[Endrykas] Setting Things Straight [Kashik]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Vanator on September 20th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Timestamp: 3rd of Fall, 510AV

Puffs of dust lifted from the mare's back as Vanator applied the brush to Backlash's coat. Soon, her winter fur would come in, and she would loose her sleek appearnce for a fuzzier one. The Drykas lovlingly groomed the buckskin, who stood quietly, only occasionally nickering at Hiloha standing next to her. Kashik likewise attended to her Strider, running a comb through the burrs that hadstuck in his mane. The couple had stopped at the sight of Endrykas in the distance. Kashik had accompanied Vanator on a hunt, which produced the glassy-eyed buck antelope that lay in the grass nearby.

Vanator looked over at Kashik, her curly mane pulled back. Her dark skin seemed to glow in the late afternoon sun, and he flashed her a smile when he caught her eye. "Kash, I want to thank you again, for taking Khiara in." Kashik had indeed taken Khiara under her wing to show her the ways of the Drykas. He also knew his wife well enough now to know there were other motives other than compassion for their Vantha friend. Vanator was not ignorant to the fact that Kashik was grooming Khiara to be part of the family, to strengthen the pavilion. It had never been discussed, but they both knew what was going on. The only one who didn't know yet was Khiara herself.

"I think she will feel better too now that we are in Endrykas, she knows the city."
The three of them had fallen into a routine, sharing chores and developing a rapport that helped Khiara shake her abject loneliness. Kashik and Vanator were given a respectful distance to experience the important first season of their marriage, while Van and Khiara maintained a distance that honored Kashik as his wife.

Vanator dropped the brush in a pouch on his yvas before crouching by the antelope carcass. "Can you help me get this back on Backlash?"
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kashik on September 21st, 2010, 2:25 am

Kashik Denusk had been staring rather dreamily at Hiloha's mane as she combed it into sections and plaited it up and out of the way. She'd only just begun to suspect that she might be carrying her husband's firstborn, and had gone off on a tangent of wild daydreaming about whether it would look more like him or her, when his words shook her out of her reverie.

She blinked wide teal eyes at him, and though a smile tilted one corner of her lips, there was something suddenly thoughtful about it, and her lashes fell as she watched him - the way the tiniest muscle between his brows quirked, how his lips thinned ever-so slightly. The tone of his voice as he thanked her. Her head tilted just a bit, and she decided that at least one of her secrets had been discovered. Finally.

She watched him as he crouched down, and simply tucked the comb into her own saddlebag. "No," she said, simple and to the point, and a smile quirked again to dull whatever sharpness might have been on her words. "We've some alone time out here. I'd like to know what you think of all this," she said, a brow rising in amusement as if to say You know what I'm talking about. "You haven't objected, which I appreciate - a woman does like to have her intrigues," she chuckled. "But you also haven't... well, you haven't said anything at all. And I can't help but think you must have some rather strong feelings about the whole thing. Talk to me," she murmured softly, stepping closer to lay a hand on his shoulder, a silent plea that he confide in her as he always had.
Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Words: 136797
Joined roleplay: April 19th, 2010, 2:47 am
Character sheet

Postby Vanator on September 23rd, 2010, 11:17 pm

Vanator turned to look up at his wife, rising to face her when she curtly gave him her reply. He stood tall over her, hands on hips, face a stone grimace. He held it for a moment, Kashik did not fall for it, and his features melted into a knowing grin. Van reached up to place his hand over the one she rested on his shoulder, the other stretching out to brush against her dark bronzed cheek. She laughed, but the Drykas husband could see the sincerity of his wife's questions. He glanced down at the grass beneath their boots, then lifted them to meet Kashik's bright eyes.

"I was concerned when we took Khiara in. Our marriage was so young, we were still working things out, getting to know each other. I could not have left her alone in Riverfall, you know that. But I watched to see how you would respond, if you would rise to the challenge, if you would see Khiara as a threat, or embrace her." His hands dropped to his side, and he took Kashik by the hand, leading her as he began to walk. "I watched you befriend her, a woman who loved your husband, but who also needed friends and a family. I was moved by your compassion, and not ignorant to the more practical implications in your efforts." He glanced over to give Kashik a broad smile.

"I have considered making Khiara my second wife. Of course, Kashik, I love her. She could not eclipse you in my life," His hand squeezed hers, "but I think we both agree we need to build a strong pavilion, and Khiara is a fine woman. You are my love, and I will honor you. I will not make her my wife until the time when you carry my first child." Such would ensure her child would be Vanator's heir.

Vanator stopped, turning and placing his arms around Kashik's waist. "I know you have been preparing her for that time my love. you are as practical as you are beautiful, and you honor me." Van did not agree with his sisters' assessment of Kashik as manipulative and conniving, but Vanator was not blind to his wife's shrewdness. She wanted to help her husband build a strong family, to do that she wanted to ensure her postition as first wife. That was Drykas family politics, and Van would not fault her for it.

Vanator leaned in to press his lips against Kashik's. "Now, I want you to tell me, how would you feel about sharing our Chevas mark with another woman?"
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kashik on September 24th, 2010, 6:50 pm

Kashik's eyes shuttered closed when his lips met hers, and when he spoke again she kept her eyes shut and just leaned her forehead against his cheek a moment, savoring this time with him. They were, after all, discussing a monumental change to their lives and their dynamic. It was serious business, for all that she could laugh while they talked, and she was not fool enough to deny the moment its reverence.

"It was hard," she whispered, finally admitting it aloud. It was the first time she'd said anything that wasn't glowingly positive about the whole situation, and she had to swallow against a sudden tightness in her throat. "I know that you love her more... more deeply, I think," she said, lashes fluttering as she glanced up to see what her husband's reaction might be to this particular truth being spoke aloud as well. "You've both been through something that I don't understand, that - the gods hear my plea! - I'll never have to understand," she whispered, a flash of pain cutting through the brightness of her gaze at the mere thought of losing him, and her fingers curled more tightly around his biceps. "You share a bond because of it, something that I can't touch. And it... I didn't know, in the beginning, if having her around, if your loving her... would change the way you loved me."

Her cheeks flushed pink as if she were ashamed of those thoughts, even hated herself a little for it. "You have to understand, it's not that I doubted you," she said quickly, eyes widening as she gazed up at him. For once, the usually decadent woman looked more her age - young and unsure and even a little afraid. She let him see that side of her, one that none but her eldest brother had witnessed before, because of her love for him. And it somehow made her more beautiful: her turquoise eyes bright and shining, lashes spiked with unshed tears, and her high cheeks the deep shade of spring roses. As the wind tugged a few errant curls across her face, she looked for once the very picture of a woman who needed a man to tell her it would all be okay. "It's just that... one cannot control the heart. It loves where it will, and no one to blame for it. It was a stupid thing to fear, and I'm sorry for it," she said, ducking her head and pressing her brow against the middle of Vanator's chest.
Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Character sheet

Postby Vanator on September 29th, 2010, 4:59 pm

As Kashik spoke, Vanator did indeed see her in a way he usually did not. His wife was bold, confident and ceaselessly positive. Seeing her vulnerable, the uncertainty in her bright teal eyes, reminded him she was still a young woman, one that still needed reassurance. It pained him to know she believed he loved Khiara more than her. It was true that he shared something with the Vantha, the loss of a loved one, that had drawn the Drykas and Vanthan together from the beginning. He had not planned on Khiara traveling with them, being a part of their lives. He had finally found someone he could spend his life with, and he had wanted to spend time bonding and nurturing their young marriage. But the longer Khiara stayed, the more Kashik took her under her wing, the longer Van had to maintain a respectful distance, the more he contemplated making her part of the family.

As Kashik rested her head against his chest, Van wrapped his arms around her firmly, his head bending to press a kiss against her curly dark hair. He appreciated her openness, expressing feelings she surely had concealed since the three of them left Riverfall. He hooked her chin with his finger and lifted her head so he could look into her eyes. "Kashik, no one will change how I love you. I do share a common bond with Khiara, but you and I have something that she will never have....a Drykas heart and Drykas passion. You are the light of my day Kash, the fire of my heart. Khiara is my moon. The moon will never supplant or diminish the sun, both exist in harmony, both have their unique beauty and qualities. I love you so much Kash, even more knowing you had doubts but still prepared Khiara for life among the Drykas. My desire for you has never been stronger, and I want to build a beautiful family with you."

Van's took Kashik's hands in his own, male and female weapon-calloused palms held tightly together. "Once we begin our family, I would like to make Khiara one with us. She loves you Kashik, you have been a friend and mentor to her. I don't know how she would feel about it, how she feels about our people's tradition." Van's gaze drank in his wife's features, finding her exceptionally beautiful and radiant, even after the hard hunt. "When the time comes, I could make her my wife regardless, but I want to know my first wife and keeper of my heart approves."
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kashik on September 30th, 2010, 1:46 pm

She sighed heavily at his protestations of love, her smile returning as he took her hand. It was hard, harder than she'd realized - she'd been prepared, intellectually, for what it would mean to be First Wife, but she hadn't quite understood what it would entail, what it would require of her heart. But then, who does? she thought, and chuckled at herself.

"I do approve," she said with a nod, twining her scarred fingers with Van's. "Besides just being her, she's everything a Second Wife should be - she's nurturing, careful, supportive, and never hesitates to lend a hand when needed. When we have children, and even more so when you become Ankal, we would both be blessed to have her at our sides." She peered up at him, and something shrewd and amused lit behind her eyes, and her smile broadened and became teasing. "Just... cut me some slack if I find a sudden need to visit my family after you wed her. I've just gotten used to having you, it will take me a bit to get used to sharing you," she said with a sly wink.
Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Character sheet

Postby Vanator on October 2nd, 2010, 9:49 pm

At Kashik's confession and wink, a broad smile spread across Vanator's face, his arms wrapping around Kashik's waist and pulling her closer. Kash once again effortlessly went from youthful uncertainty to teasing seduction. He caught her blue-green eyes again, their openness drawing him to press his lips against hers in a deep reassuring kiss before speaking in an encouraging voice. "Well, I don't think we have to worry about that for a while, we haven't even started our family, you and I will have plenty of time with just the two of us." He winked, his grin turning wry.

To be honest, Vanator was not sure how to live with two wives. His father had three, though he knew that Eachann had is favorite. Vanator's mother was his first wife, but it was obvious that his second wife, a Konti name Ak'aya, was the darling of his heart. It was not always easy for the son to watch, but he loved Ak'aya, and could not hold it against her. Van did not want to play favorites when he began his family, he wanted to be able to appreciate each for who they were and the unique talents and gifts they possessed. He hoped to better his father in that respect.

For now, the Drykas did want to enjoy the moment with his wife. Leaning in, Van kissed Kashik again, more intense than before, the kind of kiss Kashik knew indicated her husband's specific intent. Hand on her hips, Vanator gently pushed, guiding her back to the patch of grass between the Striders. His gold-flecked dark eyes met the teal sparkle of the Drykas woman with a knowing look. Another impassioned kiss ensued, accompanied by the fervor of hands and fingers feverishly removing armor, unfastening weapon belts, stripping off tunics and breeches and boots. Finally, the bronze-skinned husband lowered his young wife to the grass, the two entwining with one another and indulging each other as their mounts snickered, all too used to the couples grassland practices.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tundris on October 31st, 2010, 1:47 am

Kashik
+1 Persuasion
Lores:
Calming The Nerves of One's Husband, Settling Matters of Marriage, Establishing Trust and Deep Bonds, Everyone Has A Role, Compassion For A Fellow Woman, Swallowing Pride, Allowing Vulnerability to Show, Expressing Blunt Honesty, Living in the Moment

Vanator
+2 Persuasion
+1 Negotiation
Lores:
Settling Matters of Marriage, Establishing Trust and Deep Bonds, Expressing Concerns Regarding the Acceptance of a Second Wife, Negotiating Matters of the Heart, Drykas Marital Culture, Establishing Polygamous Marriages, Living in the Moment

Notes: Glad to see you are exploring this aspect of Drykas culture, it really sets in stone just how things are done between ankal and wives, but also how foreigners are treated - driving home the point that the drykas notion of family extends beyond blood.
Tundris
Mother Drykas

Words: 59440
Joined roleplay: December 13th, 2009, 10:30 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)