seek employment here of all places?" Shifting ever so slightly so she could lean on the counter closer to Tristan, the blue gem swinging gently where it hung around her neck as one hand tapped the wood of the bar with a sharp black nail, eyeing him curiously as she awaited his response.
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Tristann on March 4th, 2015, 11:24 pm

As he looked at the woman Tristann was stunned, a slight flush coming to his face as he struggled to arrange his thoughts.
" She's beautiful. " He thought, almost instantly followed by " She's dangerous. "

Getting a grip on himself Tristann hesitated for a moment before lowering his hood exposing a bandage wrapped around his neck and vanishing down the right hand side of his body.
Meeting her eyes for the first time as he responded he tried and failed to force the flush from his face.
" I'm not a child, I came here because Alements has a good reputation to see if your in need of any security.
Don't let my size fool you I'm far more dangerous then I look as a few slavers recently learned. "

Forcing as much confidence into his voice as he could muster he continued speaking hurriedly to get the words out before he lost his nerve.
" If I'd known I'd meet a woman as beautiful as you here I'd have come much sooner. "
“I am also, well… I’m in awe. He’s killed people, and saved people. He’s fought monsters, and he’s fought men who became monsters. He’s saved kingdoms and toppled empires. Now he has set himself against the gods to save a universe… and I used to change his diapers. I used to yell at him to make his bed.”
Tristann

Character sheet

Postby Evalin on March 5th, 2015, 4:41 pm

Evalin blinked and raised an eyebrow, the smile slipping somewhat from her lips as she absently twisted the gem at her neck, "Your flattery is misplaced and holds no sway over me. If such is your only tool to convince me of your merit then it would be best you make your way from this place at once." Her voice was not angry or annoyed, rather it was like she did not care at all.

She fell silent then for a tick, examining him closer with an appraising eye, "You are an Akalak, are you not? Often your kind are much more..." she waved her hand in Tristann's direction, indicating his width and height before leaning on the counter once more, "Were you born with some deficiency? I fear if you are indeed a sickly welp you will be of no use to us here."

And no use to me. Evalin thought. The last thing the Immortal wanted was to be forced to babysit the runt of the Akalak litter. Though he might still be of an average size for a human, in what way was a human styled Akalak of use to anyone or anything? Better it would be to kill himself now so as not to suffer the shame of being the weakest of a race of giants.

Perhaps my master is being a bit harsh on the poor creature. Tsenrika's cold voice inched its way into Evalin's mind, Remember you not from whence you came?

How ever could I forget. The nuit did, indeed remember. Long long ago, when she was still among the living, she had been born with a body so weak and frail she was due to pass on to the next life without having done anything at all. Just the memory made Evalin disgusted at the thought of her past state, I was a weak and pathetic thing. Neither would I have taken mercy on myself then.

But someone DID offer you a chance. Surely the great Evalin could do the same, if it might lead to fortune in times to come.

"Tell me then, what is your name child and what skills have you to offer us?" Evalin finally asked, mentally shrugging at Tsenrika and letting his words dissipate to the back of her mind for now.

ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Tristann on March 5th, 2015, 5:58 pm

His confidence growing as she mentioned his size Tristann smiled warmly.
" Ahh, familiar ground. " He thought before dropping his hands out of view to return with a knife in each held backhanded, blades running along the underside of his arms.

" You are far from the most impossing person to make the mistake of assuming that my stature makes me weak.
Guess I took after my mother that way, people always thought she was weak too for being small, my lack of size is a trait that I make up for with agility and by forcing my opponent to fight on my terms, I'll be more then happy to prove it in any test you care to name."

Setting the knives down on the counter before him Tristann held a hand out.
" I'm Tristann, it's a pleasure to meet you, as for my skills. I'm good with knives in 1 or both hands. I'm good with my feet and fists and and I'm good at staying out of sight, something my size is very helpful with.

Oh and you are beautiful, it's not an attempt at flattery it's simply a compliment. "
Tristann

Character sheet

Postby Evalin on March 10th, 2015, 8:56 pm

Evalin barely glanced at the blades as they were brought into view. Instead those eyes of red drifted down, examining the rest of him as he moved.

He does enjoy the sound of his own voice does he not...

Says she who converses often with the air. the Immortal could almost see the familiar's smile as those words filtered through her mind, and it set her lips slightly down as her eyes came back up to search Tristann's face.

"Certainly I would hope that you would find a frail woman such as myself less imposing than most, though if you indeed take after your mother perhaps other traits of femininity have transferred as well." She replied softly, standing straight and folding her hands at her waist, making no move to accept Tristann's invitation of greeting, "However if you call me beautiful once more I will kill you myself and end your father's shame, and my own annoyance."

Glancing over her shoulder at a beautiful man with horns, Evalin chewed her cheek as she thought, "Still, you may be of use..." There was something Evalin had been meaning to take care of for some time now, and in truth she did not care to bloody her own hands with the matter. Thus why not have someone else do it for her...

"Very well then child." The smile returned as Evalin looked back at Tristann, "I will give you a chance to prove yourself. Come the fall of night, 3 bells after the sun sets beyond the horizon, go to the Pearl house and await my appearance. There I will give you a task to perform, and if you do it adequate I will ensure your employment here at the Alemenets." She waved a hand, "Now be off with you. I will see you this evening."
ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Tristann on March 10th, 2015, 10:17 pm

Several hours later as the allotted time arrived Tristann was sitting a short distance away from the Pearl house hood once more over his head.
He sat motionless his mind carefully blank as he took slow deep breaths in and out as he had now for 2 hours allowing his mind and body the chance to rest before the coming test.

Waking himself Tristann remained motionless taking in the sounds of the night around him, enjoying the cool breeze and sense of freedom that were why he slept beneath the stars almost every night.

As he waited Tristanns mind began to fill with questions, what would the test be, would it be dangerous, could he impress this strange woman who looked so frail but was clearly very dangerous.

Questions that could only be answered once the test was done.
Tristann

Character sheet

Postby Evalin on March 11th, 2015, 7:37 pm

Evalin came at exactly 3 bells past sunset, arriving from the direction of the Alements. Her black dress was exchanged for dark robes, and cloak and hood was pulled up and around her body so that she blended in more with the darkness. As she neared Tristiann though she pushed back the hood and offered a small smile, "In truth I am more than a little surprised you came. Perhaps you have not taken so much from your mother after all."

Crooking a finger Evalin motioned for the man to follow, and then she would continue past him, making a quick pace without looking back. She began i the direction of the docks, though she stayed close to the buildings as they went.

"Your task is a relatively simple one. There is a man who deals on this dock, Nelson Belledock, otherwise known by the name One eyed Netty." Her words were soft so that they did not carry far in the quiet night, "He has in many occasions been a good source of information, and a useful asset to the Alements... but of late some rather disappointing news as come to our ears that he may one day become a liability. Your job, child, is to make sure he does not become a liability."

The paused across from the port master's office and Evalin pointed down to a ship docked in the port. It was a medium sized vessel, one sail, and while not very interesting to look at it was sturdy and well made, "That is Nelson's ship. He is often working at this hour upon the deck. You may use whatever methods you wish, but ensure he will not become a problem for us in times to come." After a brief tick of thought Evalin reached behind her neck and undid the clasp of her necklace, extending the jewelry toward Tristann with a neutral expression, "Take this with you. It will tell me if you are in danger, and if I need to come and finish what you cannot. Do not lose it." These last words were spoken sternly, dark red eyes staring into Tristann's as a dangerous tone entered her tone, "I will await you here. Complete the task and you are hired. Fail and... well I trust you shall not fail me."

Nelson would be found on board his ship, working with two other men moving shipment from the stores below to the deck itself. Nelson was a big man, though not as big as an Akalak. Well muscled his chin was strong and at his waist was a sheathed dagger. An eyepatch rested over his right eye, and a scar snacked out from beneath and stretched over his cheek. The two that helped him were human as well, not quite as muscled but still fit.

OOCI will control Nelson as we move forward. Good luck!
ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Tristann on March 12th, 2015, 1:04 am

Seeing Evalin approach Tristan returned the smile eyes travelling slowly over her form as she moved.
Graceful, this is a woman you definitely should not turn your back on. Tristann decided before speaking out loud.
" The dress suited you far better, but to business. You clearly don't know my mother if you think she would back down from a challenge. " He said chuckling softly at the memory of his father wilting before his mothers wrath on more then one ocassion.

Following along silently behind Evalin Tristann had to catch himself more then once as his mind wandered from what she was saying as his eyes were drawn to the slight curves visible beneath the cloak and robe.
Focus man, your not going to impress her by tripping over your own feet in the darkness. Tristan chided himself for the dozenth time since he had begun following her.

Nodding several times as he stood besides Evalin studying the ship Tristan took the necklance his hand lingering in contact with hers a moment longer then was necesary before he slipped it over his head to rest alongside the charm to the mistress of shadows that he had worn much of his life.
" I shall treasure it, " Tristan said earnestly.
" I appreciate your concern but I won't be needing your assistance to deal with such a simple matter. I shall not fail. " He added hoping his voice sounded more confident then he felt.

Nodding silenty Tristann raised his hood turning away from Evalin before slipping off to a nearby building stopping only briefly to look over his shoulder at her. " I'll be back soon, Beautiful. " he said as he slipped away approaching a nearby building, a fishermans shop judging by the scent radiating out from it, but what made the building important was that it contained several floors and overlooked much of the docks.
Removing his gauntlets and tucking them into the waist of his trousers as he circled the building his breathing shallow.
Fish, I hate fish, why did it have to be fish. He thought as he circled the building searching for a way to reach the roof, half way around the building he struck lucky finding several barrels left beneath a second story window.

For once I'm grateful to be small. He thought as he clambered atop the barrel feeling it give slightly beneath him but hold his weight.
If I was any bigger this wouldn't work.
Rubbing his hands together Tristann bent his legs slightly before leaping into the air, for an instant he thought he had misjudged the window above and would fall back to the ground before his outstretched fingers snagged on the window ledge and he was able to pull himself up onto it.

Balancing precariously on the small ledge he straightened slowly before reaching above him onto the roofs edge and again pulling himself up his arms shaking slightly with the effort unused to lifting anything half as heavy as his own body.
" When this is over with if I don't fall and break my neck on the way back down I need to start working out.
I'm glad she can't see this or I'd never get the job. "

Climbing to his feet Tristanns heart began to feel less like it was about to burst out of his chest as it had while he hung from the side of the building trying to pull himself up, he took several deep breaths to calm himself before he moved to the roofs edge and looked out into the night easily picking out the 3 men aboard the ship as they moved.

" How do I approach? " Tristann said to himself eyes scanning the area around the ship picking out pools of flickering light cast by torches and fires dotted along the docks.
" If they see me coming it's over before it's even begun I'd be no match for 3 of them. " Looking along the dock he could see a man doubled over but judging from the retching sounds he would pose no problem for anybody but whichever poor soul owned the store he was currently decorating with his evening meal.

From his position atop the roof Tristann could see that the rear of the ship was largely in darkness, the lights that had been set to burning were clustered around the ships middle where the small gangway that lead onto it's deck was located.
"Got it, I approach the ship from it's rear and climb aboard where the shadows are thickest, where human eyes will be unable to percieve me.
Now, how the hell do I get back down off this roof? "
Tristann said to himself quietly.

Several minutes later found Tristann approaching the ships rear moving slowly his eyes downcast to prevent any light reflecting off them, his face burning with embarassment beneath his hood as he recalled falling from the second story window in clear view of where he had spoken with Evalin, his shoulder throbbing where he had landed upon it.

Pushing aside other thoughts Tristann clambered over the ships rails dropping into a crouch on it's deck his feet slipping slightly on the wet wood as he settled into one of the fighting stances he had been taught years before in training finding reassurance in the familiar excersize and slight burning in his legs that told him that he was ready.

Staying low Tristann moved into the shadow of a stack of crates and peered around a bead of sweat running down his spine as his nerves grew. I only see one of the helpers, what happened to the others? Catching a muffled thud followed by several curses Tristann exhaled in relief suddenly aware that he had been holding his breath.

" They're both in the hold, This is probably the best chance I'm going to get. " Tristann muttered out loud the steady sound of his own voice at odds with the slight twitching of his fingers as he fought with his nerves.

Creeping along the deck Tristann stayed low to maintain his balance as he crept up behind the deck helper careful to avoid making contact with any of the various crates, barrels and chests scattered along the hull.
" Lady of shadows if your listening grant me your blessing this night and cloak me in your living shadows. " Tristann intoned under his breath one hand straying to the charm around his neck as he drew his Lakan and prepared to strike.

Rising to his feet behind his intended victim Tristann hesitated at the last second the point of his blade inches from his targets neck before raising his hand above him and bringing it down pommel first atop the helpers head with a dull thunk. He's only a helper, probably doesn't even know anything no need for him to die here. He reasoned as he caught the crumpling man and lowered him quietly to the deck.

Now where did I see that rope? I know I saw one somewhere. He thought moving back along the deck as quickly as he could manage without drawing attention tracing back his own steps.

Sliding slightly as his foot landed on a particularly wet area of deck Tristann threw his hands out against a crate to regain his balance and shook his head as he saw the rope laying behind the crate. " I'd never have seen it if I hadn't slid. Somebody is watching over me tonight. "

Picking it up Tristann returned to the unconscious helper and using his knife cut a sleeve from his shirt before stuffing it into his mouth to make a crude gag, then stretching the rope out he tied one end around the decking rail and wrapped the rest around the helper under his arms tying it off into a tangled knot fumbling with the coarse material more then once before he was able to pull it tight.

" Sorry about this friend, but I can't have you getting it the way later. " Tristann said quietly as he strained to lift the limp figure, letting out a grunt of effort Tristann succeeded in pitching the body over the side to hang suspended against the ships hull in the darkness where it wouldn't be seen before dawn.

Turning to study the deck Tristan sheathed his blade against before fumbling into his heavy studded gauntlets and flexing his hands.
Now, only two of them left, better odds then with 3 but I'm gonna need to surprise them and try to take out another one before they realize what's going on.
Try to catch one alone? No that could take all night if at all and they'd notice that the third is missing.
Throw my knives? No, I'd just miss. Gotta do something about that.
Ambush it is then.
Tristann concluded studying the area around the stairs leading down into the ship before settling on moving up to the helm where he would overlook the stairs.

Crouching down Tristann relazed listening to the muffled sounds of work coming from beneath him for several minutes before he noticed that it seemed to be coming closer and stood up climbing over the railing and stands with his back to it ready to leap as he waited for his targets to appear.

As the first head appeared beneath him Tristann braced his legs before leaping atop the unaware figure mistaking him for Nelson and crashing down on him sending them both to the ground, from his position atop the stunned figure Tristann drew back his arm and repeatedly smashed his studded fist into his head every blow smashing the reeling helpers face into the stairs until his body went limp.

" Damnit, wrong one. " Tristann said spinning around almost losing his balence as he stepped back over the body beneath him putting it between him and Nelson.
Last edited by Tristann on March 13th, 2015, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tristann

Character sheet