Solo [Job] Sing me a song.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

[Job] Sing me a song.

Postby Bartholomew on April 30th, 2015, 7:32 am

11th Day of Spring, 515 AV

Light was never the type of guy to fall in love, but that was mostly because Light was never allowed to love. He had crushes, moments in time where he made love, but he never fell in love with anyone. Although, he did love his mother, his father, and his sister. Even still, there was a difference between love for family and love for partners. He knew there was, but he didn't feel the difference himself.

So when Vanessa asked him if he could help her write a love song, he couldn't possibly answer yes. "Why not?" She had asked him as soon as he had answered. As a response, Light shook his head and said- "I don't know what love is, Vanessa. I can't write about something I don't know."

She scoffed. "I write about things I don't know all the time!" She said to him. Light didn't feel that her argument was going to help her get him to help her. Light wasn't her, he couldn't make up and mix up words just for the sake of some money. He needed reason and inspiration. If it was something about love, he needed personal inspiration.

"At least hear what I got?" Vanessa asked him, very excited to speak of her work. Light looked at her ecstatic expression mixed with her cute puppy dog eyes and felt weak. She could make him do anything as long as she looked at him pleadingly. He was happy, though, that she did not discover that yet.

"Sure," Light said to her reluctantly. "But this better not be a trick to get me to help you write."

Vanessa smiled at him. "I can get you to help me write without a trick." Light winced at that. Did she really know how to control him?

"Alright." She placed a notepad on the table both of them sat at. Light grabbed the mug next to him and drunk it's alcoholic content while Vanessa shuffled from page to page looking for something in particular.

"You got time to write while you work, Vanessa?" Light asked her curiously. Vanessa slowly looked at him then turned to look at the people around them, the setting around them.

They were in the Malt House. Lanterns burned from every corner of the building, illuminating every wood, metal and skin it touched. There weren't a lot of people in this bar today. A family just south of Light ate together. One father, one mother, and one boy. The boy was buoyant to speak over the Ravosala Regatta. It was an event where boats of different sizes were dressed with lanterns of beauteous patterns. Light enjoyed the event because it reminded him of the possible beauty that was Ravok. The boy wanted it to come soon, but there was still another 90 days to go. The Regatta happened during fall when the trees shed its leaves and the ground turned red. Spring had not yet past and Summer was not yet close. Yet the boy was given hope and happiness of its forthcoming by his parents; and he waited ever so impatiently for 100 days to come and go within a bell. Innocence was beautiful.

There was another man to the side of them, enjoying his meal by himself. Light had remembered seeing this man before with a bunch of friends. They were laughing, punching each other on the shoulders, and enjoying their time together before the days went dark. The man was happy then; but now that he was all by his lonesome it seems that the effect of isolation was weighing heavy on him. Light almost wanted to go over and talk to that man, but he had a job to do.

"I don't see any cause to continue working," Vanessa answered.

She sat next to Light, still shuffling through her list of songs that she had either created or copied. She had enough to sing through the entire season, but everyone always preferred her to sing Ol' Rhysol's Ravok. Every once-in-a-while she would need to beg the people to allow her to sing something of her creation. At times it was funny to Light; at others it angered Light to fault. The rude comments that some people would throw at her would be too much, and he would need to hold himself back from embarrassing those people with his arcane abilities, his intelligence, or his weapons.

"Found it!" Vanessa chimed. She squeaked with excitement then folded her notebook to where only one page showed. She acted way younger than her actual age. At moments, Light thought of her as his younger sister and would act like her older brother.

She began to frown at him. Light look surprised and couldn't help but question her reason for it. "What?" He asked with small laughter. She continued to frown. "Don't laugh at me if it's bad..." Vanessa said to him. Light shook his head, relieved that her reason for frowning was nothing serious. "If its funny, I'll laugh my arse off," he replied. She stuck out her tongue, then looked only at the paper.

"Oh my heart, Oh my love, Oh my joy:

I had a love.
Her name was beauteous.
Her characteristic was as pure as a white dove.
And her love was contagious.

She made my heart sink.
She could play me like a toy.
She could get anyone, you'd think.
Oh my heart, oh my love, oh my joy.

I came to her one day,
With a flower in my hand,
And loads of words to say,
And when I met her I could barely stand.

I told her I love her.
She laughed at my confession ploy.
Then said her love for me was much greater.
Oh my heart, oh my love, oh my joy."

When she recited this to Light it came out as a beautiful song. Since her voice was engaging, the words produced flowed smooth, paced slowly, and was very meaningful. Light heard her sing every day, and he heard her play the harp beautifully, so when he imagined this poem turned music he imagined everyone giving her a standing ovation. But there was something wrong, he could read it all over Vanessa's face. She seemed to have great conflict inside her.

"What's tickling you?" Light finally asked. Vanessa looked at him like he had suddenly taken her out of another world and placed her in a unknown one. "I don't know where to take it from there..." She replied. To that Light huffed.

"Alright, let's see what we can do... How about we take this another route?"

Vanessa looked at Light confusedly again. "What do you mean?" She inquired.

"Well, with all this is talking about his love for a woman... Maybe this woman should break the singers heart?"

Vanessa's eyes opened wide, along with her jaw, as though she just had an aha moment. She quickly moved back to her notebook, grabbed a pen, dipped it in ink, then began writing. "Glad to be of help," Light said to himself.
Last edited by Bartholomew on June 1st, 2015, 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bartholomew
Player

Words: 98215
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2015, 3:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Job] Sing me a song.

Postby Bartholomew on June 1st, 2015, 2:02 am

A door to the Malt House opened suddenly, and Light couldn't help the sudden jump he made. Out of wariness, his hand moved to the handle of the sword on his back and his eyes darted towards the entrance. There stood a man in black armor with a mask that covered his face. He had a sword at his hilt and a muscles the size of boulders. The man looked intimidating, Light never enjoyed intimidating men.

"I got it!" Vanessa screamed out and startled Light a lot more. She looked at him and he looked at her. "What's wrong?" She asked him. Light sighed and shook his head. "Nothing, he replied." His heart began to settle back to its normal pace as Vanessa began to speak to him about how much she liked her new song. She thanked Light and he accepted her thanks.

The man that Light was wary of trudged slowly to the bar and sat there. He made an order, but Light couldn't hear what he said. Vanessa called forth too much of his attention, and when he finally acknowledge her she looked concerned.

"Why do you look so serious Light? Is something going on?" She looked into his eyes as though she was searching for something. His worrying was probably starting to worry her. He couldn't hide his solemn expression so instead he kept it and tried to lie to her. "Nothing," he said to her, she didn't look convinced.

"Anyway," he tried to change the subject. "Did you finish your song?" Still a little worried, Vanessa answered yes to him after a long pause. Light smiled at her, the friendly smile he tried to have when ever his heart wasn't filled with anxiety. It only came out false. She knew something was wrong, and the more he would hide it the more worried she became. He tried to hide it well, but it was too impossible. And the impossible became even more when he heard an unfamiliar voice speak behind him.

Sssong you sssay? The same masked figure from before stood at Light's back. He had a cup in his hand and dagger in the other. His voice was deeply silent yet clear to understand. Was it a whisper of death Light heard, or the sound of a man?

Light quickly jumped from his seat and made haste to his bastard blade and dagger handle. If his bastard sword was too slow to un-sheath then his dagger would work finely. The chair that he sat in fell down on the mans foot and stayed there as the masked figure looked at Light. This male was large in muscular physique and very tall. Although Light stood a good six inches, this male towered over him. If he was an enemy, Light didn't know what he would be able to do.

The male laughed. Look at you. I obvioussssly presssent mysssssself asss a threat, and inssstead of being fearful you look like you want to kill me? Have you no fear?

Was this a taunt or a praise? Light didn't know a thing about this man. Was he speaking or whispering; was he taunting or praising; is he an enemy or friendly? Every answer came with 'I don't know.'

Don't look ssso conflicted. I am only here to lisssten to thissss ssssong you were sssspeaking of.

This man spoke slowly as though he was enjoying every sentence. It was very eerie. Obviously this man had worked a lot on intimidating someone. If Light couldn't hold his cool he would probably attack him this instance.

He laughed again. I know who thissss lasssssss isss. The masked man pointed to Vanessa who had stayed in her seat and now stared at him with confusion and fear. And, if you manage to make me happy about your sssong, I will allow you to liiiiive.

So he was an enemy as Light figured. This man was an enemy that needed to be dealt with quickly; so, Light pulled out his bastard sword but dropped it as soon as he came into fighting stance. The man, who not long ago stood four paces from Light, had his fist connected to Light's gut. Light felt metal pushing his stomach and nearly dropped to his knees. The only thing that was keeping him standing up was his will to see this man killed.

Oooooh. You're a tough one, the man chimed then grabbed Light by the collar and hoisted him over his head. Light understood why he felt metal now and why the punch to his gut paralyzed him. The man was wearing metal gloves, and it hurt like hell upon contact with his body. Before Light knew what would happened next the left side of his body was sent crashing through a table.

There was no rebound from this; there was no getting up. Light was forced to stare up at the man from the ground, unable to even lift a finger now. He had been bested by someone more clearly skilled than him. He tasted metal in his mouth and figured that it had something to do with his blood being coughed up from his throat. The man laughed, and Light finally figured out the answer to another one of his questions about this man. He was taunting Light.

Light fought to keep his eyes opened and his ears hearing, but there was nothing else he could do. From his eyes he could see Vanessa hover over him; from his ears he could hear Vanessa speak. "Wait, wait!" She said in a frightened voice. There was no need to wonder who she was speaking to. "I'll sing, I'll sing! I'll sing you a song!"

Internally Light screamed for Vanessa to run, but externally Light moaned in pain. A small intake of breath could be heard from Vanessa and he fathomed the thought of what came next. Vanessa sung:

"I had a love.
Her name was beauteous.
Her characteristic was as pure as a white dove.
And her love was contagious.

She made my heart sink.
She could play me like a toy.
She could get anyone, you'd think.

I came to her one day,
With a flower in my hand,
And loads of words to say,
And when I met her I could barely stand.

I told her I love her.
She laughed at my confession ploy.
Then said her love for me was much greater.

One day I was out to fetch a pale of water,
And saw her locking lips with another man.
When I came to her the next day to claim that I saw her,
She said 'yes and his name is Stan.'

Apparently Stan has more money,
He isn't a little boy.
He's richer than a king.
So she dumped me none dubiously,
And left me here to sing,
Of how I lost everything.
I lost my heart, and my love, and my joy."

When Vanessa was finished singing, she and Light waited breathlessly for the mans decision. Would he kill her? Would Light need to jump from the table and attack the man? He could feel his body responding to him again. His legs and arms could be lifted and his strength was slowly retuning. Light tried to get up, but his body refused. The throw had an affect on him. It mad him feel weak, but the adrenaline in his systems was all he needed to defend him and Vanessa. Against his bodies protest, Light lifted himself up to face the enemy again. However, the enemy was not there.

Apparently, the man had enjoyed Vanessa's song. He had given money to Grayson to pay for the table damage then immediately left with an amused laughter echoing from his mask. The time after that was spent cleaning up the Malt House and nursing Light's injuries. Light had no broken bones, surprisingly, just a bruised body. A month would probably pass before he recovered from this; however, this day, that man, and these injuries on his body would be etched in his memories.

Light's pride was destroyed and only a broken mess of anger and pain remained. How could he call himself Son of a Paladin or protector of Ravok when he couldn't handle that man? That punch and that throw that Light took would forever be a reminder of how weak he is. When he could stand on his own he made a vow to not rest until he was proven strong and faced who ever that man was and killed him.
Bartholomew
Player

Words: 98215
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2015, 3:02 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Job] Sing me a song.

Postby Elias Caldera on June 12th, 2015, 9:36 pm

Behold, Your Just Reward!

Light Dicey

Experience and Lore :
Skills
  • Rhetoric +2
  • Negotiation +1
  • Persuasion +1
  • Observation +2
  • Storytelling +1
  • Endurance +1

Lores
  • The Beauty of Innocence
  • The Joy of Song
  • Bested by Someone Better
  • The Sting of Defeat

Miscellaneous :
Injuries
  • Bruised and Battered - For 12 days Light will continue to feel the aching effects of the beating he suffered, his stomach and ribs in particular bearing the worst of the pain.

Loot and Expenses
  • None (Lets just say Vannessa took care of the cost of the drinks)

Comments :
    Owned.

lol

Don't Forget

Now that your thread is graded, be sure to edit your grade request. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to send me a private message and we'll work it out together.
Elias Caldera
Playa

Words: 1255799
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2013, 1:28 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)