Flashback Late night Prowl.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Late night Prowl.

Postby Logan Storm on March 10th, 2015, 2:34 pm

OOCMay I just say, you are absolutely amazing at writing. Good job, just, good job!

Demitri turned her eyes to Logan's father then walked from his side. Logan looked in awe as he saw his friend confront his father with as much intensity in her eyes as he once had. He was a little impressed, but very frightened as well. To others gawking at the spectacle, they would notice a very tall man being grabbed by a girl half his height. When they stood together, it was like truly watching an pycon versus an akalak. However, even though she met his chest, saw clearly his abnormally huge muscles, and stared down his fierce eyes, she did not back down.

Logan was frightened, almost to death. He thought he could literally feel his heart beat a way out of his chest. He was always there to protect Demitri, even when she didn't need it; to break the bones and shatter the noses of anyone who even thought about laying a hand on her. but he couldn't protect her from this, and he knew it. He could never protect anyone from his father. His dad was larger, stronger, and had been a monk from Nyka as well. He was too good, too powerful, and over the years he had conditioned Logan to fear him, literally beat it into his soul.

Now he was faced with an emotion wrecking dilemma, which he hoped would solve itself on its own.

His father, with eyes the same color as Logan, stared at the young girl who now held him. It was confusion he showed, but when he gazed at Logan, there was nothing but clarity. "I see," the man said and Logan nearly dropped to his knees.

Legs shaking and heart thumping to its fullest, the words sounded over and over into his head. I see, I see, I see. What did he see? what did he see? Logan sprung forward, jumping over a table as he raced to his friends side.

What did he see? What did he always see? His father said 'I see' constantly in bad situations, situations where someone would think of challenging him and his pride. Just after saying those words, his father would always act with maleficent intent. There where countless times where his father would say that to Logan, just before he would be conditioned. Now his father saw something with Demitri, but what? What did this man see this time?!

As Logan darted, he finally saw what his father saw. He saw his father raise one hand, and as quickly as it rose, he saw his father race his palm towards Demitri's face. Before a sound would even ring, Logan saw his father attempt to ruthlessly slap Demitri.

"DEMITRI! DUCK!" Logan yelled above all music and chatter in the bar. He screamed so loud that he could be heard from the next two buildings over.
Logan Storm
Player

Words: 119475
Joined roleplay: February 23rd, 2015, 7:56 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Late night Prowl.

Postby Demitri Maebourne on March 10th, 2015, 5:13 pm

OOCUwahh, thanks so much! X3 Same to you, you're really fun to write with!!

"I see."

There was something dark to the way he said that, like a bad omen. It made Demitri's fury fade into a calmer sort of rage; she continued to stare, hand still gripping a fistful of the stained fabric of his collar, not allowing herself an opportunity to waver. "I see."

She had suspected this next action. As the girl saw his arm raise she resolved not to move, not to back down. Her muscles tensed in preparation for the blow, but her unflinching gaze met that of Logan's father with focused and infinite hatred. She had been hit before- perhaps not by a behemoth monk who stood at least a foot taller than her, but it wasn't as if she'd never felt a slap or punch to the face. If she was ready for it, it wouldn't even hurt so terribly, right? At least, not in her experience. In that split second as she readied herself, she breathed a quick sigh and thought of Logan.

"DEMITRI! DUCK!"

Hearing his impossibly loud cry, she whipped her head around to look at him- eyes wide and clear of that concentrated hate, she was unprepared for what happened next. The father's hand met her face with full force, knocking her away and causing her to stumble. She fell back with a thud and a loud "gahh," the hand that had held his collar with such fierceness now resting on her already reddening cheek. "Nnnn..."

She looked up at Logan's father, loathing no less potent even under the pain in her eyes. It was times like these that she remembered how weak she was. He looked down at her with malicious satisfaction, as if he had swatted away a particularly obnoxious fly. Rage dimming to a mess of anger and shame, she looked to Logan. He was always so worried about her, and this time she had put herself in harm's way just to call someone out. Eyes now only filled with guilt for how her actions would affect Logan, she sighed and began to stand.
I used my own picture for my avatar. Is that weird?
I was sick of not having pictures...
Oh well.
Also isn't it funny how you can make someone look completely different just by changing the lighting and upping the contrast?
Anyways, hi!
Demitri Maebourne
The Sneakiest of Sneaks

Words: 55391
Joined roleplay: March 7th, 2015, 4:50 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Late night Prowl.

Postby Logan Storm on March 11th, 2015, 8:42 am

No one touched her. No one laid a hand, finger, foot, tongue, or gaze on her without meeting the full fury of Logan. He had overprotective instincts over Demitri, and that showed no greater than when acted this night.

While the loud clasping sound of Logan's father's hand and Demitri's cheek meeting rang out, Logan was already on the move towards their general direction. He did not even notice the tumble of his precious friend before he had thrust his left shoulder into his fathers stomach and lifted his caretaker into the sky.

Logan had grasped the back thighs of his dad, used all his power to bring both into the air, then sunk his father into the table in front of his path. He had speared his father into the dinning table, and a large breaking of wood noise became the new thunder in the building.

His father groaned, but Logan made no sounds. He was in pain, parts of his body did quake from the collision, specifically his shoulder, but none of this registered to him.

Logan quickly climbed on top of his father and began a new assault. Over and over again he sent a right fist into his father face. He knew that these punches weren't equal to the amount of power the man had put into slapping Demitri, and his father knew it as well, it could clearly be told by the smug look on his face.

The man was grinning, nothing but grins. Even while his son pummeled him silly in front of his friends and sluts, the man did nothing but smile. Logan hated it because he knew what he was doing. He was full filling his fathers wish, but the man didn't deserve satisfaction, especially not from Logan.

So he stopped, new blood already dripping from his fist, blood from the busted lips of the man he once loved. The man stared at him, conniving eyes urging him forward, trying to persuade Logan to continue. When looks failed to work, the man turned to words.

"Why the petch did you stop? Be a man and finish what your woman started. I did not raise you to be a damn baby and cry during a petching fight! What you shedding tears for!?"

"What?" Logan said. As if to answer his own question, he saw a small sprinkle of water leave his cheek then dry on his fathers shirt. Logan wiped at his face, then noticed how extremely moist his fingers were.

He was actually crying! Tears streaming way past his cheeks and chin. It was an involuntary release of water from his eyes that he could not stop no matter what.

He wiped at his cheeks again, this time vigorously trying to dry up his eyes, but failed miserably. He stood quickly then raced out the building, leaving a small trail of tears as he went. His father laughed as he exited the building, getting a last few good remarks of how weak Logan was before he could no longer be heard.

Outside. Logan began running to the nearest alley he could find. There he placed his back against a wall then slid to the floor. He forced the remainder of his tears to stay inside by using his muscle shirt. He spent his time thinking until someone came to speak to him. Currently, he was hoping that someone was a gang member.

He pursed his head against the wall then sighed and shook his head from left to right.
Logan Storm
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Late night Prowl.

Postby Demitri Maebourne on March 11th, 2015, 10:53 pm

He came at his father like some sort of mountain beast, appearing out of nowhere and knocking him into the air with all the force he possessed. Just as Demitri had nearly righted herself she stumbled back, landing on her rear in the now-fascinated crowd with a look of pure shock. Logan grabbed at the man's legs, making him fall into and break the nearby table. She had seen Logan fight- but never like this, never with such rage. Just as quickly as everything else he'd done, he climbed on top of his father, hitting him over and over again for what seemed ages. Shock dissolved into fear, not of Logan but for him, and she leaned forward and reached to touch him on the back. "Logan... ?"

He didn't seem to register the sound, but by then he was already slowing to a stop. Pummeled as the old man was, he still wore that satisfied smirk of someone who'd gotten exactly what they hoped for. "Why the petch did you stop..."

"What you shedding tears for!?" At this Logan seemed as surprised as Demitri. She leaned over to look at his face, once again wearing that concerned frown as if her friend's feelings were the only thing that mattered in this place. To her, they probably were. In the five years they'd known each other, she couldn't remember ever seeing him cry; now here he was, atop the busted and bloody man of the hour, tears streaming down his face. What should she do? How could she make this better?

Just as she felt ready to say something he got to his feet. She looked up at him, mouth slightly agape, and quickly did the same as he ran for the door. She began following, but turned for just a moment to look down at the person who was supposed to be a father. "This isn't over." Then she ran, chasing her friend just in time to see him dart into the closest alleyway.

Demitri approached slowly, not knowing if she should give him time alone or comfort him immediately. She wasn't even sure what to say if she did the latter. Even so, she couldn't bear the thought of him sitting alone like that- not when she was supposed to be there for him.

Quietly, cautiously she turned the corner into the alley. He sat with his back to the wall, head tilted up, the picture of emotional strife. Without a word she stepped in front of him, knelt to look him in the eyes. She put a hand on his shoulder, her lips a tight line as she tried to look the picture of "everything is alright." Then she lowered her head with a sigh and allowed the tears to slowly run down her stinging cheek. She had started this. Why did he have to get hurt? "I'm... I'm sorry," she said, pushing the words out in a near-silent puff. She looked back up at him, her entire face and neck turning a flushed pink hue. "I'm so sorry."
Oh well.
Also isn't it funny how you can make someone look completely different just by changing the lighting and upping the contrast?
Anyways, hi!
Demitri Maebourne
The Sneakiest of Sneaks

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Late night Prowl.

Postby Logan Storm on March 12th, 2015, 3:14 am

Why did he cry? He had felt no emotions that came near close to causing a tearful reaction. He was more angry than sad. So why did he cry?

Logan pondered and pondered, trying to find the answer in an endless sea of ignorance. It was useless. He knew not of the human brain, its many wonderful chemical reactions, or any possible ailment that controlled his water works.

He stared into the dark depths of the sky for a little while before a weird outside feeling returned him to earth. Demitri was next to him, her hand on his shoulder and her person crouched near him. She tried to express a warming facial feature, but she failed and her true emotions stemmed out as Logan's had.

She began to cry, and this made Logan smile. Although he didn't enjoy the sight, Logan knew that Demitri had a just cause for shedding tears. She was kind to Logan, and her expression of concern for him was the greatest Logan was ever given.

Demitri cared for him maybe even more than he cared for her. When she cried, Logan believed that it was because she had boundless love for him. That seemed to be her reason, a reason that filled him with joy.

"I'm... I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Logan said nothing, but instead motioned her to him and waited for her to embrace him. If she did, she would find Logan's arms wrapped around her back, one palm every-so-often gently stroking the back of her head.

"I should be the one to say sorry," Logan would finally say, voice deep yet very gentle. "I charged myself to look after you, but all I have done is fail to protect you and worry you. I don't like that. From now on, as long as I am around, not a single skin of yours will be bruised."

After saying that, he was reminded of what his father had done to her and would quickly check her face to see if any visible wound had formed. His father was a relentless man, and his attack would be sure to leave a mark for at least 7 days.

Logan would laugh after checking her then say, "I seem to be wondering if you could have actually dodged the attack. If you could, then maybe you don't need my protection because of how crazy you are. Sunberth children don't associate with crazies."
Logan Storm
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Late night Prowl.

Postby Demitri Maebourne on March 12th, 2015, 4:10 am

Wordlessly Logan held out his arms to hug her. Pausing to wipe the wetness from her face, Demitri leaned forward and acquiesced, arms locking laxly over his shoulders. He stroked her hair and her tightened muscles started to relax; no matter what happened, her childhood friend had a way of making her feel safe. "I should be the one to say sorry," he began, and she shook her head frantically. He didn't have a responsibility to "look after" her, and it wasn't his fault that she'd put herself in danger. She softened at his promise, though. Sometimes she didn't understand his kindness, but it was an unending comfort.

She leaned back as he attempted to check her face. She doubted he'd be able to see much in the dimness of the alley, and perhaps that was for the best in light of her throbbing cheek. She didn't expect it to heal quickly, but there was no reason to worry about that now. Her mother wouldn't ask questions; neither would anyone else, as a matter of fact. The only bothersome part of it was the chance that it'd make her easier to spot in a crowd. She might even have to lay off the thieving for a while; life would be so boring!

Logan laughed and she relaxed even more, shoulders dropping almost comically. "Dodge? Not a chance." She'd decided not to elaborate on that point. In reality, she might've been able to escape the blow; but she didn't want to say to him that she had decided not to try. It was easy for her to resolve to take a hit, and she would have done it again if it meant the monk would not see her back down. But she knew her friend would never see it that way.

"And oh, do they in fact associate with boys as strong as bears, and with the temper to boot?" She laughed, once again returning to her characteristic lightheartedness. "Really, Nyka-boy. You're worried about me being crazy."

It was then that Demitri heard voices at the door of the tavern, just a few yards away, and remembered the man who had noticed her theft earlier. She hopped to her feet with an odd abruptness, but the wide smile on her face seemed just as relaxed as ever. "We ought to get out of here, I think," she commented. "Besides, I have something for you back home!"

She extended an energetic hand to help him up, waiting until he stood to start off down the alley. The idea was to create as much distance between them and the tavern entrance as possible. Besides, she'd thought of just the way to thank her old friend!

OOCYou feel good about wrapping this one up in a couple posts? :)
Oh well.
Anyways, hi!
Demitri Maebourne
The Sneakiest of Sneaks

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Late night Prowl.

Postby Logan Storm on March 14th, 2015, 1:37 am

OOCYou have the leeway to end it on any note you want!

Nothing. The light was too dark to check Demitri's face. It was frustrating not knowing what marks she had, or if they could be healed, but Logan had to deal with the mystery for now.

"Dodge? Not a chance," Demitri replied to Logan's comment. She made his smile wider, then she continued. "And oh, do they in fact associate with boys as strong as bears, and with the temper to boot? Really, Nyka-boy. You're worried about me being crazy."

"Hey," he responded. "If you didn't happen to know, I like crazy. It's probably the only reason I stick with you. And, I can so totally wrestle a bear!"

When a door to the tavern opened, Demitri quickly jumped to her feet and offered for both to flee the scene. "Yeah, I'm down with leaving. But what is this something?" He asked.

Demitri straightened her fingers to Logan as an offer to help him to his feet. He happily obliged and hopped up. He looked at her with excitement and questions, but if she did not want to answer him then he would not be very disappointed. What's a little more mystery going to hurt?

When Demitri began walking down the alley, Logan followed behind her. Now he was her tail, allowing her to lead them to her place, or what he figured would be her place from the way she said 'back home.'
Logan Storm
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Late night Prowl.

Postby Demitri Maebourne on March 14th, 2015, 4:08 am

OOCThank you much! :3

"If you didn't happen to know, I like crazy," he responded. "It's probably the only reason I stick with you." At this Demitri grinned sheepishly. He was right; in fact, all of the people in Sunberth had to be at least a little crazy to keep living there. But didn't that make things a little more fun?

"And, I can so totally wrestle a bear!"

At this Demitri burst into sharp laughter. "Never had a doubt!"

As he stood with her, he asked what the "something" was. "Nothin' special," she started, returning to her neutral state of constant cheer. "Just something that occurred to me."

Together they exited the alley and walked down a long, dark street. The trek progressed without incident; it was a longer walk than Demitri would have liked given the events of the night, but it had never bothered her much before. She walked briskly with Logan at her side, shooting him a small smile every so often and making light conversation. Mostly, though, she just looked up at the moon, thinking about her friend and her life and her future. The girl didn't know if he should tell him about her plans to leave in the next few years... She had no way of knowing how he'd take it. They'd been together since they were eleven, but... what if he didn't want to come with her?

Perhaps that was a question for another night- one far in the future. Finally they neared her home, a cramped space with two rooms, the front doubling as a common room and Demitri's sleeping quarters. She invited him in with as friendly an air as ever, then scurried to the chest that sat at the head of her cot. She opened it quickly, never having been able to afford more than a rudimentary lock, and dug through it with an odd ferocity. Finally she grinned and began to stand.

The coat she offered Logan was much too large for either of the women living there, and the thick material was beaten by salt water and extensive use. "Like I said, nothing special..." there was a hint of awkwardness in her voice, maybe a fear that he wouldn't like the gift. She lowered her eyes a bit. "I-it was my father's. My mother tried to burn it once... I decided to keep it safe. But I'm not using it, and you need one, so..." She looked back up at him, confidence and joy seeming to return in a sudden flash as if she'd learned to feign it at the drop of a hat. "Keep it, will you?"
Oh well.
Anyways, hi!
Demitri Maebourne
The Sneakiest of Sneaks

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Late night Prowl.

Postby Logan Storm on March 14th, 2015, 8:16 pm

Logan and Demitri walked together, making small conversation as they went. It was nice just to talk with her. In this world of obscene behavior and violent actions, Demitri was always the closest to serenity than he could ever get. She made him calm and often reminded him of the values of being kind, which was the true explanation for why he hung out with her.

While they strolled, Logan noticed how she would turn to deep thoughts while they spoke. For moments like this, Logan worried if it were wise to interrupt her. He knew the value of a deep thought, and often turned to those himself as a way to recenter his mind. Interrupting her thoughts was like a sin in his opinion. Sometime during their conversation he found himself ceasing in voice, only wondering what she thought about.

After a while of walking, Logan noticed the feeling of emptiness in his hands. Where a large bag of money was suppose to be held was nothing. He lost his winnings, most likely when he had pounced on his dad. He was a little disappointed at himself and more so angry that he would probably never see that cash again. There goes my next meal and my chance at beating Demitri.

When they finally entered Demitri's home, Logan immediately noticed how small it was. The picture of true poverty in a poor city.

Demitri shuffled to a chest which she opened and dug through rather fiercely. Logan stared at her with a raised brow as she finally stood to reveal her 'something.' It was a coat, about twice her size and once his.

She handed it to him and he took it, giving a small inspection of the material. It looked dark, but Logan could pick out a few burnt spots along the sleeves and back of the jacket. It was very wrinkly and smelled slightly of salt and the sea and a little of burning material.

"Like I said, nothing special..." Demitri said sheepishly.

Obviously not, he wanted to say to her, but he kept silent. He noticed how she did not stare him in the eyes and conjectured that this coat meant more to her than he could know, and she was giving it to him? He did not know what to say to her, so he avoided speech for a while.

"I-it was my father's. My mother tried to burn it once... I decided to keep it safe. But I'm not using it, and you need one, so..." She said next, still with the slightly nervous tone she had before.

Still silent, Logan pulled the jacket over his shoulders and made it encumber his body. The jacket fit perfectly, and Logan instantly became warm within it.

"Keep it, will you?" She said, and Logan stared at her while he made the jacket fit comfortably on his body. Demitri was suddenly turned back to her cheerful appearance, and her eyes where no longer lowered.

"Fits good," he said. "And is the warmest thing I had ever worn. I'll never take it off! But, not sure if your mothers new addition fits my style. Not that big a fan of burnt."

"Since you gave that to me, it's my turn to give something to you." He said before pausing for a moment to looked around the room. He found an eating knife in her home and took it. He then sat down criss-crossed and pulled out what looked like a gold Miza from his pocket.

"Lost my other cash, but this will do." He said before he started using the knife to carve something into the gold. It took him a lot of strength and great endurance, but he managed to inscribe what he wanted into the metal. When he was done with one side, he did the same to the other.

After a long moment from Logan filled with nothing but the sound of clashing metal, Logan flipped the coin in the air for Demitri to catch. With close inspection she would be able to make out Logan's carving easily. On one side of the coin would be the cursive initials "LS" and on the other would be the cursive initials "DM."

While waiting for a reaction Logan would yawn and say, "It's a bit corny but it's all I can give now. Tomorrow we can find a jeweler merchant and turn it into a necklace."

When he finished speaking he gave another long yawn before making himself stand up. His back was a little cramped from sitting in a small space and hunching over a coin, so he stretched to relieve some body tension.

"For now," he said as he made his way to the front door. "Let's get some much, much needed rest."
Logan Storm
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Late night Prowl.

Postby Demitri Maebourne on March 14th, 2015, 9:43 pm

Quiet as ever, Logan took the coat and began pulling it over his arms before Demitri had even finished speaking. Her cheer intensified as he made himself comfortable in it, and she stared back at him with great relief. "Fits good, and is the warmest thing I've ever worn," he assured her. "I'll never take it off!"

She chuckled happily, but stopped to sigh when he referenced the small burned spots that still hung along the collar and wrists of the coat. "Nnn... yeah," she started, somewhat abashed. Then she shook her head and laughed to herself quietly. "Makes you look more 'rugged,' though, doesn't it?"

The girl wore a look of surprise and curiosity as he dropped to the floor, pulled out a gold miza and began working at it with her eating knife. His turn? Now fascinated with what the boy was doing, she sat to face him and stared down at the small motions he made in the smooth metal. As she watched, she put a tentative hand to her wounded cheek, poking at it a bit to see how sore it was. Not that bad, she told herself, though it might be a bit purple given some time. After a chime or two, Logan tossed the coin into the air. Demitri looked up without registering the action, then scrambled to catch it, hands flying around frantically, clumsily to grab at the tiny object until she had secured it against her chest. Eyes wide with interest she looked down at it. D.M. She flipped it around. L.S.

She looked back at him endearingly, filled to the brim with sappy sentiment. "It's a bit corny," he said. "But it's all I can give now. Tomorrow we can find a jeweler merchant and turn it into a necklace."

"I would love that," she replied as she stood. He did the same, a yawn and a stretch indicating that he was likely ready for sleep. It reminded Demitri of how tired she was as well, an ache behind her eyes and an infinite pile of knots on her back. He turned to leave, mentioning "much needed rest," and she nodded her agreement. Then, of course, she remembered yet another quickly forgotten fact.

"Oh," she started, then pulled out the small coin bag she'd lifted off of one and supplemented with another's. "You said you lost yours, but you did actually get more than me. I don't know who won, technically... so we'll split it!" Quickly she poured out roughly half the contents into her hand, set them on her cot, tightened the strings of the bag and tossed it to the tall figure in her doorway. "Don't think this means I'll be so nice next time, though!"

Finally Demitri hurried over to him and gave him a hug goodbye, stretching up to lock her arms behind his neck and pulling him in tight. She stayed that way for just a moment, thinking again about the idea of leaving Sunberth. "Hey," she said quietly, trying to think of a way to bring it up. "I..."

She chickened out. "I hope we can always be there for each other," she finished as she pulled away, expression seeming as carefree as ever. "No matter what."

"Goodnight, Logan!" The thief then returned to her cot, sitting down to gather up the mizas she'd recovered and pouring them into a worn coinpurse hidden under her pillow. She removed her boots and tossed them thoughtlessly aside, stretched her limbs with a content groan, and then curled up into a ball like a house cat. She sighed, once again as if she could expel the tension in her muscles with a single breath. Today had been an interesting day, hadn't it? And not all that bad, even with the drama of the evening. She was lucky to have someone like Logan around.

With that last thought in mind, Demitri closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

OOCPhew, sorry if I dragged that out. ^^;
Oh well.
Anyways, hi!
Demitri Maebourne
The Sneakiest of Sneaks

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext