I'm new here, but I've noticed something is missing: Fossils

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Zephari on May 8th, 2015, 10:38 pm

I am new to mizahar and I am really loving it, however I have run into a bit of a gap in mizahar lore. My character is a geologist and loves everything having to do with the earth, and digging in it. So we do have our lists of minerals, metals, ores, and gems. But I can find no evidence of any type of fossil anywhere. I don't know if this has been overlooked, or had been ignored on purpose, but I think it is something that could add significant value to the game, mainly in finding pre-valterrian remains, which could be of use and high value to the right people. Its just something I wanted to put out as an idea, and if anyone thinks this could work, please respond!
Zephari
The Collector

Words: 107646
Joined roleplay: February 22nd, 2015, 7:27 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Sedge on May 9th, 2015, 12:10 am

You're right in that, so far as I know, nothing's really been developed for fossils. That said, Pre-Valterrian remains in the usual sense, creatures from the time of the Alahean and Suvan Empires, would not have fossilized -- not over a timescale of centuries. Not without some kind of magical or divine cause, and if that happened, they wouldn't be fossils the way we usually apply that word. So fossils don't really work there.

You'd have to go to really deep history, back to protohumans or even earlier for fossilization to apply. So far as I have seen, those timescales aren't exactly firm -- did Protohumans live thousands, tens of thousands, millions of years ago? -- and I don't believe much is known about the time before them IC or OOC. Not beyond the broad strokes already covered in the lore.

Finally, the peoples of Mizahar have a level of understanding that likely doesn't include the fossilization process. (With perhaps the exception of the Isur, who were largely sheltered from the Valterrian and are more intimately concerned with the depths of the earth.) So bear in mind that while stone bones might be an interesting curiosity, they aren't necessarily well-understood by Mizaharan geologists, much less well-catalogued -- never mind the fossil record as the timeline that modern RL science has established.

It could be feasible to do something like build some local myths/legends around fossil remains, similar to how it's thought the Cyclops myth may have originated with skulls of ancient elephants. These fables are likely to be specific to a domain, so you might work with your local storyteller to put some together.
Image Image Image
Sedge
Scrivener

Words: 34531
Joined roleplay: November 15th, 2014, 6:37 pm
Race: Human
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Nightmare on May 20th, 2015, 10:32 pm

Part of the issue is that the Valeterrain also destroyed much of Mizahar's fossil record as well. There might be surviving fossils in the earth, but it wouldn't be traceable back to certain time periods. There is simply no reference point to build a geo-archaeological timeline. Pre-valeterrain they likely had a usable fossil record, but not in modern Mizahar.
If you have an concerns, questions or problems please PM me right away. I am here to assist and can usually get a reply within a day or two if not sooner.
If you haven't gotten a response from me within five days, please PM me again!
Nightmare
The part of you that you always fear

Words: 254197
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2014, 11:45 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)