Completed Trials And Sharp Blades

Xen encounters an old swordsman

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The unassuming den of the Constrictor Dhani, it is truly a pit of snakes. Travelers should take care, because the Dhani are always hungry... [Lore]

Trials And Sharp Blades

Postby Xen on December 13th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Trials and Sharp Blades
Winter 3, 514 A.V.

You have a katana, let'sss sssee if you can use it.

What did this odd constrictor need of him? Xen was not able to find the meaning behind this sudden challenge. But, he did not wish to pass up the opportunity to face a swordsman, who was probably more skilled than he was. The experience would definitely teach him the ways of combat, and the path of sword. Xen quickly, and unskillfully unsheathes his katana, and to the constrictors displeasure, causes the blade to grind against its scabbard. The screeching, scratching sound emitted was incredibly transfixing, more so than any blade. Xen then stands with his arms stretched out, leaving his blade greatly apart from from his body.

The stance he held was indeed one of a novice; he was tense, completely unrelaxed. “Relax, and wield your sword properly,” The constrictors words seemed a bit deceptive to Xen. How was he going to relax when he was about to spar out in the jungle with someone he did not know? The paranoia, and distrust was strong within Xen, indeed. “Look, I'm not trying to deceive you, okay?” The constrictor unsheathes his own katana, and takes on his own stance. The constrictors arms were held close to his body, while the sword was extended outwards towards Xen.

How can I trust you? You ssuddenly challenge me to a duel, and ask that we have it in the jungle,” Xen tightens the grip he held upon his katana's handle, and eases towards his opponent. “Wait a sssecond! I'm not ready, yet. I jusst wanted to—” Xen swings his katana to the right in a wide arc, interrupting the constrictors before he could finish his sentence. The constrictor raises his sword to block Xen's strike with flat side of his blade, and immediately steps back afterwards. Xen rushes in without acknowledging his opponents defense, and skill. He performs yet another wide arcing sweep with his sword, but this time aims for his opponents left side. The constrictor was calm, and the flow of his experience with a katana was clear. He swiftly steps forward the moment Xen was in mid-swing, and blocks with the middle of his sword. Xen was surprised by the constrictors quickness, and ability to remain utterly placid in the face of danger.

Xen, and the constrictors blades meet with a loud ¨CLANG!¨!

Xen tries to back away in order to strike his opponent again, but he doesn't do so in time. The constrictor, sensing Xen's retreat, grips the handle of his katana with his left hand tightly, and pushes hard against Xen's sword. Xen did not know how to grip his sword properly, and so, his weapon flies from his hands, and lands onto the ground. “The katana is a killing weapon,” The constrictor says to Xen as he walks away from him “And the sword that sssaves man killss man,”He continues after a brief pause. Xen was silent the entire time; his head was bowed in shame, and total defeat.

If thiss wass a real battle of sswords, you would have died horribly,” The constrictor said in a firm voice “However, you will not perish thiss day, young viper,” Xen felt a solid object touch his left shoulder, and he looks up to see the handle of his katana looking him in the face. Xen grabs onto the sword, and sheathes the weapon. “Why have you taken an interesst in me?” Xen asked. He could not understand the constrictors motives “You remind me of my ssson, and how he use to be with hiss weapon,” The constrictor sheathes his sword, and sits down on an old, fallen tree near him.

I understand,” That was all Xen said before quietude.
Last edited by Xen on March 12th, 2015, 6:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Words: 390077
Joined roleplay: July 28th, 2012, 12:02 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Trials And Sharp Blades

Postby Xen on December 19th, 2014, 11:02 pm

Trials and Sharp Blades

Strange to see someone so skilled being bothered by his emotions. Xen tightens his hand, forming it into a fist. He also suffered from such tedious things; things he could not bother with or waste his time on. Xen did not wish to disrupt the old swordsmans moment of silence with his unskilled

presence, and turns to leave. “Wait a second,” The swordsman said to Xen with sorrow still upon his breath. “Let me teach you how to wield your weapon properly, ” He was standing at this point, his eyes laid firmly upon Xen. The old swordsman saw something within Xen; it was potential not completely unlike his son, but it spurred a sense of familiarity within his being. And this familiarity made him feel as though this viper male was like a long gone part of himself.

I...” Xen pauses for a moment to contemplate. The words he utters could potentially change the path of which he walks in life. Although, change is good for the soul at times, would he truly benefit from this brief moment in time? Xen looks into the eyes of his future mentor; he sees eyes that were stubborn and true. The swordsman's gaze was exactly same as though saying ¨I will not deceive you,¨. Xen grins before his would be teachers powerful resolve “Fine, ” He says with a strong tone “Teach me how to wield my weapon, and in return I will carry your teachings throughout time, ” Xen promises with utter righteousness!

For some reason, Xen's dramatic response puts a smile on the old constrictors face. This young one was indeed quite like him during his brighter days. “Good, now unsheathe your weapon. We will begin now,” Xen unsheathes his weapon, and assumes his previous stance. “No! That stance is incorrect! ” He walks over to Xen and begins the training “Stand lightly on your feet, and keep your body relaxed. You must keep your arms like this, also, and hold only your katana in front of you, ”.

....” Xen was silent. However, he could not calm his body immediately; he was far too use to tensing up his body before a battle. But, since this is what he was kindly asked to do, he attempts to do so. Xen inhales, raising his shoulders, and then exhales, dropping them with his escaping breathe. He had to do this several times before his heart rate lowers to a steady pace. “Hold crisply and smoothly,” Xen says within his mind as he listens to his ¨teachers¨ instructions. He finally relaxes, allowing his mind become at ease with a weapon at hand.

Stand with your right foot forward, and your left foot back. Be sure to add a proper amount of space between them. The space you add depends on you,” The swordsmans training seemed to be focusing on how to maintain and achieve a proper stance. Xen did know how crucial a stance was, if it was the same as a vipers strike position, he'd memorize everything with the full power of his mind and soul. He proceeds to slide his right foot forward, and keeps his left foot back behind it. Xen closes his eyes to memorize the synergy of a proper stance. It was like he and his sword was becoming one being within the embrace of the jungle.

He reminds me too much of my son, ” The old swordsman thinks as leaves carried by the wind flow by Xen and him.
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Trials And Sharp Blades

Postby Xen on December 26th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Trials and Sharp Blades

Being at peace...” He thought as a soft breeze graces him with its presence.

Xen had forgotten about tranquility, his life had become so greatly consumed by the pursuit of power that he had detached himself from the worlds peace. But, as he meditates a question presents itself. If he practices with the sword would he be able to reach a prim state of power? He wanted to achieve power as soon as possible, for he felt he had little time at his disposal. Yet, he knew there was so much that needed to be done before he could grasp an understanding of what ¨power¨ was. Time management and practice will be needed, for sure. Before he could be fully consumed by worry Xen felt the world drift past him, taking said doubts which sought to distract him, with it.

The katana within his hand became lighter the more he focuses upon this drift. It was strange to Xen, feeling as though the world around him had its own flow. Maybe, it did or it had always maintained its own flow, which touched all aspects of life, and death. He inhales and exhales, clearing the feelings of his own body from himself in order to sharpen his awareness of this ¨flow¨. “What meaning do you have?” Xen began to wonder while trying to grasp what he felt. Though, it was all around him, he did not feel threatened or overpowered by this phenomenon.

He relaxes; he could sense the movement of the air upon his skin. A person stumbling onto Xen would see him standing perfectly still, like that of a statue—perpetually at rest. They'd see numerous tree leaves starting to gather on his head, and shoulders; and an outstretched katana with a leaf on the tip of its sharp edge. Xen continued with his calming breaths, he was enjoying the flow. It was like he was within the embrace of the world, standing at the pinnacle of existence! “That'sss enough,” A man's voice tells Xen, causing him to snap back into reality. “How doesss your weapon feel?” He asks and then grins, seemingly aware of Xen's upcoming answer. “Light, as I hold it, but not entirely without weight, ” Xen says as he inspects his weapon to see if his ¨teacher¨ had done anything to it while he was in meditation.

I sssee you've gotten use to holding your sssword in sssuch little time, interesting, ” He was no longer grinning, and began to think about other things. “How long was I standing and holding my weapon?” Xen asks; his legs and arms were burning a bit, but he doesn't reveal his discomfort to the swordsman. “Five, maybe ten chimes or ssso?” The reply was very nonchalant.
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Trials And Sharp Blades

Postby Xen on March 12th, 2015, 6:38 am

Trials and Sharp Blades

Xen had only partially adapted to the weight of his katana. The weapon was not light, nor was it incredibly heavy to him. Xen could not fully describe the weight of his sword, but if he had to in a few word, it would be similar to a weighted branch tree. Moments ago, when his katana felt lighter went by quickly and the deadly object was now a burden upon his arms and hands.

Yet, were not all weapons and negative emotions like so?

Xen gazes at his weapon with his mind and not eyes; he did not need to use them at the time. In the chimes he’s held the katana, learning how to wield it and a proper stance, a weird question dawns upon him “Why do I have this peculiar sword?”. It was neither large, or imposing like other blades. The edge was curved slightly, and despite its thin body, was surprisingly sturdy. Xen lowers his weapon as he points out the various things about his katana within his mind.

The surrounding jungle had grown quiet and the breeze had ceased to blow. Xen did not sense the absence of the breeze, nor the quietude that crept all around him. There was only the katana and himself at the time. While focusing Xen does realize that the old swordsman's presence has faded from his attention, assuming the old constrictor was still standing behind him, he did not bother to open his eyes.

Chimes pass…

Xen opens his eyes to an open and vibrant green jungle.

He was alone this time as he looks behind him and does not see the old constrictor standing behind him.

What the petch, man?

Xen was confused and irritated at once, but said emotions did not rise up to the surface of his mind. Instead, he simply sheaths his katana and rubs his tired arms. Xen felt that the short teachings the mysterious constrictor gave him was priceless information, despite their meeting being short. And from a humble perspective, he could at least be not enraged in exchange.

Xen then leaves the spot he was standing in, departing and saying farewell to the place he met the humble swordsman.
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes