Closed Into The Maw of Madness

(Evalin) Into the woods...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Into The Maw of Madness

Postby Perplexity on May 3rd, 2015, 11:02 pm

Evalin’s search through the study of the long dead mage would prove fruitful. In the brief glimpses she snatched through her auristic vision a suprising object would be found in one of the pockets of the dead wizard. A small wooden box over which was a simple Shield. It barred no passage except to assist in protecting the integrity of the box itself against damage. The box was locked should Evalin attempt to open it. However, the latch of the box had a most peculiar mechanism. An indented circle small but precise. It looked as if something fit over the knob that remained.

In the brief examination of the box that would take place, a terrible pain would lance through Evalin. Though the link she shared with her Familiar the vision of a pale hand reaching forth from the darkness would enter her mind. Panic would filter its way through the bond she shared with Tsenrika before that bond, that connection she cherished with her long standing Familiar, vanished. Although perhaps vanished wasn’t exactly the right word. Evalin would be able to feel Tsenrika. The general awareness that her Irylid Familiar was still alive resonated within the core of her being, but there stood a wall between Evalin and the fluid exchange of thoughts between the two. For the first time in a long time, Evalin’s mind was left in isolation. The only thoughts that drifted in her head were her own and any attempt to reach Tsenrika would be met with agony.
Dark laughter filtered up through the shadows.

How easily she leaves unguarded the treasures of her soul.” The deep voice spoke above the chorus of whispers barking laughter.

Ha! Answer us this, she pretends at godhood, but does she know what that means? How many lives has she consumed in her quest for power? How many lights will she extinguish, how many breaths will she steal from how many mouths?” The house trembled. Dust shook from the rafters. The ground rumbled and cracks formed in some of the walls. All around the house, Glyphs illuminated, Shields flared, their glow pushed back the shadows that clung to the skeletal structure. A frustrated cry echoed in the night as the rumbling abated. It became clear then that the wards put in place over this structure were holding something back...but it was also clear that those wards were weakening. The great voice made silent the choir of whispers that accompanied it, speaking angrily over the rest of them.

What does she know of Wrath!? What does she know of Vengeance? Of Emptiness and Darkness? NOTHING!” Crippling pain would again spike its way through Evalin before ebbing away slowly.

You are a fragile thing. Your kind withers so easily…

Perplexity's Office Status

Perplexity
DS of Zeltiva, Mod Privileges in Wildlands

Words: 440795
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Into The Maw of Madness

Postby Evalin on May 3rd, 2015, 11:43 pm

As the box was brought OUT Evalin would turn it over in her hands, examening it and tracing a nail over the grooved circle. Locked as it was The immortal could not satisfy her curiosity, but after a moments thought she remebered something roughky similar in shape. Something that rested over theknuckle of her left middle finger. It was just as she began to remove that object from its resting place that the pain came. A pain that madd her knees buckle and her hands lose hold of the box so that it fell and bounched on the floor at er feet.

After the pain came something worse. Silence. Her mind was empty, her soul was alone just like before in the fOrest. She was cut off from Tsenrika. Her mind was hers and hers alone. That terrified her. Through the pain and shock evalin managed to stand, and rhe words filtered through both Tsen and Eva so that neither could ignore their meaning.

He was not gone. No, just barely, she could feel him still. Like a sound that faded to the softest echhos yet even so it was there. She was alive and soTsenrika was as well. That wasall she required. Scooping up the box Evalin began making her way toward the familiar, working the ring from her finger as she did.

"Hundreds. Perhaps thousands of lives have i cinsumed. Their breath and existance gave to me a few more seasons to continue." the words hissed through her teeth with a mixture of anger, pain and a trace of fear thst set a hard edge too every word, "Such is done because i must. The lives of the wesk give strength to the monster that haunts even an adults nightmare, but so must it be!"

Eva gripped the edge of the doorframe as rhe house suddered but she did not halt, "Speak you not to me and question my conviction oh spirit of the dark. I know of Wrath by the burning fires lit within my oul and that which shines from the eyes of those who grovel in the mud whilethe fat and wealthy revel in their undeserved riches!" The ring came free and Evalin began fitting it intonthe spot she believed it to go, "I know vengence from the outcries of the innocent that rage and beg that their tortureres be ended! I know that wrenching desire that breaks aoart the soul like the crashing waves upon the wrockig shore. "

"I am the hatred left behind by the victims of eternity. I am the monster cradted to carry that wrath to the greatest threats of all, and i am the vengence the world seeks to come upon this very land!"

When the ring eas in place eva would try to open the box but still she didnot slow, "This world is rotting and long sense past its dying breath. I am the clensing fire that will scourh this land until nothing is left. I am the freezing ice that will kill the lights of an old and corripted world so that the darkness may consume it! I am the monster that WILL carryout the vengence of this world on the gods themselves fortheir failure to it!"

Coming around to where she felt Tsenrikas oresnence Evalin would once more try to open the box, "Speak not of things you do noy uderstand. My soul needs no protection for it was forfeited long ago to achieve this final act to the worLd. My wrat WILL rain uPon theworld and frim it will come something new! For that i care not for my soul or my life. Be damned that nd ajny who would stand in my way. Care i only for the power that will set fire to the gods themselves!"
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Into The Maw of Madness

Postby Perplexity on May 4th, 2015, 12:45 am

Tsenrika’s essence could be traced to the staircase. Evalin’s path stopped there. As the ring was slipped into place over the box however, the small whirring of gears would catch the sorceress’s attention. As the lid opened the air was filled with a melancholy melody. A music box. Old but of master craftsmanship befitting the grandeur the house might once have held. The notes drifted poingnantly into the dark and as they drifted through the air, corresponding Glyphs upon the surface of the wall brightened with each note. The voice remained silent but in its place there came the weight of sadness and ancient grief. An uncontrollable urge to follow the light of the Glyphs would overcome Evalin. She was compelled to go where the music lead her.

While Evalin could not rise up the steps, her wandering through the dark would be guided by the Glyphs that brightened with the notes of the music box. As they shined, the Glyphs and whatever power they contained were expended. Charred markings were left in the wake of Evalin’s passing as she was brought once again to the greenhouse. The rosebush, bathed in moonlight, radiating with unseen power, the violet edges suddenly glowed brightly. With each passing note, the flowers bloomed to the fullest extent of their life before withering. One by one the roses wilted as the bush and whatever power it was enchanted with faded with the music. When the final note of the music box faded the Shield that had encompassed the unknown object flared brightly before bursting into a shower of violet embers. Resting upon a stone pedestal, encircled by the corpse of the rose bush was an amulet.

A clear jewel with five points at the heart of which rest a spiral rose. Held upon a silver chain it was this object that the Shield had protected. Immediately, Evalin’s trance would be broken with the ending of the music. As she beheld the amulet, a very real, very near voice came behind her. It was different. It was not the fierce echo that had been following her the whole of the night. There was no terrible chorus of whispers. This voice was not the booming crack of thunder that had scoffed at her efforts, it was small. It was sad.

Then maybe you are worthy.” Upon turning around, Evalin would come face to face with a young girl. Her hair, a bright gold reminiscent of a field of swaying wheat. Her face held an infinite sadness. The air soon began to be weighted with a crushing grief all emanating from this girl. She was dressed in red with eyes a deep scarlet to match the color of her garb. Those eyes looked down to look upon an icy orb that rest in her hands. She stroked the surface gently.

It was dark where he left me. The world was cold…so very cold. He left us in our cells until one by one there was only me. I used to wonder where the others went. I used to shed tears over my loneliness.” She lifted her eyes. There was not hate in them. Nor was there the vengeful wrath of an ancient spirit. There was only sadness.

Until I found out where they all went. Now I’m never alone.” She released Tsenrika who immediately drifted back over to Evalin. Their connection surged forth, the wall that had formed between them evaporated as soon as the girl released him. The girl clasped her hands behind her back eyes leveling Evalin with an emotionless stare.

You have amused me, Evangeline. That is a pleasure I have been denied for ages beyond counting.” The girl stepped into the greenhouse. She looked over the walls her face devoid of feeling.

For centuries these walls have been my gallows. My maker was a clever and powerful man. He knew me. He made me and thus he knew how to bind me. But I would not be denied. They faded with time. My last act of vengeance before being sealed away was to steal from him his final breath. Those bonds are broken now thanks to you.” She cast a glance toward Evalin an appraising look in her eyes.

You are powerful, I will grant you that. Strong enough to give me pause for thought. But tell me, why should I not exact my revenge upon the world beginning with you? Why should I not burn you until the ground you stand upon is naught but glass? You claim to know vengeance. The thought brings a smile to my face. But why? You’ve spouted endlessly that you are vengeance. Why do you feel so driven to right the wrong that is this broken world?” The girl came to a stop not but a foot or so away from Evalin.

Perplexity

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Into The Maw of Madness

Postby Evalin on May 4th, 2015, 1:51 am

It was a music boX. In away it stunned Eva that such a thing would exit in a placd such as this. What was it for? Why was it here? It seemed those answers were coming on their own. The tune was sad yet melodic and it drew her in and engrossed her perceptions. Before se knew it she was walking, lead by a will that was not her own And a series of flashing glyphs on the wall.

It lead her to the green house and there rthe music made the myserious plant blume and reveal something unexpected beneath. The last note faded and where once there was a beautiful obstruction was a necklace unlike any other. Her will was then her own once more, but just whenshewas about to extend a hand to touch the jeweled necklace a voice mase her turn.

A girlwith scarlet eyes. Evalin might have laughed attheirony if iy wasnt so unexpected. In her hands she held theheart of her heart and when released that returning connection was like breathing after holding an eternal breath, and with it came aacollective clairity to considerwhat was said.

The most absurd part of this was howeasily Evalin was accepting whatwas happening, so much so that her mind would be a buzz for days after. Never before had she been so bluntly asked her reasons, and she could feel Tsenriks pressing on her mind. Questioning her just as much as this entity was.

One hand wnt absentky to her neck, a subconcious action that she barely noticed. After a short few ticks ofsilence Eva would look at this creature, a mixture of curiosity and uncertainty on her face, "Why you ask..."

She fell silent again and glanced away before continuingc her fingrrs curking into a fist as she looked back, "Because if it were not me then who? The mortals are weak and spinless, consumed with fear doethemselves and holding onto a sense of moralitybthat henders their ability to do what must be done. They cry for change.... but none but me are willing to accept all that emplies." Eva turned fully tolookat the woman, "Strike me down if you wish, if youhave the power to do so but know i would not fall so easily. I fear not what may become of me because i have tak3n upon myself the anger and hate ofthe world. I am a monster who chose this when there was no one else that would save me. I will do what others cannot."

"I am the Immortal Witch Evangeline. My curse is to be the destruction this world deserves. "
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Into The Maw of Madness

Postby Perplexity on May 4th, 2015, 2:39 am

Pretty words but they do not answer my question. They dance around the heart of it. You speak of championing the meek and downtrodden. What for? The destruction this world deserves? Please. Do not debase yourself with such frivolous poetry. I ask you why are YOU so intent on this destruction? What is it to you that the weak are left as food for the carrions? Because you want to rid the world of weakness?” The girl scoffed.

Spare me your rhetoric. Mortals destroy themselves well enough. They will turn to moss and dust while we who are eternal stare into the void awaiting the end of time. ” The girl shrugged her shoulders.

Nevertheless the fact that you believe that you can achieve such a thing amuses me. Even if you do not even know your own convictions. That much is quite obvious. You are young however, a fragile thing. But I tire of this banter. Too long have I been contained to this paltry structure. Too long have I been a prisoner.

The girl considered Evalin an amused smirk touching her lips. In the blink of an eye the girl was suddenly standing directly in front of Evalin. Her face was level with the Wretched One. A hand came to rest on the side of the witch’s neck. It was a gentle caress but it carried with it the sickening weight of confusion, distortion, the unfamiliarity of one’s own essence. All around the girl the crushing presence of grief, misery and sorrow slicked the air.

Even now I could rip from you your dead heart, tear the flesh from your bones, drink the breath from your lungs.” A chuckled bubbled out of the girl’s throat.

I see defiance in your eyes. You think yourself my match? How quaint.” The caress of a finger upon Evalin’s cheek. It was enough to make one’s skin crawl. The girl sighed wearily.

Still, I suppose you are owed something for aiding in my release.” She stepped back pondering for a moment before a wicked grin spread across her face. She pointed to the jeweled amulet resting on the pedestal. Then reached into her pocket retrieving a small orb, black as pitch and smooth as polished glass, inside the orb swirled dark mists streaking the orb with ashen grey.

There are now three objects in this room. Objects of power. Objects of ancient mystery.” She began pacing the room watching Evalin with a smile.

The first of these objects will protect you from even the greatest of wizards but in so doing it may also destroy you. The second of these objects will put a mirror to shame. But as you become a perfect reflection of the world around you, you will lose sight of yourself until you become nothing. The third of these objects will open a door. But not just any door. A single door behind which is a secret the world has forgotten. Where that door is? What is behind it? That is your journey and not my concern.” The girl came to stand at the doorway to the greenhouse. She gestured to the room.

Choose.” She left unsaid which object was which. For all Evalin knew, she could have been lying. Flat eyes studied the Immortal Witch.

And if you do not choose, you die.

Perplexity

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Into The Maw of Madness

Postby Evalin on May 4th, 2015, 3:27 am

Evalin clenched her jaw as the girl spoke and only barely stayed her tongue. Were it not for Tsenrikas cold encouragement she might have said something she regretted. As the offers were made to her Evalins eyes dance between them silently, contemplating their worth.

The first sounds to be the most useful. Would i have liked to have it with that infuriating Ignotus.

what good is a shield that kills you even so? Tsenrika pointed out hovering closer to her shoulder, the second sounds curious then. Somethingthat reflects the world...

Yes but then one might lose herself... it is different than to lose your form or identity. To lose who you actually are, it wiuld be worse than death.

It was a choice heavily deliberated and indeed not easily made. Evalin glanced at the necklace and made the assumption that it was the item that would grant protection. It waa the thing that had sealed this creature after all but in time it had weakened. The little orb was possibly the mirror and while evalin was greatly intrigued she knew its risk wiuld be as great as its reward that thn just left one thing, somethingthat msy very well be a lie but itnoffered something the others did not. An unknown potential.

"Very well. If i must choose Then i would choose the item that will unlock a door of unknown value, however..." folding her hands at her waist Evalin took a step closer, eyes searching the girl, "what i really desire is none of these things. I wish for something simpler if you will indulge a fragile being such as myself." she waited a tick or two just to see if she were allowed to speak. Despite her pride and confidence Evalin did not wish to test her limits. Not yet at least.

"I desire what i have said since the begining. I wish to know you. What is your name... and if you desired i would offer something else to one who i deam greater than my current self. An offer to come with me or call upon me if you desire."

It was a gamble, one that the Irylid disliked greatly but Evalin knew she had to try. What was this thing and how did it come into being? Where coudshe find the answers, and could she become like her... for surely this creatures power could be used to bring about her ultimate enD goal.
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Into The Maw of Madness

Postby Perplexity on May 4th, 2015, 3:48 am

The girl contemplated an unknown thing. She studied Evalin then strode forward picking up the smoky black orb. She took one of Evalin’s hands placing the orb into her palm. It was light, no heavier than a stone plucked from a river. The surface was perfectly smooth and cool to the touch. It practically hummed with power. This was an old thing.

The road ahead of you is a long one, Evangeline.” The girl turned picking up the amulet placing it around her neck. She drew her garments about herself more closely setting out to leave the house that had been her prison for so long. She paused as Evalin posed her question. Real and true emotion touched the girl’s eyes as she stared at the Wretched One before her. In that look there was pity. There was empathy. There was sadness that was centuries old.

Ophelia. My name was Ophelia. It is perhaps the only part of myself that I held onto.” Ophelia looked up into the night sky closing her eyes breathing in the world, a world she was free to roam for the first time in such a very long time. When the moment passed she eyed Evalin.

Be of your own devices. If you can figure out what those are. You seek power without purpose and are thus a black void that will consume everything until it becomes nothing. That is not what I want. One day we will meet again, Evangeline. One day I may look upon you as my equal, perhaps even my better. That day will never come to pass until you discover what it is that you really live for. Even if the life that you live is a half-life, a stolen life. There are fools who now cower in their bedsheet, my release is known to them. I have revenge to visit upon the heads of my prison crafters.” Her dark eyes considered Evalin one more time before they began to adopt a fiery quality. The shadows began to gather around her.

You are a fragile thing, Evangeline. Make strong your armor lest you fall prey to the machinations of fools.” The shadows of the night it seemed enveloped Ophelia…and she was gone. No overbearing presence lingered in the empty house. A cloud drifted across the sky interrupting the brilliance of Leth’s moonlight. Evalin had been given a key but she had also unleashed into the world a force that was unknown even to her.

What had she done?

Perplexity

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Into The Maw of Madness

Postby Evalin on May 4th, 2015, 4:05 am

There was a feeling that tightened in the immortals chest. It burned bth hot nand cold at the same time as she watched the woman leave, not saying a word as she accepted the orb and closed her fingers firmly around it.

"Ophelia... i will remember this." She was annoyed, frustrated, relieved...yet somehow sad as she found herself alone again despite her familiars presence. Evalin looked down at the music box she stil held in her hand and would slowly try and remove the ring from where it inserted to slide it once more over her finger. The orb pulsed with power in her hand and in a way it was beautiful in that eva had no idea what it was for. Soeshe simply held it close toher chest as she made her way slowly out of the house.

The immortal half expected to be assaulted by whispers and that powerful presence once more, but looking around Ophelia was no where to be seen. Where would they meet next? With a sigh Evalin looked down at the orb, feelingher magic rise toer eyes one final timeto see if it would offer anh cluse before setting off, not toward Zeltiva but south, back to Riverfall where her children were waiting.
ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Into The Maw of Madness

Postby Perplexity on May 4th, 2015, 4:47 am

You have played well, but the game is at an end.

You have been bested. Beaten. Checkmate!

However, here is a consolation prize: a wealth of Experience and Lores! If you have any questions or concerns regarding this grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM. I'll be more than happy to assist you!

Evalin
XP
  • Intimidation | +3 EXP
    Tracking | +3 EXP
    Investigation | +5 EXP
    Interrogation | +2 EXP
    Logic | +3 EXP
    Morphing | +4 EXP
    Auristics | +5 EXP
    Reimancy | +1 EXP
    Familiary | +1 EXP
    Running | +1 EXP